PDA

View Full Version : flashing bio's

THE_TICK!!!!
31-01-05, 23:04
ok computer guru's this is a tricky process...so explain to me how to do this..i got an asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo..and i need to update the bios..cause they fixed some major...kinks with it...and ive never done it been afraid to..so i need a PROFESSIONAL..hehe help me out folks.

retr0n
31-01-05, 23:24
1) Get a working floppydisk that you can format

2) Make the floppy bootable in whatever way you can

3) Go to ASUS website and find your model

4) Look up the BIOS upgrades

5) Dowload the latest BIOS (http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe&Type=Latest) and a flash utility (couldnt find it on the ASUS homepage, but if you look around some i'm sure you'll find it).

6) Copy the flash utility and the biofile to the floppy

7) For ease, rename the flash utility to flash.exe and the BIOS file to newbios.bin

8) Reboot you PC (with floppydisk in the drive)

9) Once in DOS mode, type "flash.exe newbios.bin" (without the "")

10) Wait, once complete, take out the floppydisk and reboot again, done.

OR

I'm not sure if ASUS supports flashing from windows mode, if they do, they
probably have a utility for that, so download that one, and simply load up
the BIOS file and flash it.

Note: Flashing is always a risk. It's basicly 99% sure that it will work, but
make sure you download the correct BIOS, for your model etc... Look and
read all you can, there are often several models of the same mobo aswell,
for example "A7N8X Deluxe" or "A7N8X-E Deluxe" etc... Make sure you get
the correct bios and you should be just fine.

Note2: The link above is to a BIOS download page for "A7N8X-E Deluxe",
not sure if that's the one you have or simply "A7N8X-E". Just look around
for you mobo in their products section.

Hope it helps.

THE_TICK!!!!
01-02-05, 11:06
thank you very much..when you reboot with disk in floppy drive...do you go into settings and have it boot off floppy first ?

Bugs Gunny
01-02-05, 11:13
Yes, boot from A:

Then make sure there's no storm outside that can cause a powerout during your bios flash....

Don't even ask me how i know this :-)

cMz
01-02-05, 13:47
ASUS should have a windows flash utility.
Look on the CD that comes with the motherboard. My new motherboard has several ways to update BIOS on the CD, including a tool for Windows.

Original monk
01-02-05, 13:48
Yes, boot from A:

Then make sure there's no storm outside that can cause a powerout during your bios flash....

Don't even ask me how i know this :-)

how ya know this ? :D

Bugs Gunny
01-02-05, 13:54
The story begins a few days before i bought a new motherboard :-)

It was on a dark and stormy night.
Dr Gunyy was in his laboratory, fidling around with some supersecret unethical bios flashdisks. It involved unlocking certain hidden features and also some soldering work on the motherboard. When all preparations were maed, he injected the green glowing floppy into the a drive, and told Igor to flip the switch.

The beast came alive with red glowing leds, and made some dee howling noise as the fans started to rotate and one could feel the heat of life from withing.

The beast was given a new brain... and as information was being displayed on the screen that the download was 80% complete.

LIGHTNING STRUCK !!!

Power went out and the beast fell back into it's lifeless state. Never to wake up again, as the brain had been permanently destroyed.

(actualy i had a shortcircuit due to rain getting into a powersocket that was mointed in the garden)