PDA

View Full Version : *Bleeping* virus

giga191
23-01-05, 12:35
I get a norton anti virus pop up about every 2 seconds saying that it has found and deleted a virus. It is always from the same location but it says I don't have access to that folder Oo. I only have one user on my computer and the guest account is off.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

Oath
23-01-05, 12:37
Boot into safe mode?

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 14:12
you have probably fixed it by now, but there could be many reasons norton cant delete it, the file could be in use, could have +s +r attributes etc.. best way is to click the Red link that norton gives you when it picks up a virus and use the removal tool. Though norton picked up a virus in one file I had, till i updated it a few times then virus not found :o

giga191
24-01-05, 17:42
Well here is the pop up that i get (it changes name everytime)

Ninjano2002uk
24-01-05, 17:46
ur fuked :rolleyes: format baby format :D

Lexxuk
24-01-05, 17:51
meh go www.microsoft.com and download their anti spyware thing, that looks more like a dialer than a virus, its also in ur temp folder, so you could just create a new user with admin rights, log in as that, then go to c:\documents n settins\virus person and press SHIFT then DELETE the TEMP folder, then just make a new temp folder

giga191
24-01-05, 22:08
Wow this virus sure is fun

Lexxuk
24-01-05, 22:28

go to Start/Run type in cmd

type in exactly the following (change martin to your normal user name)

cd c:\documents and settings\martin\local settings\
attrib -r -s temp
deltree temp
mkdir Temp

Omnituens
25-01-05, 04:15
failing that, use a bootable XP disk to boot to recovery console (this might be accessible by pressing F8 during bootup)

then follow Lexxuk's instructions. you'll be able to access the file as windows isnt even running.

Lexxuk
25-01-05, 17:01
failing that, use a bootable XP disk to boot to recovery console (this might be accessible by pressing F8 during bootup)

then follow Lexxuk's instructions. you'll be able to access the file as windows isnt even running.

I can no longer do that on mine, I slip streamed my XP CD to SP1 then SP2 and set it up to auto install, so all I need to do is insert CD and reboot computer hehe, its a pain in the bum when I need to get my MBR back :o

giga191
25-01-05, 18:07
Well through a combination of looking through the registry, ad-aware, norton and microsoft anti spyware things I think I got it. Funnily enough each of those processes found stuff that the others didn't find.

LiL T
25-01-05, 19:59
You might want to run a search on the web for manuel removal instructions for that virus just to make sure its gone. Some viruses reinstall them selfs by use of registry so that when ever your machine reboots it just keeps comming back.

Or just reformat thats what I do I got 2 hardisks one is for backup so it only takes me 3 hours maybe less to get everything back :)