[KoS]Brad
31-12-04, 17:02
of FRE's? Something to do with graphics card or computer? [ edited ]

MkVenner
31-12-04, 17:05
memory leaks in the most part

mishkin
31-12-04, 19:03
If anyone knew what the cause was, it'd be fixed by now.

Conclusion: The guy who made the game no longer works for kk :p

Darak
31-12-04, 20:25
Conclusion: The guy who made the game no longer works for kk
I may be dumb as a duck pond but i thought the MD of KK was the lead programmer before ? And even the person who wrote the code has most likly forgot what it did in any case (i can hardly remember what code i wrote last week never mind a year ago).

Shame
31-12-04, 21:38
when i first started playing nc well over a year and a half ago i do not remember half as many fre then over time and after more patches the fre seemed to increase and more bugs came up

i really think its the patches that cause or increase the amount of fre maybe some bad code in a patch from 2 years ago is the cause of it all

but i do know one thing for sure when i first started playing nc i do not remember any fre runtime bs at all or im sure i would have remembered it and made mental note if it was a constant occurence but i do not even remember once a day runtimes or anything like that

anyone else with a better memory then me remember a time with less or no fre?

athon
31-12-04, 21:49
I personally don't remember NC ever being completely stable. It seems fine to me at the moment. Considering the number of times I'm running 2 clients on one PC I believe I get fairly few FRE's at the moment comapred to the worse it has ever been.

FRE's can be caused by just abotu anything, including things like buggy drivers. It's impossible for KK to test Neocron on every setup it's actually played upon, and I don't believe I know of any program that is completely bug free.

Even products from big names like Epic and id Software can have lots of bugs in. IIRC id had particular problems with ATI cards when Quake 3 was first launched because their OpenGL support isn't up to scratch and Quake 3 uses OpenGL exclusively.

Athon Solo

Asurmen Spec Op
01-01-05, 00:43
I personally don't remember NC ever being completely stable. It seems fine to me at the moment. Considering the number of times I'm running 2 clients on one PC I believe I get fairly few FRE's at the moment comapred to the worse it has ever been.

FRE's can be caused by just abotu anything, including things like buggy drivers. It's impossible for KK to test Neocron on every setup it's actually played upon, and I don't believe I know of any program that is completely bug free.

Even products from big names like Epic and id Software can have lots of bugs in. IIRC id had particular problems with ATI cards when Quake 3 was first launched because their OpenGL support isn't up to scratch and Quake 3 uses OpenGL exclusively.

Athon Solo When you run those 2 clients do you run them from dif folders and do you ever get a join proxy fail error?
I constantly get the proxy error

Dr Strange
01-01-05, 00:57
They aren't bugs, they are "Features"

Asurmen Spec Op
01-01-05, 05:09
They aren't bugs, they are "Features" your not dumb you just lack intelegence
like a tank

MkVenner
01-01-05, 05:30
like a fish tank

Asurmen Spec Op
01-01-05, 05:36
like a fish tank that too

Spy XX
01-01-05, 05:46
the main problem is that its not one bug or a countable amount of bugs causing fre's. A lot of things influence if you will fre or not, it may be a buggy dx version (reporting that your gfx card is supporting stuff its not supporting), bad hardware (especially bad ram), windows deciding to have some fun or (in the most common cases) bad code. There will never be a 100000000% stable version of ANY game/programm (except maybe "Hello World" programms :D), there are so many different hardware types/combinations out there and some bugs only happen in 1 out of 100443234553 tries that its simple impossible to track them all down.

athon
01-01-05, 11:47
When you run those 2 clients do you run them from dif folders and do you ever get a join proxy fail error?
I constantly get the proxy error
I run them from different folders.

Assuming you've changed the ports on one of these client, to avoid the proxy session errors you need to do 2 things:
1) Always make sure you never launch the same client twice. The fact that the ports are already in use will trigger a proxy session error.

2) If you switch accounts on a client, make sure that the account you're logging into has been logged out for atleast 30 seconds.

As a side note, I never use Alt-F4 to exit Neocron. Whether this affects anything or not I don't know, but I prefer to play it safe.

Athon Solo

[KoS]Brad
01-01-05, 13:09
Im not sure about most of you but Im getting FRE's constantly on one of my characters, it was like every 5 or so steps I would fatal, and I would always fatal in the wastelands, got so fed up I canceled my account, killed my character pop all my imps at my appartment and Im selling everything he had, seems best.

Also with running two clients at the same time, is it more stable to have 2 directories compared to having one and changing the port?

Would you crash on zones a lot like you would if just using one directory?

retr0n
01-01-05, 13:14
Brad']Also with running two clients at the same time, is it more stable to have 2 directories compared to having one and changing the port?

Would you crash on zones a lot like you would if just using one directory?

I've never had problems with 2 clients, fatal at about the same rate as I would
anyway with only 1 client running, so i dont think 2 nc installations would actually
improve anything, but you could always check what works best for you.

[KoS]Brad
01-01-05, 13:18
Thanks, when you crash one of the characters on a zone or something and have to relog in, does it stay the same or does it change, eg.

You log in on Account1

then log into the other one with Account2

Account1 crashes on zone and your thrown to the log in screen, does it stay on Account 1 or would it have changed because you logged into Account 2?

retr0n
01-01-05, 13:22
Brad']Thanks, when you crash one of the characters on a zone or something and have to relog in, does it stay the same or does it change, eg.

You log in on Account1

then log into the other one with Account2

Account1 crashes on zone and your thrown to the log in screen, does it stay on Account 1 or would it have changed because you logged into Account 2?

Yes, they work independently, what you need to keep track of are the ports,
lets say you launch client 1 with port 21001 and then you change port and
launch client 2 with port 22001...

client 1 then crashed and you try to reconnect but forget to change port
back to 21001. client 2 will then be disconnected, well stuck in sync, and
client 1 would be unable to connect aswell (Proxy session failed). So as long
as you keep track of ports your fine.

You will also not be ablet o reconnect to client 1 if you want to change char
unless you change port.

Other then that, they work totally independent of eachother.

[KoS]Brad
01-01-05, 13:25
Cool thanks.