PDA

View Full Version : Running NC on x64

retr0n
26-01-05, 09:31
Anybody running NC on x64?
Is it stable? Any preformace loss/gain?

aquacoder
26-01-05, 10:26
I am running it on Athlon 64bit 3000+ with Windows XP. It's has the same problems as on all other systems : crashes, freezes and etc.

My configuration:
Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V Delux Mainboard
Saphire ATI 9800 Pro 128MB (DX7 Mode)
MDT 1 GB RAM
2x120GB Seagate S-ATA HDD
etc...

netster
26-01-05, 13:59
y00 penny! ZORO here, hehe! x64 Windows and a 3200+A64 here (1gb DDR400). i see about 5-6% perf gain, less holy_fatal and stuff. i quite crashed alot withi xp'sp2 (2-5 times/hour) and now i can go on without probs 8+hours (exept the memleak).
when i start cron fresh up, my mem shows up to xxx/~2150megs overall, the lowest i was ever xxx/~800megs after dunno 9-10 hours on loming and transfering stuff over my arrounts.

need more input? just ask ....

ZORO

netster
26-01-05, 14:03
uhm .... btw even under other games and xp'sp2 or XP'x64 the perf-gain of the 3200+A64 is unbelievble :) but still with the XP'x64 is about 5+% in other games or even more.

but i need to says, i'm still running my first install of xp'x64, so all my drivers are still beta/alpha level, but never crashed or sumthing, no problems at all.

retr0n
26-01-05, 14:08
Hey zoro :)
I just installed the x64 version, and I have to say, it's running alot smoother then
i thought it would. I only had one problem with the installation, and that was
the drivers. I was stupid enough not to download them before I installed, so I
couldnt get out on the internet to actually download them, did it on my gf's
computer and now i'm up & running.

Also got a 3000+ winchester, 1024 ddr400 and a 6600gt. I got some nice fps
for a change :)

The nForce and gfx drivers are still beta, but I have not had any problems yet.
They seem to be quite stable.

Jesterthegreat
26-01-05, 14:11
you guys with an AMD 64 runnin the Windows 64 beta? its free for a year and i was considering using it when i upgrade my PC

retr0n
26-01-05, 14:16
you guys with an AMD 64 runnin the Windows 64 beta? its free for a year and i was considering using it when i upgrade my PC

Yeah, download it straight from the M$ site though, all you gotta fill in is an
email and they send you the code & shit.

All the ones I found as .torrents or any other way have been corrupt or would
not install properly. Prolly some fucker putting in trojans or something.

netster
26-01-05, 14:22
Jester : i posted the link about ending of last year/ starting of this year in forums here, but i'm too bored to search it agian ..... but its free of M$. check win-news sites about the download-links, i got it myself from winfuture, buts a german site ....

penny : hehe, made same fault here, so i just picked my broadcom-nic driver on my usbstick, its even left there ;)

netster
26-01-05, 14:25
found it = link (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx)

Jesterthegreat
26-01-05, 14:29
heh i was actually postin to ask how stable it is compared to winxp pro

i heard its got pretty lousy driver support at the moment.

netster
26-01-05, 14:45
actually i never had problems with my box with any app/game at all ....
all running very smooth'n fine! .... <3 XP'x46 :)

(okay, i had a problem with my onboard-sound, i installed a driver dl'ed from web, but i didnt needed to, xp'x64 got a driver with it, but didnt loaded it from the xp-files, just typed in google with it and saw about 10 posts about it and how to resolve it ..... its kinda buggy/typo in the .inf afaik, so u can just say xp to use the allready included driver without any problems.

Jesterthegreat
26-01-05, 14:47
i almost finished off my PC last night... fortunatly i replaced the PSU with an old one i had and it worked fine... its really on its last legs though :p

got a couple of hundred put away for new bits n bobs for my PC, ill build a new one instead, keep the current for DLing / msn :p

payday this friday :D

netster
26-01-05, 14:54
ahhh jester, check this link (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/archive/index.php/f-97.html) , if u got sum questions or DM me, perhaps i can help.
btw... only software thats kinda buggy with xp'x64 seams to be my version of daemontools, but i think its kinda DLL/Linkage problem.

Clan UnforgiveN
26-01-05, 15:09
I get my new pc today, AMD Athlon 64 4000 so i'm probably gonna try x64. Cannot wait! But do you think it runs good for animation programs and shit?..

-- System --

retr0n
26-01-05, 15:21
Ok, so far i have had almost no problems at all.
The only 2 things that dont work for me are: Daemon Tools and MBM5.

Daemon Tools are comming out with a x64 version really soon, atleast it says
so on their website. But the current one doesnt work. Same with any other type
of cd/dvd emulation software.

MBM5 doesnt display the cpu/sys temp because of some I/O error. Might be
my mobo though.

Other then that, it's running perfectly fine.
I dont know how much of the OS is actually 64bit. It's just Windows XP with
64bit support, but I'm not sure how much of the system has actually been
ported to 64bit.

Windows Longhorn is a pure 64bit OS, but that one is not comming out for a
while. You could prolly get it from some torrent site but driver support must
be even worse on that one.

The only drivers I needed to download was nForce and GFX card. Nvidia had
both of them on their site though, so no probs there.

Mechanicus
26-01-05, 15:40
is it good enough to use as your primary operating system?

and could i install it without installing any other operating ststem first?

retr0n
26-01-05, 15:56
is it good enough to use as your primary operating system?

and could i install it without installing any other operating ststem first?

Yes, I'm using it as my primary.
And Yes, the CD is bootable.

Comie
26-01-05, 16:11
so the thing i want to know, is
how good is the Athlon 64's and how good is the OS? does it make vast improvements or is it minor ones that are just noticable

landofcake
26-01-05, 17:12
so the thing i want to know, is
how good is the Athlon 64's and how good is the OS? does it make vast improvements or is it minor ones that are just noticable

I imagine you'll begin to see the real "vast" improvements when the platform begins to mature and games/software start to support 64 bit. Also, i'd wait for the drivers to mature somewhat, although to be fair i haven't given it a go. To my knowledge though the only game/engine i've heard of so far that's had serious 64 bit work is the Unreal engine.

darkservent
26-01-05, 18:50
TBH Ill just stick to the Media Center edition till theres widespread of driver support for XP 64. Also all the common apps I use as well.

tiikeri
26-01-05, 19:34
No daemontools - no x64 for meh :/

Mechanicus
26-01-05, 19:49
oh one more thing will i be able to peer to peer network with windows xp and mac computers?

netster
26-01-05, 21:01
Daemontools = sry, but nothing worked for me still now, but i'll wait for fitting Dtools version.

MBM = i got MBM5.3.7.0 running without a prob, my mobo is even listed in it (Asus K8V)

Clan UnforgiveN
27-01-05, 20:40
Is there any other place to download it becuase the Microsoft site for it isnt working for some reason

retr0n
27-01-05, 20:57
Probably is, although i wouldnt recommend it, ppl tend to put shit in it like
virii & trojans etc...

----

About the cd emulation software: There is a 64bit version of WinImage, it can
handle .iso and .bin. Works like a charm.

Clan UnforgiveN
27-01-05, 21:01
Seems that there site is getting a lot of hits on it and it wont load most the time, but finally i got it downloading. Awwwww I want to have sex with my new pc :-p cannot wait to get it all up and running

Mechanicus
28-01-05, 17:09
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25.html

that driver will work with the MSI k8n neo4 mobo wont it? its nforce 4 ultra but i only see it saying it supports nforce 3 there

retr0n
28-01-05, 17:55
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25.html

that driver will work with the MSI k8n neo4 mobo wont it? its nforce 4 ultra but i only see it saying it supports nforce 3 there

I think what they mean is that it supports 32bit nForce3 aswell as the
64bit stuff.

Mechanicus
28-01-05, 18:15
sounds good

hegemon
29-01-05, 12:20
All this talk made me realize that I didn't have to use my crappy PIII for gaming, but I could actually use the Opteron that I didn't use for development anymore.

The x64 version of XP seems to work just fine, the performance of NC is good, but there is one problem. The machine only has 512MB memory and the base system eats more memory so I swap a lot.

The 64-bit drivers from ATI are broken, they hang the machine, but the built-in drivers in XP are good enough.

I'm very impressed by how well this works, considering that the machine has a pre-release Opteron with known bugs in the cpu, prototype Nforce 3 chipset that is known to do weird things under high I/O load and a bios that's dumber than dumb and messes up the configuration of the pci bus.

Jesterthegreat
29-01-05, 13:29
drivers from ATI are broken

whats new?

netster
29-01-05, 13:59
try http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Jesterthegreat
29-01-05, 14:03
the unmentionable mmo is distributing the open beta client to mirrors as we speak...

i know its off topic but theres not alot left to say on this topic :p

Seven
29-01-05, 17:48
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

I guess it will be even more dead around here next week. :(

Jesterthegreat
29-01-05, 17:53
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

I guess it will be even more dead around here next week. :(

heh... like its not now.

a year ago i would spend time on here atwork.

now i log on for an hour at lunch and theres been like 3 posts since i logged off the night before :p

hegemon
29-01-05, 18:18
try http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Did he start making a 64-bit versions of them? And since he bases the drivers on the original ATI drivers, I can't see how his version can be more stable.