PDA

View Full Version : Been playing...

imper1um
17-02-05, 18:10
okies, I'm bored...servers are down for a patch. Figures I join a day before the patch goes out, so now I gota wait to play again, and I just got ammo for my new Grenade Launcher! (I fuggin rock with explosives) Anyway, there's a few things that I think this game needs.

Interface Redesigns - The biggest thing in this game is the interface...sucks. Whoever drew it wanted to be flashy, but didn't realize flashy is bad on the eyes and bad for people who don't like wading through the cr_p. First, the interfaces don't need to be complex. They just need three things: a border, a title, and scroll bars. They don't need all this stuff in between with all this wierd mix in bad photoshop draw cr*p. Simple = Better. Also, the color is way...too brite. Not bright, it's brite, as in glow brite like the stuff I used to play with. Darken it, send it more to the #0000CC side instead of the #9999FF side. (people who know HTML will know exactly what I mean)

Tutorial Redesign - The tutorial is very much...not straightforward. The #1 key behind a tutorial is to MAKE SURE that a player hits all of the stations required in the game. Although it might be a little limiting, it means a single-cooridor area. Yeah, it's kinda ******** and it's not really the theme of a MMO, but if you're going to make a tutorial, a tutorial is a straightforward thing. When I ran through the tutorial the first time I missed about four stations that I never even noticed.

Starter Redesign - It's really not very nice to provide a newbie with a weapon they cannot use. I started with a grenade launcher and 12 ammo that I couldn't use for 2 more STR levels. Using only a knife is discouraging.

Simple Weapons - 100% of the non-melee weapons are unusuable by new players. People came to this game to use non-melee weapons, not sit down at the sewers and take a stab at a roach 800 times, then realize they cannot move because their legs are damaged.

The learning curve for this game is tremendous. Yeah, I got it, in 4.8 minutes (I had to run through the tutorial twice), but to people that have not played over 350 games ranging from FPS to Top-down Stratagy and beta tested somewhere around 100 games, it's extremely difficult for a new player to just start out on their own.

Just my $.02

MkVenner
17-02-05, 18:16
okies, I'm bored...servers are down for a patch. Figures I join a day before the patch goes out, so now I gota wait to play again, and I just got ammo for my new Grenade Launcher! (I fuggin rock with explosives) Anyway, there's a few things that I think this game needs.

Interface Redesigns - The biggest thing in this game is the interface...sucks. Whoever drew it wanted to be flashy, but didn't realize flashy is bad on the eyes and bad for people who don't like wading through the cr_p. First, the interfaces don't need to be complex. They just need three things: a border, a title, and scroll bars. They don't need all this stuff in between with all this wierd mix in bad photoshop draw cr*p. Simple = Better. Also, the color is way...too brite. Not bright, it's brite, as in glow brite like the stuff I used to play with. Darken it, send it more to the #0000CC side instead of the #9999FF side. (people who know HTML will know exactly what I mean)
pretty much 100% agreed
Tutorial Redesign - The tutorial is very much...not straightforward. The #1 key behind a tutorial is to MAKE SURE that a player hits all of the stations required in the game. Although it might be a little limiting, it means a single-cooridor area. Yeah, it's kinda ******** and it's not really the theme of a MMO, but if you're going to make a tutorial, a tutorial is a straightforward thing. When I ran through the tutorial the first time I missed about four stations that I never even noticed.
yeah, but its better than it was, its more of an intro to MC5 now tho...the voice overs are nice tho :p

Simple Weapons - 100% of the non-melee weapons are unusuable by new players. People came to this game to use non-melee weapons, not sit down at the sewers and take a stab at a roach 800 times, then realize they cannot move because their legs are damaged.
there are plenty of non-melee noob weapons, 9 and 8 mm pistols, 7.62mm rifles, 5.56mm rifles, APU/PPU spells, drones, all usable from start

Capt. Rik
17-02-05, 18:16

Colours are totally customisable... just edit the rpos.ini file in your neocron2\ini directory

I'm personally not bothered by the overall style of the new interface, for me it's simply different to NC1's

Rumoured to be changed with the International Release

Starter Redesign - It's really not very nice to provide a newbie with a weapon they cannot use. I started with a grenade launcher and 12 ammo that I couldn't use for 2 more STR levels. Using only a knife is discouraging.

New patch has allowed grenades to be bought inside MC5, kinda agree with you about the knife bit but it's always good to have something to aim for

No idea what you mean, APUs are probably the easiest characters to start with followed by rifles

The learning curve for this game is tremendous. Yeah, I got it, in 4.8 minutes (I had to run through the tutorial twice), but to people that have not played over 350 games ranging from FPS to Top-down Stratagy and beta tested somewhere around 100 games, it's extremely difficult for a new player to just start out on their own.

Just my $.02

True but there's a very helpful community and seaqrching around this forum can answer a lot of questions

Fafhrd
17-02-05, 18:22
Redesigns - The biggest thing in this game is the interface...sucks. Whoever drew it wanted to be flashy, but didn't realize flashy is bad on the eyes

try
/set gfx_hudcolor 8 or 9
should be a bit more eye-friendly. that aside, I agree with your points.

Tostino
17-02-05, 21:37
it's extremely difficult for a new player to just start out on their own.
Yeah it is very hard for new people to start on your own. If I were you I would just get out of MC5 (the noob starter area) and go to your apartment, if you are pro city I would go kill some rats and other noob stuff in the sewers untill you get to lvl to 10 in your base skill (dex/str/psi). Then you can go to the beggers in YO's in plaza 2 untill you get to about 15/20 in your base skill and then you can go to the aggys!!. The aggys are the best exp that you can get solo at that lvl. You can find them in plaza 1/2 (just ask anyone to show you) when you kill them you want to take the bone enforcements (sp?) and sell them to Crytons. You can make 200k in 3 hrs of killing them at low lvl.

EDIT: And I can also send you a program to change your HUD coulor to make it eayser.

Jesterthegreat
18-02-05, 00:55
True but there's a very helpful community and seaqrching around this forum can answer a lot of questions

just stay out of threads with multiple pages on the forums... they are the "heated discussion" threads, and niether factual nor helpful :p

eprodigy
18-02-05, 01:57
mabye you got this already but i just gathered one thing from your post perhaps (specifcally the last comment) to just wonder make sure you understand. neocron is heavy specilization - meaning for the most part you can only be good with one type of weapon. IE: tanks take heavy or melee, spies pistols or rifles, PE's pistols or rifles(melee and heavy can be possible for them), monks apu(agressive) or ppu (passive).

so if your seeing a lot of non melee weapons you cant use, chances are you arent looking at a store selling heavy combat weapons.