PDA

View Full Version : Wtf My Computer Cant Play This Game Now I HAVE A COMPAQ !!!

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 07:53
Hello Neocron Forum. I'm not sure if i am in the right area but i need some computer wiz out their to help me!

I have right now a Compaq computer 2400+ 2.0mhz. I have windows XP home and 768 ram. I have bought a Radion 9800 PRO with 128mb on it. i run norton 2005, zone alarm, msn, ventrilo server and client. I need all these up and CANT close them due to my job.

Now that you know what i have and what i NEED up and running at all times with no problems, this is my problem.

My computer jams up every once in a while. When i play a game every once in a while my computer will restart on me. I have a dedicated power supply to my comp so i know it's not the problem. I also play PlanetSide and Half Life2 and my Frames Per Second hit 000 and my whole game freezes... I play world of warcraft and every time i go into the city i have MAJOR frames per second problem. My ping is in the green, but it's the damn frames per sec. Anyways i probably gave you lots of information. I'm thinking that my 4x agp slot on my comp is slow.. my 2.0 compaq mother board and cpu are crap.. power supply might be weak and cheap.. Maybe i should just get a new asus mother board and cpu 3 gig. I am on a tight budget so i cant blow a lot, so asus + motherboard and keep the ram i have?

Jesterthegreat
08-02-05, 08:19
omega gfx drivers?

if it resets in NC2 try DX7. fixed the problem for me (and left me with crappy lookin game since NC2)

Masentaja
08-02-05, 08:24
Could be wrong, but I know someone who had similiar problems, and the problem was his memory thing... he removed one 256ram block from motherboard, and it began to run smoothly.. no clue though if this helps ya

dem0n
08-02-05, 10:20
Could be wrong, but I know someone who had similiar problems, and the problem was his memory thing... he removed one 256ram block from motherboard, and it began to run smoothly.. no clue though if this helps ya
you know you might be right, toastie try to remove the memory from your last slot, maybe might be the cause.

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 10:24
Yeah. I just tried takout out the 256 like you said and my comp wont play Planet Side worth crap. Neocron is even worse now and I put on my world of warcraft and i cant to into a city. I put on my "onboard" video card thinking maybe it might help but that is just crazy bad ass graphics. I turned the graphics all the way down and that helped BUT the poor graphics is not worth it. i'm willing to get what i need to make the graphics better. i have a good video card "radion 9800 pro 128mb agp pro". it's 8x. i just made sure my windows was updated ALL the way. I just reinstalled my video drivers and all that was on the cd and now my comp is flooded with video software and my comp is even slower now. I restarted my comp and it's a lot slower. I have about 120 gigs left on my hard drive. While i did this i cleaned my computer and it was not over heating. All looks ok. If my computer was a truck my truck would feel like it's very very full going up a hill and it some times stalls and rolls back....

jernau
08-02-05, 10:24
If it only happens in certain areas it's more likely a software/config issue than hardware so I'd try forcing AA and AF off in the drivers and see if that helps. You could also drop texture details in-game as it's possible the GPU is running out of memory if detail is too high.

You should also try a few different driver versions. In particular I would try the last few WHQL certified builds.

If you still get the problem on much lower quality settings then hardware is more likely.

Memory is definitely possible. I would try upgrading the BIOS to the latest stable build first and if that doesn't work try swapping memory around. Check the manual first to see what configurations are possible as you may not be able to do much in the way of swapping without some spare DIMMs.

If the BIOS has a "stable settings" option (IIRC Compaqs usually do) then use that for a bit and see if it solves the lock-ups but be aware it will probably be slightly slower overall.

AGP4x definitely won't be the problem in terms of speed.

Did you add the graphics card yourself? If so it's possible the Compaq PSU can't cope with the extra power demand or the case can't get rid of the extra heat. You may be able to upgrade the PSU but you'd almost certainly have to talk to Compaq as it's unliely to be a standard part. Similarly if you've added more HDDs you may have power or heat problems.

I would also check out some Compaq forums for other people with that system (assuming you haven't added/changed too many parts) and see if others have the same issues.

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 10:26
i pulled out my 512 right after i pulled out my 256 and just left in my 256. Windows took about 5 minutes to load completely LOL. :)

I will check their forum. My friend has the same comp as me as we bought it together. He has the same problem. He has a different video card though and less ram. He is getting more problem than me. His comp restarts almost every hour and especially when in fight areas where lots of action is going on. His FPS goes to 0.00 and does not come up for a good 5 - 10 seconds.

You guys are great! thank you for all the tips. The ram did not work. I'll try to update the bios. I did it before and was simple. I have the side case off now to see if the heat is the problem, but it's not too hot. I can put my hand on the motherboard and it's all good. is the 2400+ Compaq Presario a strong board? I'm not sure if it's top of the line ASUS. It better not be a Celeron, but i'm sure its not hahaha :)

jernau
08-02-05, 10:32
Ok i pulled out my 512 and just left in my 256. Windows took about 5 minutes to load completely LOL. :)
I take it you have XP then. :p

If you've only been running the drivers that shipped with your card it's definitely worth trying a few other versions, especially if they are manufacturer builds.

If I were you I'd uninstall all the extra gubbins that got installed. It's almost certainly crap.

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 10:33
yes i put the vid card in and installed the drivers and updated them. I also installed their other junk on my comp thinking that would help. I find it is making my comp slower. I formated a few days ago and thinking it was just because of clutter.. i installed some online games and no difference in frames per second. hmmm..

jernau
08-02-05, 10:41
If it's a "2400+" it's an AMD CPU so it can't be a Celeron :).

Compaq make their own boards so it won't be an ASUS or in fact anything you'll see other than in a Compaq. They use standard chipsets though which is the important thing. Normally they undertune everything for increased stability so generally I'd say their mobos are good if not fast. My guess would be you have an NForce 3 board which is not bad though they were definitely the worst NForce chipset.

You mentioned it had onboard graphics. Have you manually disabled it in the BIOS? If not I would do so.

Do you use the onboard sound? If so do you have a spare soundcard you could try instead (even if just temporarily). Again, if you do, disable the onboard in the BIOS. (/edit : It may even be worth disabling sound even if you don't have a spare and playing silent just to test it).

Lastly, if you have anything drawing power that can be removed (for testing) then do so. Main targets would be extra drives and any USB/Firewire devices.

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 10:58
Ah excelent! i'll disable the graphics in the cmos/bios. I have not done this and yes it's enabled. I use the onboard sound card and like to play my music while playing in games. when i alt tab to change a song half the time my computer game crashed or the computer freezes or restarts. I'll also take a look in the back and see if anything is drawing power from it. I have a wireless mouse and a printer, head phones, modem, tv tuner in my pci card to watch tv on here and record shows and my speakers as well. :)

Tyr
08-02-05, 11:05
Thread moved.

cMz
08-02-05, 11:18
I can remember seeing something about closing the systemtray-program for controlling the Ati9800 gfxcard. Dont know if that will help.

You should check how many Watt your powersupply is. It should say so on the back of it. Maybe it can not give enough power to the system.
I had an old 300 Watt powersupply, and when I put in an NVidia GF5950, the computer would run for some minutes and the just reboot, without any warning.
Getting a 510 Watt true power something fixed the problem.

Yelly
08-02-05, 11:25
Wellyou said a few threads ago you killed us all....
Well you were beaten at last by compaq ;)

TOASTIE
08-02-05, 11:33
I killed you all.... now my sorry ass was killed.. damn compaq hahaha. I was told i should tweek the mother board, but read on the compaq forum that you can't.

Is pci Express a LOT better than AGP ?

jernau
08-02-05, 11:48
Is pci Express a LOT better than AGP ?
It's very different. If your current GPU is good enough then it's not going to make any difference. If you want to upgrade (and pay the price) then it's the only way to go IMO.

cMz
08-02-05, 11:57
I have seen tests that show that PCIe is not that much better than AGP8x right now.
There is not a lot of programs that can actually use the power of PCIe, but when I buy a new motherboard, it will have to have support for PCIe, as I think AGP will be going out of production some time.

The problem is that you have to buy a new GFX-card as well, when changing the motherboard, so ít will cost more than my normal upgrade :-(

jernau
08-02-05, 12:11
I have seen tests that show that PCIe is not that much better than AGP8x right now.
There is not a lot of programs that can actually use the power of PCIe, but when I buy a new motherboard, it will have to have support for PCIe, as I think AGP will be going out of production some time.

The problem is that you have to buy a new GFX-card as well, when changing the motherboard, so ít will cost more than my normal upgrade :-(
Indeed, atm there won't be any real performance increase as the current cards are designed for PCIe.

AGP4x has enough bandwidth for ANY video card out there, even now. The advantages of PCIe will come with the next generation of cards (not just video cards but all cards).

Spoon
08-02-05, 18:14
I'd say your just running low on system resources....

Try setting virtual memory, set the initial size to 2500mbs and the max size to 2500mb....

Run msconfig and disable; cli.exe, atiptaxx.exe and ATI Catalyst System tray(all ATI components, that don't need to be run at start up)....
And disable anything else you don't think is necessary at start up..

And in the video card settings set it more towards performance, than quality....

You could probably use another 256mbs of RAM too....