PDA

View Full Version : Guess that horse power

Terayon
20-01-05, 10:19
So my dads a mechanic, and he got this guy came in the shop to use a dyno today. This guy has a 1998 supra with a totaly stock engine. I mean it hasent been opened up or modified at all. The only thing thats been done is a new exaust system, a new computer, and a new turbo. This turbo pushes 55 pounds of torque, so its frigging huge. The car has never been tested up to this point. Anyone wanna guess the HP this car pulls on the dyno at the wheels?

Revslad
20-01-05, 10:45
close to 450 - 500?

Capt. Rik
20-01-05, 10:49
i'd guess about 320

Terayon
20-01-05, 10:52
1480HP. It pulled an 8 second quarter mile. On a 3L engine!

You know his friend has a racing engine that uses alcohol, it cant pull that kind of HP. Its just unbeleivable.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-05, 11:23
330hp, for about 1 hour :-)

mishkin
20-01-05, 12:11
The supra has an incredible engine, you can tune it to 1000hp (at least) without opening it up at all, and it'll still work perfectly fine... it's so damn strong :cool:

Bugs Gunny
20-01-05, 12:38
No fucking way is that hp at the wheels :-)

If you have an engine that's rated at a normal rubo hp go that high you're gonan throw a rod pretty damn fast.
And i've never heard of a dragracer running with an engine that hasn't been opened up.
Plus that car will burn it's standard clutchdisc by trying to take off from standstill.

To even make that car be able to use 1400+ hp you'll have to mod it so hard that you can't realy drive it in normal trafic anymore

Terayon
20-01-05, 12:47
Calling me a lier? :P
The car isent ment for street racing. An 8 second car has to have slicks on it, so ofcourse its not for the street. Also, I got this info from my dad who dousent lie. He was at the track at the time. Also with a turbo that massive the car wouldent be running at full HP tell it got going a fair ways, so it wouldent be 1480hp on the clutch from the beggining.

Sry i cant type faster. Just bought this ak74 pocketknife, and had to play with it tons. Ya i just cut my thumb and it wont stop bleeding :P.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-05, 13:24
;-)

I do still think this engine will live just a few races, as unmodded internaly, it's bound to throw a piston through the head VERY soon.
I've been fidling around with volkswagen aircooled engines a lot, and it's amazing what "tuning" does in damage to an engine.
I've had valves break, heads blow holes in them.... And the bearings... my god the bearings.

If this guy wants his engine to live long he'll have to go with a fully counterweighted NON-welded crankshaft, chome-molyb rods, special pistons, up the compression even a bit more, go with copper headgaskets, use water injection to cool the whole thing down a bit and prevent detonation.
And even then, an engine block is made to withstand a certain force... No engine can live through this kind of abuse long.

Slapping on a huge turbo and axhaust and changing the fuelmappings, max rpms etc... is the cheapo way of doing it, and it's a short term solution.
Still this kind of engine tuning is alot better than:
"Hey man, i just tuned my car yesterday, i got another 30hp out of the engine."
"oh? what did you do."
"I slapped on three more stickers"

Dribble Joy
20-01-05, 13:48
I find it highly dubious that a stock engine, even with the fattest turbo, would ever get above 1000hp. It would rip itself to pieces.
Getting it to the wheels would be an even more miraculous feat, you would need a drag racing gearbox, racing diff and custom wheels and tyres.

If it really does manage this frankly F1 level amount of power, then it won't last long.

eLcHi
20-01-05, 17:06
If it really does manage this frankly F1 level amount of power, then it won't last long.

F1-Cars don`t have a Turbo ... ;)

MkVenner
20-01-05, 17:11
well i know of 5 year old skylines with over 1k horse, and an 8 turbo 1967 Shelby Mutang that had like 2000....and dont forget the Weinbeck Cobra, thats only like 850 BHP, but it weighs less than my nan....

tho tbh that much in a supra is a little.....ott....

MKIV Import > 98 :p

reminds me, i really need to get on a dyno....

Bugs Gunny
20-01-05, 17:19
I don't realy see the point in people bragging about HP anyway.
It's all in weight/hp/gearbox ratio anyway. (and aerodynamics at higher speeds)

To get back on the gearbox thing... Let me tell you that with a 75hp 2.0l aircooled volkswagen beetle i've surprised many people at stop lights. It' doesn't go over 145km/h but it does get there fast (plus the fact that half of it is fiberglass and i've removed some "non essential items".

Slap a 150hp engine on a cart with a good gearbox and you'll have yourself an awesome, but suicidal dragracer :-)

MkVenner
20-01-05, 17:21
then theres the aeriel atom and the Caterham Super 7, both very light, both small engines, both beat a half a million carrera GT round a track :p

Revslad
20-01-05, 17:29
i dont know that much about cars but surely to reach those sort of figures on a turbo'd supra ud have to be running at atleast 50psi and thats just for show, u wont find a supra that drives around the streets as a fun or even day to day car running at 50psi :wtf:

MkVenner
20-01-05, 17:36
what supra was it stock? the twin or the quad?

hinch
20-01-05, 18:47
happen to know a thing or 2 about supra's :)

and im sorry but the machine lied to you on a stock engine theres no way in hell your getting over 350 ponies

the simple reason is that it just cant fuel fast enough even more noticiable when you dump a dirty great turbo on.

supra engines are possiably the best engines out there after the nismo 26b (skyline's lump :) )

the highest powered supra out there atm is made and owned by topsecret in japan it clocks a 1280 ponies at the flywheel and has about $180K spent on the engine including more custom bits than you can shake a stick at.

assuming he put something like hks t64 turbo's on (its a twin turbo :) ) on with a couple of big ass filters and a 7.5inch exhaust the engine would still choke its self to death and run like a bag of shite.

you just simply cant get more power with a small amount of stuff being done to a car you have to do alot to get it.

MkVenner
20-01-05, 19:05
i know the stock twin turbo is 320 brake....dunno bout he quad...

or mebbe the quad is 320 and i dont know the double...meh

Terayon
20-01-05, 22:13
"the simple reason is that it just cant fuel fast enough even more noticiable when you dump a dirty great turbo on."

Tune the computer. It tells the car how much fuel to feed the car, when. And much much more. As for the gear ratios and how you need racing gears. No you dont. Just configure them right for a dragstrip. Also the colder you make an engine the more horses you will lose. Why? Becouse more energy gets turned into heat instead of power, so you realy need to find a balance when racing drag for a short period of time like this. A new exaust system will dramaticly increase HP gain from the turbo.

And course hp isent all. My dad drives this old civic at the track. Its engine, i have no idea what it is. I know he had a nearly dead on 11 second run with a 320 HP civic, or so. I will ask hi how thats goin now. In his last race the bumber came lose and broke his front window to bits, and then it was winter.

Maybe i can get him to bring his laptop home so i get get a screenie of the resaults and post them here.

MkVenner
20-01-05, 22:32
320 brake civic? whoa...that really pushing it for a fwd lol, my girlfriends type r is pretty much stock, cept for the inductions kit, sports manifold and exhaust and sports springs i fitted and thats like 200 brake so i suppose it'd be easy to get one to 320 tho...

Terayon
20-01-05, 22:57
You should see the slicks on it lol. Tiny car with these massive front tires, n tiny back tires.

hinch
21-01-05, 03:28
terayon you know very little about cars dont you.

do you want to re-read your post above and realise that its 98% bollocks or do you want me to rip it appart for you.

as for civics :) venner there is a civic in the uk running 750 bhp to the front wheels (and it manages to get it to the road most of the time)

the quad turbo supra wasnt actually production they were one off builds dont by a collaboration of trd and blitz i believe. i'd have to go look that one up tbh its a murky area most people dont delve into.

having prepped upwards of 30 cars for track and drag i kinda know abit about them though the jap stuff i only know from what others have had done nobodys really that crazy to let me loose with a big jap super car considering what i can do with most other things :)

(currently running a 2.5v6 with super charger oO)

Terayon
21-01-05, 04:33
No i dont know much, and im sorry if it apears that i do. Becouse i dont, and i like it when people correct me. I learn that way.

But the fact is my dad does know some stuff. You learn a thing or two after owning your own shop for 25 years, and race your own cars at the track every sunday. The facts about the civic, and the supra are true.

"the quad turbo supra wasnt actually production they were one off builds dont by a collaboration of trd and blitz i believe. i'd have to go look that one up tbh its a murky area most people dont delve into." And that corrcts me how? It was a blue supra 98.

"as for civics venner there is a civic in the uk running 750 bhp to the front wheels (and it manages to get it to the road most of the time)"

How does this correct anything i say, i dont know. Maybe im retarded, but could you point it out for me?

Also, aparently it had a nitrous boost on it aswell. It was an experiment to seeh ow fast one could go before it blow the engine. But ya i found the video, i will post it in a bit.

And turbo>supercharger

MkVenner
21-01-05, 04:40
the supposed "limit" on BHP for front wheel drive is 450 brake, but there is a stock alpha 156 (ithink, im not good with Alpha Romeo's lol) thats 656 stock, and ive heard of HUGE Mk2 Golf GTis and Ford Focus RS's

i just sold my Paris Dakar spec L200 and got a 330is Cabri with the M3 kit, normally i wouldnt be able to get insured on it by any one but an insane man on crack, so it's insured as one of my girlfriends dad's company cars, which aint a total lie coz i do work for him from time to time :p, i got quite a bit of money in the bank, i might get it turbo's but i dunno yet, might be pipe dreams

and imo turbo > super charger too, but it depends, i wouldnt have a turbo on something like a Aeriel atom, Caterham, mini, civic, somethign small like that

Terayon
21-01-05, 04:56
Ok save the target here. (http://home.no/qb12/marko1520whp.mov) Its not the one my dad had gotten in, but i will find that one later tonight to prove you all wrong!!! :P

Seven
21-01-05, 06:14
Ok save the target here. (http://home.no/qb12/marko1520whp.mov) Its not the one my dad had gotten in, but i will find that one later tonight to prove you all wrong!!! :P

Fun video, what was that loud screech at the end there?
Sounded like he missed a gear and then the engine red lined.
Does it still run?

Give us more videos. :D

hinch
21-01-05, 12:40
i was on about what you said about engine breathing and fueling when you picked up on my comment earlier the civic and supra comments were just facts not aimed at you

the sound was the turbo's dumping out the boost as they backed off

Spoon
21-01-05, 17:29
ahhhh, a Supra that defies the laws of physics....

A Supra with a "totally stock drive train" isn't capable of turning an 8 second quarter mile(gearing wise).....
Unless they come with a 5:88 ratio rearend in them these days...

hinch
21-01-05, 22:35
not only teh ratios but lets see

the prop would shatter under that much power
the drive shafts would disintergrate
the gearbox would be just smooth instead of toothed and teh clutch would stink to all hell as it burns its self out in under a second.

not only that but as i pointed out earlier just sticking a dirty great turbo on a pretty much standard else car wont work.

just from fuel/air ratios needless to take into account that amount of pressure would split a standard headgasket and probs warp the rings. and the chances are shatter the crank