PDA

View Full Version : Leveling a ppu.

hegemon
05-01-05, 08:52
A while ago I decided to kill one of my chars to try out a ppu and learn their limitations. In a spur of masochism, I decided to stop being a hybrid and go pure ppu when I could use the blessed heal, hoping that people would appreciate a ppu when leveling.

I was wrong. Noone wants to level with a ppu. They'd rather die than to have me in a team. Literally. I was at mb bunker today. There was a group of people there, incidentally, everyones combat rank was within teaming range for me. I ran around for a few minutes, buffed and healed people, apparently it was appreciated because people waited for me to finish buffing them. But noone accepted a team invite from me. A warbot spawned just outside the bunker. I told everyone that I won't heal them until I'm in a team. Noone reacted. I ran away pissed off more than ever. The _exact_ same thing happens a few hours later. Warbot kills three people. I stayed punching on it with my knuckles and gaining consitution until some higher level char showed up and finished it.

I don't get it. Do people really want to rather die than to share some experience with a ppu that will make their killing easier, safer and faster?

In three days (5-8 hours logged in as the ppu) I went from 41 to 42 int and 58 tp 59 psi. I'm gaining more levels in dex, str and con at this moment.

Polar
05-01-05, 09:00
wellcome to NC.

Terayon
05-01-05, 09:14
take command more. dm some of them and make yourself known. start punching them if you have to and generaly annoy everyone tell they answer you. often teams are full and people wont say anything unless you bug them. make your own team if you want. i had the same problem as a ppu, but i managed to overcome it. lvled as a pure ppu since i created my char and lvling was great. also lots of people just dont notice text becouse they are busy trying to get more hits in then everyone else. its like a friggin race. so ya bold text stands out a fair bit aswell.

PcP'
05-01-05, 10:14
take command more. dm some of them and make yourself known. start punching them if you have to and generaly annoy everyone tell they answer you. often teams are full and people wont say anything unless you bug them. make your own team if you want. i had the same problem as a ppu, but i managed to overcome it. lvled as a pure ppu since i created my char and lvling was great. also lots of people just dont notice text becouse they are busy trying to get more hits in then everyone else. its like a friggin race. so ya bold text stands out a fair bit aswell.

don't punch them. Dmg boost and para them and see if they remember u then

eLcHi
05-01-05, 10:14
WTF what are the nibs up to these days ?

I would greatly appreciate a PPU even if he only uses blessed heal ... he can rez so he`s a big addition to the team ... but sorry, i only have high-level chars atm and ppuing for a Droner is kinda pointless ;)

If you`re AntiCity go to Canyon Reloading Point (CRP) and level in the Chaos Caves, the people there will appreciate a PPU. If you`re ProCity ... hmmm, you could go anyway but i can`t guarantee for your life ;)

SorkZmok
05-01-05, 10:27
Find a friend, team up, hit the swamp caves. Easy xp. All you gotta do is damageboost and heal once a while.
Later do CRP (if you can), otherwise doy tunnels lvl 1, then 2. Only needs one tank to clean em out easily.

Morganth
05-01-05, 12:35
Anytime I am at the bunker I always try and team everyone that is there.

I was levelling an un-LE'd character at the bunker a few days ago and had Sultana PPUing for me. Its great fun to be able to stand toe-to-toe with anything with holy buffs on as /45 :lol:

But basically if you want to get in the team, try and DM someone who can't see you are a PPU. I think they are more scared of you leeching as you are a PPU and less likely to need to run around doing stuff.

ArgieD
05-01-05, 12:48
You sick PPUs...... :eek:

You try to bully people into sharing their XP with you. Unless a guy actually asks for your spells, you have no right to demand sharing XP with him. I can't believe some of you recommended to attack them in order to persuade them to oblige. :mad:

You were talking about the MB bunker... I'm sure people can look after themselves against launchers and the occasional Warby :)

Just LOM to APU :lol:

Terayon
05-01-05, 13:07
Angie its not to force them to team you, its to let them know your a ppu looking for a team and to grab their attention for 5 seconds. If someone said "no we dont want you" for the team, then i would stop bugging them. You know damage boosting and parashocking isent lethal so long as the ppu isent a moron.

[VP]Orion
05-01-05, 13:19
Hmm, I read ArgieDs post and he's actually right. A PPU that would come and hit me trying to bully into sharing exp. Well, that would only make me attack his ass or totally refuse to team him. If he asked friendly that would be a different matter though. But if the team already have enough PPUs another one is totally useless and you cant really force a team to share their exp. Thats a choice you make when you start a PPU. Thats why many people start as hybrid or APU and LOM over when they are highlvl. But its still possible to lvl completely as PPU though you will always have the problem of finding teams.

A PPU is nice to have around since that enables you to take on harder mobs and stay toe-to-toe with them. Just that MB bunker aint one of those places when you need one. As a PPU you should rather do as other suggested, join a team at at Swamp or Chaos caves. El-Farid works well too.

Capt. Rik
05-01-05, 13:32
I'll team with you sometime if you want. I'm an APU hybrid around rank 34/32 at the mo. Pro-DoY but i'm not fussed who i level with (LE'd as well).

DM Zap Branigan in-game if you're interested

Spermy
05-01-05, 14:45
Ekuna - HYbrid, needs loving!

DM me in game.

ArgieD
05-01-05, 14:59
I wonder, who are your characters in Terra, Alexander?

Selendor
05-01-05, 15:48
You have other options, you could lom to APU and cap that way, then lom back to PPU at the end (you only lose 2 or so levels).

Regarding the bunker, I always found I got more xp from soloing there because too many people go afk or don't do enough damage and you end up giving away more xp than you get. Better still is to find a more quiet area for levelling, however as a PPU you don't have that luxury.

Spermy
05-01-05, 15:51
I wonder, who are your characters in Terra, Alexander?

I WILL END YOU! :mad:

Phayse/Pennance/Ekuna/Firewire/Voltage/Aerielle

garyu69
05-01-05, 15:53
I'd level with a PPU no problem, would rather level with one than not. At the moment my hybrid is staying as a more APU based rather than moving to PPU. Will probably go pure PPU once at a really decent level.

ArgieD
05-01-05, 16:12
I WILL END YOU! :mad:

Phayse/Pennance/Ekuna/Firewire/Voltage/Aerielle

OMG! If I die in-game to a runner called Aerielle I'd quit NC altogether :lol:

Warum bist du so agressive Alexander? I'm a nice chap if you get to know me. Pro-city, but nice.. :angel:

Spermy
05-01-05, 16:54
OMG! If I die in-game to a runner called Aerielle I'd quit NC altogether :lol:

Warum bist du so agressive Alexander? I'm a nice chap if you get to know me. Pro-city, but nice.. :angel:

Ich bin aggressive....

Just because...

DIE DIE DIIIIIE! Either that - or quit calling me that you slaaaag!

steweygrrr
05-01-05, 16:57
Call him Lix or Xander...he hates them :P

Hey Arge.....could be worst, you could be PK'd by Sparkle :angel: :lol:

hegemon
05-01-05, 17:02
Well, most people I see that are leveling a ppu are doing it in a pair with a friend. The problem with finding one in NC is that almost everyone who I talk to more or less regularly has already capped all his chars (because it's mostly people who hunt my spy when I stealth around in Plaza ;)).

I think this is part of a bigger problem, something that I've been ranting about on OOC yesterday. I think there are too many veterans in NC. People who've already done everything, who have all the rares and cash they'll ever need, who already have killed everything and if they happen to have a char that's not capped, they know plenty of teams that will help to skill up to at least PA level in a matter of hours. I can't compete with that. I'm struggling to catch up, but it's very hard. It seems that most other newbies have given up.

Another sad story here. My tank is 5 str levels from capping. Has good equipment, pretty good con setup, more or less maxed out x-ray and energy resists. Some ppu announces on TRADE that he's looking for a tank or apu to go for mc5. I DM him and say that I've never done it before, but it might be interesting. The answer is: no, he doesn't want to resurrect me all the time. He then continues yelling for someone to go to mc5 with him for another few hours. Instead of spending one hour teaching me how to survive in there, he'd rather spend a few hours spamming TRADE.

So I want to be a counter-voice to all the people with 4711 posts on the forums, who proudly announce in their sigs the 50 capped chars they have, who constantly yell for more high-level content. Veterans (or geriatrics as I'd like to call them) are blocking newbies from enjoying the game and all they do is to sit on various in-game chats and whine about how bad and boring everything is (like all geriatrics in all other games). I call for more anti-geriatric content. Mandatory LE when you reach combat rank over 60, exponential GRing fee, maximum level limit on MOVEON and PPR and other interesting chips, make mobs always aggro the highest level char in the area, property taxes, low-level rares, milky rens as WoC items. ;)

Ministry
05-01-05, 17:20
in my times of leveling at MB, i appreciate the PPU if they are there ,but ive never not been able to survive on my own, so i wouldnt go out of the way to team the ppu.

however if there was space in a team i would happily team them.

however in my experiences some "ppus" throw the odd buff here and there but other wise stand inside the bunker

Obsidian X
05-01-05, 19:10
A while ago I decided to kill one of my chars to try out a ppu and learn their limitations. In a spur of masochism, I decided to stop being a hybrid and go pure ppu when I could use the blessed heal, hoping that people would appreciate a ppu when leveling.

I was wrong. Noone wants to level with a ppu. They'd rather die than to have me in a team. Literally. I was at mb bunker today. There was a group of people there, incidentally, everyones combat rank was within teaming range for me. I ran around for a few minutes, buffed and healed people, apparently it was appreciated because people waited for me to finish buffing them. But noone accepted a team invite from me. A warbot spawned just outside the bunker. I told everyone that I won't heal them until I'm in a team. Noone reacted. I ran away pissed off more than ever. The _exact_ same thing happens a few hours later. Warbot kills three people. I stayed punching on it with my knuckles and gaining consitution until some higher level char showed up and finished it.

I don't get it. Do people really want to rather die than to share some experience with a ppu that will make their killing easier, safer and faster?

In three days (5-8 hours logged in as the ppu) I went from 41 to 42 int and 58 tp 59 psi. I'm gaining more levels in dex, str and con at this moment.

I know exactly what you mean hegemon. I transferred my pure PPU over from NC1 to NC2 at about skill level 30 (blessed Shelt, def, heal and normal rez). Problem was, noone wanted to know me. Team XP was crappy when people did want me around, the money was shite, and all in all I gained about one PSI level since starting NC2 with that char. Then I finally decided it wasn't working, I sold all my PPU gear, lommed as much as I could into APU, went and did aggie missions, bought more PPU loms with the money, rince, repeat, until I was pure APU. Now that char is about 84 base PSI, and I plan to lom him once capped.

A lot of people have got by levelling pure PPU characters, but my opinion is that the community is more unwelcoming and hostile these days. The best way to level a pure PPU is to get a friend to start a pure APU at the same time you start your pure PPU. That way you'll grow old together and level together.

I think its a different story when you're at the Holy buff level (LE'd or not, I'm seeing a lot more high level LE PPUs nowadays), but round about blessed level, you're not good enough for the high levels, yet you're not needed at areas like MB.

sultana
06-01-05, 08:27
I was levelling an un-LE'd character at the bunker a few days ago and had Sultana PPUing for me. Its great fun to be able to stand toe-to-toe with anything with holy buffs on as /45 :lol:
eer, that was you?

When I levelled my ppu on uranus, I was apu till like 80 base psi before I lomed to pure ppu, then I just caved with whoever was in the crp caves till I hit the cap, usually someone from my clan was there. My ppu on saturn was a ppu from the start, he got to about base 95ish psi before i got bored with him, what i did was just cst a heal, deflector and boosts, only 1 of each cause slots didn't matter then I went down into the aggies and ppu'ed whoever was there, then mb bunker and crp caves.

Now it's probably harder with the NC vs. DoY war, back in nc1 not many people cared who was in who's team, you's find all sorts in the crp caves and I was levelling with a hostile more often then not. What you should do is join a largish clan and just go levelling with them, swamp caves are nice for procity, and not many people use the other two chaos caves :rolleyes:

Or lom back to hybrid, blessed heal and psi attack 2/multi lightning bolt, or normal heal till you can use blessed. You can do doy tunnels, chaos caves, firemobs basically anything with that type of hybrid.

eprodigy
06-01-05, 08:30
however in my experiences some "ppus" throw the odd buff here and there but other wise stand inside the bunker

Problem is a PPU isn't really needed at the MB bunker for the most part, can be helpful but not required. And your right a lot of times the PPUs can be lazy, and end up leeching too much. Also I remember leveling a new char few weeks ago there was a new PPU there who refused to stop casting his SC even though it was attacking people leveling there. Flat out refused so we all left the team and remade without him ;)

The swamp caves with a melee tank is usually very good XP from blessed and up.

Xylaz
06-01-05, 09:16
@Hegemon

There are many ways to do it. Common psychology is a good way for that too - if u want someone to team you, DM him, do not talk on local as he might ignore you. If u manage to get one into team, tell him to move a little further for a warbot hunting, or announce it on local - i can guarantee more people will join. PPU has to be a commander at a times.
But anyways, with blessed buffs you can try crp caves as well, or just firemobs.

Another good thing is faction/alliance channel. Just spam occasionally that there is an xx/xx lvl ppu looking for a lvling team. I'm not sure how it works nowadays but for me it was always a good way to get some people. Granted, it was some time ago when i lvled a ppu last time.

And on the general notes, yes its true and its a common knowledge - NC2 is lacking of new people. That's the main reason of almost all the problems: you cannot get the items u want, u cannot get people u need, u cannot trade effectively as there is no one to trade with. Finally, you cannot lvl at good rate due to lack of new people. All main neocron's problems are in it.
I'm talking of new people here as old players usually have their ways to lvl, they have equipment, lots of money and - if needed - an assist of clan's ppu. They dont need anyone really as they can lvl a noob char from xx/1 to xx/50+ within a day or so.

And for the mc5 issue, its just pathetic. Dont tell them you are going there for the first time - with such attitude they dont deseve that knowledge at all.
Here's my guide to mc5: take a tank with malediction or doom beamer, full energy armor and go in. There is a small passage on the right with 2 small walls - there are your only cover. Stay there and start shooting with AoE. Tactic is to shoot them in such way so they wont accidentaly come to you. If they come close to the passage, shoot them from the other side etc. You can survive 2-3 shots with a ppu buffs on, so u got time for 3 shots on the open area, then cover, heal, repeat. Loot the commander, come out, get in, etc. MC5 isnt that hard (doy tunnels lvl 3, for example, are much harder) as it might seems, its just slow, tiresome and time consuming.
(just PM me if u need more tips)

Tantta
06-01-05, 10:50
i love to have some ppu love in el farid ;)
started new pure apu 2 days ago

Kopaka
06-01-05, 12:56
Anytime I am at the bunker I always try and team everyone that is there.

But basically if you want to get in the team, try and DM someone who can't see you are a PPU. I think they are more scared of you leeching as you are a PPU and less likely to need to run around doing stuff.

Sultana ppuing for an u4n?
omg.. i knew he was australian but this is even worse :p

jnky
06-01-05, 15:01
I have levelled 2 ppu's using the same method (nc1 & nc2)
APU up to haz3 HS ect then lom and hit the caves or use trade to find a lone apu.

In your case whereas your on blessed I recommend you get your ass to elfarid, if you find 1 or 2 apu's there within your rank in a few hours you will be getting all those lvl3's made then its off to CRP ect. One thing that really pisses me off about elfarid is the way peeps keep camping the queen and not allowing the upper level to reset grr, I dont like to join in on there fun in the queens room but if they dont allow the top level to reset what can you do.

Personally after over 2 years of this I prefere apu/ppu combo rather then team caving and if you learn to drive a 2 seater, ferrying an apu from mob to mob can be a lot of fun and most lucrative, its also nice to stop at the odd cave and do a quick run - My advice, befriend an Apu/hyb theres enough of em.
Canyon can be fun aswell wading through the firemobs in 3rd keeping your little Apu dude alive.