PDA

View Full Version : Gosh I feel silly :$

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 22:55
So there I am happily spending all day downloading Solaris 10 (ya, Windows and Linux isnt enough! I need more!!) so I use Partition Magic to resize HDA1 to 80 odd GB giving me 25GB for Solaris, so I resize Partition HDA1, resize extended partition (HDA5) and create a blank partition for Solaris.

Reboot to get the partition changes done, few seconds later its done and computer reboots. Naturally I'd forgotten that I had Suse Linux installed on HDA5 (which is now HDA6) so instead of the nice "Which OS do you want to bugger up today?" I was greeted with

grub >

OMG ARGHH thats right, no partition loader because grub couldnt find HDA5 to load the boot manager up. We all know how important boot managers are of course, dont we :) Yes, very important.

So there I am sitting at the grub command line thinking to myself "oh f***" or words to that effect, cause lets face it, its very rare that you ever need to type in stuff to make grub work, and even less likely you have a spare Suse Install CD laying around so you can at least boot into Suse to set grub up again!

Thankfully grub lets you tab for a list of commands. So a few guesses later...

grub> root (HD0,0)

HELL NO WE WONT GO!!

grub > kernel (HD0,5)/boot/vmlinuz-1.12.....default

KERNEL PANIC MR MANNERING, DONT PANIC!! :lol: :lol:

Eventually remembered though, so for all you people as geeky as me its..

grub > rootnoverify (HD0,0)
grub > makeactive
grub > chainloader +1
grub > boot

of course Windows then decided to not bother starting up and just reboot during boot up :mad:

But yes, I feel silly now :o :cool:

Xeno LARD
23-01-05, 23:43
Aww poor lexx, I have boot magic (made by PQ aswell) on a disc for stuff like that :p.

Dribble Joy
24-01-05, 13:20
I roffle at thee.

THE_TICK!!!!
24-01-05, 13:35
lol had to laugh on that one :D lexxy droppin the F bomb :eek:

Oath
24-01-05, 13:45
Valuable lesson to be learned here.

:lol:

He who laughs last, laughs like me !!

Spermy
24-01-05, 14:02
I can imagine you at chernobyl (sp) staring at the panel wondering which button was it you were'nt supposed to press.

Sex Lexx+1