PDA

View Full Version : KK, regarding new and old textures

triXter
27-01-05, 17:34
Watching the new vehicle gets you both excited and sad at the same time. On one hand it looks awesome and you can't wait to drive it. On the other hand you know it doesn't fit in well with the current ambiental textures...

I know this issues has been raised before but as far as I know the discussion didn't really catch on...

Have you considered a complete remake of all textures (NPCs, walls, ground, trees etc) to match the new characters and items that NC2 has brought so far? Of course, it is a large job, but if all the textures were updated to match the chars and that last vehicle for example, it would be such a great thing that I can't even begin comprehending it. It would really give the game an adrenaline injection.

Is it even considerable from your point of view or have you concluded that it's simply too much work?

I know there are some major bugs and features that needs to be fixed, of course. I know that appearance isn't all, but gamers today are more demanding (understandable). The updated textures that came with NC2 were a good step, but I think many (together with myself) were somewhat disappointed not to see more textures updated. It makes me sad to hear comments like "It looks like back in 2001/2002". Updated skies and character textures in all honour, but ambiental textures are very important. Ambiental textures of low quality degrades the overall impression by a fair amount.

Thanks for reading.

Dribble Joy
27-01-05, 17:40
Retexturing isn't that much problem as the art stuff runs parallel to the coding work. So it won't 'get in the way'.

Redoing all the old texures however is a big task, art can take some serious time, especially with the high res textures that are expected now.
It also depends on what they have in the pipeline, they could have a number of things they have to do first.

Though I agree, either a reskin of old models, like mobs and/or new mobs, trees and at least a reskin if not a remodeling of the vehicles is needed.
same ges for large parts of the game world. MB sec2 has new higher res textures, while the rest is still the old stuff.

triXter
27-01-05, 17:45
And also, with textures I /incorrectly/ bunch together stuff like polygons, lightning etc. Not necessarily a updated texture image. Texture images can often be very rudimentary if polygons do their work as well :)

Selendor
27-01-05, 18:21
How about they go back to the Neocron 1 textures, which, even though the opposite was stated, actually look cleaner and better. Clear example being Plaza.

SypH
27-01-05, 18:27
Old style Tech Haven looked better too in my opinion. It went from clean, sterile sci fi looking labs to a dingy hole.

Dribble Joy
27-01-05, 18:49
Bleh, NC was far far too clean in NC1, I like the slightly grimmer feel to plaza now.

Tostino
27-01-05, 19:19
I would say yes to a texture update later on when they are dont fixing the more important shit.

Spermy
27-01-05, 19:46
Or...

Community can... I mean were talen...

wait.

I see a horse. 'tis dead....

OOOH!

A stick!

oh. =/

*Makes with the floggy*

Sir ramic hobbs
30-01-05, 23:14
You seem to like everything KK do DJ
Strange that

Seven
31-01-05, 00:07
Strange that

It's MJS's alt forum account. :p :p

Tostino
31-01-05, 00:20
It's MJS's alt forum account. :p :p
If that were true there would be no para :lol:

Dribble Joy
31-01-05, 00:49
Strange that
KK have not removed para.
KK have not done anything (good) about PPUs.

..... and KK removed Kamis.

spongeb0b
31-01-05, 00:56
KK have not removed para.
KK have not done anything (good) about PPUs.

..... and KK removed Kamis.

I hear ya man I miss my kami :(

Jesterthegreat
31-01-05, 02:43
Strange that

how dare someone like the new textures more than the old ones...

i do to... im such a fanboi eh nid? :rolleyes:

MkVenner
31-01-05, 04:49
i like the new textures...i just wish they'd finish them off...like traveling from P4 to Vio, or TH to outside TH...a jobs not worth doing if its not worth doing right...

spongeb0b
31-01-05, 10:31
i like the new textures...i just wish they'd finish them off...like traveling from P4 to Vio, or TH to outside TH...a jobs not worth doing if its not worth doing right...

i'm sure kk will get round to them it is a massive task tho especially when there is so much more to do aswell as retexturing