PDA

View Full Version : Theme week a success ?

Crest
20-01-05, 14:44
3 Months ago October 27th (Or there about) it was announced , the theme week concept.

I remeber slating the idea, not because of the concept (Good concept) but it would not be inplimented.

Do you think it has been success full
We are now going onto 3 months since concepts was delivered and here is a recap of this concept

Link to the planfile (http://cp.neocron.com/5/planfiles?lang=en&id=45&)

(same content as this post)

We are determined to improve the communication with the community and to allow you to take a closer look at our development process.
Does the community feel closer to the development, do you think the communication has improved

We have plans for things like contests and theme-related events. Of course the details will depend on the respective themes.

Have you seen any of these events or contests relating to the themes

Internally, all departments (if possible) will work on the week’s theme. This means bug fixing as well as developing and implementing new content.

I have seen some bug fixes and new content

At the end of each of theme weeks, a closure event is planned using the new features and content.

Did I miss the Drone planned event, anyone got pictures ... Any indication of Hacknet event ?

Limits:
The duration of the theme weeks will be between 1 and 3 weeks depending on the theme.
Are these limits being met, 3 months next week, and 2 themes, plus christmas, 3 weeks + 3 weeks ( 2 themes) makes 6 weeks ......

My View
I tried not to taint above with my view on this , till now

Concept is very good, but I don't think it has delivered what it promised.
1) Theme weeks started 3 months ago, and well should be called theme months bordering on theme quarters, as in 1/4 of a year they have efectively added content and bug fixes for 2 themes.

2) Drone theme did a lot for dronning, but looking at patches, only 1 drone patch was delivered in this time, and a few vendors created then deleted. So we have drone month, a few days in we have a content and bug fix, then we have nothing related to this theme. Each patch after this is quick fix or the hacknet patch, and l;ooking through patch notes I have no noticed anything relating to drones.

3) There is talk of events, during and a final event. ummm Sounds good, but not done in practis (Unless i missed the final dronne one)

I think theme week concept promised a lot and failed to deliver on its promise. I don't think the idea or concept has failed but implimentation of this.

Dribble Joy
20-01-05, 14:46
Erm... the drone patch did fix quite a few bugs... and brought in a number of new drones and gave us a new HUD.
Crimbo holidays didn't help matters with HN.

Jesterthegreat
20-01-05, 14:48
all in all i was impressed with drone weeks...

shame the crappy SL bug survived though.

Crest
20-01-05, 14:50
Erm... the drone patch did fix quite a few bugs... and brought in a number of new drones and gave us a new HUD.
Crimbo holidays didn't help matters with HN.
In 3 months we have got a few hacknet additions, a new drone or two and tons of bug fixes... this is a theme week generated a month after release into retail.

Remove bug fix's cause in theory this is retail and they sould not exist. Leaves us with very little for 3 month period, or did I miss something ?

all in all i was impressed with drone weeks...

shame the crappy SL bug survived though.
I enjoy the result of the week too... but drones are still bugged, fail to fire every time, come out of drone view and you face the wrong way. Lose SL when some dies in sector (Even if LE).
It took close on 5 to complete the drone week. No other content was worked on . As mentioned above 3 months and look what we got for it

Oath
20-01-05, 14:53
How do you measure success?

Crest
20-01-05, 14:54
How do you measure success?

I have highlited the KK objectives in quotes, did they meet their objectives, in their time frames ?

Dribble Joy
20-01-05, 14:55
Remove bug fix's cause in theory this is retail and they sould not exist. Leaves us with very little for 3 month period, or did I miss something ?

Actually the whole point of theme weeks is to fix bugs primarily, content is second.

There will allways be bugs, and bugfixing, regardless of the stage the game is in.

Crest
20-01-05, 14:56
Actually the whole point of theme weeks is to fix bugs primarily, content is second.

There will allways be bugs, and bugfixing, regardless of the stage the game is in.

The vote yes, if you feel it hit the spot for you

berty
20-01-05, 15:18
I think its a marvelous idea, at least KK are trying to incorporate the thoughts of the community into what they are doing, be it a week, 2 weeks or a month the "theme week" concept is a very good one and I think that KK bashing threads like this are a bit futile (as they have been in the past).

You admit yourself Crest right at the beginning :-

"I remeber slating the idea, not because of the concept (Good concept) but it would not be inplimented"

What you want now a gold medal because they havent kept exactly to the plan file, they've not met their weekly deadline for number of patches - and you told us all before hand? Get real we all knew it, but most of us are glad that were getting something.

athon
20-01-05, 15:34
Excellent idea. Excellent first theme week.

But the novelty seems to have worn off for KK and they've fallen quickly back to their old ways. (Communication reduced, not ifixng the things people are really complaining about, promising more new content that probably won't be delivered, breaking the engine some more)

Athon Solo

Dribble Joy
20-01-05, 15:57
The vote yes, if you feel it hit the spot for you
I thouught I did?...

Whoops....

msdong
20-01-05, 17:10
the "problem" with theme weeks is that they offer "only" bugfixes for minoritys at the moment.
if we look into the last patch notes a lot of them contain small fixes to content allready ingame.
yes we have new drones, get new (high level ?)weapons but that is just polish the crome. the community is looking for better gameplay, things to do!
if we crawl the brainport only very few stuff is about new weapons and implants. a lot of stuff in there is adding a tactical note to the major option of NC: OPFIGHTS & PvP

what we need is a Brainport Themeweek

...But the novelty seems to have worn off for KK and they've fallen quickly back to their old ways. ...

im not shure on that. i LIKE to think that CoDi is pretty busy to pimp up the engine for the new HN Mob because they say it is done in Jan.

Dribble Joy
20-01-05, 17:14
A lot of things to do with PvP could be solved/made better with a few very small changes that are well within the capability of KK.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-05, 17:22
I do like one thing about themeweeks:

The hacknet avatar gives me back the hair on my spy ;-)
Midlife crisis is over baby !

Skusty
20-01-05, 17:30
where i buy Theme weeks? A&W? H.E.W? Medicare? Smugglers? ASG? :D i know what a theme week is

shend
20-01-05, 18:12
negative vibe merchants

MrDomino
21-01-05, 13:45
In terms of what was said in the planfile, no KK wasn't successful. Not much seems to be getting done.

solling
21-01-05, 21:57
i think it was a success well that is untill they stopped coming or lasting a couple month instead :(

retr0n
21-01-05, 22:13
i think it was a success well that is untill they stopped coming or lasting a couple month instead :(

Lore wears pink leather panties!!

aelfkins
22-01-05, 01:32
I feal that the first theme week was a success. It was several weeks long, but that worked well. It gave KK time to take opinions, suggetions, fix some large bugs, and give new thing to play with.
The second theme week is currantly a failure. They started out stating that they had to fix some major expoits instead of working on the theme week topic. Good for them, they saw and emergency and said they would deal with it. So they promptly went on holiday(for a month), came back banned a bunch of people, but didn't fix the problems(there have been no patches/fixes).