PDA

View Full Version : Test Server? Will it return?

Tratos
03-02-05, 00:28
Another question from meh :D

Now refering to this (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=103371) the test server went down when the first troubles with Saturn occured and as the TS ran on the same cluster it was taken down to allow the rest of the hardware to run Saturn better now i can understand that there wasnt time for the TS when Neocron 2 reached Beta and then was in its early stages and such but that time has passed although there are alot of problems with the game still, some of which were caused by new patches so the question is this, will the test server be reappearing any time soon as im sure the entirity of the community would like it to happen to avoid such things as the implant drop bug and the new HN dungeons (im under the impression they are some how bugged damage wise? or was that a few patches ago?) anyway so yeah:

Will the test server go live again so we can help you, ReaKKtor to sort out some of the more annoying bugs before they reach the main servers at least if things are developed and then stuck on the test server but do not reach the main servers for a while the community still knows you guys are trying to sort the problems.......

So, Nidd? CoDi? will it happen?

EDIT: Once i get going i tend to repeat myself alot lol so sorry if this post doesnt read well.

-Demon-
03-02-05, 00:35
Considering the amount of dodgy patches we've had. It seems a good idea..I know everything can't be detected as NC1 proved..but maybe just maybe it would stop the showstoppers coming through.

Tidus_Origin
03-02-05, 00:40
The Testserver was a great way for KK to get help in finding bugs that they would otherwise miss from the people that matter the most. Us.

It'd be a good thing if it was brought back. :D

landofcake
03-02-05, 01:28
I agree, they should definatley bring it back.

Seven
03-02-05, 04:32
I thought Terra was the current test server.

Bugs Gunny
03-02-05, 10:45
Genteic manipulations and crossbreeding doesn't make it a testserver :-)

Tratos
03-02-05, 16:03
So... Nidhogg? can you ask around please as it seems people agree with me :p

Dribble Joy
03-02-05, 16:12
I've allready asked several people several times over the last few weeks, including niddy.

No plans for open test server as it stands.

KK have an internal test server (as they allways have), but again, there are no plans at the moment to expand any closed testing.

dem0n
03-02-05, 16:19
yes but the test server was taken down to beef up Terra, which means they need $$$ for new hardware, and I don't think they have that luxury, atm atleast.

Dribble Joy
03-02-05, 16:22
O_o

The TS ran on saturn's cluster, the new servers run on different hardware entirely.

TS had been offline since around may.

Spy XX
03-02-05, 17:13
from the german forums
So, ich kann euch sagen, dass ein NC2 Testserver in Planung ist, allerdings ist es mir noch nicht möglich, einen festen Termin dafür zu nennen. Also habt bitte ein wenig Geduld! :)

Hermes said that there are plans for a new NC 2 testserver but there is no deadline when it will be done yet, so he asks us to be patient.

Tratos
03-02-05, 17:42
I've allready asked several people several times over the last few weeks, including niddy.

No plans for open test server as it stands.

KK have an internal test server (as they allways have), but again, there are no plans at the moment to expand any closed testing.
Imho i think thats a pretty bad move since well, look what patches have done since NC 2 Retail has begun, fair enough we might still be at the stage previous to the implant drop bug patch with large amounts of stuff waiting to be patched but atleast we wouldnt have bugged imp drop...

...but still if KK say they arnt goona do it, there jack all we can do.

Dribble Joy
03-02-05, 17:44
I know, we need a TS. Though frankly I would prefer a closed one.

Oath
03-02-05, 17:45
Test server for the win.

athon
03-02-05, 17:53
The test server never elliminated that many bugs. From what I saw, most people used it as a place to perfect setups freely (LOM pills were instant and there were special LOMs for levelling up characters), rather than any actual bug testing.

We still had major bugs introduced by patches when the test server was alive.

Athon Solo

Nidhogg
03-02-05, 17:58
There will be a public test server at some point but no date has yet been decided.

N

jernau
03-02-05, 18:10
There will be a public test server at some point but no date has yet been decided.

N
Please tell me it will be better organised than the old one.

If it can't have realistic version control, invite-only testers under NDA and a professional bug-tracking system then don't waste time on an expensive and dangerous PR stunt.

Tratos
03-02-05, 18:23
Thanks Nid.

Also invitation only for the test server sounds like a reasonable idea.

Oath
03-02-05, 18:27
Thanks Nid.

Also invitation only for the test server sounds like a reasonable idea.

Have to say i agree. invitation only, as for nda, i don't think its necessary, invite only would suffice.

jernau
03-02-05, 18:29
Without an NDA how can you test new areas and content?

Heavyporker
03-02-05, 18:30
With me being on a new computer. I definitely can help out on test server, and am more than willing to do so.

NDA is a good idea. Remember what happened back then, when someone revealed tunnels and the TS assault rifle ahead of patch?

Oath
03-02-05, 18:55
Without an NDA how can you test new areas and content?

Nda's are more hassle then they are worth. An invite only server would be more suitable for many reasons.

Even with an NDA you can never garuntee that something wont "slip out" and realistically the likelyhood of prosecution for breaking it is very very low.

But you are right in some aspects it would be good, though i don't think it'd work.

jernau
03-02-05, 18:59
I agree the legal recourse is next to useless. The point is that it makes the company's position unquestionably clear so that if a major breach occurs they can quickly and easily ban whoever was involved from the main game servers.

Without it there will be at least a few more leaks and a lot more whinging when the guilty are punished.

Dribble Joy
03-02-05, 19:10
Invite only and some form of screening process would also aid to let noone less that would be likely to leak stuff.
People with long and proven records on comitment to the game.

Agent L
03-02-05, 22:55
Please tell me it will be better organised than the old one.

If it can't have realistic version control, invite-only testers under NDA and a professional bug-tracking system then don't waste time on an expensive and dangerous PR stunt.
nono, testserver is for players to test their new setups...

Leebzie
03-02-05, 23:57
The test server never elliminated that many bugs. From what I saw, most people used it as a place to perfect setups freely (LOM pills were instant and there were special LOMs for levelling up characters), rather than any actual bug testing.

I never understood how you could perfect your setup, sure you could could use it like a 'skillmanager' but there were rarely more than 2-3 other people on the entire server on. TS was great, I spent 3 weeks there having it as my main game for one time, I loved it, and never once did I use it for any 'setup testing'.

The TS *DID* pick up on a lot of bugs. Its just they seemed to release the patches regardless of what the TS people were telling them :( (to be fair tho, they did take action sometimes, and thats better than nothing), perhaps there were just additional pressures on them ?

BTW you'd never be able to make sure you could keep information totally secret - there are far too many ways to leak info. You cant really make it invite only like a beta, A beta is one thing a test server is another, because its desolate, and few people really *want* to use it - it can get lonely, unlike most beta's which have more than a fair share of players.

jernau
04-02-05, 00:38
It's not about making it totally secure, it's about making it reasonably secure. The nature of the internet means some info will always leak but there's a world of difference between a few whispers over MSN and a dozen threads on the primary support forum.

The old TS was a disaster for NC1 in that new content was either spoilt by being discussed ad infinitum before it arrived or practically untested in order to keep it secret.

There were several reasons so many bugs got past the TS system but all fall under the category of "shoddy or non-existant planning". Testing is not just a case of throwing up a vaguely relevant build and hoping the right people will take the time to assess it and then fight their way through a maze of deafness and nonsense to report what they find. It takes a professional, methodical and organised approach to get anything out of it and I'm not concinced KK know what any of those words mean.

A TS born out of the players desire to have a different rule-set or a personal sandbox is just a waste of KK's extremely limited time and resources.

athon
04-02-05, 11:03
Nda's are more hassle then they are worth. An invite only server would be more suitable for many reasons.

Even with an NDA you can never garuntee that something wont "slip out" and realistically the likelyhood of prosecution for breaking it is very very low.

But you are right in some aspects it would be good, though i don't think it'd work.
I'm not sure you need the threat of prosecution. Surely wouldn't the threat of being kicked off the test server be enough? And if it isn't, that person isn't going to be revealing anything else if they no lnoger have access to the test server, are they?

Athon Solo

nobby
04-02-05, 12:54
and how much would the test server files take up on our comps?

Obsidian X
04-02-05, 13:27
I wouldn't mind a closed test server with NDA even, as long as I'm chosen! :p

Though I dislike the idea of invites, as something tells me they'd base it purely on how long someone has been playing, as opposed to dedication to the game, record, etc.

Heavyporker
04-02-05, 17:27
I recall -the easy way to do a test server NC format for your computer WAS a whole another install with test server patches to it. (+1.6 or so GB)

The other way was to, um, split off the main body of Neocron to higher up in the program files, then to have separate folders for NC retail and NC test server patches. That's as much as I could understand. (+ 300 or so MB)

jernau
04-02-05, 21:00
You had to have two installs (install once then copy before patching) but you coud put the pak files (the big data files) into your root drive and both could use them from there.

Without the data fiiles an install is about 150Mb. Patch files and screenies then add to that of course.

Basically, it wasn't a lot of space.