PDA

View Full Version : need help, bw issue

Anna
22-01-05, 23:38
i just upgraded my comp to a
AMD64 3200 Winchester Core
1024MB RAM
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 256 MB (Omega drivers)
WinXP SP2

fps is great now, but every time i zone, my BW jumps up to 5000-6000ish and i get jojo'd back to where i zoned, lasts for a sec or 2-3 then its back normal

any advice or ideas on how to fix this (or what causes it)

LiL T
22-01-05, 23:43
Vertical sync on ?

if not try switching it on I think the omega drivers set it to off by default to boost fps

Anna
22-01-05, 23:45
its off
i always played with vsync off, on the same 3rd card and had nps with it

but what would my 3d setting have to do with a bandwidth issue?

LiL T
22-01-05, 23:50
its off
i always played with vsync off, on the same 3rd card and had nps with it

but what would my 3d setting have to do with a bandwidth issue?
donno but I know having v sync off can cause you to start yoyo ing just after zoning and that might make the BW jump up as your character is moving around more

boneybob
22-01-05, 23:51
Try uninstalling the Omega and installing the normal drivers?

Anna
23-01-05, 00:09
turned vsync on, still have it
any other ideas? :)

Seven
23-01-05, 00:21
Well if you have a new 64bit CPU, you must have a new motherboard.
So what about the drivers for the mobo since you're using a different network controller now.

Check your bios settings on the mobo too as they come set at default.

Anna
23-01-05, 00:25
im using an usb modem, same settings, same software, thats not it either
if it was my modem id have it all the time, not just on zoning

Seven
23-01-05, 01:24
I didn't say your modem, you're using a totaly different motherboard which has a different chipset controlling the usb ports compared to your old motherboard.

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 01:25
Above post is rather correct, and USB modems tend to be the spawn of satan anyhow, some modems are rather naughty in that they want to use more power than the USB port can provide so go tits up now and then, so your playin NC, your nice CPU whirrs up the power and your USB modem goes OMG GIMME JUICE BABEH and like, dies.

Could be something else though, but still its a nice theory :p

QuantumDelta
23-01-05, 01:30
I would tend to agree with lexx on that one.
Though since that mobo should be using hyper transport I'm suprised it's doing it...

It still seems the most likely thing anyway.

BW, obviously, meaning bandwidth, is going to be modem related most of the time...

Seven
23-01-05, 01:56
BW, obviously, meaning bandwidth, is going to be modem related most of the time...

Yep, but that was one of the things that didn't change from her old setup.

This problem came up after upgrading other hardware.

Dribble Joy
23-01-05, 02:33
I'm amazed people are allowed to sell USB modems legally. Evil horrid vile things.

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 04:36
I'm amazed people are allowed to sell USB modems legally. Evil horrid vile things.

My modem is a router with 4 ports and a USB port too, I use the USB to flash the bugger :)

MkVenner
23-01-05, 05:19
my modem is USDB or ethenet, so retarsd or normal people can use them legally...

tho my router is ethernt so i have to use that

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 06:16
my router has the modem built in, and a 4 port ethernet and usb, its really groovy, but its a conexant chip, so lots of other companies use the same chip/spec for their modem as the people i bought mine off, and bright people made a cd so i flashed my bios from my old one to a much better one with uPnP and all that malarky, though I have to set a DMZ cause there is holes in the firewall but meh :p

hey anna, you can come share my modem with me, i have 3 ports spare :angel:

netster
23-01-05, 07:45
this rubbereffect i have too everytime i sync for about 3-5seconds. when i turn on vsync.... it grows to even 10-12 seconds. and no, its not a fault of omega-drivers, tried both fresh installed system both times :P

anna, u have quite same system like i have, exept i'm using 9800pro 128mb ram and the WinXP-A64 Version. i dont think its fault of any drivers anymore, perhaps our boxes are just too fast syncing (at least i can say my sync is very faster than on my notebook (p4 2.8ghz, 512megs ram, 5200go gfx).

japata
23-01-05, 11:12
I have the exactly same bug. Started when I upgraded to this new machine. After zoning in or out of a dungeon/cave/outpost underground I get the rubberband stuck to my behind. Really annoying. And for me it lasts like 10-15s no matter what I do. My ping is stable 90ms and it really started only after the upgrade. And yea, I too have tried vsync on and off, omega drivers, reinstalling, pretty much everything I can think of.

edit: oh yeh, current setup is 3,4GHz Intel shiz, 768MB ram and radeon x700pro.

jernau
23-01-05, 13:55
I'm amazed people are allowed to sell USB modems legally. Evil horrid vile things.As true as that can be you are forgetting how awful RS232 is and how utterly unspeakable most PCI modems are (ie the winmodem ones).

USB modems are fine if the manufacturer bothered to read the standards documents. Cheap models (most notably Alcatel) are terrible though.

Even the cheap ones can be made better by running them on a powered USB hub as the most common problem, as Lexx said, is that they draw more power than a mobo can offer. This is made worse by the fact most motherboards don't provide as much power as they should. A powered hub will fix that easily.

Hyper Transport has nothing to do with it. Neither should video settings but this is NC so I wouldn't write off that possibility.

Drivers are possible (mobo being most likely) but unlikely I would say if you have no other problems. It wouldn't hurt to ensure you are only running WHQL certified drivers at least until you isolate the problem.

The first thing I would check is network load and firewalls. Do you have any other apps or PCs using the internet while gaming? If so try turning them off and see if it helps. Are you running XP (**spits**)? If so disable the firewall and see if that helps. Likewise, try disabling any third party firewalls, proxies, DL managers, netlimiters, etc. and see what happens.

Morganth
23-01-05, 14:07
I get the yo-yo bug whenever I have the Omega drivers installed. I was using Catalyst drivers for a while and although my FPS was lower (only a little) I never got the yo-yo bug at all.

I think it is safer to go back to the stock drivers, at least until the NC Engine learns how to handle DX9 (so, never I guess).

japata
23-01-05, 14:28
I get the yo-yo bug whenever I have the Omega drivers installed. I was using Catalyst drivers for a while and although my FPS was lower (only a little) I never got the yo-yo bug at all.

I think it is safer to go back to the stock drivers, at least until the NC Engine learns how to handle DX9 (so, never I guess).

I am currently using ATI's own drivers and the rubberband gets worse with dx7 engine so... o_O

Morganth
23-01-05, 16:54
I am currently using ATI's own drivers and the rubberband gets worse with dx7 engine so... o_O

Weird, lol.

I have no trouble with DX7, but with the Omega drivers on DX9 I get rubberband syndrome, but not with the ATi ones.

Hopefully all this gets fixed, as its not like it happens in any other games.

Lexxuk
23-01-05, 19:38
I vote you all change from XP to Windows 3.11 which we all know is the far superious OS :p

-Demon-
23-01-05, 21:16
Not sure if you are...but you aren't using window mode? I used to get this in the short time when alt tabbing was borked...and window mode was a workaround...however on certian zones my bw used to go like that..althought admittedly it didnt go away after a few seconds...

Just a idea thats all...

Anna
23-01-05, 22:16
im fullscreen

as for the modem, i really cant imagine that would be the prob, if it was, i would have problems all the time, not just on zoning (i think)

jernau
23-01-05, 22:21
im fullscreen

as for the modem, i really cant imagine that would be the prob, if it was, i would have problems all the time, not just on zoning (i think)
Not necessarily.

Zoning involves more work than normal both compared to normal play in NC and ANY type of play in any other online game.

I don't know much about how the NC client talks to the server but what I do know offers a few possibile ways it could break like this on some hardware. It's unlikely but it's possible. These problems would be made much more likely if other applications were using the internet or sitting between NC and the internet.

LiL T
23-01-05, 22:22
You did check for viruses and spyware ?

Lexxuk
One way to find out would be to try packet sniffing software, like http://www.ethereal.com/ for instance, run it in the background and set it to monitor your interweb connection, keep an aye on it for reference and then zone, if you get the bungee effect, wait until the effect has gone and then look at the results from ethereal (not sure if it works with USB modems though tbh, might do) and to see if there is any packet loss etc.. related with when you zone, if there is, thats your problem, if there isnt, you can come share my modem :angel:

Anna
Not necessarily.

Zoning involves more work than normal both compared to normal play in NC and ANY type of play in any other online game.

I don't know much about how the NC client talks to the server but what I do know offers a few possibile ways it could break like this on some hardware. It's unlikely but it's possible. These problems would be made much more likely if other applications were using the internet or sitting between NC and the internet.
so what do you suggest? :D

jernau
23-01-05, 22:33
so what do you suggest? :D
See my first post ;).

1) Install WHQL drivers for mobo and graphics card
2) Check for other tasks (inc mal-ware as Lil T says) and remove all that you can
3) Disable connection sharing, firewalls, netlimiter, etc.

Try it like that and if it works change things back to "normal" one at a time until it breaks again.

If that doesn't fix it you could try a powered USB hub (easier if you have or can borrow one of course) or re-install windows (avoiding XP if you can).

You should also look in task manager just to check that you aren't running out of memory.

Morganth
24-01-05, 00:06
One way to find out would be to try packet sniffing software, like http://www.ethereal.com/ for instance, run it in the background and set it to monitor your interweb connection, keep an aye on it for reference and then zone, if you get the bungee effect, wait until the effect has gone and then look at the results from ethereal (not sure if it works with USB modems though tbh, might do) and to see if there is any packet loss etc.. related with when you zone, if there is, thats your problem, if there isnt, you can come share my modem :angel:

And while you are at it, see what other juicy info the client sends to the server. :rolleyes:

I wonder if KK will start making more things server side, like Stamina and hacking :rolleyes:

Seven
24-01-05, 00:28
Her modem worked fine and the BW was fine on the old computer.
It's something with her new hardware working with the old. IMHO

jernau
24-01-05, 00:34
Her modem worked fine and the BW was fine on the old computer.
It's something with her new hardware working with the old. IMHO
Connectivity is about a lot more than bandwidth.

It could be at least a dozen different things based on the info here. These kind of issues can be a real PITA till you find the one silly little thing that causes it.

Anna
24-01-05, 00:46
well, apparently i was getting problems coz i had too much fps :wtf:

played a bit on my ppu again, been a few days, and i was miscasting 50-75% of my spells, the wavingyourarmsdoingcrap thing

other drivers and tweaks to lower my fps seem to have fixed it

was getting 250fps, 90 during a fight, was obviously too much for nc to react stable :confused:

edit: oh and the jojo thing got fixed too with lower fps :wtf:

Lexxuk
24-01-05, 00:53
And while you are at it, see what other juicy info the client sends to the server. :rolleyes:

I wonder if KK will start making more things server side, like Stamina and hacking :rolleyes:

looking at information passing through your network card is a lot different to modifying the information passing through your network card, then you have the job of decrypting exactly what the information means too, just being able to "see" packets doesnt mean much, and I'd assume KK uses encrypted data anyhow.

Seven
24-01-05, 01:21
well, apparently i was getting problems coz i had too much fps :wtf:

played a bit on my ppu again, been a few days, and i was miscasting 50-75% of my spells, the wavingyourarmsdoingcrap thing

other drivers and tweaks to lower my fps seem to have fixed it

was getting 250fps, 90 during a fight, was obviously too much for nc to react stable :confused:

edit: oh and the jojo thing got fixed too with lower fps :wtf:

Interesting.
Glad to hear your new toy is running Neobomb... I mean Neocron ok. :D

Morganth
24-01-05, 01:36
I'd assume KK uses encrypted data anyhow.

How many mins of constant packet capturing you think you'd need to decrypt it (not you personally, but in general)?

Assuming they are using the highest bit encryption, it must have taken a while for whoever created the packet modding hack program to do it, but it shows it must be possible.

LiL T
24-01-05, 01:36
looking at information passing through your network card is a lot different to modifying the information passing through your network card, then you have the job of decrypting exactly what the information means too, just being able to "see" packets doesnt mean much, and I'd assume KK uses encrypted data anyhow.
Lex does have a point

Lexxuk
24-01-05, 02:52
How many mins of constant packet capturing you think you'd need to decrypt it (not you personally, but in general)?

Assuming they are using the highest bit encryption, it must have taken a while for whoever created the packet modding hack program to do it, but it shows it must be possible.

havent got a clue about any of that, not interested in networks to be honest, more interested in java and pr0n :D

japata
24-01-05, 10:00
I have a cable connection and everything worked pretty much perfectly before my hardware upgrade, so I can't see how the rubberband could be my connection's fault. The high BW isn't necessarily the cause of the problem, it might as well be another symptom. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and the high fps is obviously my prob too. Now I run NC in 1280x960 and force pretty much everything on that could decrease my fps. Before I was stuck for about 15-30s now only 5-10. Still OP wars are quite hard when I'm just standing outside the ug entrance. ;)

Does anyone know of a program that could force my fps down? :p

[VP]Orion
24-01-05, 11:51
Does anyone know of a program that could force my fps down? :p
Set a vsync at 60 fps and guess what? You'll never go higher than 60 fps.. ;)

japata
24-01-05, 12:52
Orion']Set a vsync at 60 fps and guess what? You'll never go higher than 60 fps.. ;)

Well I'm not master at tweaking graphic options so maybe you could explain how I can set vsync at 60 fps. ;)