PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Provider

Jesterthegreat
28-01-05, 20:32
ok people... im still running my now overpriced £27.99 a month ex-freeserve connection...

i want something fast n cheap... oh and no cable in this area. any suggestions?

Spermy
28-01-05, 20:40
ok people... im still running my now overpriced £27.99 a month ex-freeserve connection...

Hamster, wheel, telephone.

Obsidian X
28-01-05, 20:43

Are you still running the now-unavailable unlimited 512K package that Freeserve used to do? Afaik, Wanadoo now offer 3 1MB packages, based on download limits (2GB, 15GB and 30GB respectively), depending on what you use your connection for. Think they start at £18 or £19. Also last time I checked, they don't yet have any way of tracking usage (like item tracking ;) ), meaning you can download the same amount on the 2GB package, though I'm not 100% if thats still the case.

Jesterthegreat
28-01-05, 20:46
Are you still running the now-unavailable unlimited 512K package that Freeserve used to do? Afaik, Wanadoo now offer 3 1MB packages, based on download limits (2GB, 15GB and 30GB respectively), depending on what you use your connection for. Think they start at £18 or £19. Also last time I checked, they don't yet have any way of tracking usage (like item tracking ;) ), meaning you can download the same amount on the 2GB package, though I'm not 100% if thats still the case.

tbh i dunno...

was a half price over last xmas deal :p

and those limits are monthly right? i have no idea how much data NC sends if i play it alot... but add onto that DLing large files and it rules out the lowest one instantly :p

and this 1MB is available on a normal landline? (i havent looked at this shit for ages :p)

Dribble Joy
28-01-05, 20:48
Try blueyonder or pipex.

Neither have DL limits (afaik). Can you can get higher BW services.
BY do 4 mb adsl afaik.

Obsidian X
28-01-05, 20:51
tbh i dunno...

was a half price over last xmas deal :p

and those limits are monthly right? i have no idea how much data NC sends if i play it alot... but add onto that DLing large files and it rules out the lowest one instantly :p

and this 1MB is available on a normal landline? (i havent looked at this shit for ages :p)

Yeah those are your monthly limits, the NC client sends suprisngly insignificant amounts of data compared to downloading stuff, but your average broadband user prolly downloads more than 2GB a month so the middle option might be the better option.

The 1MB is standard and available on most landlines. I'm currently using it, and round our area we have no cable or anything either, just plain old copper wire.

Genty
28-01-05, 20:59
for cheap and quite fast take a look at Plus.net, having said that, might not be cheap if you use it a lot.

Lexxuk
28-01-05, 22:01
Force 9 (http://portal.f9.net.uk/my/mydiscount_info/landing_page.html?WRKUh%2Fz%2FuZ5dXmEjImm%2BIMWui9plRoKU0q2VIWc3ArE%3D), I use them, 1MB for £29.99 per month, uncapped, CGI/MySQL/PHP, and if you want to download small (sub 50mb) files from a slow site, telnet into your cgi space and use WGET to download at over 1mb/sec and then download from there ;)
Also have built in anti-spam and anti-virus for your email, FREE!
They will also transfer you from Freeserve for FREE (important that, some charge :p)

nobby
29-01-05, 00:47
AOL IS THE WAY!!!

512K=27.99/month
1MB=30.00/month
2MB=35.00/month!!!! <-------this is trial period! get it while you can before it changes (get it now and keep the price!)

Tratos
29-01-05, 01:52
AOL IS THE WAY!!!

512K=27.99/month
1MB=30.00/month
2MB=35.00/month!!!! <-------this is trial period! get it while you can before it changes (get it now and keep the price!)
Nobby now i know people were crushed for the whole not aiming lots of flames at you, but youve dropped yourself in it there :p :lol:

Im also on the crappy Wanadoo thing so this thread is pretty interesting i was looking at www.supanet.com for cheap netness but have heard bad bad bad things about them.

Spoon
29-01-05, 01:57
figures...AOL is even cheaper than my ISP.....

Mr Kot
29-01-05, 03:46
I pay £15.99/month for 150kbps @ Tiscali. They sent me a letter this month telling me they're going to upgrade me to 256k at the end of the month at no extra cost ;)

Ill have to get back to you on what the 512k costs with them.

Tesco has a good broadband deal too. £19.97 / month for 512k

Jesterthegreat
29-01-05, 09:58
AOL IS THE WAY!!!

512K=27.99/month
1MB=30.00/month

O_o

AOL should come with a "So you've ruinnedyour life" book...

AOL has never, and will never be installed on anycomputer in my household :p

giga191
29-01-05, 14:18
AOL makes me laugh. You have to dial up to connect :lol:

Spermy
29-01-05, 14:30
What he said....

AOL IS THE WAY!!!

512K=27.99/month
1MB=30.00/month

What he meant to say...

I'm full of shit!

AOL shall never darken my desktop.

EVER.

Jesterthegreat
29-01-05, 14:31
AOL shall never darken my desktop.

EVER.

ditto :p

Ston3dFish
29-01-05, 14:33
i use 8mb broadband connection from neuf telecom ( france, dunno if it's avaible elsewhere) and i pay 15 euros per month.

Ascension
29-01-05, 15:47
i use 8mb broadband connection from neuf telecom ( france, dunno if it's avaible elsewhere) and i pay 15 euros per month.
well you see, British Telcom could let people get 8mb, but the way they are working it is - release line upgrades every year so they can get more money..

E.G 1 mb has been around a while, just recently you can now aqquire 2 mb! give it another 6th months and then we will be able to get 3 mb and so on!

Obsidian X
30-01-05, 21:28
well you see, British Telcom could let people get 8mb, but the way they are working it is - release line upgrades every year so they can get more money..

E.G 1 mb has been around a while, just recently you can now aqquire 2 mb! give it another 6th months and then we will be able to get 3 mb and so on!

Yeah if BT had it their way, the only way you'd be able to get anything above 56K would be with their broadband service!

Thank you, monopoly comission. :p

Ascension
30-01-05, 21:29
Yeah if BT had it their way, the only way you'd be able to get anything above 56K would be with their broadband service!

Thank you, monopoly comission. :p
yup, its kinda pathetic really.. just look @ europe on 8-10 mb lines for the same price as 1-2mb over here :mad: :rolleyes:

Xeno LARD
31-01-05, 00:32
Now that I am employed, I'll be upping my 512 to 4MB ADSL. Bulldog looks like they're getting my money at the moment.

AOL is shit, all the traffic gets sent through, basically a proxy so that they can monitor you and sell the stats (Hence your shit pings).

BT suck cock, 1GB/Month? Please, I use that in a day.

Tostino
31-01-05, 01:17
Lol I used 5 times that today :lol:.

Ascension
31-01-05, 03:13
Now that I am employed, I'll be upping my 512 to 4MB ADSL. Bulldog looks like they're getting my money at the moment.

AOL is shit, all the traffic gets sent through, basically a proxy so that they can monitor you and sell the stats (Hence your shit pings).

I use AOL and my pings never shit.. ;)

Ninjano2002uk
31-01-05, 05:27
3MB line here , how happy i am :) altho got nothin to download on2 my 255GB its still good to hav... :lol:

jernau
31-01-05, 12:54
yup, its kinda pathetic really.. just look @ europe on 8-10 mb lines for the same price as 1-2mb over here :mad: :rolleyes:Partly true. As much as BT suck in customer service their infrastructure puts most of the world to shame (bar Japan and Scandinavia). Everything is there to offer better services at competitive prices but it usually takes a 3rd party company (eg Bulldog) to do the LLU and thereby cut out BT's interference. Most of the rest of Europe (and the US) have extremely patchy infrastructure making provision of quality services almost impossible.

Recommendations :
If you want max DL capacity and can get it go for Bulldog 4Mb
If you want cheap (and still reliable) go for Pipex (they are doing 2 months free atm)
If you want a good general provider go for Nildram. They are a bit more than Bulldog at first glance but have less up-front charges so can work out cheaper (they did for me).

I just got 2Mb from Nildram and they were pretty good at getting it sorted (gimpish sales drones excluded of course). There was no setup charge as I was transfering from another ISP and no down-time.

/edit - AOL and it's entire virus-ridden spam-generating shit-hole ghetto network should be fired into the sun IMO.

nobby
01-02-05, 15:13

While Using 2MB AOL...
I found that on CS-S, my mate had a ping of 22, i had a ping of 18...
he's got 2MB with Freeserve!

Spermy
01-02-05, 16:13
While Using 2MB AOL...
I found that on CS-S, my mate had a ping of 22, i had a ping of 18...
he's got 2MB with Freeserve!

Does it really matter at such low values who has less? Not too much. Oh, he's also lame.

Freeserve... Bluergh. Is there something in the water down there that affects peoples decision making abilities or something?

LOST
01-02-05, 18:51
freeserve and aol - what a pair :lol: .

got 2mb BY cable..not as cheap as i thought it was and pretty average download speeds..but admitidly there is no download managing prog.

kinda wish bulldog was available near me :( . looks pretty good package.