View Full Version : Comp Restarting...meep help?

sanityislost
13-01-05, 16:39
Ok its now time for me to once again ask you random people to help fix my comp :p
Right now when im playing the game and i get into a fairly large fight all the
sound will go into slow motion and then a few minutes later my comp will restart
on its own. Its got to the point i cant even level because of my HL lagging my
comp out :/

At first i thought onoz my comp is over heating and i added 3 more fans, but no
joy its still doing it. Could it simply be i dont have enough ram? (256ddr) or
something to do with lack of power (Someone told me something like that but i
dont have a clue how to fix it :p )

Any help would be vewwy sweet!

SiL ..:..

ThUnDerHaSi
13-01-05, 16:41
Putting new Fans in isn't enough.
Have u cleaned ya pc yet? Maybe the cpu-fan or the fan of ya graphicscard is not clean. Also check the cooler grill of ya cpu-fan...it must be all clean
and about the ram...its not much but usally its enough for nc ;)

sanityislost
13-01-05, 16:44
Putting new Fans in isn't enough.
Have u cleaned ya pc yet? Maybe the cpu-fan or the fan of ya graphicscard is not clean. Also check the cooler grill of ya cpu-fan...it must be all clean
and about the ram...its not much but usally its enough for nc ;)

Yea dude it all looks clean, but to be on the safe side will tae a hoover to it
when naruto is done DL'ing

Dribble Joy
13-01-05, 16:48
Has this started after you altered something?
What rating is your PSU, might not be getting enough power to all the stuff you have?

256 ddr is low, but shouldn't make a difference with NC (other than the mem 'leak').

El Jimben
13-01-05, 16:51
256 ddr is low, but shouldn't make a difference with NC (other than the mem 'leak').

I agree with that to an extent but I've recently doubled my ram to 512DDR 333MHZ and the difference across the board (not just NC wise) is definately noticable.

Strangely enough I had problems with my PC crashing and restarting but then I had 0 fans cept those on the mainboard and CPU! Got 2 fans and 512MB brand new ram and it's been sweet as

ThUnDerHaSi
13-01-05, 16:52
You played NC on this computer b4 right?
That means it worked b4 and so it cant be ya PSU
I can still remember something from a friend. His pc crashed all the time. So he cleaned it up...it crashed again..i took a look...dismounted the cpu-fan...cleared the fangrill and suddently it worked...u coult try to restart ya pc go into the BIOS then take a look at "PC-Health-Status" or something else...belongs on ya BIOS...there u see the CPU temperature..it should be about 40 ° - 50 ° Celcius...if its higher then u know that it is too hot ;)

Bugs Gunny
13-01-05, 16:53
Had the same problem, solved it by putting in a non-onboard soundcard.

But yours may be a lot of things, i wouldn't just go buy another card. Try using someone else's ram first, do a defrag and diskcheck. Also download motherboard monitor and check the temps of your components.

sanityislost
13-01-05, 17:30
Didnt have these probs till i changed the memory and the motherboard
I think the psu is about 300, but its been ages since i got it so could be wrong
Used a prog called speed fan last week and it said my cpu temp was at about
37-47 C, had some other values there but they cant be right since they never
change and are at 127 C (my comp would be on fire then lol).

Vanten
13-01-05, 17:41
lol this might be far fetched. But is your cpufan correcly attached to your cpu/motherboard. Some years ago a friend of mines computer restarted every now and then. Was like that for 6 months before he looked into it and found out that the heatsink barley connected to the cpu:s core. :D Witch caused these restartes when the sink failed to lie against the core correctly.

sanityislost
13-01-05, 17:44
lol this might be far fetched. But is your cpufan correcly attached to your cpu/motherboard. Some years ago a friend of mines computer restarted every now and then. Was like that for 6 months before he looked into it and found out that the heatsink barley connected to the cpu:s core. :D Witch caused these restartes when the sink failed to lie against the core correctly.

ummm i ....dont...know lol....its one of those clippy sorta
things. Got a heat sink ontop of the cpu with a fan above it :lol:

[Edit]
Oook....Just ran that motherboard monitor prog and it says my Cpu is at 127C :/

Dribble Joy
13-01-05, 17:46
Problems after a major hardware alteration, generally mean two things.

Faulty hardware/incorrectly installed (such as fan/heatsink mounting,as said above) or some form of incompatability with the rest of the system.

That said, ignore me, I know nothing of such things.

Tyr
13-01-05, 17:56
Thread moved.

Vanten
13-01-05, 18:04
ummm i ....dont...know lol....its one of those clippy sorta
things. Got a heat sink ontop of the cpu with a fan above it :lol:

[Edit]
Oook....Just ran that motherboard monitor prog and it says my Cpu is at 127C :/

For all i know, most cpus have a max temperature of 60 - 75 c. So eather is the temp-sensor broke or that monitor program isn't compatibel with your motherboard/chips. You said that this started when you changed memory, are the memory compatible with the motherboard?

And please try this program http://www.memtest86.com/memt32.zip
It checks so your memory doesn't make any errors, if you notice !!ANY!! errors, it's eather the cpu not geting enough volt. Or the ram-memory is faulty.

!!! do this first plz !!!
The restarts could be due to data corruption, and windows has a builtin automatic restart eachtime it gets a bluescreen. Please deactivate that at: system/advanced/"start and recovery?"/ and uncheck the box "restart automaticy".

Please make the computer reset and tell us if you get a bluescreen now instead.

ThUnDerHaSi
13-01-05, 18:06
youre using amd cpu or pentium cpu? on amd cpus u should take a look if the fangrill is exactly on the cpu...i whish i could explain it a lil bit better but my english sux :P

sanityislost
13-01-05, 18:42
Yea i got that Blue screen warning...some about BAD_POOL and some more stuff
about a memory dump.

Gona get my mate to check my CPU fan and heat sink later tonight

Maester Seymour
13-01-05, 18:47
sound will go into slow motion and then a few minutes later my comp will restart on its own.

I once had the same problem dude.

U got hardware acceleration on high for audio playback? I found turning audio hardware acceleration right down to none whilst playing NC stopped it doing that.

(Advanced audio properties in your control panel)

That fixed it for me.

Zheo
13-01-05, 18:57
Ok its now time for me to once again ask you random people to help fix my comp :p
Right now when im playing the game and i get into a fairly large fight all the
sound will go into slow motion and then a few minutes later my comp will restart
on its own. Its got to the point i cant even level because of my HL lagging my
comp out :/

At first i thought onoz my comp is over heating and i added 3 more fans, but no
joy its still doing it. Could it simply be i dont have enough ram? (256ddr) or
something to do with lack of power (Someone told me something like that but i
dont have a clue how to fix it :p )

Any help would be vewwy sweet!

OOC: Neocron has become corrupt my brother (computer tech) helped me trying to fix mine when i had a similar problem, we found corrupt files in neocron folder, delete it and reinstall. then take a back up copy and store it on another drive or cd's try zipping it to make it smaller too. So next time you have problems with NC just copy the back up copy. You'll have to re-install the patches too, also once you delete it run anti virus, spy ware and de-frag the harddrive. then de-frag after u install and update it.

Takes ages, it's a pain in the arse, you shouldnt have to do it, but it works!

Zheo
13-01-05, 18:59
(256ddr)

Also buy more ram, i have 1mb, but my mate can run nc fine with 512mb. Just for good measure that is.

sanityislost
13-01-05, 19:19
I once had the same problem dude.

U got hardware acceleration on high for audio playback? I found turning audio hardware acceleration right down to none whilst playing NC stopped it doing that.

(Advanced audio properties in your control panel)

That fixed it for me.

Dude, i owe u one fixed the sound probs right away...
Not 100% how it will effect vent, will test it later.

So far the sound probs are fixed, i got better Fps (not as much as i first
thought) and its not restarting as much soooooo all in all thanx guys!

Maester Seymour
13-01-05, 19:34
It should still be okay with vent i think, i've used teamspeak with it set like that before and didn't have any probs. :)

Dribble Joy
13-01-05, 19:38
Hmmm.. Bad ram?

Lexxuk
13-01-05, 19:40
If your using XP, right click My Computer, select Manage, go to Event Viewer, you'll find your logs in there, should tell you why it rebooted, and you can click the link for MS to tell you whats wrong.

Right click "My computer" go to Properties/Advanced/Startup and Recovery, uncheck "automatically restart"

sanityislost
13-01-05, 20:28
@DJ: really aint sure but its looking that way....poo...

@Lexxy: Did that and got the BAD_POOL msg with something about memory
dumping and alot of other stuff i dont understand :p

I really should of stayed awake in computing college :p

Dribble Joy
13-01-05, 20:32
I was only speculating really, I should really butt out of these things.

But hardware change and then the problems you gave (including the BSOD stuff) seems to show a possible RAM problem.

Lexxuk
13-01-05, 21:20
<3

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314492