PDA

View Full Version : Driving (test) Practical

Ascension
07-02-05, 14:49
Okay, So i aced the Theory test, I got my practical test tommorrow @ 2:33! Im having a lesson before just to make sure im squeeky clean on the whole thing.

Thing is I dont feel nervous at all! Im pretty confident on the whole thing and think i'll do fine.. All my maneuvers seem great and my mirror-checks are 'okay'

can anyone give me any advice for tommorrow?

Tratos
07-02-05, 14:51
i cant give advice as its a few month till im unleashed on the roads but even though i said it on MSN eariler, good luck dude :) well heres some advice, lol dont get nervous.

Revslad
07-02-05, 14:55
what ever you do dont try and crack any jokes with the examiner, they are allways boring old farts with no sence of humor. and they will probably put it down to you not concentrating.

never portray yourself as being nervous, be confident and show it but dont be cocky.

allways remember when u pull off from the test center allways look over your right sholder... like not at the trafic lights. like when they ask u to pull over somewhere safe. make sure u do cause it counts as a serious.

apart from that, good luck man :)

Lexxuk
07-02-05, 14:55
wear comfortable shoes
dont crash
dont run people over on the zebra crossing
dont look at your testers boobs (if female)
dont cut up police cars
dont stick your fingers up at people that cut you up
dont have a few pints before hand for dutch courage
oh, and dont forget to turn up :p

Siygess
07-02-05, 14:59
Here's the deal - relax.

Unless you are very, very unlucky and get an a**hole to sit the test with you, the examiner is going to put you at your ease by making the kind of banter you'd usually get with your driving instructor. They do this so you drive just like you would normally, and that's really the best way to look at it.

You're going to get in a car, pootle around for 45 minutes and then get out again. Don't rush things, especially before pulling out / away, dont take any chances with amber lights at pedestrian crossings and if you happen to stall or some such, don't panic. They don't care if you stall, as long as you remain calm, restart and carry on.

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Capt. Rik
07-02-05, 15:01
They'll understand that you're nervous. They are assessing your overall driving ability so as long as you don't crash or do something illegal then you should have no problems.

I stalled on my test at the very first roundabout but because I made the car safe and pulled off correctly again the instructor only gave me a minor.

Luckily for me though he didn't make me reverse park. That would have been embarrassing.

Oh and it is true that once you pass your test you learn to drive properly. I'm getting some really bad habits now like driving with 1 hand on the wheel etc :eek:

Best of luck

Oath
07-02-05, 15:02
Wear clothes.
Don't call the instructor a fat balding wanker, at least not till you pass :p
Don't watch the french movie "taxi" beforehand.
Don't rob the nearest bank using the Testers car as the getaway.

Don't eat before it, or you'll feel sick depending how nervous a person you are.

Don't kill anyone.
DO check your mirrors often.
DO NOT ride the clutch or brake for that matter.
Double shifting is not good during your test.

Genty
07-02-05, 15:04
Make sure to expect the worst...because on driving test it generally happens.

Don't be over confident, if your too confident you fail, if you ain't confident enough you fail :D

Take your time when your doing things, there is no rush.

2:33 is not a very good time, moring just after rush hour is best :P

(3:33 being the worst time)

Siygess
07-02-05, 15:12
Good point Oath, thats something a lot of people do (according to my old instructor).. don't drive around with the clutch down when you don't need it - you'll coast, and that makes examiners mad! :)

Really, there are three ways people fail a test:

One: Sloppy technique - lots of minors. It sounds like you are okay here, and this is usually when people haven't accumulated enough driving hours before taking their test.

Two: Brainfart - Doing one dumb thing that writes off your test. Moving away without signalling and checking mirrors etc. Not likely to happen if you take things easy and stay calm.

Three: Odd situations - This is the reason most people fail, I think.. and this is just down to luck. Cars parked obscuring lights, morons forcing you into the wrong lane, overtaking stationary cars that are waiting for something you can't see.. To avoid screwing up in these weird situations, ask yourself (in the words of my instructor):

Is it safe?
Is it legal?
Is it necessary??

Bugs Gunny
07-02-05, 15:12
A good driving position is what makes you pass or fail:

For best results:

Enter the car, and push the saet back as far as you can.
Make sure your arm is all the way stretched as you put one hand on top of the steering wheel.
Then put your right arm behind the headrest of the passenger seat.
Hang your torso and head in the middle of the car, so it's easier for you to "feel" the distance of both sides of the car to objects.
Crank that music up so you get a good atmosphere going for your exam person.
Start the engine, and make sure you rev it high a couple of times, to prove you don't need to look at the instrument to hear the redline of the engine.

Smoothly use the parking brake to take your first corners and bruns some rubber so the tires get better grip on the road as you leave the parking area.

This will all show from the start that you are a confident experienced driver.

Good luck.

Dribble Joy
07-02-05, 15:17
Don't watch the french movie "taxi" beforehand.
That film is just daft.
The sequel is plain silly, his car has wings for gliding after going over a jump ffs.
And they throw it out the back of a plane.

Ascension
07-02-05, 15:18
Cheers guys, Thanx all for the tips and confidence boosts.. 2:33 isnt so bad, should be pretty quiet at that time! :)

Revslad
07-02-05, 15:20
yeah 2:33 isnt such a bad time, you will finish your test just before the kids get out of school hopefully

athon
07-02-05, 15:23
Don't worry about it. If you have a good driving instructor like mine he's probably convinced you that you're going to fail if you:
a) Stall
b) Wait a fraction of a second too long before proceeding at a junction or roundabout
c) breathe too lougly
etc.

And don't forget to look in the right palces at the right times on your maneuvers. I forgot where to look when while doing the bay park and messed it up. Thankfully it wasn't too bad (I still got the car inside the box), and it was the only mistake I made and I still passed =)

Athon Solo

jernau
07-02-05, 15:31
Make sure you know where your car is parked.

It's a definite fail if you can't find the car.

Oath
07-02-05, 15:53
That film is just daft.
The sequel is plain silly, his car has wings for gliding after going over a jump ffs.
And they throw it out the back of a plane.

I see you know the one i mean :D

Yes it is shite. But i mean the scene with the cop and the driving instructor.

Dribble Joy
07-02-05, 16:07
I have it on DvD :P.
Havn't watched it a while, and I prefer 'daft mindless romp' to 'shite' :D.

Oath
07-02-05, 16:10
I have it on DvD :P.
Havn't watched it a while, and I prefer 'daft mindless romp' to 'shite' :D.

:p

You're just as bad as me
:lol: :p

Lexxuk
07-02-05, 16:45
Dont talk on phone/eat apple whilst driving, important that one :lol:

Bugs Gunny
07-02-05, 16:50
I forgot an important feature.

To prevent the sun from blinding you, you should use a knife to cut the seatbelt and then use superglue to stick the band of black plastic against the top edge of the windshield. This will prevent sunglare and you will show total foresightednes against accidents.

MkVenner
07-02-05, 16:53
well it's pretty much all been covered, so good luck mate :p

Ascension
07-02-05, 16:58
I forgot an important feature.

To prevent the sun from blinding you, you should use a knife to cut the seatbelt and then use superglue to stick the band of black plastic against the top edge of the windshield. This will prevent sunglare and you will show total foresightednes against accidents.

*breaks & flies through windowscreen* :lol:

Doctor: "if only her had a seatbelt on"

[TgR]KILLER
07-02-05, 17:02
just drive.. and if you make a mistake try not to think about it :p when i had my practical i missed a bike comming from the right :p but it was a one way street he never should have been comming out of there anyway. i just din't think about it anymore.. and we drove a little later then normally tho but had some good things to.

and i had the practical just after a 3 week holiday so din't drive in 3.5 weeks. so that was a good excuse to ^^ got my licence in 1 time.. 1.5 years back now already :)

Capt. Rik
07-02-05, 17:21
watch out for speed limit signs especially if the instructor takes you to an area you are unfamiliar with. I almost failed to spot a 3 limit sign and had to break heavily down from 60. Got a minor for that

Ascension
07-02-05, 17:24
watch out for speed limit signs especially if the instructor takes you to an area you are unfamiliar with. I almost failed to spot a 3 limit sign and had to break heavily down from 60. Got a minor for that
We'll ive learned round the test routes so know all the tricky areas :)

Bugs Gunny
07-02-05, 17:39
Hey Ascention, once you've got your license you can actualy join 101st :-)

Ascension
07-02-05, 17:52
Hey Ascention, once you've got your license you can actualy join 101st :-)
lol, I dont wanna spec for vhc, i like my good health and athletics, driving makes you fat! :p

Bugs Gunny
07-02-05, 17:55
Yeah well....... true...
And all that eating at MCDescent's hasn't been doing us any good either :-)

darkservent
07-02-05, 20:25
Erm wot if your stuck in slow moving traffic for the whole of the test. Would it be far more easier to pass then. Oh and theres no way out of it.

MkVenner
07-02-05, 20:36
depends, if you was good on clutch control then that would be asier i guess...but i dunno...

Mr Kot
07-02-05, 21:07
I’m glad you’re confident about the whole thing. That’s half the battle. Hopefully you will drive naturally now and not completely go to jelly just because you don’t understand something.

There’s no advice I can give you over and above what your instructor has given you (assuming he’s good :p) If you are well prepared, you will pass.

A lot of people so far have given you useful and valid tips…..except Bugs Gunny who is now applying for his 62nd attempt as we speak… methinks his methods need a little tweaking :p

The biggest reason why people fail driving tests is taking it before they are ready. Those who “think” they’re good get a surprise when an expert sees them. Your instructor and your examiner are the only experts here. Forget what your parents / mates say.

Examiners aren’t stupid either. They know very well that most learners will tear up the rule book after passing and drive their own little way. During the 40 minutes that you’re out on the road with them, they need to see that you at least know the right way to drive and can demonstrate it. If you can’t handle any given situation, he’s not going to pass you. After all, if you can’t do everything right during the 40 minutes when you’re trying your hardest, what are you going to be like in the next 40 years when you’re not trying? The moral here is: Don’t settle for second best; the examiner certainly won’t.

As for the top “real” reason why people fail, according to all the statistics of all tests ever taken in the UK, it’s observation. Observation is more than just moving your head around a lot to impress the examiner. Observation is to see and to register in the conscious mind what is seen. At a road junction, you don’t just need to “see” the car coming, you need to register and calculate how far away it is, how quickly it’s approaching, what course it’s likely to take.. etc.

Anticipation helps too. Always consider the “what ifs” and the hypothetical situations. Nothing happens “suddenly” on the road. Clues are there, and your observation should help you deal with them well before you get there. All too often, people will have their crashes and write silly things on the insurance claim form, like “Suddenly, the old lady on the zimmer frame sprinted out in front of me.” “Suddenly, the tree moved out behind me as I reversed.” All because they either didn’t look, or they looked but didn’t see.

Just think what you would want to see if you were an examiner. You want your candidate to drive around a route encompassing all possible situations, while you just sit there enjoying the drive. Not once should you feel the need to reach over and use the car controls to avoid danger, or say to them, “Watch out for…”, not should you feel tense during the drive.

To be confident as a driver that you’re ready for the road, consider these questions: Can you operate all the ancillary controls without prompting? Can you cope with all the situations you meet? Can you carry out all the set exercises without any assistance? Do you always drive in the correct position on the road, at the correct speed, with the correct gear engaged? Are you confident that you could always stop the car in an emergency on your own side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear? With a good instructor and many hours of on-road experience under your belt, I’m sure you can.

We'll ive learned round the test routes so know all the tricky areas
There’s more to driving than learning the test routes. Besides, there are so many routes at any given centre. You may know a route like the back of your hand now, but what if roadworks spring up tomorrow morning with a temporary speed limit? Always look for signs, especially in areas you think you know well.

Finally, some pre test tips:
As Oath said, don’t eat too much beforehand, but you don’t want to be hungry either. Just have some toast or something.

Turn off your mobile phone. Can’t have that ringing / bleeping away in your pocket during the parallel park now, can we?

Have your driving documents ready well beforehand. (Your instructor will probably remind you about this when he picks you up). You must take BOTH parts of your licence.

If you need to wear glasses / contacts to drive, check you have them before u go. The first part of the test is the eyesight test. You must be able to read a number plate from 20.5 metres (20 metres from the new font plates). If you can’t, you will fail before even getting in the car.

The next part of the test is the “Show and Tell” test of basic maintenance knowledge. Familiarise yourself with the car you will be taking to test. Check that you know how to open the bonnet and find where all the fluids go..etc. You will be asked only two questions on this and it’s all very quick. In fact, everyone I have spoken to who has sat a driving test tells me that the whole thing seemed to pass really quickly.

Any instructor worth his salt won’t have put you in for test if he didn’t feel you were ready, so I’m sure you will cope well. All the best.

P.S. don’t forget to show us yer DL25 after the test so we can all laugh.. I mean… give useful feedback :p

D1S
07-02-05, 21:13
Here here to that Mr kot :)
If you wanna pass your test listen to Mr Kot, trust me on that one ;)

jernau
07-02-05, 21:16
Erm wot if your stuck in slow moving traffic for the whole of the test. Would it be far more easier to pass then. Oh and theres no way out of it.
You have to play I-Spy.

Ascension
08-02-05, 01:11
I’m glad you’re confident about the whole thing. That’s half the battle. Hopefully you will drive naturally now and not completely go to jelly just because you don’t understand something.

There’s no advice I can give you over and above what your instructor has given you (assuming he’s good :p) If you are well prepared, you will pass.

A lot of people so far have given you useful and valid tips…..except Bugs Gunny who is now applying for his 62nd attempt as we speak… methinks his methods need a little tweaking :p

The biggest reason why people fail driving tests is taking it before they are ready. Those who “think” they’re good get a surprise when an expert sees them. Your instructor and your examiner are the only experts here. Forget what your parents / mates say.

Examiners aren’t stupid either. They know very well that most learners will tear up the rule book after passing and drive their own little way. During the 40 minutes that you’re out on the road with them, they need to see that you at least know the right way to drive and can demonstrate it. If you can’t handle any given situation, he’s not going to pass you. After all, if you can’t do everything right during the 40 minutes when you’re trying your hardest, what are you going to be like in the next 40 years when you’re not trying? The moral here is: Don’t settle for second best; the examiner certainly won’t.

As for the top “real” reason why people fail, according to all the statistics of all tests ever taken in the UK, it’s observation. Observation is more than just moving your head around a lot to impress the examiner. Observation is to see and to register in the conscious mind what is seen. At a road junction, you don’t just need to “see” the car coming, you need to register and calculate how far away it is, how quickly it’s approaching, what course it’s likely to take.. etc.

Anticipation helps too. Always consider the “what ifs” and the hypothetical situations. Nothing happens “suddenly” on the road. Clues are there, and your observation should help you deal with them well before you get there. All too often, people will have their crashes and write silly things on the insurance claim form, like “Suddenly, the old lady on the zimmer frame sprinted out in front of me.” “Suddenly, the tree moved out behind me as I reversed.” All because they either didn’t look, or they looked but didn’t see.

Just think what you would want to see if you were an examiner. You want your candidate to drive around a route encompassing all possible situations, while you just sit there enjoying the drive. Not once should you feel the need to reach over and use the car controls to avoid danger, or say to them, “Watch out for…”, not should you feel tense during the drive.

To be confident as a driver that you’re ready for the road, consider these questions: Can you operate all the ancillary controls without prompting? Can you cope with all the situations you meet? Can you carry out all the set exercises without any assistance? Do you always drive in the correct position on the road, at the correct speed, with the correct gear engaged? Are you confident that you could always stop the car in an emergency on your own side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear? With a good instructor and many hours of on-road experience under your belt, I’m sure you can.

There’s more to driving than learning the test routes. Besides, there are so many routes at any given centre. You may know a route like the back of your hand now, but what if roadworks spring up tomorrow morning with a temporary speed limit? Always look for signs, especially in areas you think you know well.

Finally, some pre test tips:
As Oath said, don’t eat too much beforehand, but you don’t want to be hungry either. Just have some toast or something.

Turn off your mobile phone. Can’t have that ringing / bleeping away in your pocket during the parallel park now, can we?

Have your driving documents ready well beforehand. (Your instructor will probably remind you about this when he picks you up). You must take BOTH parts of your licence.

If you need to wear glasses / contacts to drive, check you have them before u go. The first part of the test is the eyesight test. You must be able to read a number plate from 20.5 metres (20 metres from the new font plates). If you can’t, you will fail before even getting in the car.

The next part of the test is the “Show and Tell” test of basic maintenance knowledge. Familiarise yourself with the car you will be taking to test. Check that you know how to open the bonnet and find where all the fluids go..etc. You will be asked only two questions on this and it’s all very quick. In fact, everyone I have spoken to who has sat a driving test tells me that the whole thing seemed to pass really quickly.

Any instructor worth his salt won’t have put you in for test if he didn’t feel you were ready, so I’m sure you will cope well. All the best.

P.S. don’t forget to show us yer DL25 after the test so we can all laugh.. I mean… give useful feedback :p
sound advice m8, you sure you aint an examiner by profession? Thanx for typing all that out! really appreciate it :)

Ascension
08-02-05, 14:28
right im off 4 my last lesson, wish me luck.. and ill see ya when ive got this over with!

//edit: not for another hour :@

Siygess
08-02-05, 14:44
Good luck, and remember: If there's so much blood on the windscreen that you need to put the wipers on, you've probably failed!

Capt. Rik
08-02-05, 14:52
Good Luck!!

Ascension
08-02-05, 14:53
Good luck, and remember: If there's so much blood on the windscreen that you need to put the wipers on, you've probably failed!
rofl.. well what about no windowscreen and bits of chicken and stuff in my hair? :lol:

Siygess
08-02-05, 14:56
You still fail, but can then get a job as a Hollywood stunt driver. The same goes for carts of melons and workmen carrying plate glass.

Finding any of the above (in whole or in part) in your hair qualifies you as a stunt driver :)

Ascension
08-02-05, 14:58
You still fail, but can then get a job as a Hollywood stunt driver. The same goes for carts of melons and workmen carrying plate glass.

Finding any of the above (in whole or in part) qualifies you as a stunt driver :)
Maybe its my nerves or some shit but thats had me laughing! :lol: cos I can imagine me driving thru a plate of glass :lol:

Mr Kot
08-02-05, 15:00
I can imagine me driving thru a plate of glass :lol:

Be sure it's not the test centre window :lol:

Bugs Gunny
08-02-05, 15:03
No need for nerves.
Just keep thinking that by next month you'll have it, even if you fail now.

It's not the end of the world, just do the best you can.

Ascension
08-02-05, 15:07
Be sure it's not the test centre window :lol:
shit thats reverse not 1st :(

No need for nerves.
Just keep thinking that by next month you'll have it, even if you fail now.

It's not the end of the world, just do the best you can.
Too True m8, i aint hystericlly nervous just anxious to get on with it :)

Mr Kot
08-02-05, 15:14
you sure you aint an examiner by profession?
Close... veeeeeeery close, but no cigar :p

..and in case you're wondering what DIS was babbling on about earlier, i taught him everything he knows and he passed first time :)

Ascension
08-02-05, 15:15
Close... veeeeeeery close, but no cigar :p

..and in case you're wondering what DIS was babbling on about earlier, i taught him everything he knows and he passed first time :)
well you got 15 mins to tell me everything you know before i leave for my final lesson :p

Mr Kot
08-02-05, 15:21
well you got 15 mins to tell me everything you know before i leave for my final lesson :p

Hehe, i think you know enough. Use your common sense and judgement and don't leave things too late.

Just think of what you do in NC all the time. If u walk around looking at the ground, expect to get jumped by enemies and taken by surprise. Raise your vision and keep scanning the horizon and you'll be amazed at what you see before they see you. ;)

Have fun.

[TgR]KILLER
08-02-05, 15:24
good luck asc hope you make it ^^

btw.. i still wonder why your apu has a sniper on the back.. now i see it in your sig to :p was asking myself the same yesterday @ cyc.. lol

-Demon-
08-02-05, 15:39
Well asc is about an hour away now...I hope he does it. But if not asc don't feel disheartened, not everyone passes first time!

darkservent
08-02-05, 17:18
So how did it go you should be back by now.

Siygess
08-02-05, 17:22
I have a mental picture of a little blue Vauxhall with test center markings bursting through a plate glass window on the upper floor of an office building and sailing through the flying debris in slow motion, with Ascention behind the wheel and a terrified instructor trying to bail out...

Hehe.

Seriously, I hope you passed :)

landofcake
08-02-05, 18:26
I hope it went well, i passed mine about 3 weeks ago, albeit with 12 minors :lol:

darknessfairy
08-02-05, 18:42
Just a quick note to say that Ascention didnt pass his test.

I did tell him to show his willy to the test person, but obviously he didnt :p

We all know he'll do it next time right?

<3 Asc :)

Lots of love from DF

Ascension
08-02-05, 18:47
GG : So i had two guys sitting in on me.. one lanky guy in the back... he was a customer service guy! so my examiner was well vigilant. So I got 3 majors! and 6 minors..

1) I was reversing round a junction up a hill and some car pulled in behind me.. i didnt stop (3 marks)

2) I was pulling out of a junction on a hill, the car rolled back a bit.. so i applied a gas and moved foward - an on comming car just missed me (3 marks)

3) driving down a busy duel carridge way and some lorry doing 55 and im behind it.. I pull up close to overtake, apparently too close.. (3 marks)

All in all stupid errors :p

darknessfairy
08-02-05, 18:54
they werent stupid errors at all

they shouldnt have had that second bloke. period.

end of conversation, go complain and get them to pass you.

MkVenner
08-02-05, 18:57
yeah dude, df's right, thats a bit fucked up....

and yeah, next time for sure :D

Ascension
08-02-05, 19:01
yeah dude, df's right, thats a bit fucked up....

and yeah, next time for sure :D
The 2nd guy said "hello, your examiner has told you about me yes?"
in which I replied "err... nope"
in which he replied "Im a customer service controller, ill be sitting in"
in which I waited

I was thinking they were gonna ask me if it was okay.. but nope he just got it :mad:

darknessfairy
08-02-05, 19:05
then complain, look if you dont stick up for yourself, you'll get walked over.

I have the same problem with bob, he just accepts situations, until i say "thats not what you wanted was it?" and he says no, so i go fix it

argue til the cows come home

MkVenner
08-02-05, 19:08
then complain, look if you dont stick up for yourself, you'll get walked over.

I have the same problem with bob, he just accepts situations, until i say "thats not what you wanted was it?" and he says no, so i go fix it

argue til the cows come home

That's all men :p

and yeah, dude a) that guys gunna make you more nervous, so you're gunna be more...nervous http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/redface.gif, and b) the examiner is gunna be more on his toes....and at the very least you should have been asked permission....

Ascension
08-02-05, 19:11
That's all men :p

and yeah, dude a) that guys gunna make you more nervous, so you're gunna be more...nervous http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/redface.gif, and b) the examiner is gunna be more on his toes....and at the very least you should have been asked permission....
Yeah, Im not happy bout that, but nevermind If i complained nothing would change really.. Better luck next time I guess!

[TgR]KILLER
08-02-05, 19:13
..........., not everyone passes first time!

i did ! 1,5 years ago :p

but asc don't worry man my best friend din't pass in 1 time to.. after 7 times he had it :D :p

MkVenner
08-02-05, 19:15
mate of mine had his test and failed, the examiner was under investigation at the time for being to hard/harsh, in the end he got fired, my mate complained and got a free test a coupla weeks later....passed....its always worth a try :p

maggotcorpse
08-02-05, 19:30
Passed first Time too ... those two Guys were talking about Football and stuff so they didnt watch what i have done ... my luck at all :D

Revslad
08-02-05, 19:31
nowt u could do now but u could have said u didnt want that person to sit in, he wasnt watching you he was watching the examiner and how well he performed, sorry to hear u didnt pass dude. :(

its all luck at the end of the day some examiners are harsher than others and what some pick up on some might not. :rolleyes:

dont feel bad about it, i allways say the best drivers are those who pass 2nd time (tho i passed 1st time and im a terrible driver:P) :D

Tratos
08-02-05, 19:36
hard luck dude :( tis a bit shit on the whole second dude thing.

good luck for next time :)

Genty
08-02-05, 19:57
all the best drivers pass second time.

MkVenner
08-02-05, 20:07
all the best drivers pass second time.
yeah that's true :p

jernau
08-02-05, 20:10
GG : So i had two guys sitting in on me.. one lanky guy in the back... he was a customer service guy! so my examiner was well vigilant. So I got 3 majors! and 6 minors..

1) I was reversing round a junction up a hill and some car pulled in behind me.. i didnt stop (3 marks)

2) I was pulling out of a junction on a hill, the car rolled back a bit.. so i applied a gas and moved foward - an on comming car just missed me (3 marks)

3) driving down a busy duel carridge way and some lorry doing 55 and im behind it.. I pull up close to overtake, apparently too close.. (3 marks)

All in all stupid errors :pBad luck dude. I'm sure you'll get it next time.

As for the right/wrong of the fail, look at it this way : although they are all small errors they could have huge consequences. Waiting a month won't kill you but going under an HGV will.

I'm not saying the test is always right or even that it's very good but I'd very much rather they erred on the side of caution.

Best of luck for next time.

Genty
08-02-05, 20:27
yeah that's true :p

I passed second time, i ain't crashed yet...must be a good record for a 18 year old male :P

MkVenner
08-02-05, 20:38
I passed second time, i ain't crashed yet...must be a good record for a 18 year old male :P
same here....well...one crash but not into another car, and it was a bit icy lol, and the country lane was excessivly twisty :p

-Demon-
08-02-05, 21:32
Asc you didn't have to have the guy in there...I've always been told you can say if you are not happy with the extra person..it's your test after all! I would really ring up and explain you never know you might get something out of it...or get your dad to it he would love that I'm sure hehe just found the contacts page :

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/OrganisationDetails.asp?id=SX1127-A77F5666&cat=223

Sorry to hear you didn't pass I did similar things when I failed mine...got it on my 5th attempt although I gave up in between some of the attempts and other stuff was going on too.

One thing though, don't give up like me...otherwise it will just get you down. Some days you have it in the bag other times you don't it's the luck of draw with the conditions, how you feel, examiner all sorts.

I don't feel bad for taking 5 times to pass cause you know what I got 3 minors on that test...

Mr Kot
08-02-05, 23:36
Sorry to hear the bad news, m8 :(

Look on the bright side though, the examiner saved you from yourself. I'm sure you won't make the same mistakes again, so when you are finally free to drive on your own or with friends, you will be a safer driver from the experience. That's why examiners clamp down so hard on anything potentially dodgy.

To be honest, the guy in the back wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the outcome of the test. You were the one driving the car and the guy in the front seat wrote down what he saw. The supervisor in the back does the same thing discreetly and they compare notes after the test to see that the examiner is conducting the test fairly. Just look at MkVenner's experience. The presence of the supervisor got a dodgy examiner the sack, so supervision is a good thing and in the public interest.

Just to clarify a point to all who say that the guy shouldn't have been there or that you can complain etc... It is a legal requirement that a candidate allows a supervisor in on a test. Regulation 38 (9) of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 (http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992864.htm#38) states:
"A person submitting himself for a practical or a unitary test shall, during the test-.....allow to travel in the vehicle -
(i) the person authorised to conduct the test; and
(ii) any person authorised by the Secretary of State to attend the test for the purpose of supervising it or otherwise...."
So you have no choice. Of course u are free to object at the time, but according to the DSA's internal examiner guidelines,
"If the candidate objects, the supervising officer should ask the reason and may decide not to go on test if there are special circumstances e.g. there is no third seat, or the candidate has been accompanied on a previous test. Otherwise they should explain to the candidate the need for supervision.......... . Supervisors should also mention the legal situation and that the test will be terminated unless the candidate agrees to their presence. If the candidate persists in his objections, the test should be terminated and the circumstances reported on the DL25."

Ringing or writing to complain about your previous test won't do you any good right now, but if a supervisor appears on your next test, u should make your objection known there and then and this should be considered. MkVenner's experience referred to a dodgy examiner and the law does allow a free re-test where the first test wasn't done in accordance with the regulations.

Anyway, don't be too downhearted. You're not the first to blow a test and you won't be the last. Learn from your experience, continue to practise, listen to your instructor's advice and go for it again full of confidence. :)

RDevz
13-02-05, 00:22
To all the people telling him to complain, once an examiner has ticked on of the three boxes (pass, fail, no result) on a DL25, the test result cannot be altered under any circumstances, even by a court. The most that can be done in the case of a *really* dodgy examiner is a free retest.

Loads of people fail on their first time. I got 11 minors and 2 majors (driving too close to parked cars and failing to indicate at the end of the test, after I'd already been failed). The second time, I came back a much better driver. 7 minors with a pen-happy examiner. For some reason he passed me, although I got three minors in one category (observation when turning right). Not that it matters anymore. :)

Ascension
13-02-05, 01:16
To all the people telling him to complain, once an examiner has ticked on of the three boxes (pass, fail, no result) on a DL25, the test result cannot be altered under any circumstances, even by a court. The most that can be done in the case of a *really* dodgy examiner is a free retest.

Loads of people fail on their first time. I got 11 minors and 2 majors (driving too close to parked cars and failing to indicate at the end of the test, after I'd already been failed). The second time, I came back a much better driver. 7 minors with a pen-happy examiner. For some reason he passed me, although I got three minors in one category (observation when turning right). Not that it matters anymore. :)
Its okay, ive accepted what happened.. and wasn't really pissed that I failed.. he was right to do so!

My next test is booked and my errors were nothing consistant. Fingers crossed eh? :p