PDA

View Full Version : RTS Strategy Games

Obsidian X
03-02-05, 17:05
I got a bit of a craving for a bit of RTS armchair general action last night, so I decided to dig out my old C&C Red Alert 2 CD. Great fun, I love those skirmish battles. My question is, whats the best out there today in this field?

Is it C&C Generals? I liked that game (I got that and the Zero Hour add on), but somehow it was never as fun for me as Red Alert 2 was. Anyone recommend any good ones?

Miss Naughty
03-02-05, 17:19
For me Warrior Kings and Warrior Kings: Battles were the best RTS games ever made. They weren't as highly polished as some of the others out there, but they were definetely the most involving and diverse. Every game you'd see a different tactic - and every so often a different unit you'd never seen before cos there were so many of them.

Tratos
03-02-05, 18:05
Generals is good but it need to Zero Hour if you just playing Generals if its multiplayer or just skirmish your after look for some kick ass mods for it as they really do set the game off if there good and dont unbalance it.

MkVenner
03-02-05, 18:07
Cossacks: The Art of War is my fav RTS, and i kinda liked ground control 2, oh and Rome total war 2, cossacks and rome are the 2 RTS that need the most strategy, no just unit a vs unit b

Hell-demon
03-02-05, 18:12
Dungeon Keeper 2!

Oath
03-02-05, 18:12
COUNTER STRIKE!!!

oh wait....nm :p

QuantumDelta
03-02-05, 19:21
Dk1 > DK2 I'm afraid.

--

Dawn of War - Great RTS.
Perimeter -- Something completely different (worth a look).
WarCraft3 - still going strong.
Zero Hour (Gens was pants in comparison) - still some life left.
Any Total War Game.
Battle For Middle Earth - New Game based on the Generals engine. - Plays differently.

There's also a nice new Star Wars RTS on it's way, apparently to be the first good SW RTS.
And that would probably make it the first good SW Game out side of the original 8 colour one and the KOTOR Games :lol:

Re: Total war bests:
Err.....Total war games are unit a vs unit b on a bigger clumsier scale, clumsy as in more realistic and sluggish like getting real troops to form up -- not for all people.

Perimeter and HomeWorld 2 beat your two games in what you listed them as strong points for ;p

landofcake
04-02-05, 01:38
The best RTS i've played is Homeworld 2 or possibly Homeworld: Cataclysm, although from the sort of game you've described it might not be to your liking.

Terayon
04-02-05, 01:44
Well i would recomend dawn of war, and rise of nations. Both are amazing rts games.

Momo Katzius
04-02-05, 10:04
Try out: http://www.darwinia.co.uk/

Homeworld was really cool.

Obsidian X
04-02-05, 13:22
Try out: http://www.darwinia.co.uk/

Homeworld was really cool.

I could never really get into Homeworld, that damn 3D control system confused the hell out of me :eek:

Thanks for the suggestions though, might have to try a few of em.

Does anyone remember Dune 2? Now that was a quality RTS (in its day of course)