ty.

- Primate

Nidhogg
29-12-04, 17:40
Thread moved.

N

Akuji
29-12-04, 18:07
www.overclockers.com have some well priced items, however the tax and VAT is pretty nasty, other than that i havent found any decent places, except to go to a local store (small ones have better prices).

They SHOULD deliver to sweden, however don't quote me on it.

Weazle
29-12-04, 18:18
I go to a few sites and compare prices but these are pretty cheap:

http://www.scan.co.uk (today only page have some great deals which change every mon-fri)

http://www.savastore.co.uk

http://www.aria.co.uk

http://www.tekheads.co.uk

RDevz
29-12-04, 19:07
http://www.scan.co.uk (today only page have some great deals which change every mon-fri)

No. No, no, no, NO, NO!

There's a reason that Scan are referred to as Scam. Their customer service and after-sales support, in my experience is appaling. I bought a A64 socket 939 3500+ Winchester, an AsusTek A8V Deluxe (in a bundle deal) and a load of other components from them at the start of December. When I assembled the PC, it refused to POST, with the error message "System failed CPU test". I was told to bring it in for a BIOS flash, which they forgot to do.

After the BIOS flash, they couldn't get it to boot, and as the case was broken, accepted the entire system. I got a phone call three days later, telling me that they thought that the motherboard was fried, and that they would replace it as courier the system out to me the next morning.

Two days later, and still not in posession of a computer, I phoned them up to ask what was going on. After being bounced round their phone system, being told that I wasn't supposed to be phoning the numbers that I'd been given, I finally got through to someone who was willing to speak to me. Apparently I needed to return the box to them before they were willing to do any work on it. Touchdown for communication! I returned the box to them that evening, having been promised that I would have a working system. Long story short, they were now refusing to deal with the system as a whole, having accepted it as a whole, and after replacing the motherboard, couldn't get the system to boot. However, they claimed that the processor was fine, and was booting perfectly in a different A8V they had in their office.

By this time (haivng been in the store for 2 hours), it had closed, and there was no-one to facilitate a refund, or to complain to. I was given a contact number, and told that they would sort the motherboard/processor out the next morning, and ship it out to me. (notice a recurring theme here?)

The following morning, I got a phone call from the fatbloke in charge of Returns. Apparently, the processor was working perfectly and not at all defective. Apparently, the motherboard was working perfectly and not at all defective. The processor would not work in the motherboard. The motherboard supported the processor. He didn't see anything wrong with this. I had two options: Wait until January for a different processor of the same type (they were out of stock), downgrade to a less good processor, or pay for an upgraded motherboard.

All in all, it cost me an extra £20, and three trips out to Bolton from Oldham to get a machine working that shouldn't have been broken in the first place. My general impression is that they would promise the Earth to you when you visited the store in person, to avoid conflict, and then refuse to act on their promises once you leave. Thanks, Scan!

QuantumDelta
29-12-04, 19:27
Scan have replaced whole PCs because of problems in my experience, PC Zone and PC Gamer gave them great reviews because of customers comments.

They've been great in any dealings I've had first or second hand 'til now.

LTA
29-12-04, 20:39
i use http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

Never had any problems with em and brought whordes of stuff of there over the past 2 years

retr0n
29-12-04, 21:36
Ty all, been checking out the prices, they seem pretty much the same as here
in Sweden, some places are cheeper, but i'll just buy here and save my self the
hassle of having to ship it back to UK incase something doesnt work...

On another note, should I go for an AGP or PCI-E mobo?
What's the basic difference, cant be hassled reading thorough all the 10+ page
articles i've found.

Also if I should go for pci-e how will a x600pro gfx card compare to an agp
9800pro?

thxn again.

- Primate

athon
29-12-04, 21:40
articles i've found.

9800pro?

thxn again.

- Primate
One major factor to consider if that AGP and PCI-E are NOT compatible with each other.

Unfortunately I only found this out after buying myself a shiny new GF6800 GT and THEN deciding to look at the possibiltiy of upgrading my processor and possibly mobo.

Athon Solo

retr0n
29-12-04, 21:52
One major factor to consider if that AGP and PCI-E are NOT compatible with each other.

Unfortunately I only found this out after buying myself a shiny new GF6800 GT and THEN deciding to look at the possibiltiy of upgrading my processor and possibly mobo.

Athon Solo

Yeah, that is why i'm asking about the x600pro vs 9800pro...

If i do upgrade my system, and decide on pci-e I wont have the money to
spend right away on a top end gfx card, but I still need a descent one to be
able to play some of the newer games..

None of those 2 cards are "top of the line" but the 9800pro preforms well
enough to play the games out there today... Will the x600pro (pci-e) do so
aswell?

- Primate

Zheo
29-12-04, 22:42
What's the cheapest place to buy stuff from in UK that will also
deliver to sweden?

ty.

- Primate

You get what you pay for you buy cheep you'll get crap.

My computer has cost me around £1000 to build from the case up, and i'd still like more memory and faster stuff too but i dont have another £600+ to buy it hehe.

Zheo
29-12-04, 22:45
Yeah, that is why i'm asking about the x600pro vs 9800pro...

If i do upgrade my system, and decide on pci-e I wont have the money to
spend right away on a top end gfx card, but I still need a descent one to be
able to play some of the newer games..

None of those 2 cards are "top of the line" but the 9800pro preforms well
enough to play the games out there today... Will the x600pro (pci-e) do so
aswell?

- Primate

I have a GeForce Ultra 5700 FX 256mb, card NC works ok on my computer part form memory probs aka lack of it :D i want 2 mbs but i only have 1 cos NC eats memory like a fat cop and a donut shop lol

Dribble Joy
29-12-04, 23:47
I have not had any problems with www.scan.co.uk, but only because the things I have bought from them (my scanner and my GFX card) have been fine.

jernau
30-12-04, 00:06
Don't go within a mile of Scam.

They are utter shite. The only place I've ever dealt with that are worse is VIP and the DTI tried to submit VIP to the Guinness Book Of Records as the most dodgy company in the world (I am not joking - I used to deal with some of the guys there that had to deal with their crap). Also a mate once worked for them for a week which was pure comedy.

I've known Scam since I was at uni and they were local to me. Some of the shit they tried to pull was almost hillarious - eg their "memory tester" (a SIMM slot, a battery and an LED) that they used to try and prove their memory wasn't faulty (turned out it was bought faulty as I later met the guy who was selling it to them after he lifted it out the "failed" bin at the plant. Then there was the day we turned up just as the zip drives were literally in the process of falling off a lorry and when we joked about it they bribed us with some samples - actually that was cool but it didn't make me want to buy from them.

Since uni my main experience has been conversations with mates and work colleagues along the lines of :
them : I bought this [thing] and I think it's faulty
me : have you called the place you got it from
them : I tried and they [said it's fine] / [didn't answer] / [hung up] / [denied selling it] / [said I'd have to pay a restocking fee to get it tested]
me : was it Scam?
them : yes.
Out of all the hundreds of nightmare IT purchasing stories I've heard in the last decade at least 95% involved Scam.

/edit - for pricing comparisons try www.kelkoo.co.uk (http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/). They hook into most of the more reputable UK dealers and although their site is horrible it can be a useful resource.

/edit 2 -

articles i've found.

9800pro?
Skipping the techie stuff - PCI-E (or whatever accronym it is now :wtf: ) is newer, faster, better, more. However it's only all that if the card you buy is able to use it so the AGP and PCI-E versions of the same card should be the same (though it's never really that simple). If you aren't getting a new mobo you want whatever you can use atm, if you are replacing the mobo you want PCI-E because it's the current standard.

retr0n
30-12-04, 00:22
You get what you pay for you buy cheep you'll get crap.

My computer has cost me around £1000 to build from the case up, and i'd still like more memory and faster stuff too but i dont have another £600+ to buy it hehe.

Yes, i wasnt talking about crap parts, I was talking about where to buy them
for the best price... For example the price of a CPU can differ up to roughly
£35 depending on where you buy from. Even though it is the exact same model
etc...

@jernau: Well i will most definetly not be bying from scam then. It seems as if
it's a 50/50 split between opinions and that's just to much, especially since I will
be shipping everything to sweeden if I do buy, having to ship it back & forth
simply isnt viable.

I think i'll just buy localy & fork up the extra cash....

Still looking for some enlightment about the pci-e if anybody is up for it
or can direct me to a "pci-e for dummies" kind of page.

Ty all.

---
edit: ty jernau... that was basicly the answer i was looking for. now I just
need to find some tests of x600pro(pci-e) against 9800pro(agp) or something
similar for reference. ty again.

- Primate