PDA

View Full Version : weird PC problem

Lexxuk
26-02-05, 13:27
So there I was playin a game, when suddenly artifacts galore, for the first time in any game with this card. So closed down, rebooted etc.. played it again, and a few mins later, more artifacts galore. Rebooted again and noticed visual corruption on my POST screen and on my bootmanager (grub) which wasnt nice.

Powered off, took out VGA, found that the fan on it is supposed to be transparent and is when you remove all the dust :lol: plugged it all back in, turned on, same visual corruption. Downloaded ATITool, ran that to check for artifacts, which it invariably did >.<

Turned PC back on just now, POST clear as a bell, no visual corruptions, which makes me think its an overheating issue, at peak the CPU hits 54c case 32c but I dont know what could be overheating cause I'd pulled the card out to clean it so it would be room temp.

CPU is AMD 2200+ (till Thursday when I win by default against FSL :D) card is ATI 9600Pro 256MB, and grrrr its annoying to have a problem with video just as I buy myself a 17inch LCD :(

mishkin
26-02-05, 14:09
It's a long shot, but try using your old crt-monitor, just to rule it out. If the lcd-controller goes whoops, I'd think the symptoms can look alot like the ones of an overheating gfx-card...

(Graphical corruption usually doesn't show on the POST if it's a gfx-card issue, but it can of course...)

/edit - Should clean the case more often... dust = bad :p (I found dead flies in mine last time I vacuumed it :D )

Lexxuk
26-02-05, 15:51
its not the LCD, that wont arrive till monday. I'm *thinking* its the RAM possibly overheating thru dust, might have to give it a clean i guess, damn dust >.<

CMaster
26-02-05, 18:51
Sounds overheating type thing. Almsot certainly the graphics care overheating thoughg. RAM would just make the whole thing crash viloently, and CPU getting hot should just cause instant shutdown.

Spoon
26-02-05, 23:03
Your Gfx card still overclocked?

You can always use my hillybilly fix for overheating problems....

Remove the case side panel and have a small fan blow in it....

(Temp fix)

:D

dark_reaper
26-02-05, 23:39
Thing about the ATI cards, is that they are nlt compatable with every game, most, but not all. Each card is different. You want to check the compatability with the ATI and the game, you might need to download a driver. But it should work anyway.

Lexxuk
26-02-05, 23:58
Your Gfx card still overclocked?

Nope, only OC'd it to see what I'd get, and that was months back, didnt help score much :lol:

Not the game either, its FFXI and there are no reported ATI probs with that game + the POST screen corrupted.