PDA

View Full Version : Computer question...

Token
02-01-05, 01:07
Okay first let me explain what i am playing on... I have an Intel 2.3 Ghz with 512 of ram on a laptop...

okay heres my problem.. since NC2 came out i have had to keep a fan on high blast over the computer or it would over heat when i play NC and some times if i am doing other stuff it would just over heat and shut down the laptop.

Now the question.. Did the NC2 instalization affect any settings or does it just require much more than NC1 and what can i do to keep it from continuing aside from my handy fan?

Capt. Rik
02-01-05, 01:09
Okay first let me explain what i am playing on... I have an Intel 2.3 Ghz with 512 of ram on a laptop...

okay heres my problem.. since NC2 came out i have had to keep a fan on high blast over the computer or it would over heat when i play NC and some times if i am doing other stuff it would just over heat and shut down the laptop.

Now the question.. Did the NC2 instalization affect any settings or does it just require much more than NC1 and what can i do to keep it from continuing aside from my handy fan?

tbh i'd be extremely surprised if NC2 is causing your problems. NC2 does have higher reqs than NC1 but they are not insanely higher.

Not sure what to suggest with regards to solving thew problem tho...

Lexxuk
02-01-05, 01:12
laptops naturally get hot thru normal use, I used to have a Celeron 800 with 256MB ram (couple of years ago :p) and if I left it on my lap, I'd get a really warm feeling between my legs after a while :angel:

So yes, it can get pretty damn hot down there, but if it is getting so hot it shuts down, you wanna take it back to where you got it, its f00ked

Capt. Rik
02-01-05, 02:08
Just a thought, make sure that your running the laptop using mains power rather then backup (my laptop doesn't last 10 minutes on batteries when playing games)

Also, try using it on a table or desk rather then your lap/bed etc.

Good Luck!

Token
02-01-05, 11:59
I have it on a desk atm on top of cd cases(2 under each corner)... and its not that its fooked but it gets hot and i think that i need to change some settings to do with processing.. it kinda acts as if the cpu has been overclocked and not had any extra coolage.. but I have not over clocked it and it has always been this way

Dribble Joy
02-01-05, 13:16
If it weren't for the mem leak and the other little problems that creeped in during the transition from closed to open beta, NC2 would actually have lower reqs than NC1.

Tostino
02-01-05, 16:47
If it weren't for the mem leak and the other little problems that creeped in during the transition from closed to open beta, NC2 would actually have lower reqs than NC1.
Yeah i loved how it ran in closed beta. it was smother and no fucking mem leak (that i could tell).

Terkantia
02-01-05, 16:55
I have it on a desk atm on top of cd cases(2 under each corner)... and its not that its fooked but it gets hot and i think that i need to change some settings to do with processing.. it kinda acts as if the cpu has been overclocked and not had any extra coolage.. but I have not over clocked it and it has always been this way

Laptops by design run much hotter. If it is shutting itself down, sometime is wrong with it. Get it serviced soon. Shutting itself down is a sign that the processor or such is getting SO hot (prob 120-135c) that it will dmg itself to keep functioning. IT mayb e something as simple as it needs a good cleaning, all the way up to the heatsink has partially removed itself form the proc.

In any event, get it checked now, if you enjoy using it that is. Cuz in a matter of seconds, it could decide not to work anymore . . . period.

8|

Tostino
02-01-05, 17:39
(prob 120-135c)
umm that is a little much :p the breaking point for a cpu is around 60c

QuantumDelta
02-01-05, 18:20
umm that is a little much :p the breaking point for a cpu is around 60c
75 is fine for most older AMDs(XP was the last).
They don't start to frazzle until about 85 ;)

Tostino
02-01-05, 18:53
I only have a P4 so i dont know about amd's. I should have said that 60 is the most you want to constantly run it at.

Xeno LARD
03-01-05, 00:45
A friends laptop had kept shutting down on her, after cleaning the shit out of the os (took fucking ages, let me tell you) and virii scanning it was fine.. then I put it on a desk. The fan intake was on the bottom of the unit.. right where your leg would go. It reset and.. bugger.

Dell laptop designs suck. Just lift the back up with some CD's or something. It'll be fine after a while :).