PDA

View Full Version : Whats better for a hit and hide char: p-c or r-c?

Zeres
31-01-05, 13:53
Advantages/disadvantages? PvP only!

Got no clue about spies. Only spies I played so far are my tradeskillers.

Dribble Joy
31-01-05, 15:03
Do you mean hit and run?

Rifles are probably better, pistols may have more range than they should do, but their recticle lock speed at range is shite.
Be a sniper.

SorkZmok
31-01-05, 15:31
Sniper can play without drugs, pistol spy needs em. Thats the biggest difference.

Zeres
31-01-05, 15:56
Hit and hide, hit and run, whatever.

Plan was to surprise enemies who dont expect to get attacked, no matter if they are in a group or alone. As I said I got no clue how to play a spy, but it seems to be fun. :-)

I think I will go r-c then, as I dont like to take drugs. They usually run out the moment I dont need a drugflash. ;)

Any suggestions how to skill a good r-c spy? Is there any chance I dont use drugs but wear inqui armor? Whats the best rifle for a r-c spy to use and what tl is it?

Thanks for your answers!

Xylaz
31-01-05, 17:18
erm, rifle spy DO need drugs :p just another set of them.
Of course, you can play a non druggie rifle sniper (which is kinda impossible with pistols as they need to be drugged most of the time), but it is uneffective to say at least.
Basically due to some problems which are related with game mechanics, you wont be able to snipe people and stay in a 'safe' distance because 90% of the time people will snipe back (with rifles, pistols, hc weapons, spells).
Another thing is, due to game limitation, you wont be able to snipe and kill people, the most effective tactic is to snipe them down to 1/3 health then engage and kill in close combat, for which every spy will need speed boost and shelter - this is where the drugs come in.

Non druggie spy is effective only as a support, in cooperation with other players, i just like to accent that.
From my experience i know that most people are thinking of sniper spies as a perfect solo class, for assasinations and stuff like that. Its only partially true, because of the abovementioned reasons, and what's more important, pistol spies are easer for those tasks.

just be warned ;) its hard job and can befrustrating at times.

[edit] to answer the question: there is a decent rifle sniper setup in this section of the forum, made by Tostino. Its called 2 drugged rifle spy setup, but it *can* be used without drugs for the common tasks, drugs are kinda optional :lol:

Zeres
31-01-05, 17:57
hmmmm, sounds like i have to use drugs to be effective. :-/

Really strange thing is that most people say I should go rifles, but most spies I see use pistols.

Advantage of rifles would be that I can use a high-tech in safe slot and a ts-assault rifle (which never drops) in another slot just in case i meet someone who is vulnerable to force. *g*

Are there rifles that have the same frequency as slasher? Seems to be very effective in PvP. Or does the healing light do much more damge so odds are even between slasher an hl?

uzsjgb
31-01-05, 18:01
Hit and hide, hit and run, whatever.

Plan was to surprise enemies who dont expect to get attacked, no matter if they are in a group or alone. As I said I got no clue how to play a spy, but it seems to be fun. :-)

I personally think the pistol spy is ideal for the quick hit and run job. Sneak around looking for enemies, pop in your speed drugs and then stealth. Unstealth right in front of the enemy (or in the middle of a group) and freak them out with your frequency-capped Slasher. Stealth again and watch everyone scurry around looking for cover (or you). Much better fun than shooting at someone a mile away.

Xylaz
31-01-05, 18:14
in general, rifles are stronger than pistols, but have lower rate of fire - which means if u can hit everytime, you will have better dmg output than pistols, but if u miss, pistol will overcome you. That's why i said pistols are easier.

Though high end pistols are kinda overpowered atm, so there is no real weapon who make more dmg then slasher/exec.

as counterweight, HL is bugged, which means there are certain bugs u can use for your advantage - one of them is that over certain distance there is no shoot animation for HL, only sniper can see it but no one else. There is no red splash or sound on the victim screen, just hp bar dropping down - so its a good sniper weapon as u can take most people by surprise.
Another thing/bug is stack dmg (several shots/hits lag and stack into one big pile of dmg), which is related with game mechanics and all long range multi-hit weapons have this kind of bug (plasma waves, laser cannons, burst type of energy pistols, energy rifles, high rof apu spells) - this one means that when using the HL (and the abovementioned bug) you got a chance to kill a person before he realise he's beeing shot at.
Dmg and rof is actually ok, its just the bugs which makes it kinda overpowered and that is why most spies are using this weapon.

Another reason is that other high end rifles are nerfed to hell and back: disruptor which was in the past equal to slasher in power has now rof of 160 or something like that, which means he's completely and utterly useless. First Love is still powerful (though mostly due to some kind of bug with jumping dmg - if u manage to hit 2 or 3 bursts one after another you can kill everyone as dmg stacks and multiplies or whatever, there is something wierd with it.) but aiming is horrible, even with laserpointer you have to be really really skilled to use it effectively.
Silent Hunter is a basic sniper weapon, very powerful but limited as well (very low rof and clip size), its ok in terms of balance and quite a decent weapon, but HL is simply better and more effective as a sniping weapon (due to bugs mostly though)

SorkZmok
01-02-05, 02:33
Dmg and rof is actually ok, its just the bugs which makes it kinda overpowered and that is why most spies are using this weapon.The dmg and rof is exactly the same as the TL 115 disruptor but with a hit rate of nearly 100% while the dissie misses about 1 out of 3 shots. That rifle is far from balance. Laser rifles should have great aiming but do lower damage than other rifles.

On the rest, i completely agree here.

Xylaz
01-02-05, 03:24
The dmg and rof is exactly the same as the TL 115 disruptor but with a hit rate of nearly 100% while the dissie misses about 1 out of 3 shots. That rifle is far from balance. Laser rifles should have great aiming but do lower damage than other rifles.

On the rest, i completely agree here.

well not exactly the same, is a little higher than HL, but very little. But this 'dmg nerf' came directly from the rof nerf disruptor got (from 220 to 160)

so - in my opinion - its not hl which needs to be nerfed (aside from the bugs) but disruptor which needs to be boosted

Osirix
01-02-05, 10:56
Sniper can play without drugs, pistol spy needs em. Thats the biggest difference.

i think you have never seen a drugt up first love spy O_o

SorkZmok
01-02-05, 15:11
well not exactly the same, is a little higher than HL, but very little. But this 'dmg nerf' came directly from the rof nerf disruptor got (from 220 to 160)

so - in my opinion - its not hl which needs to be nerfed (aside from the bugs) but disruptor which needs to be boosted
Then the disruptor would be overpowered.
And they do exactly the same damage, at least they did when i tried a week ago.

i think you have never seen a drugt up first love spy O_oI had one of the first (if not even the first) rifle combat spies on uranus. And i got a capped pistol combat spy aswell. So thanks for that smart comment. o_O
I simply said that a sniper doesnt have to be drugged up all the time, he can snipe and stealth and only needs to drug when he wants to engage in close combat aswell.

Thank you.