PDA

View Full Version : Oh for [Crahn's] sake

Xeno LARD
11-01-05, 03:57
Oh for fuck sake. I never fatal, never!. However...

Today I started to play my hyb a bit more (he was x/4 when I logged on today). Playing down in the aggressor sewers in Plaza2 I've fataled no less then 14 times in the space of 4 hours, HOW, WHY? Arrgh.

I have fataled about 10 times in the whole of NC apart from this. Any idea why? Some mapping issue I suppose. :S.

[VP]Orion
11-01-05, 04:05
No, you are just not meant to make a hybrid. :D

Xeno LARD
11-01-05, 04:06
Fair enough, I hate em too. Just so I can level enough for a PPU, which is what he's going to be one day.

[VP]Orion
11-01-05, 04:09
I dont hate hybrids, I just find it kinda boring that "everyone" makes a hybrid nowadays.

Vanten
11-01-05, 04:26
instead of FREs i get syncs all the time now. grrr :mad:

Terayon
11-01-05, 04:28
I have a little theory that upload and dload rates from the server for player positions may be causing this. Where as you receive data from the servers on where things must be drawn, which is sent to the videocard, then the card then looks at it and tries to draw it. If the information was corrupt, or way to much information, or to little the card cant draw it correctly and instant error.

I was playing CS the other day when someone showed me how to lower my ping from 45 to 5. I tried it and it worked, not that it makes much of a diffrence. Then i kept crashing becouse of the problem mentioned above.

I should make a thread on fatals where everyone lists their system specs, and what kind of networking equipment they have on their connection, along with where everyone lives and their ping.

Im probably completely wrong, but ya i thought i may aswell mention it. And BTW no, i barely know what im talking about.

Xeno LARD
11-01-05, 04:43
I have a little theory that upload and dload rates from the server for player positions may be causing this. Where as you receive data from the servers on where things must be drawn, which is sent to the videocard, then the card then looks at it and tries to draw it. If the information was corrupt, or way to much information, or to little the card cant draw it correctly and instant error.

I was playing CS the other day when someone showed me how to lower my ping from 45 to 5. I tried it and it worked, not that it makes much of a diffrence. Then i kept crashing becouse of the problem mentioned above.

I should make a thread on fatals where everyone lists their system specs, and what kind of networking equipment they have on their connection, along with where everyone lives and their ping.

Im probably completely wrong, but ya i thought i may aswell mention it. And BTW no, i barely know what im talking about.

Data is not sent directly from the net to the card + the card has gigabytes of bandwidth at it's disposal. The server tells the client who (and where) a player is, what health he is at etc. This is true for the mobs aswell. Now, when you attack a mob the client calculates your setup, how your weap is modded and how much dmg you do to the mob and displays it, then sends it to the server. Rinse, repeat.

When you move the client sends data to the server on your position and where you're looking etc (so it knows where to tell the other clients, hense lots of people looking up in the air when they zone out of the aggis).

Umm, yeah. So no, sorry.

[Edit: rates on CS just send more info to the server, this just wastes bandwidth and although it makes your ping appear faster, it rarely has any positive effect. 25000 should be good enough.]

Vithar
11-01-05, 06:51
Please do not use profanity in thread titles.

V

japata
11-01-05, 09:14
Lol yeah. Neocron seems to be somewhat borked nowadays. For some strange reason I started getting the rubberband effect after the Christmas Crash. This time it's not occasional. It happens EVERY time I zone in or out of a dungeon, outpost underground or MC5. Kinda adds a nice flavour to MC5 bitching. :p

If anyone has any ideas how to fix this, please share. I am currently running nc on 3,4GHz P4 and Radeon x700pro. Tried over and underclocking, changing drivers, reinstalling... just about everything. :)

ed. and sorry for thread hijacking :p

[VP]Orion
11-01-05, 09:29

Nice! He showed you how to go around the world and replace all the fiber connections with faster ones? Not bad, not bad at all...

Thing is, the biggest part of your ping isnt in your own computer but instead out on internet. When you send packets to a server it passes several routers and several connections between the routers before it finally reaches the server. It takes time for your packets to move this far, alot more time than it takes inside your own computer . :p

My point is, you cant really affect the ping, this youre getting is just a "happy figure".

Lol yeah. Neocron seems to be somewhat borked nowadays. For some strange reason I started getting the rubberband effect after the Christmas Crash. This time it's not occasional. It happens EVERY time I zone in or out of a dungeon, outpost underground or MC5. Kinda adds a nice flavour to MC5 bitching. :p

If anyone has any ideas how to fix this, please share. I am currently running nc on 3,4GHz P4 and Radeon x700pro. Tried over and underclocking, changing drivers, reinstalling... just about everything. :)

ed. and sorry for thread hijacking :p
My bet is that you are running Omega Drivers. If you are, turn on VSync and you'll be fine.

japata
11-01-05, 09:46
Tried with ATI's own drivers, with and without vsync with both drivers. Nothing helps. Things got a bit better when I increased my resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x960(or something like that) and forced antialiasing on. Now the rubberband lasts only about 10-15s. :wtf:

netster
11-01-05, 10:35
Now the rubberband lasts only about 10-15s. :wtf:
the rubber holds me about 5secs, omegadrivers, no vsync, 1280x1024, no AA,9800pro

SorkZmok
11-01-05, 11:09
Fair enough, I hate em too. Just so I can level enough for a PPU, which is what he's going to be one day.Uh, powerlevel him up so he can use blessed spells, then go ppu and you can powerlevel with my tank and spy then. We really need more not capped ppus. :lol:

11-01-05, 12:28
I never fatal when I play on my WinME machine, only when I play on my XP box

Terayon
11-01-05, 12:44
Man im terrable at posting. I can never realy show what i mean.

My ping may have showed as 5 in the scoreboard but according to net_graph 4 my ping was actualy 45 still. No idea whats with that.

Anyways what i realy did was upload way less information to the server and receive way more information aswell. All that without any increase in choke or loss. The problem is my computer couldent handle it. I was trying to receive information 101 times a second and sending my information 10 times a second. When i increased the information i was sending, cs no longer crashed.

Why you may ask? Becouse aparently videocards have a buffer on them. This buffer has 2 sides that sort of flip. On one side there is a frame of the image you are currently viewing, and on the other is the next frame being drawn. (maybe i got the name wrong though, but its somthing like this)

In counter-strike, i got an error that said "invalid frame bla bla bla" I just figured maybe thats part of the problem with fataling. I mean fatal runtime errors can be anything right? I dont know realy, but the crash just felt like a fatal in neocron. No warning and instant. It actualy made me think of neocron when it happened.

of course i have no idea how this all realy connects so realy its just me ranting on about somthing i have no idea about. Im interested in learning so if someone wants to correct my sorry ass, just do it.

Jesterthegreat
11-01-05, 14:19
the rubber holds me about 5secs, omegadrivers, no vsync, 1280x1024, no AA,9800pro

the rubber band is odd... i no longer get it in aggies but i get it in swamp caves :p

Xylaz
11-01-05, 19:22
I've fataled no less then 14 times in the space of 4 hours, HOW, WHY? Arrgh.

I have fataled about 10 times in the whole of NC apart from this.

Well, i can only say i'm FREing on average more in one hour of playing than you in your whole NC history. You dont have the right to complain :p