PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

Tostino
12-02-05, 05:45
Well I started up my comp today and as soon as I try and load anything it gives me a difrent DLL is missing and then wont do shit. So I back up all my files I can and then format my HD. When I was re installing 2k I get to a point just after i put in the CD key and it is saveing shit and then it fucks up and gives me a error saying Dumping ram please restart. Please help :(

Edit: I just tryed reinstalling for the 3rd time now and just after I formated and was copying files it gave me the same error O_o. God I fucking hate computers.

-Demon-
12-02-05, 05:56
Ok...first run a chkdskor scandisk on the hdd make sure there is no bad sectors. If that checks out ok you need to check your ram it may have gone pop or sumthing.

Google up memtest86 I think it is, probably best to test your ram a stick at a time too, so remove all but one check it and then power down and move onto the next.

memtest86 runs off a boot disk if i remember correct so shouldn't give you too much Hassle.

Anyway I'm off to bed...damn WoW has already taken over my life...its 4am nearly lol

Edit:: Opps got the proggie name wrong...now fixed.

Tostino
12-02-05, 05:59
Well it would help if I had a flopy drive :lol:

-Demon-
12-02-05, 06:00
Well it would help if I had a flopy drive :lol:

Roffle...yeah you probably need one of those muhaha...i laugh but I dont currently have one in this machine either...

Hope it works out for ya.

Xeno LARD
12-02-05, 11:20
Make it into a bootable CD then..

Ascension
12-02-05, 11:54
If the worst comes to worst, you coukd always backup & format!! :wtf:

athon
12-02-05, 12:00
If installation is continually failing, that points to a hardware problem to me. The prime candidates IMO are the hard disk and the memory (when you've got bad memory, it can often create a problem that reccurs at the same point every time, and looks like a hard disk problem - I've had that and it cost me £20 sending a brand new HDD back to have it tested)

I believe you can get memtest86 iso's off their site, and I think knoppix or one of the other live cd distro's has memtest86 on.

If you've got one spare, I'd swap the HDD for another one and try again.

If you've got multiple memory sticks or got one spare, I'd try removing a memory stick and trying them alternately.

Drill down to basics - change one thing at a time, then test to see if it works. If it appears to be working, run it in that configuration for a while just to be sure.

Athon Solo

mishkin
12-02-05, 17:13
Many bios:es also have an option to enable extensive memory-test at bootup... It's not a thorough test, but still, more than the usual one fast scan. (It's usually the same fast scan but 3 or 4 times in a row, a wee bit better, but not as good as a real memory-test proggie) :rolleyes:

Xian
12-02-05, 17:29
Alternate your RAM sticks first. Take 'em all out (if you have more than one, I'm hoping you do :p) and put them back in one by one, boot - try the installation again and if it fails, repeat with the other sticks.

Tostino
12-02-05, 17:50
Hey I just tryed reinstalling again a few min ago and I got a new error lol.
I will try and type it without all the long lines of numbers.

*** STOP : (numbers) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** Address (a few numbers) base at (a few more numbers), DateStamp 3ad77869 - ntoskrnl.exe

Then it tells me to reboot and try again :confused:

Lexxuk
12-02-05, 18:01
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL&catalog=LCID%3D2057&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=3&y=6

Tostino
12-02-05, 18:13
If the worst comes to worst, you coukd always backup & format!! :wtf:
Dont you think I tryed that? Or that is what I am trying to do now but geting stuck on.

Lexxuk
12-02-05, 19:53
Dont you think I tryed that? Or that is what I am trying to do now but geting stuck on.

your not likely to find an answer *here* because there are so many things that it could be that is causing the problem, anything from a bad driver, faulty hardware, CPU/Motherboard overheating (likely if your friend has same problem) to a whole plethora of possible causes. Without actually sitting at your computer, taking note of all the stuff the dump gives, then debugging it to find out why, its pretty much impossible to give generic advice, your best bet is as always, google, and spending several hours working out from the BSOD what it causing the problem and how to fix it.

Tostino
12-02-05, 21:32
Well I started to get a new error and I looked it up and it said that one of my sticks of ram was faulty (just like you said) so I took out all but one and I finished installing. Now to find which one is bad, oh joy.
I just hope its only one of my 512 sticks because if its 2 out of 4 im gona be flat broke :lol:.

Tostino
12-02-05, 22:13
Well this blows... now when I try and boot up I get to where it has the wondows 2000 is loading and the little blue bar, as soon as it is done loading my comp restarts :confused:

mishkin
12-02-05, 22:33
Well this blows... now when I try and boot up I get to where it has the wondows 2000 is loading and the little blue bar, as soon as it is done loading my comp restarts

Does this happen with one specific ram-stick only, or with all of them?

Tostino
12-02-05, 22:39
I tryed each one and it happens with all of em.

mishkin
12-02-05, 22:55
I'd try (if possible) to move the ram to a different socket... there have been motherboards with faulty memory-sockets before...

Thing about that IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL message, is that it can be caused by so many things... faulty memory, software error, overheating... anything, and that makes it kind of hard to troubleshoot an unknown system... :rolleyes:

Edit - If switching the memory doesn't work, pull out all the unnecessary cards, pci and agp (if you have a spare gfx-card that you KNOW works) and boot it up. Pretty much strip the mobo of everything that you don't need to get it to boot, and then add one part at a time...

Tostino
12-02-05, 23:07
I will try puting in my old gforce4mx :lol:. I already striped my mobo of everything elce.
Edit: Ok that didnt work :(.
Any thing elce that you can think of?

mishkin
12-02-05, 23:44
I'm thinking a badly installed windows here, but... I dunno. Something could've gone wrong when you installed if you unknowingly did it with faulty hardware installed. Try running the system like it is now, with nothing in, and do a new install... nothing else I can think of atm really... o_O

/edit - If you don't get anywhere doing that, run chkdsk, it should be on the win2k-cd somewhere, maybe in install-tools or something, dunno where but it should be there... run a full scan with that and see what pops up... I gotta go to sleep now, got work in the morning :(

Tostino
13-02-05, 02:24
Well now when I am trying to install it will get to some files and say "Setup cannot copy the file: (File name)
To retry press enter.
If you are installing from a CD make sure its in the CDROM drive"
I hate this POS.

Ascension
13-02-05, 03:07
Well now when I am trying to install it will get to some files and say "Setup cannot copy the file: (File name)
To retry press enter.
If you are installing from a CD make sure its in the CDROM drive"
I hate this POS.
I had that problem.. I re-formated the drive and then tried again, also cleaned the CD.. Sorry Tost If my replys are un-helpful, this is just my personal view and thats how I fixed it :D

Tostino
13-02-05, 03:11
Yeah I had many back up CD's so if i lost one I could just use them but they dont work ether :confused:. And I have reformated 3 times now so I dont think that is the prob :lol:.

Lexxuk
13-02-05, 22:16
Your board by any chance an ASrock? I had an ASrock that was totally pants would BSOD, reboot everything, chucked it away and solved the problem.

Tostino
13-02-05, 22:24
I will just post my specs.
CPU: p4 3.0
Mother board: Asus P4C800-e Deluxe
Grafx card: Asus 9800xt
Ram 4x 512 Kingston value pc3200
HD: 2x 160 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ
400 watt power supply.

Tostino
14-02-05, 04:27
YAY!! I got it working! (dont ask me how because I don't even know :p). Will be back in game in a few hrs.

Tostino
14-02-05, 05:00
Never mind... Now when I restarted after I got windows installed it gets to where you log in and then pops up some errors and then just stays there...

WHY ME!!

Edit: Ok that was just me being a dumb ass and puting the wrong stick of ram in :lol:.

But I am now haveing the DLL prob as before I formated and went through all this shit o_O

jernau
14-02-05, 10:59
As Lexx says it sounds like one that would need hands-on testing to be sure. Generally where symptoms vary this wildly I would start by looking at heat/power but that's just a starting point.

You could try reseating your CPU and make sure that the heatsink is making a good contact with it. If you can I would downclock the CPU in the BIOS just to test it for heat/stability.

If it's not a heat problem my next guess would be that your motherboard is broken in some way. You could try using alternate IDE and USB controllers, if you have them, as they are often the problem but even if that solves it you still have a dead mobo.

/edit - Just rereading the last post - do you mean it's all working OK but you get Windows errors about DLLs? If so run a chkdsk with surface scan to find and fix bad sectors. Windows tends to put files in the same places when you reinstall to a clean partition so you may need to mark them bad or remake the partition with a slight offset to avoid a duff part of the HDD. (Ignore this if I'm misunderstanding what you posted above)

Tostino
14-02-05, 21:28
Vent was looking for DLLs that I didnt have so I just googled them and found a link. So it's working fine now.