PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA.. ( wireless network )

[TgR]KILLER
23-02-05, 21:20
now looking on a list of wireless cards and AP's

i found 1 card saying PCMCIA type2.. all others are just listed as PCMCIA. but is there really a big difference ? by looks there aint. the laptop i wanted to buy has a type 2 card slot tho..

atm looking to buy or a 3com or a asus wireless network.. ( well 1 ap + 1 card for meh laptop just gonna add it to the current network of 3 comps + router )

enigma_b17
23-02-05, 21:23
dont think theres much difference no. Dont need to bother with an access point though, just buy another nic and throw it into one of ur machines and bridge the connections (assuming where u r ap's are more expensive then nics)

[TgR]KILLER
23-02-05, 21:27
yea i could buy another nic put it in my comp and just link the 2 together.. but i don't think i ever gonna get the range that i will have with a AP.. the ap is supposed to stay downstairs. so i got coverage all around.. and the AP can stand behind the router.

enigma_b17
23-02-05, 21:31
well at the moment i have an ad-hoc wireless network in my house, and i can get coverage up to 3 houses down lol. Only problem with setting up an ad-hoc wireless network is that they dont really like encryption so ur better off controlling access to ur network with a firewall, ie allowing/blocking ips. How much range u lookin for, most nics have a range of about 100m i think