PDA

View Full Version : Internet Browser Help

hegemonic
27-02-05, 08:33
I got attacked badly by a virus and spyware/adware today without opening or clicking on any popups.

That being said, my IE is borked and FUBAR. There's a program that is taking the text of whatever forum I am viewing and changing key words into links for me to buy shit from.

I can't be fixing my IE every few months because of attacks from the fucktards that make these annoying programs...
SO
----what browser should I use from now on?

TIA,
__bigs__

dark_reaper
27-02-05, 09:19
Just use internet explorer, I had that problem before, Nothing that Ad Aware and Spybot can fix for the ads, and for the Virus use AVG. Now my computer is Ad free and Virus Free.

www.grisoft.com for avg I think, and ad aware i think it is www.lavasoft.com. They are free programs. Spy bot you have to google it.

darknessfairy
27-02-05, 09:55
mozilla or mozilla firefox.... they are what everyone uses atm. keep up with the times lol :rolleyes:

Lexxuk
27-02-05, 16:10
Upgrade to XP SP2 if ur using XP that is, and download Microsofts beta Spyware programme too, it can delete the crap IE picks up. Speaking technically however, IE can be locked down to be as much, if not more secure than Firefox, its just people tend to use the default settings when IE is very powerful. I use IE over firefox any day, and waiting for 7 with bated breath :D

[TgR]KILLER
27-02-05, 17:29
run these 2 lil programs

spybot (http://download.minoc.com/zdnet/dlweek0420/spybotsd13.exe)

and

adaware (http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/)

if that doesn't clean the stuf.. reinstall :p you could go and use firefox.. tho i use just IE.. google's toolbar popup blocker r0x :p

Jesterthegreat
27-02-05, 17:44
yeah use spybot and ad-aware as linked oin this thread... and use firefox :p

www.getfirefox.com

Spoon
27-02-05, 19:06
If your going to keep using IE, set your internet security settings to at least medium...
Or customize it to block Active X controls, or at least give you a prompt to download them...

Active X contols are a popular way to hijack your PC, these days...

btw, System Restore(if you have it enabled), can get rid of those nasties pretty easy.....

Eckhart
27-02-05, 20:03
Stick with IE, Firefox is satanic! ;)

Ive never had problems with IE myself. If I were you I'd just make sure you run AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy regularly.

LOST
28-02-05, 02:18
its also possible you have installed a dodgy shareware/freeware jobbie.

something i installed had the 'GAIN' thing - no matter how many times it was removed, i had to un-install the program. gain used to copy your web addresses or search texts and splurt it back at you with their own searches and sales crap.

just worth thinking about anything you might have recently done bigs.

dark_reaper
28-02-05, 02:51
Another program you have to watch out for is My Search. Just like gain, some times they will set your home page to thiers.

mozilla or mozilla firefox.... they are what everyone uses atm. keep up with the times lol

True, if you dont know how to set the IE, use these softwares. I have em, I just never use them. Also install the Google toolbar toolbar.google.com. It is a very handy popup blocker. Mine has stopped 737 popups so far in the past 6 months.

hegemonic
28-02-05, 08:34
Thank you all VERY much for the help with this. I am taking all advice and I've installed and am actually using Firefox to view this as we speak. I like Firefox because it seems to load pages even faster than IE did...

Anyway, I run Spybot 1.3 a lot but it can't fix the problem, I also did a full scan of my system with Norton Antivirus and that fixed a major problem but not all.

So now I will go with Adaware and AVG in addition.

Thank you all again for all your help.