PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] SL rework

berty
03-02-05, 19:27
I got bored at work and decided to have a go at a slight tweak of the SL system, problem showing my Carebear tendencies but I think its a good compromise and adheres a little more firmly to the faction relationoships. (I know its a brainport but could it be left here for a bit so it can be seen and commented on) :angel:

Soul Light

Revamp of the soul light system

Currently the soul light system is an outdated and outmoded way of “attempting” to control PVP blue on Blue and NPC killing I believe that the following would greatly increase the game enjoyment, lower the friendly fire and return the faction loyalties etc to its core values and allow the implementation of Clan Wars, it would also give the –sl runners some area to hunt themselves:-

1. current SL rating from 100 to –100 changes to 10 to –10 but the red/neutral/green stays.
2. Safe zones etc remain the same with the exception of:-
a. Safe zones – no fighting.
b. Hunting zones – only red can be shot at without a penalty, neutral incur a –sl hit and financial penalty, cannot shoot allies (ie LE effect).
c. Anarchy zones – red and neutral can be killed without a penalty, allies incur a –sl and financial penalty.
d. War zones – all are fair game.
e. All red SL can be shot at without penalty.
f. All white can be shot by everyone else but +sl players incur a –sl penalty for it (including the rules above apply), white on white nothing, red on white noting.
g. Only 1 item drop from a PK belt regardless of sl.

3. Financial Penalty – you can freely PK anyone up or down 10 attack levels below you (or 10 real levels), but for every level below that you pay 100 Nc to the Pkd person (per level – so you attack rank 50 you attack a tradeskiller at 0 then you pay (on their genrep) 5K) or you owe NC 5K and its gets taken then next time you make some money.
a. Or the least valuable item drops to the belt.

4. SL penalty

a. SL hit – for each runner killed you get –1 sl simple as that, when you reach 0 you turn white, when you reach –1 you turn red and suffer 10% price increase at all vendors, -2 you suffer 20% at all vendors, -3 you suffer 30% at all vendors, -4 – 40%, -5 you don’t get served and you get are “most wanted” (you become a bounty mission – and free to kill for any faction/runner with a bounty of £1K per kill (no re-kill within 10 minutes by the same person (vice versa) (this is infinetly exploitable so another idea maybe)).
b. Anything over –5 and you are KOS to all security guards and copbots, you get freely hunted by all and once you are killed you are genreped back in the prison.
c. You cannot escape the prison, you are there till your SL returns back to either –4 or 0, any higher and the guards will shoot you, once you have the appropriate SL you will be free to exit (zone synchs back to centre of the prison if insufficient sl)
d. New missions – a new mission will be created for all runners in prison:-
i. Penal Servitude/Hard Labour – The runner (regardless of rank/level/sl/faction) has to undertake a set of missions from within the prison, be it hunt a set of rats, scorps, etc a set of specific dungeons should be available for the runner to hunt and gain SL. Each successful mission gails 1 SL point and 5 Faction points +100NC (but this is payable to the government J)
e. Only specific missions can give SL return, Ie remove the current mission rewards of sl and have a separate section for SL missions, they should be harder and give 1 sl each mission, so instead of 5 cyclopses the runner must kill 10 + 5 preachers, or 10 Amok Copbots, deliver faction literature between certain areas or special jobs from Job dealers.

naimex
03-02-05, 19:34
quite honestly, too much work, to gain too little a benefit..

almost regardless of how you change a system, those that want to find a way around it, will eventually find a way around it.

fact of life...

mishkin
03-02-05, 19:48
quite honestly, too much work, to gain too little a benefit..

almost regardless of how you change a system, those that want to find a way around it, will eventually find a way around it.

fact of life...

There are always exceptions... And this seems to me like the best idea yet. Now, if we just had a test-server to try it out on :p

I think The Big N should forward this idea to the devs asap, so they can look it over ;)

Dribble Joy
03-02-05, 19:55
I generally dislike the idea of SL in the first place.
I would remove it entirely and base everything on faction symp.
Guard response, traders, FSMs, prices, everything.

Capt. Rik
03-02-05, 20:01
I generally dislike the idea of SL in the first place.
I would remove it entirely and base everything on faction symp.
Guard response, traders, FSMs, prices, everything.

tbh I tend to agree with DJ on this one. What the threadstarter is suggesting doesn't seem hugely different to what is going on now, if fact if you limit belt drop to 1 item only that that's better for the ganker than ever.

Plus there's no guarantee that a player will carry money around with them. Most would probably dump cash into a clan fund then go out killing.

i. Penal Servitude/Hard Labour – The runner (regardless of rank/level/sl/faction) has to undertake a set of missions from within the prison, be it hunt a set of rats, scorps, etc a set of specific dungeons should be available for the runner to hunt and gain SL. Each successful mission gails 1 SL point and 5 Faction points +100NC (but this is payable to the government J)
e. Only specific missions can give SL return, Ie remove the current mission rewards of sl and have a separate section for SL missions, they should be harder and give 1 sl each mission, so instead of 5 cyclopses the runner must kill 10 + 5 preachers, or 10 Amok Copbots, deliver faction literature between certain areas or special jobs from Job dealers.

This I like a lot though :)

Agent L
03-02-05, 23:50
b. Hunting zones – only red can be shot at without a penalty, neutral incur a –sl hit and financial penalty, cannot shoot allies (ie LE effect).
Defeats idea of pvp-oriented NC imho.
Punish, but don't forbid.

BTW, did anyone noticed there are 2 SL values in cron? One that is shown (that drops to -16 for first kill) and second, hidden "SL max" value which the first one climbs toward.

Leebzie
04-02-05, 00:07
Defeats idea of pvp-oriented NC imho.
Punish, but don't forbid.

BTW, did anyone noticed there are 2 SL values in cron? One that is shown (that drops to -16 for first kill) and second, hidden "SL max" value which the first one climbs toward.

Yea I noticed it, I used to try and get the highest max I could when my SL was high safe in the knowledge it would slowly raise back to it if I lost some.

What is really annoying is how you can go from +50 to -12 for a kill, esp NPC's.

Dunno about the vendor penalties, financial penalties and prison mate, could be quite boring and frustrating. (why would you pay someone because you killed them ?, it'd be better if you just 'lost' the money) , but the idea of just -1 or +1 changes is much better, saves that awful BS of 'oh crap omg damn im red' just because some loser allies jumped you and you killed them. Infact nowadays even being neutral means you have to hide from your allied ...'brothers'. so green penalty on neutral is good idea.

Agent L
04-02-05, 00:54
I personally like idea of 2 soullights : short- and longterm. Temporary dropping +50 to -12 for 1 kill is quite fair, but what ppl need is to show longterm value to comfort them ("sod that, I'll be back to + in few hours") and speedup climb-back rate. System needs tweaking of course, but I think it's only parameters that are wrong, not formulaes.

berty
04-02-05, 11:34
[quote]Defeats idea of pvp-oriented NC imho.
Punish, but don't forbid.[quote]

But surely the whole point of allies is you dont go and PK them all the time - you can go and pvp against them in an anarchy zone or warzone but Faction allies should be that - allies. You dont see the Americans killing the Brits (not on purpose anyway) when their fighting together do you?

Agent L
04-02-05, 11:39
Yeah, it is called "friendly fire" : D

superfresh
04-02-05, 15:25
So much concentration on SL penalties, I still think there should be more on benefits.

Example, get a 2nd safe slot at 50 SL, a third at 100. Then having good SL actually becomes more desirable if not strategic.

berty
04-02-05, 15:34
possibly incorporate this superfresh:-

+6 SL 10% barter increase and top 2 highest items safe from drop
+7SL 15% barter increase and top 3 highest items safe from drop
+8 SL 17.5% barter increase and top 2 highets safe wtih a 25% chance of droping a medpack
+9SL 19% barter increase top 2 sfe 35% chance of a medpack
+10 SL 20% barter increase top 2 sfe 40% chance of a medpack

superfresh
04-02-05, 15:38
Barter being tied into SL makes sense. Plus they didn't get a glove. :)

Jesterthegreat
04-02-05, 23:29
1. current SL rating from 100 to –100 changes to 10 to –10 but the red/neutral/green stays. why?

2. Safe zones etc remain the same with the exception of:-
b. Hunting zones – only red can be shot at without a penalty, neutral incur a –sl hit and financial penalty, cannot shoot allies (ie LE effect). physically limiting actionsis not the way forward...

c. Anarchy zones – red and neutral can be killed without a penalty, allies incur a –sl and financial penalty.
d. War zones – all are fair game.
e. All red SL can be shot at without penalty.
f. All white can be shot by everyone else but +sl players incur a –sl penalty for it (including the rules above apply), white on white nothing, red on white noting. no... white = low SL. white = criminal.

g. Only 1 item drop from a PK belt regardless of sl. no.

3. Financial Penalty – you can freely PK anyone up or down 10 attack levels below you (or 10 real levels), but for every level below that you pay 100 Nc to the Pkd person (per level – so you attack rank 50 you attack a tradeskiller at 0 then you pay (on their genrep) 5K) or you owe NC 5K and its gets taken then next time you make some money.
a. Or the least valuable item drops to the belt.

4. SL penalty

a. SL hit – for each runner killed you get –1 sl simple as that, when you reach 0 you turn white, when you reach –1 you turn red and suffer 10% price increase at all vendors, -2 you suffer 20% at all vendors, -3 you suffer 30% at all vendors, -4 – 40%, -5 you don’t get served and you get are “most wanted” (you become a bounty mission – and free to kill for any faction/runner with a bounty of £1K per kill (no re-kill within 10 minutes by the same person (vice versa) (this is infinetly exploitable so another idea maybe)).
b. Anything over –5 and you are KOS to all security guards and copbots, you get freely hunted by all and once you are killed you are genreped back in the prison.
c. You cannot escape the prison, you are there till your SL returns back to either –4 or 0, any higher and the guards will shoot you, once you have the appropriate SL you will be free to exit (zone synchs back to centre of the prison if insufficient sl)

uh... the rest looks to carebear to break down into comments O_o

just no.

i am aware it needs changing... but please god not to this.

:edit: it has been said that if barter had more boni they would have to rework it so points meant less. they want things to cost what they currently do for a barterer so any bonus means a rework of the barter system too.