PDA

View Full Version : Rank */50 doldrums - advice, please?

BradSTL
12-01-05, 23:15
I've got a droner/hacker with about 75 base DEX and INT, 20 PSI, and CON and STR up around 30. I've got a droner/constructor/researcher with about 75 DEX and INT, capped STR and PSI, about 30 CON. I've got a tech rifle spy with about 75 in DEX, about 70 in INT, capped STR and PSI, and about 30 CON. All in all, three spy characters at around 55/50 rank. And when I try to level any of them past that point, I'm bored beyond imagining.

If I want reliable solo leveling, I can go to the bunker, and race everybody else chasing the same three to five cyclops launchers that are always there. I can't be the only one who thinks this way; you wouldn't believe the number of rank */50 to */60 characters I see there. Do you know how disconcerting it is to see characters with level 2 power armor and rare weapons hunting level 50 mobs?

With all three characters, I can hunt warbots solo (although it's pointless for the constructor, since he can't hack). But I spend roughly half of my time just pointlessly driving my motorcycle around or running around the same terrain, either at the Military Base or at Battle Dome, hoping for one to spawn and for me to see it before it sees me. And even then, I have to pick times when the server's at 9% population or below, or else there are swarms of characters my level chasing the same six mobs per sector, and if I get max damage on a warbot and go to hack it, by the time I come out of the hack screen 15 seconds later someone's trying to blow up my bike.

If I want to hunt anything else, then I waste one third to half of my time trying to find a team roughly my level, then we spend at least half of our time running around or otherwise waiting for mobs to spawn. So at best, I can be gaining XP about half of the time at just above my level, or maybe a quarter of the time for stuff higher than that. Consequently, no matter how I slice it, trying to get any character's primary stats above 75 feels not only repetitive, but involves mind numbing amounts of sheer waiting for something to do and then goes grindingly slow once combat starts.

(Yes, even droning in the graves, where it takes me two or three flights of a capped MR-1000 or RG-1000 drone to bring down a single snake. Man, that's exciting. NOT.)

So I start thinking about deleting one of my characters and leveling up to the roughly 55/50 level again. Maybe a PE driver/gunner, I've been thinking lately; before that it was a street samurai/hacknet hacker. Whatever. In fact, this is how I ended up with a rifle spy, from before that. Nothing I really want to play, just something to do when the boredom of trying to level my primary characters beats me down too badly. But it'd be pointless, wouldn't it? I'd hit the same wall at roughly the same stats.

This has kept happening to me since Neocron 1, and I'd love some advice. The only way I got through this with one character in NC1 was via "worm farming" with the old Crimson Tide gang on Pluto server. It since then turns out that "worm farming" really was an exploit (who knew?) and has since been disabled. Without it, the sheer time spending running around or otherwise trying to find some productive way to level up is driving me batty.

Oh, sure, I could take my LE chips out and join a clan (after all, there are so many large and successful Tsunami clans on Terra server -- in somebody's better imagination than mine). Maybe that would give me more people to level up with, make it easier to hit some of the reliable group leveling spots. Except that then, I'd be spending half of my game waiting for synaptic impairment to wear off and replacing equipment I lost because we got ambushed by some clan six to eight times our size. No thanks, I enjoyed as much of that as I could stand back in NC1.

If anybody else has felt the same way at the same point in the game, how did you get past it? Is there really any way to do it, other than to join one of the two or three largest clans on the server?

retr0n
12-01-05, 23:43
Well, if you are LEd you have acces to the entire map, try and find a good team
at cycrow, e12 or the old canyon caves. You can get some very good xp there
with a good team.

Other then that, there is not really alot you can do to level fast, hunting warbots
or any other mob solo takes alot of time.

If you want your levels fast, you simply have to gut it out, and find a good team.
Other then that, the only choice left is to let it come over time.

Morganth
12-01-05, 23:56
Stick on a medium poison belt, get a good heal sanctum and use BR2 and you can solo Swamp caves, just be careful of how many mobs you take on, and leave the Shaman for the big boys.

Riddle
13-01-05, 11:04
Stick on a medium poison belt, get a good heal sanctum and use BR2 and you can solo Swamp caves, just be careful of how many mobs you take on, and leave the Shaman for the big boys.

This is how i done it, dam i hated that level 50 mark i really wanted to be 60+ :D

I got the poison belt went to gravis swamp and killed mobs there was getting nearly an INT and DEX level out of each couple of runs. YES avoid shaman he whoops arse lol. I found Fire based weapons kick ass in there too.

Normally a few people there only interested in levelling so i got some good teams when i was there.

Also always use the highest DEX weapon you can, I heard it helps max out XP gain.

There are other swamp areas aswell even one at Jankins i think thats close to your usual haunt of MB :)

Good Luck.

Agent L
13-01-05, 11:43
- solo : swamp caves as it was said.
- 2 ppl : driver + gunner and go rhino hunting firemobs. I can't imagine faster way of leveling a spy. And rares as a bonus.
- bigger team : chaos caves (THAT is boring : P)

I dunno how it's today with driver rank, but if you can get to /50, it's enough to share with /80 gunner.
And never try to lower rank, greater rank = smaller loot but greater xp.

Bugs Gunny
13-01-05, 11:57
Rhino drivers are the ones with the easy life.
They just sit there, driving around, getting mad mad xp, and from time to time they get out, click rhino a few times and guess what .... they get some more mad mad xp.

My droner drives a rhino, just so he can level a lot faster in case there is a gunner wanting to level.

Other than that, get a good stealth, go to el farid, queen room, get behind wall and launch aoe drones on the queen.

Dribble Joy
13-01-05, 12:44
Try a different place to hunt, or vary your hunting areas while out killing.
Mindlessly doing the bunker or WBs in the MB area is bound to get anyone bored. Go out and find some fire mobs, find some isolated DoY bots and kill them.

Try something different, even if it doesn't get you any xp initially due to failure. You will stay bored unless you change what you are doing.

LiL T
13-01-05, 12:55
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat atm I got a droner / constructer I need 16 more INT and DEX lvls too cap. Fuck its boring as hell but I want it capped badly

MISS WHIP
13-01-05, 13:26
If I want reliable solo leveling, I can go to the bunker, and race everybody else chasing the same three to five cyclops launchers that are always there. I can't be the only one who thinks this way; you wouldn't believe the number of rank */50 to */60 characters I see there. Do you know how disconcerting it is to see characters with level 2 power armor and rare weapons hunting level 50 mobs?

"To set the record straight the only way for example a spy can get psi exp is off missions and cyclops missions give the most exp, i know because i used to piss the low level guys off with my 65/55 spy using a silent hunter that kills a cyclops in two shots :lol: :lol: "

by the time I come out of the hack screen 15 seconds later someone's trying to blow up my bike.

" :lol: :lol: LOL :lol: :lol: was not me but LOL anyway"

It took me more than a year to cap my rifle spy but a character that can use good AOE can gain exp and cash big time...
Took 3 weeks to cap my droner......el-farid/graves but yes it does get a bit boring....

Darak
13-01-05, 14:49
If you just want enough dex to get on the HL/warbot train then there are other spots that spawn lots of cyclops. Such as the buildings on the road east of battledome.

hegemon
13-01-05, 17:25
With all three characters, I can hunt warbots solo (although it's pointless for the constructor, since he can't hack). But I spend roughly half of my time just pointlessly driving my motorcycle around or running around the same terrain, either at the Military Base or at Battle Dome, hoping for one to spawn and for me to see it before it sees me.

When leveling my sniper solo, warbots are the best. But definitely not in the places you mention. Run around the map a few times and maybe you'll find better areas.

The MB bunker is one of the worst places to level on cyclops (unless you're a ppu or can't do them alone) and MB and Battledome are the worst places for warbots. A good indication that a place is bad is that "everyone else goes there".

BradSTL
13-01-05, 21:12
Well, yeah, I know a couple of spots that reliably spawn higher numbers of Warbots than the bunker and battledome. The problem there is that they spawn them way, way too close together. With a single flight of an MR-1000 Advanced Support Drone (the guided missile one), I can effortlessly kill a single Warbot Titan and its whole freaking entourage. With a belt full of MR-1000s, I can survive having to kill two at once, both of which come with an entourage. But if a third one spawns, or is close enough to respond? Screwed.

Besides, there just aren't enough sectors in this game with access to a genrep, a vehicle garage, and an all-buyer. If I'm going to drive around hunting for warbots, I really, really want there to be a place in the same zone where I can retreat to repair the vehicle, and if I'm going to do it for any serious amount of time, I'm going to want a place to dump the 2x2 junk (money) that builds up in my inventory. Not to mention, when things like 3 or 4 warbots show up at once and I miraculously survive, I need a place where I can replace the drones I lost doing so.

*shrug* This isn't a rant about lack of variety. It's a rant about too much downtime per leveling time. Every other night, I see somebody spamming every channel trying to find a group for the Outdoor Caves at Cycrow. Every other night or so, I see at least one Rhino driver looking for a gunner. You know what? I imagine those people would rather be actually leveling up than having to spend half or more of their gaming time that evening trying to persuade someone to help them level up.

MeWhiteWolf
14-01-05, 02:58
they should give the red car a boot, capable of holding a stack of something -ammo - stacked drones(I know store bought - ewww - but it'd help) - health - psi boosters....
would mean we'd see more of em and would help in this sort of situation

sultana
14-01-05, 03:14
I got my rifle spy to level 1 pa off warbots, using a tl 62? pulselaser rifle, might have been tl 70-something, I don't know. Went to el faird, zoned east once and hunted doy bots with a pain easer, I was lucky cause a had a friend who was ppu online at that time. But there's always places to hide around there. Once i could use RoG I hit Escador Oasis, soloed that for about 5 weekends and I capped dex. This was all in nc1 btw :p It's easier when your pro doy or CM, as the doy bots won't shoot you till you shoot them :)

Masentaja
14-01-05, 10:41
Well, when I capped my rifle spy I did like this
to base 85 dex or so, firemobs with team.
Then Soloing in gravis uplink swamp caves rest of the dex, took time? Yes. But it was worth it. When you hit like 92 base dex, try to aim your goal one dex per day (or more if you feel like it), and you cap your dex in no time :)

Should be MUCH MUCH easier as droner to cap your char. Try rifle and your head blows in boredom

LiL T
14-01-05, 15:53
Yeah I'm kind of in the same boat atm I got a droner / constructer I need 16 more INT and DEX lvls too cap. Fuck its boring as hell but I want it capped badly

13 more lvls of intel and dex to go woohoo :p very instence lvling infact the most I have done in a long time. I think spys are the hardest to cap imo use the fusion AOE drones, till you can use the punisher as they do more damage than the ray cannon drones. Don't do the graves !! it will drive you fukin insane the posion bounces your drones all over the place :mad:

Bugs Gunny
14-01-05, 16:04
Do juggernaut facility and stock up your gogo with drones.
Another good one is still el farid, even with the pits closed off, stealth will get you in there and there's a nice wall to hide behind.

Also, H12 inside the tower is great if you're assisting someone else that's looting the mobs.

I still have 21 dex levels to go, and this rate i'd say i'll be leveling that droner another two three months. I jsut can't be bothered to level him for hours on end. It's even more boring than doing cave runs on a tank.

Actualy i don't think i'll ever cap that droner, just get him up to raptor level and then go pvp.