PDA

View Full Version : Levelling a mid-level monk (Suggestions please?)

Capt. Rik
08-01-05, 23:28
Well, the last 3 weeks i've levelled up an APU-based hybrid monk on Terra mainly inside the Dome. I've never played a monk properly before (always been a tank or PE)
I'm now "mid-level" and have decided to leave the dome in search of harder things to kill.

I've spent hours around J_09 - J_16 searching for mobs to kill and have come across a hand full of Terror Maulers, tons of crappy mobs and a shit-load of DoY bots (luckily i'm crahn!)

Basically i can handle any of these fairly easily in a one-on-one situation but if two or more gang up on me then i can't out heal them and get killed. The problem is that it takes me ages to find them and then longer to find them on their own.

To cut to the chase, i can now use Holy Energy Halo (i get Dam: 474%, Aim: 474%, Freq: 76/min and range 148m). I find that i do on average 70-120 damage per hit to a Terror Mauler.

I'm looking for somewhere that my guy can probably handle that offers higher level mobs than launcher cyclops (i've been killing them since /10)

Here's my char setup currently (thanks to NeoSkiller)
http://www.captainrik.net/ZapBranigan.htm

Any tips would be welcome :)

trigger hurt
08-01-05, 23:36
el farid.

shelter/heal/heal sanc. you can use some of the hiding spots to heal up.

Basically. Barrel the hell out of anything that moves. It's good xp and great cash.

Capt. Rik
08-01-05, 23:41
is it worth lomming some apu into ppu for heal sanctum and dropping holy energy halo then?

I have a built Energy Barrel spell i can use

Spermy
08-01-05, 23:51
Barrel @ Ceres labs - Lemme Know ingame on Ekuna and I'll see about bobbing down and teaming - it's mega XP

sanityislost
08-01-05, 23:54
El farid is the best place for apu's to gain xp.
Just jump to the top of the buildings and barrel like crazy till u need to heal up
Once you can pop a psi-core in goto the WoC leveling areas till cap

SiL ..:..

Spoon
09-01-05, 00:28
Barrel @ Ceres labs - Lemme Know ingame on Ekuna and I'll see about bobbing down and teaming - it's mega XP

*cough*
exploit

(btw,you guys forgot the multi-blast spells at the Labs)

If you still got your LE in, yeah, barrel the shit out of El Farid.....
If it's out, be careful of others being there.....

As for hunting fire mobs, some zones are easier to solo, since the mobs aren't grouped together(like Blackhill).....
And in addition to your holy energy halo, try to use the highest spell(even if it's a fire spell)you can for the best XP...
I've made the mistake of using the HEH for too long, and it hurt my XP gain...

Also..
No recycle?

Capt. Rik
09-01-05, 00:33
*cough*
exploit

If you still got your LE in, yeah, barrel the shit out of El Farid.....
If it's out, be careful of others being there.....

As for hunting fire mobs, some zones are easier to solo, since the mobs aren't grouped together(like Blackhill).....
And in addition to your holy energy halo, try to use the highest spell(even if it's a fire spell)you can for the best XP...
I've made the mistake of using the HEH for too long, and it hurt my XP gain...

Also..
No recycle?

Still LE'd so el Farid is safe. I've just literally met the reqs for HEH so it is the highest spell i can use. Damage is not great yet tho (probably cos of the PPU malus).

Oh and i've got a million in credits so haven't bothered with recycle... i'd prefer the AGL at the moment

Morganth
09-01-05, 01:10
There is no more PPU malus.

I'd recommend going El Farid at first, because at least in there if you get caught in a sticky situation you won't get killed in 2 hits. Also the cash is good in there.

Once you become bored, you can do WoC till cap. Or get in a team and go caving.

Spermy
09-01-05, 01:21
*cough*
exploit

Only if you don't open the door - I prefer to cast my barrels inside, from behind the fence, as a hybrid, I tend to find it easier surviving in there than an APU, even tho the majority of my Psi Distribution is PPU.

sultana
09-01-05, 09:41
There is no more PPU malus.

I'd recommend going El Farid at first, because at least in there if you get caught in a sticky situation you won't get killed in 2 hits. Also the cash is good in there.

Once you become bored, you can do WoC till cap. Or get in a team and go caving.
I think he means, having ppu as a subskill detracts from the amount of apu he can get.

I would suggest taking out that psi attack 2 chip as soon as you can, even now if you want, and just use a psi attack 2, that thing outdamages a HEH :rolleyes: When you can use holy energy barrel, go to the chaos caves and do them. It'll be easy being able to heal yourself. You won't be able to outheal the mobs, but its nice xp and cash, and theres a heap of places you can hide and heal up. I did it on an apu with just medkits :) The only problem is that mob at the start, but if you can't kill him just zone out and heal up then go back in. Remember don't heal before zoning...

Btw, you could lom out some psi power if you want in favour for more apu.

Capt. Rik
09-01-05, 10:43
I think he means, having ppu as a subskill detracts from the amount of apu he can get.

heh actually i meant the other meaning that having some points in PPU ives you like -30% on your APU spells or something. Didn't realise they'd nerfed it completely. I thought they'd reduced the penalty

PPU Damage: 0.65(65%) PPU + 0.35(35%) PPW + -0.3(-30%) APU

APU Damage: 0.65(65%) APU + 0.35(35%) PPW + -0.3(-30%) PPU

Out of date?

Edit:

Removed the PSI hybrid penalty (having a high APU skill reduced the effectiveness of PPU and vice-versa). This penalty was only 5% and the "new" PSI module requirements are quite effective regarding Hybrids.

Groovy :D

sultana
09-01-05, 11:59
:rolleyes:

still think you should take out that psi attack chip 2 :)

Capt. Rik
09-01-05, 12:30
:rolleyes:

still think you should take out that psi attack chip 2 :)

hehe point taken... is it worth putting something else in instead or just leaving the empty slot. I'm even tempted to lom away my PPU completely

Heading in game now to try out these suggestions...

Terayon
09-01-05, 13:09
Er thats the NC1 skilsguide. The nc2 guide isent a stickie for some reason. Just click here. (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=118196&highlight=skill+guide)
And yes thats out of date even for nc1. Just wondering, what damage % do you get? And whats your psi power?

Morganth
09-01-05, 13:10
hehe point taken... is it worth putting something else in instead or just leaving the empty slot. I'm even tempted to lom away my PPU completely

Heading in game now to try out these suggestions...

Well, if you stay hybrid then a PPr/MOVEON is good. If you can't get hold of one of them you could stick a Psi Memory chip in so you can reach the higher TL spells faster.

And of course if you go pure APU your imps should be: Psi Core, Attack 3, Attack 2, DS/Exp Psi Controller 3

Capt. Rik
09-01-05, 13:19
Er thats the NC1 skilsguide. The nc2 guide isent a stickie for some reason. Just click here. (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=118196&highlight=skill+guide)
And yes thats out of date even for nc1. Just wondering, what damage % do you get? And whats your psi power?

See my first post and follow the link to my char setup. I just reach the reqs for HEH (with the PSI Attack 2 :( )

Edit:

Morganth, give me a shout when you're in-game next pls :)