PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] Unique epic items

Brammers
11-01-05, 19:40
I've been thinking about epic items. Would it be cool to have an epic item named to the player who did the epic. So instead of the current generic names like.

T-Haven CPU
MOVE-On Cpu
Tangent Speed Gun
NCPD - Powerarmor
Reveler Chaincraft V.2.5
..etc

It would be stamped with your name so. (Almost like 4 slot+ constructed item's)

Brammer's T-Haven CPU
Brammer's MOVE-On Cpu
Brammer'sTangent Speed Gun
Brammer's NCPD - Powerarmor
Brammer's Reveler Chaincraft V.2.5

It would certainly make epic items a lot more unique and special. One problem with this if it was implemented would be what to do with existing items. I can sugguest three things.

1. All exisiting items left unlabeled.

2. If you have the item, it is labeled with your name, regardless if you dod the epic or not. So it's possible I could have 2 x Brammer's T-Haven CPU if I don't return the spare to the correct character.

3. If item tracking has been implemented in some way, then the item is labeled with the original player name who did the epic run. Result is, if someone buys one of my T-Haven CPU's it's going to be labeled Brammer's T-Haven CPU.

Tell me what you all think. :cool:

El Jimben
11-01-05, 19:58
No offence but who really gives a toss where it came from?

Ministry
11-01-05, 20:01
ya i kinda like it, its like in diablo 2 LoD exp, anyas quest enabled you to tag your name on to a specific weapon.

although this doesnt change the item in anyway, i like the idea.

Logan_storm_03
11-01-05, 20:09
yeah that would be very nice indeed.

Maester Seymour
11-01-05, 20:17
Nice idea :)

Little similar to Guildwars too, your armor and weapons get the "Customized for <char name>" tag on them.

Agent L
11-01-05, 21:30
I liked just naming after chat who did quest.
5 stars.

Mr Kot
11-01-05, 21:51
No offence but who really gives a toss where it came from?

Aww, don't be like that :( . Maybe nobody gives a toss about who builds a five slot CS, but it's still nice to give the maker some credit. Like fine antique pottery or furniture with the makers name engraved on it.

The epic item could be like a retirement present or an award of achievement from a company. Again, it will have an engraving like, "Presented to <runner x> in recognition of 25 years service."

I for one like the idea, but for those without a sentimental bone in their body, look at it as a step towards item tracking. It would stop the dupers / hackers / sploiters if a dozen "Brammers Techhaven CPUs" in circulation started alarm bells ringing.

If i lent my resistor chip to someone, i wouldn't know if it were switched with another before getting it back. I know it doesn't really matter, as they're all the same, but it matters to ME. It's MY reward that i earned. Maybe i'm being silly, but my name on my reward would give me some quiet satisfaction... not to mention the chance of recovery should it be lost.

sanityislost
11-01-05, 22:26
Damn sweet idea SiL's Move on....weee!

SiL ..:..

Xeron Brigs
11-01-05, 23:17
I really like that idea. It makes your character seem more appreciated by their faction. Oh, also this is a little off topic but they should really change the Diamond Real Estate epic item. The appartment does go with the faction but it should at least be better (Like a larger Vio Rosso level 3 apt.) I mean they did do all that work, they should get an actually apartment, not a storeroom.

Freaky Fryd
12-01-05, 00:19
my name on my reward would give me some quiet satisfaction... not to mention the chance of recovery should it be lost.

Well said, and I definitely agree.

Jesterthegreat
12-01-05, 14:27
Aww, don't be like that :( . Maybe nobody gives a toss about who builds a five slot CS, but it's still nice to give the maker some credit. Like fine antique pottery or furniture with the makers name engraved on it.

The epic item could be like a retirement present or an award of achievement from a company. Again, it will have an engraving like, "Presented to <runner x> in recognition of 25 years service."

I for one like the idea, but for those without a sentimental bone in their body, look at it as a step towards item tracking. It would stop the dupers / hackers / sploiters if a dozen "Brammers Techhaven CPUs" in circulation started alarm bells ringing.

If i lent my resistor chip to someone, i wouldn't know if it were switched with another before getting it back. I know it doesn't really matter, as they're all the same, but it matters to ME. It's MY reward that i earned. Maybe i'm being silly, but my name on my reward would give me some quiet satisfaction... not to mention the chance of recovery should it be lost.

wouldnt stop moveons... as i discussed with a dev in beta and he dismissed...

CMaster
12-01-05, 15:01
My player-made weapons DO say who built them, if I hold my mouse over for the tooltip. I see no reason why epic itemsshouldnt be the same.

Riddle
12-01-05, 15:18
No real point or else you will have about 8-10 move on whore names of mine floating about which i don't really care about :D

As for CST rares having a name tag , I think it's a great advertising ploy for constructors!

Transformer
12-01-05, 15:35
No real point or else you will have about 8-10 move on whore names of mine floating about which i don't really care about :D

As for CST rares having a name tag , I think it's a great advertising ploy for constructors!

Ya but all your characters don't have the exact same name do they? They'd be dedicated to each character, not the player.

Riddle
12-01-05, 15:49
Ya but all your characters don't have the exact same name do they? They'd be dedicated to each character, not the player.

No not the same names but names i dont care about, so why have names attributable to epics? to be honest i dont even care about my main chars having epics named after them.

Does it really matter who earnt it?
If it was a way of item tracking it wouldn't work as i could re roll then name the new char the same as the old.
Then there would be 2 that exist with the same name not exploited but earnt.

[VP]Orion
12-01-05, 16:42
I think its completely uninteresting to know whoever completed the epic. And if I had bough an epic from someone (which I have) then I wouldnt want that persons name on it.

Its ABIT difference there... To make 5 slotted CSs it takes skill and a shitload of luck. To complete an epic, well, it doesnt really require anything except a skillvl of a low/midlvl and nothing else.

Well, if THIS was the case, then it would have been a totally different thing. But its not. Now people factionhop around making epics to get items. Which is the opposite of what you just said. If epicitems was something you got after having been in that faction for x months, then sure, Id agree completely.

This isnt even worth commenting...

Brammers
12-01-05, 18:39

This is the whole and simple aim of my idea. It also proves you actually went and did the epic, rather than buy or trade for the epic item. It has other bonus points of stopping possible duping, and increase recovery chances of the epic item should it be stolen. This can only be good for the game.

As the for labeling of the reward, well that seems to be up for debate. The one slight problem with putting the character name at the begining of the reward is in the case of long character names. I remember a while back there was a problem with MC5 ATP parts being difficult to trade, as they could not see the actual name of the MC5 part. Although from the stats and information this is not much of a problem, as one should be able to tell if it is a MOVE-ON or a a T-Haven CPU

I do like Mr Kot's idea of labeling an item such as "T-Haven CPU presented to Brammers by the Fallen Angels", which just as equally (If maybe better) gives the runner the sense of achievement of completing the reward.

One slight problem is the Black Dragon and Twilight Guardian epics which you get a lifetime supply of drugs or grenades. But "Brammer's Redflash" works so runners know who to get their 'fix' from and for "Brammer's Freedom strike grenade", well I'm sure TG's would like to leave their calling card!

Jesterthegreat
12-01-05, 21:46

if i wanted i could have as many as i could be bothered to get on the same name (and no not rerolling).

i pointed it out in beta but no one seemed to care.

Mr Kot
12-01-05, 21:47
Orion']Now people factionhop around making epics to get items. Which is the opposite of what you just said. If epicitems was something you got after having been in that faction for x months, then sure, Id agree completely.
I think i ruined the analogy by referring to "runner x". I was talking about a real life award from a real life company. The analogy was meant to refer to an NC company giving a reward for completing their task or "saving the day". I shouldn't have confused this with length of service.

Orion']This isnt even worth commenting...
Sorry to quote a premenstrual woman here, but "You just don't understand."

It also proves you actually went and did the epic, rather than buy or trade for the epic item.

Yeah, that's what i was trying to say. People say that faction hoppers are backstabbers and disloyal. Maybe true if u change alliances between pro and anti city, but can anyone out there say with hand on heart that they have worked for the same company all their life in real life without ever working for someone else or even considered it for the remuneration?