PDA

View Full Version : Community initiative for game improvements [No:1]

boneybob
04-02-05, 12:53
As it was recently remarked upon in a thread on the English game forums, the resolution for in game textures has been increased with the new (reworked) NC2 game engine, but as again people have frequently pointed out some of the new textures introduce in NC2 look out of place in comparison to the original surrounding textures. Obviously to replace even half of the textures that go into a game the size of NC is a huge task for any dev crew, (let alone our poor KK lot).
As a small proposition, we know there are some extremely talented community members out their who would like to contribute to the games development and who have the right software to help, so why not allow the community to help renew the NC textures?
If such an initiative works for something simple like textures (problem is the amount) then couldn’t other projects also be undertaken by the community?
Some official word on this would be fantastic, Nidhogg, if you could talk with the crew.

berty
04-02-05, 13:26
I seem to remmber the same questions in NC1 especially around the time of TH zones and the reply was a big NO, there were a lot of people looking to help but there was that nastiness with the hacks and the mod forum got closed so I dont think the answer will be a good one. :(

hegemon
04-02-05, 16:20
With 8 years experience of working with volunteers and coordinating their work (and being a volunteer myself), I can tell you one thing. Asking for permission is useless. Just do it, post your results to whoever should have them, then talk about it. Talking and having ideas is cheap. Ideas are in most cases worthless because there is never a shortage of ideas, there is only a shortage of time to implement those ideas.

There are tools to fiddle with the data files that NC uses out there. Find the textures you want to fix, fix a few of them, send your work to KK, most likely they will be smart enough to accept your work and give you more access.

You'll probably have to break some rules to be able to do it. Don't ask for permission. Giving permission is blame-sharing, noone wants to do that. Ask for forgiveness. Granting forgiveness is credit-sharing, anyone in the company will do that.

berty
04-02-05, 16:33
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=102314

and if you "break some rules" to get there youll get a ban - Niddy will confirm this im sure

eLcHi
04-02-05, 16:51
They posted somewhere in a german thread (there was an english translation thread for that too, i know, i translated most of it ;) ) that they do not want to hinder the creativity of the community, they just cannot promise that things will get implemented ...

It was in the thread about Female PAs with info about format & polycount n stuff

boneybob
04-02-05, 18:30
Fair enough, i did think that some one must have suggested it before, and i do rember the thread about Female PEs from a while back. Im not trying to cause trouble by re-iterating the topic, prehaps i was just hopeing for posotive response from the KK, or from the community.
However what u guys have already said has been very close to what i would have expected in teh way of a response from KK, we will see.

berty
04-02-05, 18:34
sory bob didnt mean to crush that artistic spirit - I really enjoyed trawling the Mod forums and seeing the stuff that other people made - some of it was just mind blowing. It was just a shame that some people took it to the extreme and spoiled it for the rest of us, I look forward to the day when we can have our Mod forum back :)

GIJ0e
04-02-05, 18:41
Fair enough, i did think that some one must have suggested it before, and i do rember the thread about Female PEs from a while back. Im not trying to cause trouble by re-iterating the topic, prehaps i was just hopeing for posotive response from the KK, or from the community.
However what u guys have already said has been very close to what i would have expected in teh way of a response from KK, we will see.

bob, check your damn pm's!

FeeRsuM