PDA

View Full Version : Is the world of Neocron truly maturing now? Have things really turned a corner?

Heavyporker
24-01-05, 21:57
Just somehow got into this line of thought, and wanted to discuss it.

last night, for like the 7th time, someone asked me if I would hire them to run a store, and again I replied "maybe, but I gotta get everything organized first."

This morning, looking at some newspaper article about star wars or somecrap...

My store has taken a life completely on its own. Tradeskillers have started moving into it as a base of operations, for mutual benefit (everyone knows where my store is and my customers may need their skills after buying something from me, and that hearing tradeskillers are working in my store brings me extra customers too.) Others in my clan are opening up outlets in the MB and Via Rosso. I've had franchising offers to open outlets in TH, in the Canyon, in DoY! And as aforementioned, people want to WORK for my store! Take a full-time job.. INGAME... instead of missions or free-lancing... And there's my suppliers. I mean, are the economics in Neocron that well developed that people now have real choices, to create something and then choose between several options, rather than just sell it to Runner X or Yo's?

Not just that. More and more runners are getting deeply involved with Neocron, to the point of hosting events on their own.

I mean, in the middle of this blooming, is it really time to be pessimistic or paint whole populations with one brush ( RP is dead, no more population, all Neocronites are just ally-gankers, no one can do anything with/without LE in)?

I'd love to have a real discussion about this.

Genty
24-01-05, 22:20
I believe that although there is a good amount of people that a maturing, the gap between the top and bottom of the maturity league is widerning. As for the future, I don't think anyone knows, it depends on how things develop. I would like to think that Neocron will improve and the community will follow (both in pop and maturity) but will it really happen? Time will tell.

msdong
24-01-05, 22:38
the shop is new, its fun and its nothing else to do atm.
ppl looking all the time for major players to get a kick for trying something new.

giga191
24-01-05, 23:10
Well there are imature people in every game. Neocron just gives them the freedom to do stupid things. Unfurtunately, unlike RL, they don't face the consequences of doing those things.

Kozmos
24-01-05, 23:11
the shop is new, its fun and its nothing else to do atm.
ppl looking all the time for major players to get a kick for trying something new.
aye too many people need things handed to them on a plate even tho its a rpg at heart...

LiL T
24-01-05, 23:24
I hope your right heavy and I hope more of this type of stuff opens up

we need one in doy though =/

Dribble Joy
24-01-05, 23:26
Well there are imature people in every game. Neocron just gives them the freedom to do stupid things. Unfurtunately, unlike RL, they don't face the consequences of doing those things.
If I had a pound for every time in the last few months I have said something about cause and effect in NC I would have like.......

Enough for a whole weekend binge drinking session...

...with a cigar!

QuantumDelta
24-01-05, 23:28
Uranus has pretty much everything you describe there....
*shrugs*

It just all died when about 60% of the total community left.
And no skilled tradies or people interested in RP replaced them.

giga191
24-01-05, 23:37
If I had a pound for every time in the last few months I have said something about cause and effect in NC I would have like.......

...with a cigar! I'm sorry but the Government stopped paying people for saying that while back

msdong
24-01-05, 23:49
aye too many people need things handed to them on a plate ...

animate a few ppl isnt that bad. there are a lot out there waiting for their chance to have their 15 mins of fame. its not easy to build up a strong story if your dont have a strong background.

there are people out there living a good story, there are are a bunch off technicians out there having a cool full service but they are no major players and suffer from the usual clan conster,resser,xxx syndrom.

MkVenner
25-01-05, 00:04
yeah ive noticed a slight improvment in RP and stuff....but all the dickshites are still there....

Dribble Joy
25-01-05, 00:56
I'm sorry but the Government stopped paying people for saying that while back
Have no fear, I have my student loan.

Somewhat amusing that people are 'resorting' to RP because there isn't much else to do.

[TgR]HusK
25-01-05, 01:09
You just described the major part of the Fallen Angels back on server Pluto.:rolleyes:

anyway, on topic. I do not think the world of neocron is truly maturing, what has happend in what you desribed is senceble people taking the uperhand, keeping the majority of the less senceble under control.
Seems like maturing, but as in the real world, there are times for this and times for that, somewhere in the future things will be the other way around again.
Aslong as that happends, there can be no talk of maturity, but rather of a popular fashion. (the same applys to RL if you think about it, but change goes slower there, which also makes it more or less controlable instead of the anarchy inside neocron.)

As for the RP, see above effect. Might do cron some good overall though, more involvement with the actual game? I like that :)

My two carried away cents. :D

landofcake
25-01-05, 02:37

...with a cigar!

... in the dark ...

... WITH AN OWL !!!

Dribble Joy
25-01-05, 02:40
You logic defies my understanding, but so does that of women,

EAT CAKE!

Ascension
25-01-05, 03:26
You logic defies my understanding, but so does that of women,

EAT CAKE!
WHat kinda cake? I like cake, depends what sort.. :confused:

MkVenner
25-01-05, 03:56
my 3 day old beer soaked birthday cake is surprisingly tasty

Jesterthegreat
25-01-05, 04:52
i spoke to someone the other day who kept telling me giving an old item to a mate and hacking belts ruined the eceonomy and i mustn't do it...

I'd rather be immature than be that :D

Asurmen Spec Op
25-01-05, 06:03
Just somehow got into this line of thought, and wanted to discuss it.

last night, for like the 7th time, someone asked me if I would hire them to run a store, and again I replied "maybe, but I gotta get everything organized first."

This morning, looking at some newspaper article about star wars or somecrap...

My store has taken a life completely on its own. Tradeskillers have started moving into it as a base of operations, for mutual benefit (everyone knows where my store is and my customers may need their skills after buying something from me, and that hearing tradeskillers are working in my store brings me extra customers too.) Others in my clan are opening up outlets in the MB and Via Rosso. I've had franchising offers to open outlets in TH, in the Canyon, in DoY! And as aforementioned, people want to WORK for my store! Take a full-time job.. INGAME... instead of missions or free-lancing... And there's my suppliers. I mean, are the economics in Neocron that well developed that people now have real choices, to create something and then choose between several options, rather than just sell it to Runner X or Yo's?

Not just that. More and more runners are getting deeply involved with Neocron, to the point of hosting events on their own.

I mean, in the middle of this blooming, is it really time to be pessimistic or paint whole populations with one brush ( RP is dead, no more population, all Neocronites are just ally-gankers, no one can do anything with/without LE in)?

I'd love to have a real discussion about this. Well heavy, it is a really great store, me and my friends say if we get a cool item we dont need(in RL and I quote) "So we gonna sell this to heavy?"
I also frequently buy and sell stuff to your store.
My cst is usually near and Augmented death my poker/repper is usually there too, its really fun.
gotta go will finish post later

THE_TICK!!!!
25-01-05, 07:45
im lookin forward to coming ingame and checkin out your store heavy !! and ive had allot of free time on my hands and have a couple of ideas for events..so im double lookin forward to coming back :D

Masentaja
25-01-05, 09:56
Damn if you're so popular with yer shop, guess i gotta have a visit with my spy, but im doi boi :< But stealth 4tw

Bugs Gunny
25-01-05, 11:23
Since several offers for being the sole suplier of his rhinos were left unanswered....
It has led us to believe mr porker is working together with those dreaded FA, selling cheap knockoffs of NEXT equipment.

I hereby see myself pressed into a position where we must begin a tradewar in rhinos.

If no response is given, we will sell rhinos 20k below his lowest price.
I have already contacted a competing store.

Selendor
25-01-05, 11:41
For me Neocron was at its most 'mature' at the beginning of retail, when most people had some humility, and were only interested in levelling and sharing information. Some of its greatest players were around, and all was hopefull in the world. As soon as people reached cap it went downhill rapidly, boredom = acting like a tit, and acting like a tit only encourages it in others.

ArgieD
25-01-05, 14:01
Heavyporker, in my head, you did earn the first award for Entrepreneurial skills and dedication to the happiness of tradeskillers (at least the procity ones)

Though, regarding the maturity thingy, I'm afraid it's a bit of a gray area. As someone already mentioned it earlier in this thread, there are no consequences for peops' misbehaviour. Furthermore, as soon as you ask for SL system modification to enable tradeskillers carry out their peacefull operations, you get the usual idiots calling you a carebear, or they bully KK & mods against it (ie "you have more urgent things to deal with"). I hope that KK is taking a notice of the low server populations this ganking is causing..

Heavyporker, you keep it going and I will pay you a visit with any of my Tradeskillers to support your activities one way or another... If I like what I see I would oblidge to start sending peops your way... ;)

Bugs Gunny
25-01-05, 14:23
On a side note, you might want to start selling drugs under the counter too, as there is a need for it.

Riddle
25-01-05, 14:44
I have visited the porkers emporium and was greatly impressed with the speed of service and the sense of roleplay that i find sorely missing in game.

In fact as i left that comfy cubicle i was met with the all too familiar sound of gunfire.
Needless to say i left my belt there as a protest :rolleyes: ,hmm maybe i shoulda pulled out my Cst tool and hit that allied ganker with it :D

Luckily for me i did not drop my purchase :) but maybe the installation of a gogo at your place would be a good idea. People could then offload purchases before leaving.

Wait till this gets out, the more mature people will be hanging outside porkers farming belts!

[VP]Orion
25-01-05, 15:03
Heavyporker. I have no idea if this is the case. But if it is, then yay! Sounds really good! People should have the opportunity to choose how they wanna play the game.

MkVenner
25-01-05, 15:57
actually i think it is maturing a little....i was fighting a FF hybrid in PP while i was going to buy some buffs i lost, fighting for like 5 mins, neither really winning or loosing, and i fataled....log back in to find he'd left, and myself still alive...almost shit myself with surprise....

Bugs Gunny
25-01-05, 16:07
Well, most people in FF are realy nice people.
Except for one encounter, ive always been dmed with polite remarks etc....

(Even though they still have too many ppu's lol.)

Selendor
25-01-05, 16:37
Yes I have to agree, of all the 'dominant' clans of their time, at least from my Saturn background, FF are the most mature I've come up against. Smart enough indeed not to have taken the whole map even though it would be well within their means.

But thats what you get for having a clan led by an ex VNOX man :cool:

Heavyporker
25-01-05, 16:46
Bugs Gunny - only recall one offer and I was rather busy at the time, but I'll get back to you soon. And as to drugs.. er... kinda illegal and kinda uncomfortable for someone in my position. Anyways, I can attest that FA aren't supplying my rhinos.

Riddle - there is a gogo right in the front of my store's counter. Perhaps you shopped before I installed that. Also, I plan to invest in a citycom terminal for my customers, due to popular demand.

landofcake
25-01-05, 16:51
I think the shop is a great idea, however, i'm dubious as to whether the game is 'progressing' as such when viewing things such as this.

I remember back in the NC1 days, a bunch of us started some sort of band of nomads who only lived in the wastelands and only used store-bought weapons. I'm sure there are more examples of runner initiatives happening in the past rather than starting now, but i can't think of any ... :lol:

Selendor
25-01-05, 16:58
I seem to recall a group of players roleplaying field medics in Saturn's history, they used to go around healing, rezzing and giving out medpacks or something.

As for the Mercs, they have such great potential as roleplayers for hire but the game mechanics don't really encourage this.

And there were also some attempts to 'police' Neocron from a CA perspective, but very hard with zone fighting.

Hell-demon
25-01-05, 17:33
You don't have to be mature to roleplay :D

HA HA VAGINA!

:p

MkVenner
25-01-05, 17:44
wow http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/shocked.gif

:p

yeah i try to roleplay as a merc, but my sodding SL yoyos to hell and back lol

Riddle
25-01-05, 18:20
Riddle - there is a gogo right in the front of my store's counter. Perhaps you shopped before I installed that. Also, I plan to invest in a citycom terminal for my customers, due to popular demand.

Excellent! must have as i didn't see it ;)

Maloch Octavia
25-01-05, 18:49
I'm away fighting a war, not playing Neocron, no idea what's going on...

Shop?

Actual player-trading shop, or just trusting peeps to have access to a Clan apartment?

How does it work if it is a shot? can someone give me screenies of the interface? I'm a curious puppy when I'm not ducking gunfire.

Ministry
25-01-05, 18:51
its not a shop like as in the thing KK promised, its something heavyporker has setup himself, dunno if heshad any KK help or if its basically a apartment just done up in a shopish kinda way, not seen it myself

Maloch Octavia
25-01-05, 19:00
Gotcha, so it's basically what my old Clan had back in TH, where they had a Clan apartment, got the GM's to mod the apartment with lots of Cabs, GoGo's etcetc, and had a staff running it, and had a doorbell on it.

Grooveh.

jini
25-01-05, 19:43
Where is it? Where is it advertised?

MkVenner
25-01-05, 19:49
role play forums, plaza 2

zii
25-01-05, 19:50
Under Events and Role Play forum section.

Heavyporker
25-01-05, 22:51
No GM was involved with my store. It was all carried out my myself and some runners' donations.

onero S
28-01-05, 05:48
Necron is maturing, no doubt about that. Your store needs work though, like charging 35k PER HaB blueprint, thats kinda messed up.

Heavyporker
28-01-05, 15:29
Prices reflect costs.

Oftentimes, wares have to be smuggled in. That costs extra, due to the faction's monopoly.

THE_TICK!!!!
28-01-05, 18:22
keep up the good work heavy its appreciated.