PDA

View Full Version : About Events - In regards to attendance.

Heavyporker
02-01-05, 00:56
What's this about needing advance notice of events?

I mean, up to a point, one does need to know about it... but as this is a persistent online world strongly rooted in roleplay, suprises should be part and parcel of the experience.

Meetings and conventions are announced in advance because people expected to attend need to know about them to prepare.

Why should attacks and assassinations and such be announced in advance?

Why should sudden surges in creature or robotic populations be announced?

Hell, the neocronicle, in it's heyday, aside from outright announced events, strongly hinted when there might be events to participate within the storyline.

Nowadays.... does it have to be spelled out when and where some sort of "unexpected" phenomenon will occur, just so someone shows up?

Lexxuk
02-01-05, 01:14
Probably as lots of people may not then know about the event and either moan that (a) there are no events or (b) that they never know about events, its kind of a lose/lose situation

jernau
02-01-05, 03:25
As with many things, population is a big part of the problem. If there were enough people playing for a reliable word-of-mouth system then maybe announcements would be less of a necessity. As it is with the amount of people playing and the way they are playing it is vital that events are announced.

Dribble Joy
02-01-05, 03:49
Highly structured and advertised events also alow a far larger degree of vulnrability for cunts to deliberately plan and excecute disruptions.

Seven
02-01-05, 04:51
Highly structured and advertised events also alow a far larger degree of vulnrability for cunts to deliberately plan and excecute disruptions.

They fuck up, they get a warning and are told to leave.
If they continue, they get banned. No more cunts.

SorkZmok
02-01-05, 09:30
They fuck up, they get a warning and are told to leave.
If they continue, they get banned. No more cunts.
If it was that easy.
We had people ruining events. They even said "We ruin it just cause we can!" Nothing happened. KK like assholes i guess.

Nidhogg
02-01-05, 13:38
Nothing happened. KK like assholes i guess.
Something did happen actually, albeit a little late for the events I suspect you're thinking of. The rules were changed: Intentionally disrupting GM or player-driven events is now a breach of the rules and can be punished by a warning or, if the warning is ignored, temporary removal from the server. Having said that, we would prefer that events be self-policing.

I seem to remember there even being an official forum announcement at the time.

N

Ascension
02-01-05, 14:11
we would prefer that events be self-policing.
Yes, but then people feel they cant turn up at events due to in-game grudges and fear loosing valuable items...

also Posts: 8,999 -> one more leaving thread close away to 9,000 :p

Selendor
02-01-05, 14:41
Yes I remember the old events where you basically had to watch your back at all times and get ready to run for your life once the event was over because of all the pk. But I guess events aren't run like that anymore, the servers couldn't handle all the lag anyways. I think the gm's have learned the nature of events, and safezone ones are a safe bet ;)