PDA

View Full Version : So we need a /me in NC?

Momo Katzius
08-02-05, 12:44
Playing the last hours of EU-WoW-beta I tried: "/me laughs"

And the chatline shows me in red color: "Momo laughs"

Immediatley my brain thought: Shit, NC is missing that basic feature. What do you think about a "/me"?

Regards, Momo

PS: Esspecially for RP it would be a benefit to have such a "/me". I would finally get rid of my emote-stars. *I want to have such a "/me"*

Siygess
08-02-05, 12:52
I could be imagining things, but I think there *is* such a command now, but I don't think it's /me ... might be /e or something

mishkin
08-02-05, 12:55
If you type /e sex for example, you'll do the sex-emote, but without people seeing it being typed. /emote works for that too.
A /me isn't really necessary, but oh well...

/me goes and finishes his breakfast...

garyu69
08-02-05, 12:55
yup
/e
and any of the emotes here http://www.sheriff-hardy.de/Emotes.htm

I do them randomly while standing around

eLcHi
08-02-05, 12:56
I use it frequently on IRC ... and yes, Neocron needs it ;)

Momo Katzius
08-02-05, 13:09
Elchi understood me. The three guys above not.

If you look at my register date, you will see, that I'm very well used to NC. Of course I know the "/e". But I'm not talking about that "/e", I'm talking about "/me". There is a signifcant difference, which was at least understodd by Elchi. ;)

/e play an predefined emote
/me replaces "/me" with the name of your char and brings the text in other color to the surounding guys.

Two comtletly different things.

Siygess
08-02-05, 13:21
Dont make assumptions, Momo - I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm certain that this functionality was added shortly after the new emotes were added, so that you could type /whatever_the_command_is does a dance and it would say in local "Fred does a dance."

I simply can not find the thread that discussed this feature, nor can I find the actual command that does it - though at first I thought it was /e it would appear that it is not.

Momo Katzius
08-02-05, 13:24
Dont make assumptions, Momo - I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm certain that this functionality was added shortly after the new emotes were added, so that you could type /whatever_the_command_is does a dance and it would say in local "Fred does a dance."

I simply can not find the thread that discussed this feature, nor can I find the actual command that does it - though at first I thought it was /e it would appear that it is not.
Whoot? That command should be ingame? I never saw something like that. You really surprise me. 8|

Siygess
08-02-05, 13:27
Well since I can't find any evidence of it, there is the distinct possibility I imagined the whole thing ;)

..but I'm SURE it's there. Nid, care to find out for us?

Capt. Rik
08-02-05, 14:13
Well since I can't find any evidence of it, there is the distinct possibility I imagined the whole thing ;)

..but I'm SURE it's there. Nid, care to find out for us?

I think you're imagining it because I have never seen anything like this in-game.

There's always hope though... keep looking!!

Tidus_Origin
08-02-05, 15:33
Having a /me in NC would be cool. I can imagine people going '/me sexes <someone else>' or '/me pwned <someone else>'. :lol:

MkVenner
08-02-05, 19:02
even if what you are saying is in siygess (and i have no idea :p) i think he means something a little more freestyle...

like instead of having to stick to the emotes list you could say /me dances on a 2 pound coin while playing card and smoking a cigar

....yeah.... http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/redface.gif

eLcHi
08-02-05, 19:25
/me slaps Nidhogg around a bit with a medium sized Iceberg

sorry Nid ;)

john irons
08-02-05, 19:43
err why do we need this?

if it was implemented then id type

/me suckes his own cock

everyone else would see

johndoe: johndoe suckes his own cock

your name allready shows so whats the point?

just put stars around your text
eg,
*suckes his own cock*

everone sees
johndoe:*sucks his own cock*

*edit*

ignore me i just got what you wanted and yes we need it

Nidhogg
08-02-05, 22:47
err why do we need this?
What he said. :p

N

/edit - /me didn't have the same revelation as john irons.

Jesterthegreat
08-02-05, 22:49
What he said. :p

N

/edit - /me didn't have the same revelation as john irons.

cos it wouldnt have to say the name first (doesnt in any other MMO / chat program i have used) and it helps with RP... something there is next to none of in this RPG.

Nidhogg
08-02-05, 22:51
But that's all it does. It's just a shortcut for your name.

/me slams his hammer down

=

Nidhogg slams his hammer down

N

/edit - do you really think that adding "/me" is going to suddenly cause people to RP?

Jesterthegreat
08-02-05, 22:55
But that's all it does. It's just a shortcut for your name.

/me slams his hammer down

=

Nidhogg slams his hammer down

N

/edit - do you really think that adding "/me" is going to suddenly cause people to RP?

i think its worth mentioning to a coder... if your toild its not hard to do then is there a good reason not to add it? even if it barely adds to RP... it certainly wont take away RP...

basically if its likely to be quick and small (resource wise) then why the hell not? :D

Nidhogg
08-02-05, 22:58
I'll suggest it, no problems. I just want people to be clear as to the importance of what we're discussing here.

N

extract
09-02-05, 19:55
type gaah

i didnt ever see this in any of the emote lists....pretty cool

I personally call it "the hulk"

@(0'_'0)@
09-02-05, 20:00
Lazy gimps. it's not that hard to type in your name

naimex
09-02-05, 22:16

.... no... but it could / would most likely make people spam chat more...

its hardly possible.. but i have a feeling they will succeed..

/me is selling xxx, hugs and kisses, 5000, 50, 500 nc.
/me ********** drom.
/me uses needle with redflash.

actually.. bring back broken needles... make all drugs and pills and whatnot into needle thingies.. that need a vial or a needle to be created, so they had to have a container to hold the drug or stuff, and when you used, you got a used needle, and once in a while.. you would break the needle and take a hlt hit, and get a broken needle, and only get half the effect of whatever you used.

/me goes and makes a new thread.

msdong
09-02-05, 23:19
if you make sure it works on applift too it would be great

/me hates to to type his name into the applift.

its a nice feature but dont stop player shops for it.

Terayon
10-02-05, 00:07
Actualy in wow and ff11 i always used emotes like this. Dont know why i never did in nc.... but if a feature like this was in nc i would use it :) .

Jesterthegreat
10-02-05, 02:06
if you make sure it works on applift too it would be great

/me hates to to type his name into the applift.

its a nice feature but dont stop player shops for it.

exactly.

think like when a coder is so sick of player shops his head is melting, he can take 30 mins out to look at this and relax a bit more.

Momo Katzius
11-02-05, 20:43
the "/me" thingy would be a great "work-in" for the new coder. He will get to know the code by working at this topic. :D