PDA

View Full Version : Dome of York Normal & Large Apts (pics)

BradSTL
09-01-05, 22:22
I had occasion to need some cabinets for my constructor alt, so I had a friend with real money buy me a couple of Dome of York apartments. Since I'd never seen them and was curious enough to spend (somebody else's) money, I ordered a medium and a large, both in the same sector with my previous main apartments, to make it easy to move stuff between cabinets.

The Dome of York Small apartment is the one that everybody knows from the screenshots that go back to when Neocron 2 was vaporware, and which everybody hates ... ugly, awkward layout, verminous, and a huge crack in the ceiling that lets the rain poor in. So I didn't bother screenshotting it.

The Normal apartment runs about 350k before any barter skill discount; I think it's about 2/3 of that if you're willing to accept a random location. (But who is?) It comes with the usual minimal amenities: GoGuardian, medical bed, and desk with Wireless Resistance Network Terminal. It has five working cabinets. (As with the small apartment, is also has a ton of wooden boxes, none of which are usable.)

Screenshot 1 below shows you the entryway as seen from the elevator. Two thoughts immediately jump to mind: (1) wow, wooden paneling, a step up, and (2) uh oh, this place looks like it's been wrecked, too. Both guesses are accurate. Screenshot 2 is shot just inside the door, facing back towards it, and shows the rickety beat-up stairs leading to the upper level. Also visible on screen are vermin. Yep, this one has mice, too. Screenshot 3 shows the downstairs main room. GoGuardian is on the left, Wireless R.N Terminal (with damaged holoscreen, but it works) is on the right, 3 cabinets against the far wall. Note the huge gaping hole in the ceiling, and the fallen ceiling pieces which have knocked over the table and half of the chairs, rendering those 3 remaining chairs totally useless. (continued)

BradSTL
09-01-05, 22:28
(continued)

Screenshot 4 shows the landing at the top of the stairs I showed you in screenshot 2, looking back towards the stairs from the GenRep ... and towards the gaping hole in the wall. Hey, good news and bad news. The good news is, this place used to have a window view. The bad news is, that window didn't fare so well when the bomb went off. Screenshot 5 shows the view out through the hole. Finally, screenshot 6 shows the upstairs room, clearly intended as a bedroom. It has the medical bed, 3 working cabinets, a crack in the floor (that obviously lines up with the one in the ceiling below), and not much else; there's room to decorate up here, if you wanted to I guess.

If an undecorated version of this apartment were available, so we could get rid of the mess in the downstairs main room, this apartment would be pretty livable. As it is, the jumbled furniture makes this one only really useful for storage. It's better than the small apartment, but not very much.

(continued ... next, Large apartment)

BradSTL
09-01-05, 22:33
(continued)

The Large Dome of York apartment runs about 560k before barterer discount, and again, I think it's about 2/3 of that price if you're willing to have a random location. This is the best you can find in the Dome, how the minor nobility of the Dome live, the big swinging dicks. It's a dump. It makes the Pepper Park normal apartment look like the Plaza or Via Rosso large.

Let's start with the fact that it's a pain in the neck to get in or out of. When you exit the elevator, you're faced by a blocked doorway with a broken door interface (see screenshot 1). See that hole in the wall on the left? Duck through there, and there's a "secret passage" stairway that goes up to the floor above (screenshot 2). Work your way around the narrow ledge around the hole, and you find yourself in an identical elevator lobby (screenshot 3) ... but in this one, the inner door works but it's the outer door that's jammed.

(continued)

BradSTL
09-01-05, 22:41
(conclusion)

Once you finally get in, you find that you're on an upstairs balcony overlooking a lower room (screenshot 4). There's 3 working cabinets on the left, the genrep on the far wall, and two working Wireless R.N. Terminals at desks (with no chairs) in a niche on the right. On the left past the cabinets is the ramp that circles down to the lower level.

On the lower level (screenshot 5) you'll find facilities that make it pretty clear that this was intended as a clan HQ: two GoGuardians, three medical beds, and two tables with six working chairs at one of them and four working chairs at the other. At the foot of the ramp from upstairs there's another three cabinets. If you go to the center of the room and look up through the dusty beams of sunlight (dimmed to brown by the constant clouds left over from the explosion, I guess), you see (screenshot 6) why this apartment cost so much: you're actually indoors. The skylight windows actually have glass in them. (This hasn't kept the vermin out. Yes, this apartment has mice too, just not as bad as as the Normal and a lot less than the Small.)

If you crouch down and crawl under the ramp from the upper floor, you find another three semi-hidden cabinets (screenshot 7). So this apartment has a total of nine cabinets built-in. Notice that as with the other dome apartments (and for that matter, the military base ones) there are grafitti and junk and garbage and unopenable wooden boxes and the same stupid stacks of tires that don't fit any vehicle we've seen yet. I imagine that if you buy the unfurnished clan HQ version of this layout, you can almost make it look nice ... but only almost, it'll still be like putting lipstick on a pig.

09-01-05, 23:01
Nice one Brad

Do you mind if I nick all this info and screenshots for my guide site?

CMaster
09-01-05, 23:14
Wow, nice guide. I really like the effort and design work thats gone into these places, even if it means I wouldn't like to live there. The big room in the large appartment looks like it would make a good bsae of operations for some kind of poor resitance network, or hackers with true contempt for the desires of 'the meat'
Oh, and look here http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=120469&page=1 to see how to make DoY appts look better - basically hide the walls and floors.

BradSTL
10-01-05, 05:47
Nice one Brad

Do you mind if I nick all this info and screenshots for my guide site?
By all means, please do. It needs it.

Terayon
10-01-05, 06:11
If you buy a clean room where there arnt genreps and stuff, are there still piles of broken things all over? If there was that would be realy annoying....

Nice work though. First time i have seen some of those apts. That one where the ladder goes up to the apt looks realy good. Would hate to transfer items to it though.

edit: ug never bought a clean apt before..... well i hope to change that in 1-3 weeks.

Asurmen Spec Op
10-01-05, 06:13
If you buy a clean room where there arnt genreps and stuff, are there still piles of broken things all over? If there was that would be realy annoying....

Nice work though. First time i have seen some of those apts. That one where the ladder goes up to the apt looks realy good. Would hate to transfer items to it though. 1st if you buy a clean app there is a GR.
2nd yes the piles of rubble are there

BradSTL
10-01-05, 06:26

Nice work though. First time i have seen some of those apts. That one where the ladder goes up to the apt looks realy good. Would hate to transfer items to it though.

edit: ug never bought a clean apt before..... well i hope to change that in 1-3 weeks.
Judging by the "apartment decorating contest" screenshots in the thread linked above, the Dome of York unfurnished clan apartments (the only unfurnished apartments sold in the Dome, to my annoyance) do have grafitti and stains and such on the walls, and where there's rubble and debris from where the walls are crumbled or broken it's still there. But apparently the unfurnished versions don't have all of the wooden crates and old vehicle tires piled up everywhere, so at least you don't have to decorate "around" that.

Mr Kot
10-01-05, 13:59
Wow, great thread!

I really appreciate stuff like this. It's like try before you buy.

The large DoY apartment is exactly like the clan HQ i used to have there. The medium apartment does look almost habitable. It reminds me a little of an outzone apartment with the wooden panelling.

Does anyone remember the old outzone clan apartments from NC1? Crahn clans were there, not sure about BD and TS. Is this apartment still buyable in NC2, like as a large outzone apartment?

Is it also true that the large Techhaven apartment is the same as the old FA clan HQs of NC1 ?

Xeno LARD
10-01-05, 15:18
Wow, great thread!

I really appreciate stuff like this. It's like try before you buy.

The large DoY apartment is exactly like the clan HQ i used to have there. The medium apartment does look almost habitable. It reminds me a little of an outzone apartment with the wooden panelling.

Does anyone remember the old outzone clan apartments from NC1? Crahn clans were there, not sure about BD and TS. Is this apartment still buyable in NC2, like as a large outzone apartment?

Is it also true that the large Techhaven apartment is the same as the old FA clan HQs of NC1 ?

No idea, I might buy one (TH Large) soon, so I'll let you know!.

Dribble Joy
10-01-05, 15:19
I think it is....

10-01-05, 15:55
According to a source - the Outzone apartment is still available (from the smuggler in PP3 I believe) but the number of cabinets has been reduced from what it had in NC1

Skusty
10-01-05, 16:27
Yeah i think its a nice guide but... lol the large app i think it was whit the blowen wall and wrecked door and ladder to next floor whit gr. Aint that the DoY Clan apps? It is in my Apus crahn clan O_o :p sry but im new on forum :angel:

Mr Kot
10-01-05, 18:17

I already have one. I just never saw an FA clan appy in NC1 so i don't know whether its really new or not.

Tbh, it's not that special. It's really gloomy. I wish i could put more lighting in. I can buy lamps etc, but they dont really illuminate the walls and floor.

BradSTL
10-01-05, 20:04
The Large DoY Apartment is identical to the current BC, BD, FA, TG, & TS clan apartments.

Based on a set of screenshots I saw a couple of weeks ago, the Large TH Apartment is idential to the old (no longer available) FA clan apartments.

The last time I checked the apartment smuggler in PP3, he had four apartments available: small Pepper Park, normal Pepper Park (which is actually the largest), large Pepper Park (the 2-story one), and small Outzone (the old BC starter apt). To my moderate annoyance, you still can't specify which zone they're in. Which means if, like me, you're TS and you want a normal PP apt in PP3, the only zone you can reliably get to without at least a Stealth Activator II, you have no choice but to keep buying apartment keys and throwing them away until one of them comes up in PP3.

I really really wish they'd add three things to the apartment vendors, none of which would require any new coding as far as I know: unfurnished sector-specific normal Dome of York apartments, sector-specific Pepper Park apartments (furnished or unfurnished, preferably both), and sector-specific unfurnished Outzone apartments. But I guess that's a sentiment for BrainPort. And besides, none of those things are important to me; I'd rather they spent their time right now restoring the corrupt appearance database on Terra server then getting back to play-balancing HackNet.

jernau
10-01-05, 20:36
Brad remains the king of NC guides. Nice job as always.

Yes, TH Large is the old FA clan apt.

10-01-05, 21:15
and sector-specific unfurnished Outzone apartments.

I could be wrong but I thought you could only ever get OZ apartments in Outzone 1?

Or are there elevators in other Outzone sectors I'm not aware of?

Heavyporker
10-01-05, 21:51
Nice review, Brad.

- Yes, the TH level 3 apts are the old FA clan apts.

- Outzone apartments are ONLY in OZ 1. I know it looks like you *could* get them in OZ 6 (or is that three?) where there are the other Outzone apt lifts, near the Crahn Abbey, but these don't work, unfortunately.

- I may be wrong, but in the Secret Black D, isn't there a fence that sells specfied Pepper Park apartments?

- I'd hardly call the TH level 3 apt gloomy, but some lighting action from the pipes below (flashes and marquee-style wiring) would really jazz up the place!

superfresh
10-01-05, 22:57

Lvl 3 TH apartments (furnished) are indeed the same as the old FA clan apts.

Yes, TH Large is the old FA clan apt.

Doh.

zii
11-01-05, 01:29
in case no posted it, this link gives info about most apartments in the game.
http://freespace.virgin.net/ash.ridley/

BradSTL
11-01-05, 02:26
Nice review, Brad.
- I may be wrong, but in the Secret Black D, isn't there a fence that sells specfied Pepper Park apartments?
Huh. I learn something every day. Can anybody buy from him, or only BD members?