PDA

View Full Version : I tried FOMK

Bugs Gunny
02-02-05, 09:52
With high anticipation i downloaded the client, installed it.

I had to restart the game before the logon screen worked right. Then i got a network error. Restart again.

Ah.. now i get to make a char. Standard customisation, not too many options but it at least looks like a person.

I end up in my appy, with a toilet etc... Funny.
I try clicking stuff for a full 5 minutes and end up out of my appartement.

Then run around another 30 minutes, without seeing anyone else.
By now i'm lost and i haven't seen a single thing to do.

I log off, get into neocron and kill the first red i see to shed the bad feeling i have :-)

Terayon
02-02-05, 09:56
I saw like.... 40 people all spamming chat at once. No one knew what to do and everyone was asking the same questions. It was madness.

Bugs Gunny
02-02-05, 09:58
At least in NC2 open beta you either got an answer or got shot in plaza1 :-)

jernau
02-02-05, 10:32

I had to restart the game before the logon screen worked right. Then i got a network error. Restart again.

Ah.. now i get to make a char. Standard customisation, not too many options but it at least looks like a person.

I try clicking stuff for a full 5 minutes and end up out of my appartement.

By now i'm lost and i haven't seen a single thing to do.

I log off, get into neocron and kill the first red i see to shed the bad feeling i have :-)Apart from the toilet that could be a newbies first day in NC.

Funny that ;).

/edit - If Nid reads this : Can we now discuss this game or do we have to wait for it to go retail? Knowing some of the history I understand why it may still be a sore point at KK but it would be nice to know if the forum policy has changed now it's in public beta.

Original monk
02-02-05, 10:34
i tried it out a while ago like most here .. it felt empty in there but thats some time ago now, i wouldnt have a clue how it would be now .. being openbeta and all ..

i do know i got a mail yesterday (im still in the list it seems) to appologize for the inconvenience with the start of the betaservers .. all mmorpg's seem to be doomed to have troubles the first day .. they said they where gonna upgrade servers ..

thats all i know tough :)

Morganth
02-02-05, 10:36
Same thing happened to me.

Eventually after looking around for a few mins (graphics aren't bad) I logged off and went straight onto NC to research, which was far more interesting and rewarding.

Shenyu Reza
02-02-05, 10:43
me i don't found weapons ... i understand nothing ! (sry my english :p )

but it's a beta and... :confused: Network : Socket 100215 :confused:

oups fatal version F**

-Demon-
02-02-05, 11:13
Yup certainly to me it seems empty...too big and too many coriddors of nothnig...no nav ray type tool. The noob emails don't explain much about the interface only the crafting etc...which is all well and good but probably no good to me if I a) Cannot find anyone b)cannot buy anything.

Sorry to say at least neocron had a cool community, items to start off with, a half decent noobie area. Doesn't seem like anyone in that game is willing to talk to you...maybe they are as lost as I am I dunno lol...and ain't worked out the chat key yet.

Atm it blows...I aint seen the lag etc they saying they gonna fix...seen nothing to lag me out yet.

Dr Strange
02-02-05, 11:14
(assuming its ok to discuss now)

Funny story;

The devs upped the starting credits to 50k per person, to see how the economy would flow and if any changes were nesscary.

1 hour+ of running around the only place I found to place to buy stuff, their version of an auction house/ssystem.

The funny part was a dude was selling a ton of different items, ALL at 50k. So you could buy a gun, for 50k. But then you'd need bullets, which also would cost 50k. (basically just ripping offf the newb market thats there atm).

Other than that it doesnt look fun.

- None of the NPC's work atm
- Theres no way to navigate to an actual store to purchase say, armor or a weapon.
- The "stamina" system is quite lame. The fact you have to pay 5 creds per second of replishment of stamina at a Med station was rather dumb (about 1-3% rejuvinated during that time so like 300+ credits to recharge stamina).
- The gui is rather burdening. Its simplistic yet its controls require rebinding too much.
- There is no auto walk, or auto run button to be bound. You can bind a toggle for switching between run and walk but thats nothing special. (friends say I'm lazy, I just hate having to constantly hold several buttons to move when I just hit 1 and direct with my mouse)
- Text is EXTREMELY small. If you have 20/20 or better vision, expect some eye soreness or headaces after playing for several hours trying to read the damn ingame fonts.

Overall it blows. I never played NC1, but the NC2 open beta hooked me in like a fish (strangely enough another term for noobs). This open beta, was a waste of 800 megs bandwidth and HDD space

Terayon
02-02-05, 11:14
I was in 5 min after the servers opened up so maybe thats why i saw so many people. After 10 min everyone dispersed and i thought it was as server problem becouse i never saw anyone after that.

Acualy i found these panels where i could buy stuff. I wasent sure if i was looking at weapons for some of the stuff. So i loggedo ut of it for a bit, reconnected becouse of a bug, and when i connected again i couldent use the thing.

john irons
02-02-05, 11:19
well the reason your not seeing many people is probably because thier in a different city, you can go to nyc tokyo paris and a couple of different planets.

and each city is easily the size of nc it'self, so quite big.

Ultazha
02-02-05, 11:21
I got an idea for the ads of FoM:

"FoM, the game that will make you love Neocron again and so much more !"

:lol:

Masentaja
02-02-05, 11:25
Didn't like the game, gameplay was awful.
I managed to get a gun after 30min of mindless wandering, and shot someone, and logged. I never felt that bad when shooting someone.

-Demon-
02-02-05, 11:40
well the reason your not seeing many people is probably because thier in a different city, you can go to nyc tokyo paris and a couple of different planets.

and each city is easily the size of nc it'self, so quite big.

Yeah the problem is with the size...I mean apart from dungeons who likes wandering around what seems like endless corridors and getting lost...I can only do that for so long I'm afriad until it gets old and boring...telling me I need to goto another place...having a bigger area doesn't make it better than Nc if all you do is effectively make a timesync out of getting anywhere...also depending on poplutions you gonna see problems meeting and communicating with others as everyone is spread out too thin.

Sorry just dont get this game and it's dare I say it more noob unfriendly than nc ever was at least you get some starter items in nc...

Nidhogg
02-02-05, 16:47
Thread renamed.

N

Revslad
02-02-05, 16:49
i didnt even get to buy a gun, i loged on in apt. fine, exit apt saw someone...clicked few emotes. then ran around to where a few people were ... asked where i could get a gun cause i wanted to pk, no reply. did a bit more running got bored. loged off. uninstalled...

now what most anoyed me was why did my char look like it shit it pants when running, looked like a shit filled nappy lol. :p

its a pos game. nothing compared to nc :lol:

Lothar IB
02-02-05, 16:51
beta test

RogerRamjet
02-02-05, 16:54
I was on the closed beta. Theres loads of GM events so there was always something to do around 10 each night.

However the open beta is madness. Theyres like 30,000 noobs (or something) signed up, and theyre all running around Brooklyn shooting each other, so te army have moved in, haha.

Dribble Joy
02-02-05, 16:54
beta test
Second stage beta test, a stress test, balancing things allready in and final adjustments before launch.
Final product will probably look very similar.
If it was an alpha/first stage closed beta, then yes, you wouldn't expect much to be working.

Bah, ignore me, I'm a n00b.

Lachlan
02-02-05, 17:19
It wasn't easy, but I did stick with it long enough to get a gun and some ammo only to find out I was supposed to be using rubber bullets to arrest people and by that time I was out of money. I joined LED so there were patrol missions in Brooklyn, but there were so many people and I never did figure out how you get credit for completing a mission.

It was total chaos, some noob would pull out a gun trying to figure out the thing worked and he'd instantly have 30 cops pointing their guns at him and shouting "holster it!".

After a few hours of trying to play "the right way", I went to Berlin and started randomly ganking people. That was fun. Mostly because they didn't expect it.

I still have no idea how I'm supposed to make money.

Asul
02-02-05, 17:43
I hope there'll be more ppl who just log in, play a hour and uninstall the game, really full in there at the moment :D

I figured out how to get a gun at the Trade Terminal, but the prices where high tooo high 0o
A friendly player sold me his gun and I bought some amo and went to the Place where some ppl started missions.
Tried to do my first mission and suffer baddly ^^

Had to defend an area, but there is no hud-Map, so I couldn't find that area, but nevermind, went through the vortex to some citys, then decide to pk...

-FatAl-

Wake up in the ap (u allways wake up in the app in the OB, so u cant get stuck) went to a town, wana Pk, but whats that?? 0o
No ammu :eek:
Have bought 1 Clip 4 900(cr?), now the prices are 10.000 for a clip :(
Then I logged out, try to find some friendly player who sell me a clip or 2, then I can pk someone and sell his stuff *hrrhrr*, there are no cashmashine missions, so trade, pk, work as bodyguard, many options to go.
Next time Ill try to find some alliens to kill, maybe the have good loot.

All in all, itz just a beta 4 Stresstest, not a retail or Testaccount, there is much in the game, u just have to see it :p

And no, I've NOT play the closed, playin maybee 6 hours till start, its just a beta, have seen better, but its fun, when u know how to take ^^

(note, the same I say 4 NC, its what u do out of it)

- None of the NPC's work atm
Yes, Stresstest ^^

- Theres no way to navigate to an actual store to purchase say, armor or a weapon.U can buy all thte things @ the same Terminal as the Weapons and other things

- The "stamina" system is quite lame. The fact you have to pay 5 creds per second of replishment of stamina at a Med station was rather dumb (about 1-3% rejuvinated during that time so like 300+ credits to recharge stamina).
I think it was 5 Cr for 5%, but yes, that sucks!

- The gui is rather burdening. Its simplistic yet its controls require rebinding too much.
rebind nearly all controlls at nerly all games I Play... Is that not normal?

To all ppl who flame arround: use the Irc, its not too dificult, or is it 4 u? :p

Tidus_Origin
02-02-05, 17:46
lol - i downloaded it, got the beta account. Still havent found my way out of the apartment.

now, before everyone flames me like they did in OOC lastnight: I've already tried:

- stepping onto the teleporter
- clicking the teleporter/rep unit/multicom
- buying a vortex ticket (wtf? no ticket machine in my apartment)

So, i gave up and went back on NC.

at least the respawn time is a 'reasonable' 4 minutes on NC...not sure what it is on FoM, but ive heard some1 say it was a real-world day...but thats exaggeration surely...?

Logan_storm_03
02-02-05, 17:47
man, i know its beta but honestly, its pretty.. ..erm.. shite :rolleyes:, yea it is OK in some aspects and i will play it for abit just for the crack of it (now i know what to do ect), but my god it makes you apreicate neocron ALOT more. Personly i think neocron is the best MMOLG out now ( personal taste ).
:p

Asul
02-02-05, 17:56
man, i know its beta but honestly, its pretty.. ..erm.. shite :rolleyes:, yea it is OK in some aspects and i will play it for abit just for the crack of it (now i know what to do ect), but my god it makes you apreicate neocron ALOT more. Personly i think neocron is the best MMOLG out now ( personal taste ).
:pHehe, agree, now u can feel that NC is 2 years "old" and not "paid Beta" like some ppl like to say ;)

Clownst0pper
02-02-05, 18:01
I just remember the complete and utter disapointment and shock to those who got in the closed beta 1 - 2 of DOY.

Ill say no more ;)

Radamez
02-02-05, 18:21
I too was disappointed, I can live with somewhat dated graphics, but Neocrons are more advanced than this. And that's saying something ;)

No tutorial, didn't have a clue what to do, I joined Brotherhood of Shadows or whatever, and saw people planning raids etc on faction chat, so I knew there must have been light at the end of the tunnel. But the game just didn't grab me enough to want to bother!

And they have their own version of the FRE! The socket error! :D

Neocron with all it's fault, was at least fun and you had something to do! this? I'll be skipping it.

Oath
02-02-05, 18:39
Safe to assume its safe since nid has clearly seen it and its not deleted or closed "yet".

Tried it again, not sure if the nda still applies since its now "open beta" but i never liked it, some people say im biased, but i gave it every chance. The neocron killer?

No.

Some of the textures are nice yeah, but answer this, does a nice texture make up for lack of anything else? To be honest, the concept of fomk in some respects is on a par with neocron, i like the IDEA of the player based things, but they WILL NOT work out, any intelligent person will see why. The missions are..interesting.

But yeah, it is beta, lots of shit to take care of but i seem to recall other people judging neocron on its beta, and regardless of the past experiences with fomk, i will give it a chance when it retails, if it does.

MkVenner
02-02-05, 20:29
i still prefer NC...

alot of my BF clan are playing it so i thought id join in, its much more like Rainbow 6 or Battlefield style FPS where NC is more like quake, we spent 4 hours playing it last night and had alot of fun, a big fuck off group of merc locked down berlin, and then us 5 tried to storm NY, and we were holding them off down this corridoor, which was fun. But in NC it would just involve madly running around eachother trying to keep lock. Cover is alot more important, so kneeling and taking careful aim...which i like...we just went around raiding people and taking their kit for money lol.

The core idea to the mission system is great, patrol here, kill any enemy faction, rescue this hostage etc. The MAJOR problem with it tho, it mission can only be set by higher ranking players, not NPCs, so if none of them are online, or want to set missions, theres noting really to do...

but one thing that is definitivly better than NC is it allied and nutral killing system. you have a penalty rating, which steadily increases the more greens you kill, once it get high enough you get put on a most wanted list, with a nice tag above your name saying so. People can arrest you, incapacite you with rubber bullets or tazers before hand if needs be and arrest you, they get the bounty and you go to prison. Where you can either brake out but keep the penalty, or stay and work it off doing hard labour

msdong
02-02-05, 20:52
fom have some PROs:

the missions, they are so cool. the leader set a agenda and high levels make missions around that point.
mining, yes its a little borin but the fact that mining costs and taxes gow to the owning faction is not bad.
the level system where you get knowlege, not skill.
the GFX is faster
player cops

on the CON side i have:
lot of spare time while doing mision and mining
its all done on terminals
the levels look ugly, there are alot of ugly wallpapers its all to clean.
THERE IS NO OUTSIDE WORLD

i try it a few times now, and i think ill try again on weekend but until now its not makin me hot. yes neocron ruined my taste :D

anyone as "low" as level 4 can set up missions afaik. thats not that high.

jernau
02-02-05, 21:42
I DLed it
I installed it
I patched it
I tried to run it
I tried to run it again
I rebooted
I tried to run it again
I went for dinner
I tried to run it again

Sadly I have yet to experience all the wonders of which everyone else here enthuses so.

There's no config app and no help files. I will look on IRC later but I'm hardly inspired.

The pics during the install looked OK, a few aspects were better than NC(2), some were worse and many were suspiciously familiar. I don't know how well they represent the game though.

Spermy
02-02-05, 22:11
I'll post here what I did there.

Personally I stand by 18+

Maturity is a serious issue -

All the things I hate are to do with the community - Reports not being filed. People running amok, The economy, the vocal taunt spam (WORST IDEA EVER!)

I had to mute my f**kin game sounds.

GROW THE HELL UP.

People are the worst thing to happen to that game.

3 times The LED had to call on us because they cannot handle all the fucking kids - GMs are there to sort these problems not Players

We Pay to play - not to police the kids.

Pay for some decent fucking GMS.

Xeno LARD
02-02-05, 22:22
I've downloaded it twice now, installer didn't run (MD5 not right either, so currupt - TWICE!) :(.

XenivouS
02-02-05, 22:23
Shit im still trying to figure out what to do after i leave my fuckin apt...

triXter
02-02-05, 22:28
NC with current character textures and new gfx
+
ambiental FoMK resolution
>
* (including free beer and Elisabeth Hurley in Bedazzled)

Meant as an incentive that is, nothing else :)

msdong
02-02-05, 22:32
Shit im still trying to figure out what to do after i leave my fuckin apt...

how about kill your char and restart ?

or just go to their forum and complain :D :D :D :D :D

XenivouS
02-02-05, 22:35
how about kill your char and restart ?

or just go to their forum and complain :D :D :D :D :D

yea i would lol but when i log in to play i dont even get to a char creation/selection page just logs in and goes to the char. But i gave up on it after 2 hrs of trying to figure out what to do after walking in circles and spending my money on teleports to different places trying to figure out what to do. So im happily back in NC and came to the conclusion that NC>FoMK

Spermy
02-02-05, 22:40
NC>FoMK

Agreed. :angel:

FOMK is strange and confusing...

triXter
02-02-05, 22:46
I would sell stuff off my body for a general texture/ambiental upgrade in NC...

I mean... no, never mind, I'll just start crying again... :p

aKe`cj
02-02-05, 23:03
I downloaded beta2, "played" it for a little and made sure it was physicly erazed from my HDD after a few days. I haven't played it ever since and I refuse to waste any of my bandwith and precious hdd-space to DL the current client. Imo the fomk-team should've worked on a HL or UT mod ..that would've been a good thing regarding how much more work it is to programm a complex mmorpg... BUT .. that still doesnt make the gfx-team any better. The HUD, most of the models and definetly quite a bunch of maps are just crap. They hurt my eye .. and when I take a look at current screenshots I see little improvement.
The concept, some ideas and goals are amazing & very interesting. I did & do like a lot of the ideas .. but in the end it comes down to the final product...
Same counts for NC: I -LOVED- the concept ...and the reality looks a lot less interesting.. but still KK managed to make the game fun .. dps failed imo. Of course ppl need to get familiar with the game at first .. but nevertheless, fom is work and not fun.. if you are unemployed and have enough money to pay for your expenses + the game ... and are able to spend a LOT of time .. fom might be fun... for me it is simply not an option.. too many bugs, too complicated to attract a massive-morp-community, too ugly in terms of GFX (gfx is the last thing I focus on regarding a game .. but if gameplay etc are so-so.. gfx become crucial")...

whutever.. I wont ever again set a foot in the fom-universe.. although I thought that the devs had great ideas for a new type of mmorpg... not well put into action though ...not at all :(

jernau
02-02-05, 23:05
FOMK is strange and confusing...
Well, to be fair, so was NC three or more years ago.

The funny thing is that in three years people on their forums will be telling each other how much better the game was in the beta days than it will be then.

landofcake
02-02-05, 23:12
I too was disappointed, I can live with somewhat dated graphics, but Neocrons are more advanced than this. And that's saying something ;)

ATTACK OF THE ENVIRONMENT MAPS !!!

msdong
02-02-05, 23:45
best is the propaganda machine worked again for KK. i guess MJS annouce NC>>FoM shirts on weekend.

Jesterthegreat
03-02-05, 00:51

I had to restart the game before the logon screen worked right. Then i got a network error. Restart again. beta test... besides theres times in NC i crash / bug more than that upon login

Ah.. now i get to make a char. Standard customisation, not too many options but it at least looks like a person. agreed. hopefully there will be more options later in the beta or inretail

I try clicking stuff for a full 5 minutes and end up out of my appartement. read the FAQ etc before playing? i agree the noob experiance sucks ingame though

By now i'm lost and i haven't seen a single thing to do. i have yet to find an area with less than 10 people. the shopping areas all have close to 100 in them.

I log off, get into neocron and kill the first red i see to shed the bad feeling i have :-)

i havent logged on NC except when servers are downfor patching since i got my account.

The funny part was a dude was selling a ton of different items, ALL at 50k. So you could buy a gun, for 50k. But then you'd need bullets, which also would cost 50k. (basically just ripping offf the newb market thats there atm). different items in different locations.

Other than that it doesnt look fun.

- None of the NPC's work atm aye

- Theres no way to navigate to an actual store to purchase say, armor or a weapon. player run economy... no NPC stores. ambitious... not sure how well it will pan out

- The "stamina" system is quite lame. The fact you have to pay 5 creds per second of replishment of stamina at a Med station was rather dumb (about 1-3% rejuvinated during that time so like 300+ credits to recharge stamina).... or stand still... or sit down... or rest... or walk... or crouch. basically do anything but run or jump and you gain stamana

- The gui is rather burdening. Its simplistic yet its controls require rebinding too much. ? the chat window cant be resized unfortunatlky but other than that its all fine. and i set my controls once... oh only other annoying thing is when someone speaks in organisation lobby it beeps :p

- There is no auto walk, or auto run button to be bound. You can bind a toggle for switching between run and walk but thats nothing special. (friends say I'm lazy, I just hate having to constantly hold several buttons to move when I just hit 1 and direct with my mouse) ugh... thats what i hated about turn based combat RPG's... one button and sleep.

- Text is EXTREMELY small. If you have 20/20 or better vision, expect some eye soreness or headaces after playing for several hours trying to read the damn ingame fonts. better than 20/20? impressive. but i agree. a squashed up font.

Overall it blows. I never played NC1, but the NC2 open beta hooked me in like a fish (strangely enough another term for noobs). This open beta, was a waste of 800 megs bandwidth and HDD space

your (extremely closed minded IMO) opinion is yours to decide.

QuakCow
03-02-05, 01:00
ok..well those weapons/armor etc, that are all 50k are usually production blueprints....ammo is hella expsnive though...my little bother is the games combat is so bleh, and the player run economy makes shit so expsnive (greedy bastages!) :mad:

Jesterthegreat
03-02-05, 01:03
ok..well those weapons/armor etc, that are all 50k are usually production blueprints....ammo is hella expsnive though...my little bother is the games combat is so bleh, and the player run economy makes shit so expsnive (greedy bastages!) :mad:

my gun cost me 500 credits.

my ammo cost 1k per clip.

MkVenner
03-02-05, 01:03
jester, click on the key like image in the circle to turn that bleeping off :p

im enjoying myself....only thing that i really cant see working for a while yet is the economy, everything is man made, so atm alot of things are stupid over priced, and 7.62mm ammo cost 10k to build per clip unless you make a HUGE batch...apparently

Jesterthegreat
03-02-05, 01:04
jester, click on the key like image in the circle to turn that bleeping off :p

woo hoo :D

Dr Strange
03-02-05, 01:23
So I booted FOMK up for one more try

And yep this game still blows. The website has virtually no information on the game other than backstory. Their forums have been down since Sunday night. Ok I get its still new, and all. But after the first day their forums should have been up.

The only guides/help have been written by other newbies which is a good thing but still, a GM pointing you in the right direction would be nice.

The irc is fucking pointless, people just tell you the same shit "well you can go here and do this. or go here to buy this" have the time they are WRONG.

Weapons are so overpriced its not funny. The ecconomy IS player based, great idea for an open beta. A knife, a god damn knife costs like 20k creds. If you can manage to FIND a city that has guns for sale good luck affording a decent one, thats including being able to afford bullets.

The cities are pretty small. If you look at the mall-type map that shows Where You Are on it, most of the cities are roughly the size of like Viarosso.

Rehealing at a medstation takes too long for the price you pay. If I am paying 20 creds per percentage I wanna heal in no more than 30 seconds. 2+ minutes is rediculous.

Dying takes too long to respawn. That is a HUGE draw back thats going to drive away players. If you have to wait almost 5 minutes after dying (this is talking about being in the Cloning Facility) thats it for most. At least in NC you can respawn, albiet with synaptic impairment but you can still respawn instantly.

Yep, FOMK still sucks hardcore.

Jesterthegreat
03-02-05, 01:25
So I booted FOMK up for one more try

And yep this game still blows. The website has virtually no information on the game other than backstory. Their forums have been down since Sunday night. Ok I get its still new, and all. But after the first day their forums should have been up. the yare up now...

The only guides/help have been written by other newbies which is a good thing but still, a GM pointing you in the right direction would be nice.
as is said i agree that the noob experiance sucks :p

The irc is fucking pointless, people just tell you the same shit "well you can go here and do this. or go here to buy this" have the time they are WRONG. the shop term things stock what people are selling. if you dont get there quick ebough then your fult, not theirs.

Weapons are so overpriced its not funny. The ecconomy IS player based, great idea for an open beta. A knife, a god damn knife costs like 20k creds. If you can manage to FIND a city that has guns for sale good luck affording a decent one, thats including being able to afford bullets. then shop around. i got my pistol for 500 credits, my NRG pistol for 10k and my NRG rifle for 35k.

The cities are pretty small. If you look at the mall-type map that shows Where You Are on it, most of the cities are roughly the size of like Viarosso. nope. most places i have been are the size of all via rosso combined...

Rehealing at a medstation takes too long for the price you pay. If I am paying 20 creds per percentage I wanna heal in no more than 30 seconds. 2+ minutes is rediculous./quote] buy a medikit?

[quote]Dying takes too long to respawn. That is a HUGE draw back thats going to drive away players. If you have to wait almost 5 minutes after dying (this is talking about being in the Cloning Facility) thats it for most. At least in NC you can respawn, albiet with synaptic impairment but you can still respawn instantly. dont die? the game also has perma death if you run out of clones. the death system is meant o be harsh. in NC death means nothing.

Yep, FOMK still sucks hardcore.

hmmm... server has been down since before i posted here.

i smell bullshit. no way you logged on when servers down for maintainance.

MkVenner
03-02-05, 02:11
every city sells different things, if you put you 9mm pistol up for sale in Berlin, you can see it in Brooklyn...

and each city is pretty big....about the size of all plaza or all vio, easy....and feel alot less 2d than NC, and there are some outside zones, go to bookers bay, you can run around on the surface there, tho be careful if you're LED or FRC, Mercs usually have there and Berlin locked down :p

mishkin
03-02-05, 02:16
FOMK is shit all around. It's got the ugliest characters I've ever seen.
I just tried the matrix online today, and boy, that thing ROCKS! :D Compared to that, Fomk seems like a meaningless soon to be forgotten piece of shit. And I hope I will forget it soon, because it's giving me nitemares :(

Terayon
03-02-05, 02:19
Its still better then SWG :D .

Jesterthegreat
03-02-05, 02:24
Its still better then SWG :D .

haha... pokemon is better than swg ffs...

at least we agreeon something :D

Bozz-Von Mel
03-02-05, 02:47
My FOMK experience was not so good. I downloaded the client. I patched the client. I waited for the open beta portal to open. I log in. First thing I do is get all my keys mapped. Next I read all the in-game emails. Finally I figure out how to get out of my apt, but I still have no idea how to manipulate anything. I walk around for about 3 min before the first person shoots me. Didn't know he was enemy until I get up real close to see his tag, and even then I have to hit escape and learn the factions. I guess ammo is so scarce that this guy was killing me simply for my inventory, of which I had none. I come back with a tremendously underhealthed clone and on my way out of the hospital I am shot to death again. I come back with my tremendously underhealthed clone again and look around for a gun, gotta defend myself. No gun to be found. I am killed a third time in this 5 min period standing around in the market while chatting and asking basic questions.

I log out, I exit game, I uninstall FOMK open beta NEVER to return.

Dr Strange
03-02-05, 03:25
dont die? the game also has perma death if you run out of clones. the death system is meant o be harsh. in NC death means nothing.

hmmm... server has been down since before i posted here.

i smell bullshit. no way you logged on when servers down for maintainance.

Perma Death, yes. The worst idea for a MMORPG, thats forced. If there were servers that had it as an option, I could agree. But come on, can you HONESTLY tell me when this goes gold and it requires money monthly, people will pay to lose a character after 3 deaths unless they shell out a good portion of their ingame cash for more clones? Might as well just bend over the barrell and ask them to ram that spiked dildo in harder cause either way you are getting FUCKED.

See a game this GOD AWFUL should be PAYING US to beta test it. Seriously this game is complete horse shit. The game makes KK look like bronze olympian gods in comparison when it comes to development.

And I FUCKING LOVE your ability to tell me WHEN I AM LOGGED IN. Sure you can try an assumption based on my forum post time here but no assumption is safe. I was playing early this morning after trying it last night. Good job telling me when I am playing a game and when I am not.

MkVenner
03-02-05, 03:37
well just keep your clones up to date, no perma death

Netphreak
03-02-05, 04:49
Get clone insurance you pay monthly that way you dont have to keep buying clones all the time.

As for buying guns etc... just go to the marketplace in the city your in and use a terminal.

And to all those comparing NC2 open beta to FoMk open beta stop it!
NC2 open beta is just NC1 with DOY city added and some textures updated, however it had/has alot more bugs than NC1 did at the time of NC2's release.

KK wish their client could be as stable as FoMk's is atm, most of FoMk's issues atm are server-side and thats to be expected in a stress test.

capt-o
03-02-05, 05:16
Yea, without some massive patch this thing is going down the drain.

The characters look weird, the navigation is difficult, the noob experience is bad, the game is full of money sinks without any way to make money if your unarmed (mined myself into a corner), 24 hours to restart a character when you only get one?
And yea it may not have FRE's but at least NC doesn't outright lock up. If the socket errors don't get me the ctrl+alt+del does.

Skipping this thing....

Seven
03-02-05, 07:38
One thing that cracks me up about the player models is that the heads are too small for the body.
If there was a starter guide I would try it again, but I can't be bothered to try and learn yet another game by trial and error.

I'm still doing that with Neocron!

So meh, I'll play NC2 instead for now.

msdong
03-02-05, 08:34
Perma Death, yes. The worst idea for a MMORPG, thats forced...... But come on, can you HONESTLY tell me when this goes gold and it requires money monthly, people will pay to lose a character after 3 deaths unless they shell out a good portion of their ingame cash for more clones?....

is there a big difference in buying clones in NC or buy BP in NC ?

since you dont have to level any skills its a low price to just get back equipment. i gues sit must be as hard as in NC when u are clanned O_o

yes the 24h suck

Spoon
03-02-05, 08:35
The core idea to the mission system is great, patrol here, kill any enemy faction, rescue this hostage etc. The MAJOR problem with it tho, it mission can only be set by higher ranking players, not NPCs, so if none of them are online, or want to set missions, theres noting really to do...

I told them that was going to be a problem months ago....

No one ever listens to me.... :(

LiL T
03-02-05, 09:26
Well....

Did you guys try playing for more than one day I guess you didn't ...

I however, are having a stabbing time :angel: god this game is really sick must have been 50 cops I helped to brutaly murder befor I went to jail. I like it so far theres plenty for me in this game to do cos I'm just a pking arsehole :p

eLcHi
03-02-05, 10:20
Firstoff - I can read the Font in the Chat window ... and i really tried to make it readable

Noob-Experience sucks

Went to New York and Berlin, saw a total of about 10 people, tried to get help, noone talked to me (besides the font beeing so hard to read it hurts)

Stamina-System sucks, granted, but kneeling or crouching refreshes it pretty fast

Perma-Death has a certain attraction to people ... but it`s better to leave people a CHOICE (in this case - not buy the game) like in Diablo 2 ... play Hardcore or don`t, your choice

GFX ... well, nice try, seen better, seen worse ... i won`t comment on the player-animations tho i don`t wanna risk a ban :D

What kills the game for me -> MOVEMENT FFS !

The movement in FoM just feels plainly WRONG ... ok, it may be more realistic that way but then i`d say FUCK REALISM it´s a sci-fi game anyway ... in NC the movement just feels right ... (maybe a few years of hardcore quake messed me up, i don`t care, sue me :P )

But since i`m a very patient person i will try it again today ... after all i know some people that are already in the big production business ;)

jernau
03-02-05, 10:28
Well....

Did you guys try playing for more than one day I guess you didn't ...
How many days has it been in open beta for? :rolleyes: :p

Nikabolokov
03-02-05, 12:33
Perma Death, yes. The worst idea for a MMORPG, thats forced. If there were servers that had it as an option, I could agree. But come on, can you HONESTLY tell me when this goes gold and it requires money monthly, people will pay to lose a character after 3 deaths unless they shell out a good portion of their ingame cash for more clones? Might as well just bend over the barrell and ask them to ram that spiked dildo in harder cause either way you are getting FUCKED.

See a game this GOD AWFUL should be PAYING US to beta test it. Seriously this game is complete horse shit. The game makes KK look like bronze olympian gods in comparison when it comes to development.

And I FUCKING LOVE your ability to tell me WHEN I AM LOGGED IN. Sure you can try an assumption based on my forum post time here but no assumption is safe. I was playing early this morning after trying it last night. Good job telling me when I am playing a game and when I am not.

FoM is aimed at ROLEPLAYERS.

But, I fear it is going to be overrun with people like yourself, who expect no penalty for anything they do in-game. For this reason, I fear its going to fall on its face.

Spermy
03-02-05, 12:56
Woke up - Hinmdsight time.

Still not amused by,

The font.
The complete lack of control - it just gives CS kiddies teh chance to really fuck the game up, moreso than in NC.
The economy - although possible GM intervention has been mentioned.
THE VOICE TAUNT SYSTEM BLOWS!

I had to turn my game sounds of because of isiots spamming "loser" and "Nerd" at each other. Funny that, losers and nerds the lot of em =/

Grrr.

On the other hand - it does have potential.

I learned how to hack last night - Fucking awesome method, but very hard to get down, and bring paper! anyhow - hacked into the control room. Fiddled with the security settings (it was owned by mercs, I'm FDC) changed door codes, locked a bunch of mercs in the mess hall. team assembled outside, opened all LVL 1 doors, in came my team and butchered the mercs.

Keep working on aspects like that and I will LOVE this game.

PM Me if you wanna learn how to hack :p

MkVenner
03-02-05, 17:57
I however, are having a stabbing time :angel: god this game is really sick must have been 50 cops I helped to brutaly murder befor I went to jail. I like it so far theres plenty for me in this game to do cos I'm just a pking arsehole :p
im scared to think how many cops me and vendino killed b4 one of them got clse enough to arrest us lol people were telling people not to go to brooklyn coz DL (clan) were kiling everyone

spermy....FDC....why....how can you work for the man, man, the man!

Oath
03-02-05, 18:11
:rolleyes:

Gave it 1 more chance.

:rolleyes:

darkservent
04-02-05, 00:06
I have to say some of you who down this game big time are boring and impaitant. Yes yes....everyone has there own taste in games and if you dont like it then dont play it. Remember its Open Beta and I for one am very surprised by the stability of the game especially in Huge Wars. I been playin NC since its retail launch of NC1 and one thing that got me is not fixing the FREs or Lags. In FOMK nothin like that is there. The socket errors you lot go on about is not a FRE its when the server crashes and Ive only had 1 socket error in 12 hours of continuos play nonstop since they doubled the server capacity.

One of the games concerns is with the n00b friendlyness issue. Well I think that there will be training for n00bs later but atm its a stress test. There are guides and a IRC Server thats on standby to help.

As for economy well I think its like Eve online (not that Ive played it but only heard of its gameplay). The economy is constantly being tweaked and will improve. This game IS A HARDCORE RP CONCEPT if you cant play it - get lost simple as that. DPS has alot of rules to implement to enforce this and work is still ongoin. Many people are sayin Retail will be no different than Open Beta - I say bullshit.

Player Based Missions Great. One thing to bear in mind is that missions are being constantly made by the faction leaders. They in turn are monitored by Duplex which if found inactive they will be replaced. So there is no issues concerning the lack of missions.

The most funnest features of this game is got to be the NPCs. These NPCs are ingenious and look really intelligent. There basically chat bots which you can talk to normally. You can have conversations with em abt Sex, Marriage, or just other social matters. The scripts are constantly being expanded and have there possible future in dropping in secret NPCs which let you unlock new features.

The levels are amazingly huge and just great. Fighting is great too. The game has great potential and has a unique aspect.

You wonder why I now this well I have been in since Beta 3 and have also been speakin to the devs and GMs and so forth. Suprised to say they seem to have more Devs than KK have. Personally there support on a individual basis has been amazing even on the one to one as its prompt responses to problems over IRC. Dam i use IRC more than I use there ingame chat now.

Overall I think this game has achieved things that NC has still to get done like player made shops or clan wars or the highly rated Balance Of Power Engine that NC has promised since the beginning and even on the box cover. If you dont like it then do as you wish but I think FOMK is right on par with NC or maybe even more. Its concepts, its roleplay and even its actual story timeline is so much more realistic than any game Ive seen or played hence the ingenious Perma-death. Coupled with there unlimited resources from there publisher and JOLT game services this game has High potential.

jernau
04-02-05, 00:39
More patches, still won't even start.....

darkservent
04-02-05, 00:48
More patches, still won't even start.....

Just been some problems with the launcher if yo manage to get on IRC you can get and update on progress.

If you do my nick on the IRC is dark just PM me.

Oh and I was gonna add to my comment above but i forgot.

jernau
04-02-05, 00:59
I may well take you up on that over the weekend as I would really like to see it first-hand and give it a proper chance to prove itself one way or the other.

If it's any help the error I get is "Couldn't set D3D Emulation mode." and then Lithtech terminates itself.

I have an MSI 6800GT on an ASUS A8N mobo if that makes any difference. I have only tried it on one PC so far, I may try others tomorrow night.

Rabiator
04-02-05, 01:22
i still prefer NC...

So, what if you don't HAVE higher ranking players yet? Imagine a server full of noobs, and nobody being able to create missions.
How do you bootstrap the thing :confused:
IMHO you need a few NPCs that give out missions. Unless you want to get things started by GMs handing out missions.

Another thing is the economic viability of the smaller mining units. I'm currently trying to get started as a wholesaler:
Do a mining run on the big gear (lowest price per unit) and sell at the unit price of the medium unit. Advantage for buyer: he gets his stuff right away, instead of waiting for hours.
If this scheme works out, I'll reduce the small and medium mining units to unemployed decoration... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Strange
04-02-05, 01:25

But, I fear it is going to be overrun with people like yourself, who expect no penalty for anything they do in-game. For this reason, I fear its going to fall on its face.

I do not fear a penalty of some kind. In NC, with no LE a death means almost 50% si and a random lost item. It took me a while but I accepted it because it is a nominal risk.

Now in FoMK when it comes down to the game mechanics themselves preventing a user from playing from a decent chunk of real life time that they ARE PAYING FOR, well thats a whole new ballgame there. You won't start with the 50k creds like we are now in its open beta, I'm guessing maybe 5k or less. A clone is what 1000+? To be completely safe from many of the CS kiddies that people have mentioned, that ARE running around ganking anyone and everything, you'd need to waste almost all 5k of your starting cred on new clones. Lose your clones, no new character for 24 hours.

As said that is fucking ridiculous. It's like buying a new car but the first week you drive it, if you run out of gas you aren't allowed to fill the tank up for 24 hours. It's not good business pratice. I'm not saying it sucks cause of the idea or method, but from the fact that in that manner its done it WILL drive customers away and I'll bet ANYTHING if its that way or that harsh come retail their servers will be less populated than NC2's servers atm.

If it was die (all 3 times or however many clones you can afford) and wait say 24 hours in-game time, which could translate to maybe 15 minutes real world time (kinda like NC's) then that is doable.

You say its aimed at roleplayers? How long do you think its going to be before say a large group does roleplay but 5 minutes into doing whatever their doing a small group of teenage/pre-teen CS style players come in and just shoot any player that moves? It happens in ALL mmo's; the player type who doesnt give a shit about RP'ing and kills whatever he/she wants. Its heavily shown in NC (hence I play a ppu), and it'll be WORSE in FOMK since theres Perma Death, you'll have people hell even Clans made just for the sake of fucking up your day by killing all your clones (asuming they can track you down after each death). And the best part is from what I've read constant killing in FOMK is not griefing or aganist game rules.

You'll be thinking the same the first day you play and some 12 year old who thinks he's GOD because he wallhacks in CS:S decides to gank you then proceed to voice taunt spam for the time it takes your body to fade. And then do it again 3 more times if he can.

Nikabolokov
04-02-05, 01:48
Play the game for a few months before making such remarks.

I can tell just from that, you have no idea about the game.

Griefers will be welcome, but they'll take the consequences, the usual PvP kiddie wont want to wait around while he's in jail, wont want to walk around (if he does escape from jail) and be able to put back in immedately if hes caught.

Ascension
04-02-05, 01:50
yeah its hard to judge on hours of game play and also the fact its open beta. Although the best open beta ive seen was Lineage 2 ;)

darkservent
04-02-05, 03:11

I can tell just from that, you have no idea about the game.

Griefers will be welcome, but they'll take the consequences, the usual PvP kiddie wont want to wait around while he's in jail, wont want to walk around (if he does escape from jail) and be able to put back in immedately if hes caught.

The prision Idea is solely a Punishment for griefers. Atm in Open Beta someone has got like 20 million sumtin PP points. Now speakin to the devs its said that for him to pay his time would be like a RL month. Now I'm sure that would stop any griefing. As this is open beta ppl just do it anyway cause they can create a new game account. But when this hits retail I'm sure it will be stated in the tutorials yet to be made and any manuals with the game.

Another thing I'd like to add is the GFX of the game in specific the Char models. Yes there appauling but the Gameplay makes up for it. Besides any improvements to the models are not priority.

MkVenner
04-02-05, 03:48
my clan only killes FDC and LED skum, shank em in a dark alley and stela their gear :p

SorkZmok
04-02-05, 06:02

A game with that kind of pvp and those extreme penalties on death is NOT aimed at roleplayers. It might be, but in that case the guys making up that game never ever met people who play these kinda games. Complete failure.

MkVenner
04-02-05, 06:22
if you suffer perma death your a fucking moron, clone insurance cost like 2k a month....

Dr Strange
04-02-05, 07:03
if you suffer perma death your a fucking moron, clone insurance cost like 2k a month....

Here's a little situation for ya, that I experienced so far in my 2 days of trying FOMK:

Day 1 died one time to carelessness. Understandable since its a new game, and most of us are newbies.

Day 2 I put most of my time in on this day. At the time I had no knowledge of "limited lives" was in this rpg, and as such I ran around for several hours with just 2 clones and no insurance. I quit for lunch come back and warp back to Berlin. Before I finish spawning in I am dead to like 5 guys camping the vortex beam. 1 life left, from the Cloning Facility I vortex to one of the more remote areas of Tokyo. Make my way to a Medi station and purchase another 2 clones and insurance. Literally 5 seconds after words I died again to 2 guys sneaking behind me.

Now since some of us have a hard time finding guns, and some don't, I had no defense. Not even a knife.

Now, imagine all that was retail. How much starting cash do you think they'll give you? 50k? I'd say less than 5k, probably 1 or 2. Thus forcing you to do a few missions to gain some cash which I understand. Point being starting out you might not have the money or means to either A, buy more clones and insurance or B, the ability to GET TO a Medi Station to purchase said items.

And one last point (this goes out to those who chaulk this game up to roleplayers) the last time I logged into play (by last I mean final), I vortexed into Berlin from my appt as usual, I counted at least 23+ people (not cops or guards) campiing the vortex beam with high powered rifles killing EVERYONE that vortexed in.

For that much hassle and grief, I'll continue to give my money to KK at least they got their shit somewhat together compared to FC.

MkVenner
04-02-05, 07:15
a) starting money has been stated on IRC as 50k for clans, 50k for FDC and LED and 100k for companies.

b) Berlin was being held down by BoS and Mercs, and one who was enemy to them was shot, i was there, we didnt shoot mercs, BoS or our allies/nuets (unless the was a conflict), as i understand it there were warnings going out on more faction chats

c) tip, you dont need to buy more clones once the insurance is on, it auto supplies you with them

Siygess
04-02-05, 12:35
I really don't think the average gamer is mature enough to play FoM in the way that it was intended. The implementation of the justice / penalty system is quite.. adventurous.. when you consider that it is enforced by players. As for all you FoM haters out there, I think you need to dunk your head in a bucket of cold water and look at the truth - it has the potential to be a very good game, but it isn't as similar to Neocron as many of you would like. For that reason, I don't think it is any more a threat to NC as any other new MMORPG, stealing as it will a few % of the players. Here, as if you cared, is my full comparison of the two games:

Indoor Engine:

NC: BSP-based. With the higher-res textures (particularly in DoY) it can look quite nice. There aren't many nice engine features and the polycount is quite poor - at least in the older zones. Spawnable objects always look out of place (fences, doorbells and the like), but this is usually because of the difference in texture quality. Character and NPC / mob detail is ok.. character and npc models are average to good, with good textures on the character models. Excellent variation in the mobs, though the textures are looking dated.

FoM: Uses a version of the Lithtech engine. Good rendering capability with consistent, hi-res textures. Yes, they may have gone a bit overboard with the env maps, but who cares.. it's just eye-candy. Poly count looks to be the same as NC, but it seems to be used better. Character models are great, with good high-res textures but the animation smells faintly of wee. Haven't encountered many NPC's and mobs, though there are aliens - haven't seen them yet so I can't comment.

Winner: FoM

Outside Engine:

NC: You can tell the maps are height-map generated, and the lack of sheer drops / edges leaves it feeling a little bit like you are playing the original Delta Force. View distance could be better, but with the vegetation detail switched on (which STILL kills my FPS) it looks quite pretty.

FoM: Doesn't have one at all - can't compare.

Winner: NC by default

Character Creation:

NC: Because of the (really) quite different game system, the character generation process is quite detailed when it comes down to numbers. Avatar customisation is okay-ish.. it allows for considerably more combinations than, say, World of Warcraft or Guild Wars but once character generation is complete, you can't do anything to "add" to your character, visually. Even if the old Rokkwear terminals were working, you still can't customise beyond the starting options.

FoM: Pretty basic, but again that's down to the system. Quite a few choices per faction when customising your character, but as far as I know there is no way to change it after creation. Some items are visible on the character (like helmets and implants) so there is a little flexibility here.

Winner: Draw. You can't compare the process easily because the game system is so different. On avatar customisation, they are about the same.

Character Progression:

NC: The first really big difference between NC and FoM - NC is from the classic MMORPG (and RPG) mould, and that means levels, stats and skills. For those who like to achieve something quantifiable, this is a very good thing and the tweaking of skills and stats to squeeze that extra bit of functionality of performance out of a character is something many people love. Of course, progression of this kind is finite, so capping brings you to a dead end.

FoM: There is no progression beyond the ability to move up (and down) in the faction leadership structure, which is closely linked with the mission distribution system. There is more pressure on the player, however, to "keep" their progress. Not playing means loosing out, and possibly getting demoted. This lets the player concentrate on the RP and the PvP, without worrying about "levels".. a bit like Planetside, but this isn't for everyone.

Winner: NC - but to be fair, it depends on which you prefer - freeform gameplay (FoM) or structured gameplay (NC). I say NC because of the greater depth.

PvM:

NC: Pretty good, though it does seem to suffer (as any MMORPG does) from balancing PvP and PvM within the game system. AI isn't all that great (or maybe it is, but perhaps the path-finding is terrible) but the variety of creatures makes mob slaying fun for a while. Some high-end mobs to fight, but risk / reward is questionable.

FoM: No fixed PvM, so nothing to compare. The FDC do get to hunt aliens, but I haven't encountered them yet.

Winner: NC for offering the "expected" PvM experience.. but FoM's bug hunting with the FDC might be a fair match. Have to wait and see.

PvP:

NC: Neocron is marketed as a PvP game, and PvP it supplies. There is a drop system which, governed by soullight, might yield dropped items. The old faction system has been dropped in favour of a red vs blue style of pvp, but as the system isn't rigorously controlled, it doesn't work very well. Outposts are the main source of contention, and are the focus of the "best" PvP. Incidentally, NC actually uses a very cleverly disguised combat system that would not look out of place in, say, EQ. It *is* turn based (frequency on weapons determines length of turn) and it is skill based (fully minimised reticule does not guarantee a hit).

FoM: The PvP system is more fragmented thanks to the many factions, but is better controlled by the penalty point system. The effectiveness of the prisons remains to be seen, but adversarial combat is more realistic than NC; A Red Orchestra to Neocron’s UT Deathmatch. Again, there are installations to be fought over, but currently PvP revolves around "taking" cities.

Winner: Draw. One system promises a lot but often fails to deliver, and the other system is untested in light of the mentality of the average beta tester and could go either way.

Economy:

NC: Some people like player run economies, some don't. I don't, but NC is trying to hit the right combination - NPC vendors for low level items (though not all low level items are attainable), enough vendors to buy un-wanted items, and a promised player shop system that will allow the free trade of just about everything.

FoM: No vendors this time, and no loot to sell either, means the success of the economy is based upon the success of the tradeskill system. At the moment, players can buy from market terminals ala SWG, but with a wider scope (not just one city at a time). With time, sensible players will sell items at affordable prices and the morons who charge premiums for everything will simply run out of customers. This hasn't happened yet, though.

Winner: Draw. Both systems suffer from a problem common to player based economies - the people with the most items and the most money set the prices, and those prices are set to make them more money, not to distribute the items evenly. NC has the advantage of the NPC vendors, but this is offset by the current lack of player shops.

Tradeskills:

I'm actually not going to cover this. Tradeskills send me to sleep. I am familiar with NC's skills, but not FoM, so it isn't fair for me to compare them.

Items / Mounts / Pets:

NC: Again, a very different situation to FoM, and this is due to the vastly different style of play. NC is a collectors game. Not in a huge way because it seems to be against the design laws of NC to waste DB space on creating "almost the same but a bit different" items, but never the less, NC is as much about material possessions as it is about PvP. There are hundreds of weapons (indeed there are more "classes" of weapon than FoM has "actual" weapons) and a good selection of vehicles (again, more choice for mounts than any other MMORPG I can think of, although they aren't customisable in any way). No pets though, and having wee crabs in your apartment doesn't count, and neither do the naff soul clusters.

FoM: A good selection of weapons that seems happy to present only one or two weapons per class (pistol, energy pistol, smg etc). Not many collectable items because there is no loot system, but this seems to be to concentrate the players attention on the core game - RP and PvP. Loot and levelling tend to go hand in hand, after all. No vehicles at all (shame) and no pets either. Unless you count the minions below you in rank as pets..

Winner: NC. Just like the character progression, it depends on what you like doing during your time logged into a MMORPG, but I think most people will prefer NC's approach.

Dr Strange
04-02-05, 12:43
Speaking of hunting in FoM, other than Aliens FDC's can look for, are there ANY other mobs to hunt in the game?

Most of my time in it I spent just roaming the cities, looking for ANYTHING that wasn't a player or NPC to kill. AFAIK missions were the ONLY way to level. From what I gathered you made a new character, did missions to level, or production to build shit, sell shit, or gank other players. I saw no actual linear progression it was just a handful of things you could do, some that might let you gain levels, some that just had you shooting others.

Siygess
04-02-05, 12:49
Well that's just it - there are no "levels" or "xp", so there is no need for mobs to kill. Completing missions gives you money, and makes you more eligable for promotion, but thats it. The aliens are part of (some of) the FDC missions, but I haven't found any yet.

For better or for worse, this game is mostly freeform.

Nikabolokov
04-02-05, 13:31
Zork, A hell of a lot of people have moved over to FoM from other games than NC, the real Role Playing games, like AO, EvE etc.

darkservent
04-02-05, 16:35
Zork, A hell of a lot of people have moved over to FoM from other games than NC, the real Role Playing games, like AO, EvE etc.

This game pretty much seems to target players of Eve, AO, SWG, Planetside more than NC. For me NC is far to easy now. I've done everytin possible and the case of tryin to get the best rares just got boring for me. The hunting got tedious and tiresome too just for the sake of getting rareparts.

That said I have not left NC, I just have not been able to afford it anymore. I probably will comeback soon but depends on how much will improve by then. If I still see the same problems that have been present since NC1 then most probably move on for good.

Personally I dont think most of the community in NC has the patience or the ability to adapt to a new game type with completly different rules (not meaning it in a bad way to you all as even my bro has a problem with FOMs concept).

Oh and on the final note FOM is not a carebear game as its concepts are far more on the realistic level, something I missed from the start of NC1.

msdong
04-02-05, 19:12
atm i see it this way. Fom completed the steps that NC ppl where afraid of.

NC and fom have it factions. nc have a basic reputation system build in and all the basic missions base on that points. THATS ALL

Fom Takes that step. they simply "make more faction points" so you dont get all in one day.

in NC you are able to vote for a faction council. but once you are there there is nothing for you to do but talkin to leaders of clans that contain unfriendly players.

in fom you advance in a chain of ppl if you are good you get good rankings by your leaders and once you are a leader you only can advance if you are "able to lead". ppl need to follow you to advance.

in NC there was a tab clan missions .... Fom Did them.

NC have a semi player based economy Fom make a complete one.
(€: the semi based econemy is better imo but it need to get spread over all items. all consted items/armour/weapons need to be better them shop stuff)

NC have all the different chems and items .... FoM have them too and even better, they use them.

darkservent
04-02-05, 20:37
NC have all the different chems and items .... FoM have them too and even better, they use them.

Yes thats right its like a chemical labratory where if You meddle with different combos You get something different.

I say look at there forums and look at the recent announcement made there.

MkVenner
04-02-05, 21:19
dude alot of those chems are drugs lol, like MDMA, thats extasy, and Tetrahydrocanibanol is weed lol (well almost), i was like wtf when i say them lol

Brammers
04-02-05, 21:21
Well a few NC players on the THN (http://www.techhaven.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1537) have looked at it, and judging by the response, it's been given a thumbs down.

Now unfortunatly in this world, first impressions count. With the limited time I had this week, I wasn't impressed. It's been said many times you can't judge a MMORPG in 15 minutes, so I wont pass final judgement on it yet.

I have heard the mission system is excellent, and I do intend to give it a good look over before throwing it out or welcoming it to my hard disc.

hinch
05-02-05, 05:00
its quite crap tbh

scenery looks shit hot engine is miles ahead of nc engine but thats where its bonus's end.

combats slow and laggy bullets dont always reg animations are as gay as nc's new cast anim.
its generally just not nice

Oath
05-02-05, 10:42
its quite crap tbh

scenery looks shit hot engine is miles ahead of nc engine but thats where its bonus's end.

combats slow and laggy bullets dont always reg animations are as gay as nc's new cast anim.
its generally just not nice

I always loved your honesty :p

jernau
05-02-05, 11:21
Although the best open beta ive seen was Lineage 2 ;)
Well it's easy to have a "good" beta test if the game has been retail for months before.;)

Personally I don't think the words "Lineage 2" and "good" have any place in the same sentence though.

[TgR]KILLER
05-02-05, 11:28
din't read every reply.. but on another forum and on a few more places i'v seen nothing but bad reviews of fomk.. gfx being crap on some points.. not knowing what to do. seeing nobody.. etc..

i played in closed beta even before nc2 open beta got out :p already made up my mind to give up on fomk back then. din't like it.

just saw brammers already mentioned the "other forum" being the THN :p

Jesterthegreat
05-02-05, 23:29
I do not fear a penalty of some kind. In NC, with no LE a death means almost 50% si and a random lost item. It took me a while but I accepted it because it is a nominal risk. lets be honest. death means next to notheing in NC.

Now in FoMK when it comes down to the game mechanics themselves preventing a user from playing from a decent chunk of real life time that they ARE PAYING FOR, well thats a whole new ballgame there. You won't start with the 50k creds like we are now in its open beta, I'm guessing maybe 5k or less. A clone is what 1000+? To be completely safe from many of the CS kiddies that people have mentioned, that ARE running around ganking anyone and everything, you'd need to waste almost all 5k of your starting cred on new clones. Lose your clones, no new character for 24 hours. when i die in NC i pay over 1k to get my backpack back...

As said that is fucking ridiculous. It's like buying a new car but the first week you drive it, if you run out of gas you aren't allowed to fill the tank up for 24 hours. It's not good business pratice. I'm not saying it sucks cause of the idea or method, but from the fact that in that manner its done it WILL drive customers away and I'll bet ANYTHING if its that way or that harsh come retail their servers will be less populated than NC2's servers atm. once again... theres a timer on makin chars in NC too...

If it was die (all 3 times or however many clones you can afford) and wait say 24 hours in-game time, which could translate to maybe 15 minutes real world time (kinda like NC's) then that is doable. you think its 15 mins in NC to remake? try it.

You say its aimed at roleplayers? How long do you think its going to be before say a large group does roleplay but 5 minutes into doing whatever their doing a small group of teenage/pre-teen CS style players come in and just shoot any player that moves? It happens in ALL mmo's; the player type who doesnt give a shit about RP'ing and kills whatever he/she wants. Its heavily shown in NC (hence I play a ppu), and it'll be WORSE in FOMK since theres Perma Death, you'll have people hell even Clans made just for the sake of fucking up your day by killing all your clones (asuming they can track you down after each death). And the best part is from what I've read constant killing in FOMK is not griefing or aganist game rules. damn right killing isnt greiefin, no matter how many times. you have the choice to defend yourself or go elsewhere in the game worlds. and CS kiddies will invade? nothing new. you said it hapopens all over. they can hardly ban people known to play CS...

You'll be thinking the same the first day you play and some 12 year old who thinks he's GOD because he wallhacks in CS:S decides to gank you then proceed to voice taunt spam for the time it takes your body to fade. And then do it again 3 more times if he can.

if you dont wanna die play pokemon.

jernau
05-02-05, 23:40
you think its 15 mins in NC to remake? try it.There's a HUGE difference - NC doesn't have permadeath.

To me permadeath is the biggest turn-off from the things I've heard about FoM. Most of the other criticisms (gfx, content, stability, balance, etc) can be fixed in time but terrible design decisions at such a fundamental level are hard to correct later. I want to see first-hand how it's dealt with as there do seem to be mechanisms to prevent/circumvent it but if that's the case I don't see what purpose it serves at all.

Jesterthegreat
05-02-05, 23:49
There's a HUGE difference - NC doesn't have permadeath.

To me permadeath is the biggest turn-off from the things I've heard about FoM. Most of the other criticisms (gfx, content, stability, balance, etc) can be fixed in time but terrible design decisions at such a fundamental level are hard to correct later. I want to see first-hand how it's dealt with as there do seem to be mechanisms to prevent/circumvent it but if that's the case I don't see what purpose it serves at all.

perma death is one of the reasons im playin it.

be more careful, make allies and if you cant defend yourself... bail when you see an enemy :p

i perma deathed myself to create anLED char on my closed beta account (as a closed beta account makes you a higher rank than a new one) and RP's a copper.

walked around brooklyn, grabbed a few cops and started patrolling.

found a "clan" player, surrounded him and used the "dont move" emote

told him to type ./arrestme (this surrenders and allows an LED to check your record).

the players that accepted that i used the search/ arrest button and arrested the guilties and let the innocents go.

of course some people bailed, but i made sure my patrol was equipped with non-lethal rubber bullets... we incapasitated the run away as soon as he entered an open area and busted him :D

hella fun :p