PDA

View Full Version : TFT Monitors

Obsidian X
07-01-05, 06:40
I recently bought a 19" TFT monitor, everythings been going fine, except I've noticed theres a "ghosting" effect on animations, particularly when watching DVDs for example. Is there any way to improve this, is it becuase I have a shit monitor or is it just one of those things you get used to?

Any help is appreciated.

Toilet-Duck
07-01-05, 06:46
Its prob because of the monitor you have bought, its most likely not designed for games movies etc only for office use....

Have you tried the latest drivers?

Obsidian X
07-01-05, 07:20
Its prob because of the monitor you have bought, its most likely not designed for games movies etc only for office use....

Have you tried the latest drivers?

For my Video card or monitor? My monitor is only using a "Standard Plug and Play Monitor" driver... mebbe thats the problem? It didn't come with any drivers however.

Omnituens
07-01-05, 13:52
whats the responce time on it? 16ms?

check on the company's website to see if they have drivers.

Obsidian X
07-01-05, 13:56
whats the responce time on it? 16ms?

check on the company's website to see if they have drivers.

Yeah, 16ms. All the specs are here

http://www.digimate.co.uk/product_new/monitor/lcd/L-1919.htm

Can't seem to find any drivers here or on driverguide. Anyone any ideas?

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 14:39
ugh... thats why i refuse to get a TFT.

you need an expensive one to game (or do anything "quick")

Capt. Rik
07-01-05, 14:43

*pats* his shiny new BENQ monitor :D
http://www.benq-eu.com/Products/LCD/index.cfm?product=413

Obsidian X
07-01-05, 14:43

Yeah, I had a similar thought, but dismissed it as Old Wives Tales until now. Ah well, eye strain and dizziness ain't so bad when you get used to it :eek:

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 14:49
Yeah, I had a similar thought, but dismissed it as Old Wives Tales until now. Ah well, eye strain and dizziness ain't so bad when you get used to it :eek:

old wives know their shit tbh...

Spermy
07-01-05, 16:53
Response time: 16ms

Not sure tho, so don't quote me on it, it's quite a dash slower than most.

Mr Kot
08-01-05, 04:40
I've used a 17" TFT since the start of NC.

No problems to report. I have even displayed test patterns etc. and i dont have single dead pixel :D

QuantumDelta
08-01-05, 07:46
http://www.iiyama.co.uk/default.asp?SID=&NAV=236&PROD=2298
<3<3<3<3<3<3

You will never, ever, look back.

And yea....max refresh.....120 ....o_o

edit;
Actually I think it'll refresh a lot higher than that, windows just doesn't acknowledge it....

jini
08-01-05, 08:11
Have you messed with refresh rates of your screen by any chance? If so leave it to 60 hz. and check again. Im not an LCD user myself, but I have seen a lot of bad effects when playing with refresh rates. @16 ms the monitor should be very fine with video playback. I have a 3 years old notebook and go t no prob from vid watching. No way its 16ms.
Don't think it's a problem of drivers, prolly something else.

-Demon-
08-01-05, 11:49
This is mine...

http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/lcd/l685.asp

Getting old now, but I got it cheap...retailed at around a 1000 pound I got mine for 300.

40ms so thats really high and never had any issues with blurring etc.

mishkin
08-01-05, 13:26
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/hitachi-cml174sxw/

Not too bad a monitor, and I never had any ghost-things... It performs alot better with the refresh at 60Hz, than the maximum 75Hz though... Don't know why o_O

Don't like watching dark movies on it, because it's kinda dark, and when low-res images stretch out over it, they get kinda blurry... (known fact with lcds :) )

Morpheous
08-01-05, 19:36
Samsung SyncMaster 152v- excellent piece of kit with decent gaming capability and nice refresh rate/response time. Only time i've seen ghosting is when I was compiling the 2.6 kernel over SSH..... but I get that on a nice CRT too.

Spermy
08-01-05, 19:41
I dunno why, but I can't be doing with TFTs, Not entirely sure why, but I always prefer using a CRT

Obsidian X
08-01-05, 22:50
Well afaik mine only supports 60Hz and 75Hz refresh rates. Not sure but I have reason to believe it ghost a little more in 75Hz, though again can't be sure. Gonna try running a lower res, see if that helps the problem.

Jesterthegreat
09-01-05, 00:05
I dunno why, but I can't be doing with TFTs, Not entirely sure why, but I always prefer using a CRT

ditto... always prefered CRT's.

however im currently using a shit 15" Dell monitor... my PC cost me £25 then i spent hundreds upgrading.

still the origional keyboard and monitorthough.

got a keyboard just after xmas but left it at my dads... then he went abroard :mad:

jini
09-01-05, 11:02
CRTs might still have a tiiiny advantage over TFTs, but TFTs are catching that up fast. Benefits of a TFT are a lot more and I have also seen a lot of Pro Gfx people using them. TFT also seems to be the preffered technology over plasma as well, although this also needs more time to be clear. In the end I believe TFT will win against all these technologies.

In a desktop and particular for game/video watching I dont see why one should still use a CRT, if cost is no problem.

Monolithic
09-01-05, 14:20
Mostly for Quantum Delta, but also for others... many of these new monitors can manage very high refresh rates... like 300Hz plus.
However, the drivers will rarely let you get to 200Hz. The reason is because of some experiments performed. A small number of people display symptoms of Hypsarrhythmia or Epilepsy when using monitors with refresh rates over 200Hz. Its not been established why, but manufacturers unstandably don't want people have fits and seizures when using their equipment so they limit the refresh rates in the drivers.
I think there is a way to get around the 120Hz limit in Windows by messing about with registry values. Or was that in ye olde Win98?

Jesterthegreat
09-01-05, 15:11
CRTs might still have a tiiiny advantage over TFTs, but TFTs are catching that up fast. Benefits of a TFT are a lot more and I have also seen a lot of Pro Gfx people using them. TFT also seems to be the preffered technology over plasma as well, although this also needs more time to be clear. In the end I believe TFT will win against all these technologies.

In a desktop and particular for game/video watching I dont see why one should still use a CRT, if cost is no problem.

meh... i have no space problems and intend to rebuild my entire pc... i dont wanna spend loads on a tft when a crt will dothe job just as well (maybe better) for less money.

eLcHi
09-01-05, 15:20
I was a very big fan of CRT`s ... i still have a Iiyama 22" Monitor but i don`t use it.

I bought a Iiyama ProLite E481S which is a 19" TFT Display ... no Problems with ghosting but maybe i`m too old ;)

But i also needed the TFT because not even a 17" can fit onto this desk :/
(I moved to my gf`s place - lil cramped here ;) )

At work i got upgraded from a Iiyama 19" (still use it as 2nd Monitor now) to a 20.1" Dell TFT with 1600*1200

Ok i don`t game with it but for normal stuff it`s perfect

QuantumDelta
09-01-05, 15:51
You can probably do it in XP too, it was just a lot easier in 98.....ahh.....98....the OS that made sense......

jini
09-01-05, 16:42
Mostly for Quantum Delta, but also for others... many of these new monitors can manage very high refresh rates... like 300Hz plus.
However, the drivers will rarely let you get to 200Hz. The reason is because of some experiments performed. A small number of people display symptoms of Hypsarrhythmia or Epilepsy when using monitors with refresh rates over 200Hz. Its not been established why, but manufacturers unstandably don't want people have fits and seizures when using their equipment so they limit the refresh rates in the drivers.
I think there is a way to get around the 120Hz limit in Windows by messing about with registry values. Or was that in ye olde Win98? Even though I don't uynderstand why one should try refresh rates more than 85Hz, can you point us who/where is this theory of epileptic crisis documented?

CMaster
09-01-05, 17:08
OK, refresh rates aren't such a big issue with TFTs. With a CRT, 60hz is quite slow, often with a perceptible flicker. Howerver, a TFT is on all the while, hence no flickering. As for ghosting - its just the monitor, tbh. The quoted response times seem to have nothing to do with ow bad the lag is. I've had no problem with any of my monitors, but go into PC World (or whatever your equivilant is) and look at all the TFTs lined up. Some will be hugely worse than others - and its often not those with the lowest quotes response tims. The only solution is read reviews before you buy.
Oh, and TFTs do one thing better than CRTs - provided you are in the native resolution, TFTs are incredibly sharp.

jini
09-01-05, 18:39
plus a lot less radiation/heat, and a lot more contrast

Monolithic
09-01-05, 18:44
The thingy about the 200Hz plus was from my psychology module that I had to do as part of my degree. It was in some text-book I can't remember the name of with references to studies that there is no way I can recall after all these years. Try some web searches if you want some details. I'm sure its out there somewhere :)
The studies never had any conclusive results though. So no-one is sure if going over 200Hz is bad. There is no reason why it should be bad as the receptors in the eye (in theory) cannot respond that fast so should not react in any way.

Terayon
09-01-05, 20:27
Well i could have bought a nice 15" TFT moniter. But i bought a 21" trinitron becouse of the picture quality. TFT's are great becouse the viewable image is usaly about as large as it says where as my 21" may have 19.5" or 20" viewable. Also.... its alot nicer to bring one of those to lan parties. Ug, my monitor weighs like what... 45kg? Somthing like that.

jini
10-01-05, 09:10
The thingy about the 200Hz plus was from my psychology module that I had to do as part of my degree. It was in some text-book I can't remember the name of with references to studies that there is no way I can recall after all these years. Try some web searches if you want some details. I'm sure its out there somewhere :)
The studies never had any conclusive results though. So no-one is sure if going over 200Hz is bad. There is no reason why it should be bad as the receptors in the eye (in theory) cannot respond that fast so should not react in any way. Exactly my point.
Furthermore, I really doubt card electronics can go that far. There's no point and there's the cost factor as well. So we must accept that this is untrue..