PDA

View Full Version : quick computer question

Mechanicus
09-02-05, 19:43
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_939_cpus.html
i have the second one down on that list

it didnt come with any thermo adhesive gel or whatever its called but there is a square patch of some kind of adhesive on the heatsink, it looks like it COULD be some kind of ready applied thing

do i need to buy a tube of the stuff or can i just whack em together (looking for somebody whos installed one of these)

ty

Redburn
09-02-05, 19:49
"but there is a square patch of some kind of adhesive on the heatsink"

That's it but you would be better off getting some thermo paste and remove that patch "better thermo properties with the paste". And if you want the good stuff buy some arctic silver from arctic cooling.

LOST
09-02-05, 19:52
the pre-prepared square patch is adequate for absorbing heat from the cpu.

the point in the silver-copperbromide combound (or whatever it is) is to provide a larger contact patch with specific grease designed to carry heat.

if adequate is good enough for you then just apply heatsink. not being too into AMD's i dont know how good their heatsink/fan is, alot of people by seperate ones because they're better.

Mechanicus
09-02-05, 19:57
i'll buy better stuff when i can afford it :p

extract
09-02-05, 20:04
what happens if u dont put paste or there isnt a patch on your processor?

I just built my first ever computer, and I didnt put either of those things on it

I have the athlon 64 3000 as well, but there was no patch on mine

@(0'_'0)@
09-02-05, 20:07

I just built my first ever computer, and I didnt put either of those things on it

.....*tick* *tick* *tick* *BOOOOM*

Terayon
09-02-05, 21:09
Just turn it off... now... :D
N get some gell on it. Read the temp in the bios if you want. Anything above 45C for a 3000+ is bad.

darkservent
09-02-05, 21:43

HOLY CRAP NUCLEAR EXPLOSION, It shoulda burned out within the minute of turnin it on.

Terayon
09-02-05, 22:10
MMM well ive never ran a pc with no gell on the hs.
I do know the heatsinks that come with the 3000+ (well my bros anyway) are realy good, and the proccesors can run fairly hot without auto shutting down. Not to mention the massive contact area on a 754....

Meh.

msdong
09-02-05, 23:29
...I have the athlon 64 3000 as well, but there was no patch on mine

nothin' if its get to hot it shuts down. i "tested" that when my fan brake 3 times in a row.
plus the AMD64 have a metalcap that spreads heat so there is little risk.

BUT you better put some paste on.

dint u lose all warranty using arctic silver on AMD ? i think i read about that

@(0'_'0)@
10-02-05, 01:11
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/nuclear-bomb-ch.jpg

extract
11-02-05, 21:18
went into bios after running for a good hour playing nc

was sittin at 36 c

so even tho i will get paste, it seems that its not being taxed very hard anyways =D

Xeno LARD
11-02-05, 22:14
Make sure you take the protective layer of plastic/paper off first, they don't like hainv that on. So I'm told >_>.

StrongSad
12-02-05, 21:22
Get some artic silver 5. The stock thermal patch is total crap. There have been many comparison tests of different thermal compounds and AS is always the best.

@ extract, you need to look at the cpu's temp while running the program. The cpu can cool down from 50c+ to 36c VERY quickly.

The reason silver and copper compounds are used is because they offer the best thermal transfer known to man short of pure diamond.

LOST
12-02-05, 21:29
just remember to keep tabs on the paste if you use it. like anything liquid - it will evapourate over time.

i thought all heatsink/fans had the sticky square underneath 8| .
probably best to apply the paste around the sticky bad...that way you have the most surface area with the reliable ol' square of semi-adhesive thermal transition gue.

mishkin
12-02-05, 21:30
Thing is, athlon 64s don't have the same problem with heat as the predecessors, the xp-family... my brother bought one, and he rendered big shit in 3d studio max with the computer lying on it's side on the floor with the heatsink just held down by gravity... it ran at about 50 degrees celsius... computer crashed if he moved the heatsink while rendering, but no noticable damage to the cpu :p

Anyway, they have heatspreaders nowadays, none of that "Oooh, I can see the core, it's 1337!" crap... + the fact that they're new technology, which produces less heat. No more nuclear explosions :D

msdong
12-02-05, 22:35
... they have heatspreaders nowadays, ....

i remember my AMD K5/200 - 500 have one too. i think its back to the roots

mishkin
12-02-05, 22:39
remember my AMD K5/200 - 500 have one too. i think its back to the roots

Yar, they look... almost identical :)

extract
13-02-05, 06:46
@ extract, you need to look at the cpu's temp while running the program. The cpu can cool down from 50c+ to 36c VERY quickly.

and just how do I check computer temp in bios whilst running a program?

mishkin
13-02-05, 08:09
and just how do I check computer temp in bios whilst running a program?

Use Motherboard Monitor or something, there are loads of programs out there made exactly for this :)

dem0n
13-02-05, 12:40
For ASUS MB's you can check the hardware control monitor in BIOS, OR you may buy a case which has a temp display infront, OR you can find a program from your CPU manufacturer, they can display your CPU temperature in win32.

Seven
14-02-05, 01:10
Just turn it off... now... :D
N get some gell on it. Read the temp in the bios if you want. Anything above 45C for a 3000+ is bad.

I'm running a Barton 2500+ at 3200 and while playing Neocron it runs at a steady 50C 120º

Here's a nice AMD temp chart.

http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html

If you have an Asus MB try using Asus Probe.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ASUS_PC_Probe/1053033598/1

StrongSad
16-02-05, 22:54
Yea as stated before. All motherboards come a with a program in one form or another that will show the bios read-outs while in windows.

Artic Silver does not deteriorate much over time. it definately does not "evaporate". Maybe cheaper brands have this problem, but to my knowledge AS does not (and I have been using AS3/5 for a long time).

Another note:
Should you use AS, dont under any circumstances put TOO MUCH paste between the CPU/heatsink. It can have adverse effects on temps. Paper thin is all you need. The holes you are trying to fill with the paste are microscopic(sp?).

jernau
17-02-05, 10:39

Contrary to some of the posts above the answer is - not much.

It's better to have some kind of thermal paste in there but on the current AMDs it won't matter if you don't unless you overclock it. For older Athlons and current Intels I would definitely want something on there.

Paying more for different types of paste is pretty much a waste of money (some will also invalidate your warranty). I thought all AMD retail heatsinks now came with paste on them though so I'd be a little concerned if yours didn't.

Mechanicus
18-02-05, 19:17
got my new comp running now, runs at around just under 30oC

Xeno LARD
18-02-05, 21:17
The XP had them taken off for overclockers/modders to aid cooling.

There you go, that's what I heard!

Seven
19-02-05, 07:22
got my new comp running now, runs at around just under 30oC

Err, alt tab while Neocron is runnimg, see what you get.

Mechanicus
19-02-05, 14:37
35 degrees max

Seven
23-02-05, 19:42
35 degrees max

:eek: 8| :eek:

Guess heat won't be an issue with the AMD 64's then...

Mechanicus
27-02-05, 14:33
yeah im really impressed, for cooling i have nothing fancy either, the case is quite nice as it has a gfront that air can flow freely through, makes for good air flow, i have the heatsink that came with the processor, it had a pre added patch of thermal paste so nothing special there, i have 2 akasa case fans, a 120x120x25 and a 80x80x25, also i managed to keep the case pretty empty in terms of cables and stuff, so pretty good airflow there too