PDA

View Full Version : Networking AOL

darknessfairy
24-02-05, 21:21
ok some friends have two computers... and they have AOL! I know, its terrible, but there we go!

What we need to do, is learn how to network it without a router/wireless router...

can someone help? cos while they're all playing D&D, it's my job to fix the network!

someone pls????

Love DF

LOST
24-02-05, 21:29
put a second nic in the better computer.
attach both adsl modem and second computer to the better one.
bridge the connection (windows may do it automatically)
check the 'share internet connection' box (in properties of internet connection)

the second computer will pick up from the one connected to the net, but wont be able to do much while the 1st is laden or off.
Edit: by which i mean a dvd written or something as intensive cuts me off.

<- sado also has internet connection sharing, no router.

edit2: if this isnt what you meant- apologies.

enigma_b17
24-02-05, 21:49
aye what he said ^^^

best way to do it is to sort of turn a pc into a router of sorts. Only problem with doing that is that ad-hoc wireless networks dont like encryption an awful lot, so i recommend if u encounter any problems use a firewall to control access through the blocking of specific ip ranges

darknessfairy
24-02-05, 22:24
ok so i bridged the connections! and it didn't work! omfg i need to know how to do this cos i promised i'd fix it, and i dont wanna play D&D so you gotta help me, its keeping me amused so im not noticed :p

enigma_b17
24-02-05, 22:39
uh
ok

rite
tell me the following information and ill do up a little net diagram for u to use :P

1). How many Computers (using a wired connection) are needed to be on the network, apart from the one that will be used as the "router"?

2). How many computers (using wireless connection) are needed to be on the network, apart from the one that will be used as the "router"?

3). How do u connect to the internet?

4). Do u use a hub/switch?

5). What OS are all the machines using?

tell me that please :P

darknessfairy
24-02-05, 22:44
ok so there are two computers that need to be on the network :p

one needs to be the "router", the other one connects to the computer for the internet

connection to the internet is through AOL, as i have specified before.

both computers are using xp pro...

there is no switch, there are only two computers, one modem, and network cards/onboard lan and network cable

-df-

john irons
24-02-05, 22:53
you probably know this but meh.

are you using a crossover cable?

winxp on both systems?

can you get a network working between them?
if you have a network up then you should be able to just enable internets conection sharing and file and print sharing.

enigma_b17
24-02-05, 22:54
theres a wireless network between the 2 pcs yea? and the wired one is for what?

Lothar IB
24-02-05, 22:57
Seriously get a router, they are not to pricey now days and takes about 5 mins to set up...and thats including opening the box :)

Can find some as cheap as 20 bucjs now days but i would get a linksys or dlink brand.

good luck!

john irons
24-02-05, 23:00
5 mins eh?

heheh youd be suprised.

[TgR]KILLER
24-02-05, 23:12
pc1 = internet con pc 2 is connected to pc1.. fill in gateway on pc2 = ip pc1 ?

dno i'v had my internet shared like that for ages.. comp downstairs was the "router" for my own comp.. but nowadays we got a normal router cause 3 pc's are on it.. ( my bro's to ) and my laptop soon gonna join that :p

darknessfairy
24-02-05, 23:17
there is no wireless router.

there is simply 1 network card, 1 onboard lan port, and network cable

this is the chain...
adsl modem ---> computer/ networkcard ---->network cable ----->computer/onboard lan port.

i need to know how to get the internet working. So AOL gets logged on from the adsl modem, internet travels through to the 1st computer with the network card, then i need to have internet being transfered to the 2nd computer, through the network cable to the onboard lan port.

i have nothing other than what i have stated.
and my friends would like to get a router as a last resort. if i can get it sorted without a router i will

my friends phoned AOL today and was told that AOL *CAN* be networked with out a router, and that AOL tells people you can only network it through a router because they want more money!!! From the horses mouth. :P

Ghanima
24-02-05, 23:46
I did a quicky search and found a somthing that may work well for you...

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/hmnetwk1.html

They show the exact type of connection you're describing. I hope this helps.

Ghanima :angel:

enigma_b17
24-02-05, 23:46
u dont need a router no, but u will have to setup one of the pcs as a gateway. Give pc1 an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and pc an ipaddress of 192.168.0.2

PC 1:

IP: 192.168.0.1
SUBNETMASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: None

PRIMARY & SECONDAY DNS: put in ur isp's dns servers here

PC2:

IP: 192.168.0.2
SUBNETMASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1

PRIMARY & SECONDARY DNS: same as for PC1

Enable internet connection sharing on the Local Area Connection and any internet that is on the pc should be available

[TgR]KILLER
25-02-05, 00:04
kinda what i said in very very short words enigma :p well partly.. din't want to type it out yet haha and you saved me the trouble..

darknessfairy
25-02-05, 00:05
edit:// ignore that

now i have all that,i STILL cant get internet!

i have opened AOL on this computer(obv) and have it connected,i open AOL on the other computer and try to sign in on a different name, but i can't,it won't!

tried just to open an internete explorer window aswell, but that doesnt work

enigma_b17
25-02-05, 00:14
er, actually u mightnt need them lol

darknessfairy
25-02-05, 00:20
see abovepost ^^

Revslad
25-02-05, 02:20
if your on aol broadband u dont have to connect to the aol service through the shitty aol program, you simply uninstall aol, go to network places .. create a new network to conect to the internet. depending on what modem u have u either choose a dial up or a ppoe connection and then click next and so forth.. then doube click the new network and it will want a password.

use your username and add @aol.com to it I.E username@aol.com

and type ur useual aol password and select connect..

tada no shiity aol program no lag no bullshit

(if u have the older bt voyager 100 odem u will have to chose dial up, and just leave the telephonenumber blank )

then on the other computer just open the create home/buisness network wizzard and choose that the clien computer to connect through a residential gateway :)

dark_reaper
25-02-05, 02:42
Note: if you plan to add another computer to the network. Check your modem for a router. Some modems come with a built in router. If so look for an N-Way Switch. Just another helpful tip.

Lexxuk
25-02-05, 03:29
turn off firewalls?

on computer 2, type ping 192.168.0.1 or tracert forum.neocron.com in the dos box see if it goes through or not

dns could be an issue i guess

or it could be your LAN card isnt turned on in the computer 2's bios, a faulty wire, or a LAN card that dont work

Jesterthegreat
25-02-05, 03:39
if your on aol broadband u dont have to connect to the aol service through the shitty aol program, you simply uninstall aol, go to network places .. create a new network to conect to the internet. depending on what modem u have u either choose a dial up or a ppoe connection and then click next and so forth.. then doube click the new network and it will want a password.

use your username and add @aol.com to it I.E username@aol.com

and type ur useual aol password and select connect..

tada no shiity aol program no lag no bullshit

(if u have the older bt voyager 100 odem u will have to chose dial up, and just leave the telephonenumber blank )

then on the other computer just open the create home/buisness network wizzard and choose that the clien computer to connect through a residential gateway :)

with a bit of luck this will solve it...

using AOL is like licking a big lump of ice... you know its a stupid thing to do, and once youve done it your stuck with it :p

Revslad
25-02-05, 04:17
oh yeh also dont forget to enable internet connection sharing on the connections properties:)