PDA

View Full Version : ETA on terra fix ???

solling
28-12-04, 22:11
as people might have noticed terra is more empty then usually even tho most people are on vacation, reason are people is scared of a rollback and i cant really blame em

happened last time we had trouble and in my opinion will happen again so people dont play cuz whatever they do might be rolled back. Its been over a week now and even tho its christmas KK u really need to fix this and fast u are gonna loose a lot of players with this people are mad cuz they see u doing nothing and they cant play people will get mad if there is a rollback, but at least people can play again without having to fear it all being deleted

so plz hurry up and fix terra

Any news on when it can be sorted ?`or do we have to wait past newyear past whatever even longer and get a month rollback ?`

-Demon-
28-12-04, 22:20
Yup we need some info on this now...even if only that we are working on it...surely theres something you can tell us?

Asurmen Spec Op
28-12-04, 22:24
you all to gitery, take a nap
it will be fixed soon(TM)

-Demon-
28-12-04, 22:27
you all to gitery, take a nap
it will be fixed soon(TM)

LoL its been a long nap already to be fair...question is when do you wake up?

Nidhogg
28-12-04, 22:37
The last I heard was that the data centre was working on restoring the missing servers from the cluster today, and that CoDi was investigating the database to see if the issues are caused by anything other than reduced processing resources. I know no more than that at the present time.

N

Durandal|AI
28-12-04, 22:41
The last I heard was that the data centre was working on restoring the missing servers from the cluster today, and that CoDi was investigating the database to see if the issues are caused by anything other than reduced processing resources. I know no more than that at the present time.

N

Thanks for the timely delivered and concise information.

Jesterthegreat
28-12-04, 23:22

N

nice

wanna update the announcement too? :)

i love seeing communication improving :D

Social-Zero
28-12-04, 23:56
wow my congrats for actually posting some new info , WOW

well done , well done

amazing , a - m - a - z - i - n - g

Fafhrd
29-12-04, 00:19

N
I really hope my new hat (http://mercury.walagata.com/w/foobar/shot0139.JPG) is caused by "reduced processing resources". On the other hand I dont want to imagine real database problems.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-12-04, 02:27

N thanks nidd, to bad youll prolly be flamed
but I still belive ya :)
thanks for the info niddy

Dr Strange
29-12-04, 03:41

N

well, get back to work then boy ;o poke and prod at them dev guys for more information, terra's been fucked for almost a week straight now, we NEED to know if there will or won't be a rollback, save us from wasting time playing if so please.

Rogue Arson
29-12-04, 04:02
Ya'll keep asking about a rollback, and hurry up and tell us if it will happen. Since they HAVE NEVER MENTIONED a rollback, maybe they don't need to say it isn't happening? :rolleyes:

hegemon
29-12-04, 04:03

N

I'm sorry, maybe working 8 years professinally on file systems, databases, network protocols, software quality and security auditing, etc. hasn't taught me everything yet, but how the hell could "reduced processing resources" cause the server to send incorrect data to the clients? Sure, I could understand lag, slowness, some areas inaccessible, limits on maximal amount of people logged in, etc. But corrupt data just because a few machines in a cluster barfed?

Until proven otherwise I'll just assume that that is straight from the BOFH excuse calendar.

Oh, btw. now the "reduced processing resources" cause my client to silently crash every time I try to log in.

Engelke
29-12-04, 04:04
Well i took a chance today and rerolled one of my char so if there comes a rollback all this work would be down the drain tbh :wtf:

Jake Cutter
29-12-04, 04:24

N

Thanks for the update, Nid. It is appreciated.

Cheers,
Jake Cutter

notneo
29-12-04, 10:59
i will wait for an official announcement before i even contemplate logging on

eprodigy
29-12-04, 11:06
I will wait until:

A: its fixed
B: its rolled back (aka fixed for KK)

I can't even stand logging on right now, everyone online with these problems (and theres quite a few people still on Terra today) are those who don't read the forums and have no clue theres even a problem, except for some of the strange things around...

Nidhogg
29-12-04, 14:37
A small update. (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1725061#post1725061)

N

Reefer
29-12-04, 16:04
thanks for the information nidhogg, it really is appreciated.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

Hegemon,

lets just be happy that we get information on whats going on right now.

imo it is possible that processes get intertwined when there aren't enough resources available to handle all processes simultaniously, hence datacorruption might occur.

Actually we can't claim that it does affect the database or not simply because we don't know how the engine handles the data

Fafhrd
29-12-04, 16:09
Would be a good time to patch in the outfitters and a beauty-salon.

trigger hurt
29-12-04, 17:00
Until proven otherwise I'll just assume that that is straight from the BOFH excuse calendar.

Attributed to more than normal, solar flare activity

hegemon
29-12-04, 17:17
Hegemon,

lets just be happy that we get information on whats going on right now.

imo it is possible that processes get intertwined when there aren't enough resources available to handle all processes simultaniously, hence datacorruption might occur.

Actually we can't claim that it does affect the database or not simply because we don't know how the engine handles the data

I'm only happy (and then very happy) when I get correct information, even if it's "we don't have a single clue about what's happening".

Since the corruption is consistent (meaning that the same people have the same strange hats every day, that the characters I have that have been corrupted since christmas eve are still corrupted and those that weren't still aren't, except that since yesterday nothing works at all), it means the corruption must be stored on some kind of permanent storage (whatever it is). Just for the sake of simplicity we can call that permanent storage for a database (because that's what a database is). If it wasn't stored on permanent storage, a simple reboot of the servers would fix or at least completly change the appearance of the problem.

That's the simplest explaination. The complicated explaination is just too complicated for me to figure out. It's possible, I've debugged problems that are stranger than that, but I don't believe KK are honest when they say they don't think it's a database corruption since all evidence points that way. We have a few possible explainations for this:
1. They don't have expertise in-house for debugging this problem (in other words: the guy who designed the system quit his job/was fired/got hit by a bus).
2. They know what the problem is, but they are not telling us.
3. They don't know what the problem is and are just trying to keep us calm by saying they don't think it's a database problem (stretching the truth as much as possible).

Alternative 1 is possible, but the most scary for us.

Alternative 2 is unlikely. They are not giving any details, but what we're being told is vague enough to indicate that they haven't excluded the database. That vagueness wouldn't be there if they knew exactly what the problem is.

Alternative 3 is the most likely. That's what companies do all the time, it's called press releases. The press release from the Titanic would be "Over 1000 passengers reach their destination after Titanics maiden voyage".

Also, please notice todays announcement. "rollback will only be considered as a very last resort". A press release only contains references to negative things iff they are very likely to happen.

Nidhogg
29-12-04, 17:26
Press release? Looks like just a forum post to me. Maybe in your ninth year of developing software you'll discover a problem caused by a timeout buried in the depths of a real-time system. It's hard to predict what kind of problems something like that can cause.

BTW, I've only described the source of the problem, not the extent. It's entirely possible that the database has been affected by this. Nowhere have I said that the database is unaffected.

N

Reefer
29-12-04, 17:45
Also, please notice todays announcement. "rollback will only be considered as a very last resort". A press release only contains references to negative things iff they are very likely to happen.

well the thing I got out of that announcement is that they are trying to avoid having a rollback in every possible way.

a rollback is possible since the problems are this severe. but I find it positive that they are looking at this in every possible way in the hopes of not having to perform such a rollback. And i'm glad to be kept informed rather then having to guess what is going on.

I don't think that any explenation seems farfetched at this point and I don't believe that they have to lie about the cause or about what is going ot be done. I mean, why would they?
If a rollback is the only possible way then you can be damn sure that they do this immediatly, since no other options are available. but if they think that there might be other ways then by all means, why not let them look into it?

Last year they had to do a rollback, or so I heard, so right now i'm glad that they are looking into it to try and avoid rollback and to try and avoid similar things happening in the future. the best way to do this is to investigate, investigate and investigate.

you can only make good decissions when you are 100% sure about an issue

IceStorm
29-12-04, 18:53
well the thing I got out of that announcement is that they are trying to avoid having a rollback in every possible way. Really? I get the feeling CoDi's diagnosing the problem over a modem. :-)
If a rollback is the only possible way then you can be damn sure that they do this immediatlyNot if they don't have the manpower to both restore the backups and make sure the backups work, they won't. And rolling back when the problem may be latent in the backup won't make much sense - rolling back only to have to roll back again when the rollback copy gets corrupted a second time? That would be real egg on their faces.
Last year they had to do a rollback, or so I heardHuh? Terra's been rolled back two or three times this year alone. Granted, it's usually because a patch botches things, but rollbacks on Terra/Son-of-Saturn aren't uncommon in the slightest.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-12-04, 18:56
Press release? Looks like just a forum post to me. Maybe in your ninth year of developing software you'll discover a problem caused by a timeout buried in the depths of a real-time system. It's hard to predict what kind of problems something like that can cause.

BTW, I've only described the source of the problem, not the extent. It's entirely possible that the database has been affected by this. Nowhere have I said that the database is unaffected.

N but see this makes people automatically belive there will be rollback nidd
but fuck, I think your not BSing us :)

zii
29-12-04, 19:36
but see this makes people automatically belive there will be rollback nidd
but fuck, I think your not BSing us :)

At which point I stop playing terra because it has to have been a botched dB that let my CSter (CST=221) build an outstanding 5 slot unlabeled mini rocket laucher after 11 builds, which produced 0 slot equivilents... It was for my Pistol char.

Darth Slayer
29-12-04, 20:07
At which point I stop playing terra because it has to have been a botched dB that let my CSter (CST=221) build an outstanding 5 slot unlabeled mini rocket laucher after 11 builds, which produced 0 slot equivilents... It was for my Pistol char.
Hang on so the DB is borked because you built a 5 slot Mini Rocket Launcher.
Riiiiiiggggggghhhhhhht I see.

Scorpius.

Asurmen Spec Op
29-12-04, 20:24

Scorpius. ya scorp that confuses me too
I used to make a batch of 20 weps were the first 10 were zero then 11 was a 5slot

LTA
29-12-04, 20:33
ya scorp that confuses me too
I used to make a batch of 20 weps were the first 10 were zero then 11 was a 5slotHighlighted the key word there

My cst 227 bout 94 base int/dex has built 2 100 batches and 4 50 batches of holy heals and the best was 1 4 slot, built a 100 batch of Holy Group 1 5 slot, 2 4 slots 3 3 slots rest were 1/0 slot(best result ever out the lot of my builds).

Built 50 tpws best was a 3 slot, built 50 tl 3 heals once again best was a 3 and same with normal shelters.

When i used to batch build i'd normally manage at least a few 4 slotted things especially with the tl3 heals and shelters

Think the point he's sayin is these days to get a 5 slot is kinda miraculous especially in so few builds :p

zii
29-12-04, 20:52

Scorpius.

I don't get slots anymore :(

Think the point he's sayin is these days to get a 5 slot is kinda miraculous especially in so few builds :p

Exactly.

Darth Slayer
29-12-04, 20:59
Well slots have always been funny, I tend to get more slots on Rare builds than I ever do I low tech stuff. In fact I always try to get another clannie to build all the tl50 < stuff as my slot chances seem fubar at those levels.
Oh btw your overspecced for Cst skill.
Also Slot chances have nothing to do with Terras problems they've always been borked...... :lol:

eprodigy
29-12-04, 21:31
So theres a little update but its a bit old. Do we have any chance of a fix today? I really want to play :)

athon
29-12-04, 21:36
ya scorp that confuses me too
I used to make a batch of 20 weps were the first 10 were zero then 11 was a 5slot
That's not a borked DB - that's KK making the slots system much better, so that artifact weapons are much rarer and not everyone is running around with 2 in their belt and 3 in their gogo. People will actually value their high-slot, high-stat weapons more. This, IMO, is how things should be. It's also been this way since atleast the beginning of NC2 retail AFAIK.

I've been getting the same slottage on holy group deflectors on my hybrid conster / researcher / poker.

Athon Solo

LTA
30-12-04, 00:12
Oh btw your overspecced for Cst skill.

Nah my spy exists purely to do nothing but buildin so he speccin all points to it in the hope one day that 220+ cst skill will mean something and if it don't well it sounds good on trade lol :p

Dribble Joy
30-12-04, 00:20
The servers are not physically accessable by KK staff (afaik) if there is a hardware problem there is only so much CoDi can do from his desk.

Toilet-Duck
02-01-05, 10:42
Any update yet on the eta for the fix on terra?

Population has dropped quite abit...

Engelke
02-01-05, 15:46
Well first of all i wish a happy new year to all.

Then thanks to nidd cause he is obviously the only one closest to KK staff that is coming with announcements and is trying to find out what is happening.

I am a bit dissapointet on the KK staff cause now tomorrow i go back to work and my 2 weeks vaccation is over. My vaccation started the 23 rd of december funny enough. I wanted to grad this chance to do serious leveling on my spy to cap him. But what can you say the upper forces didn't wan't me to that. The 14 days should also have been my last chance to intensivly to play until August. Because i work in the army i will be shipped out to Kosovo in february and will be on mission until August. Well who knows maybe terra is fixed then LOL.

Well maybe i am disapointet over KK work effort between christmas and new year but i think i will survive. Now all is going back to normal life so playtime will be weekends and late after work. Good thing is KK will be back for work too. I still dunno how they can go on vacation with such server problems. My old company in millitary couldn't get there christmas vaccation because of they had to transport containers to a new depot area. These containers are even non vital cause they are empty, but still they had to move them before they could think off holiday.

Sir ramic hobbs
02-01-05, 16:20
Ok. We all have one thing in common. We all like to be entertained dont we? Well The problems on terra are the head problems right? With the hats and that, well THEY ARE FUCKING HILARIOUS and who cares if we are all bald? After a load of radiation humans wouldnt have hair anyway. If we get a rollback because people want their hair back i will lose my faith in humanity.

eprodigy
02-01-05, 20:23
First of all, I wouldn't trust any fix except a rollback myself - I think the hair is the root of a larger problem with corrupted databases and it can only get worse.

Engelke I feel similar, though I am not in the army, I go back to my full time job and night school Monday having had these weeks off as well. With only the weekends bar studies to play Neocron again. Was really hoping (also) to finish leveling my chars and get them back there items for pvp so at least I would have some fun during those times. KK has really, really disapointed me here - I expected more.

The truth is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the problem isn't fixed by August as you say.

Durandal|AI
02-01-05, 20:25
eprodigy:
Seems like you won your 100k :rolleyes:

Ill hand it over when Terras working properly again.

eprodigy
02-01-05, 20:57
:angel:

Would have been happy if lost I'd rather be playing :p

Although I said:

Who wants to take bets on a January fix ?

So if it's in February+ I guess that doesn't count :D We shall see

athon
02-01-05, 21:06
Any update yet on the eta for the fix on terra?

Population has dropped quite abit...
The populations seem fine today. They were low yesterday, but my guess is that was because everyone was suffering hangovers.

Athon Solo

Lothar IB
02-01-05, 21:09
Just wondering, how many times has the terra db been corupt in the past?

athon
02-01-05, 21:14
Just wondering, how many times has the terra db been corupt in the past?
None. This is the first time as far as I'm aware, and it's not even certain that the database is corrupt. Other than my characters only appearing as shadows on the login screen, which I'm not too bothered about, I've yet to see anything unusual.

Some people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that because weird things started happening before, this must be exactly the same thing and Terra is running on the old Saturn server (which had to have a rollback just before the switch over to NC2), despite that fact that KK have said that it's not and Saturn is still running.

Athon Solo

LOST
02-01-05, 21:19
you don't have the purple/pink trousers that make us all look so pretty solo ???

lucky you :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
02-01-05, 21:44
None. This is the first time as far as I'm aware,

are you serious? as i pointed out to you in another thread this is exactly what happened last time... i then quoted whoever saying it was database corruption, hense the last rollback.

not only has database corruption happened before... when it happened it had these exact symptoms!

eprodigy
02-01-05, 22:33
Anyway its obvious to me KK really does NOT CARE about Terra or the community whatsoever or this would be fixed. If I was going to be around to play after today I would be cancelling my account right now. I will leave it active so I don't have to deal with C2P again when I have time off to play again, but what are the chances the server will be working then. Very low when no one cares.

athon
02-01-05, 23:11
are you serious? as i pointed out to you in another thread this is exactly what happened last time... i then quoted whoever saying it was database corruption, hense the last rollback.

not only has database corruption happened before... when it happened it had these exact symptoms!
As a programmer myself, I don't subscribe to this "it's exactly what happened last time" theory. The truth is that, unless you have some privilidged access to exact details of what happened last time and what has happened this time, along withthe source code, you can't possibly say that. I do however accept that to the players it may look similar to what happened last time.

It's the same way some people acribe all FRE's to being caused by the same one line of code that is easily fixable and that KK just "can't be bothered".

Athon Solo

athon
02-01-05, 23:17
you don't have the purple/pink trousers that make us all look so pretty solo ???

lucky you :rolleyes:
Nope, I've been playing all Christmas, collecting rares and sniping enemies (some of whom turned out to be clan mates on epic runs :lol: ). If I lose them all, so what - I'll just have to do some more wabbit hunting, I had fun tho. If there's no rollback - then sucks to be you tbh - you decided towaste your time whining all the time instead of having fun playing.

I'm also of the view that this is an exceptional time of year, and it's perfectly understandable that people may be unavailable (on holiday, out of the country, whatever), hindering the fixing of the problem. With the new year coming to a close, I do expect to hear atleast some news regarding the problem by the end of this week.

Athon Solo

Asurmen Spec Op
02-01-05, 23:39
I dont see how getting a 5 slot in a small batch is a fucked DB
slot is completely random independent to the previous slot.
at the begining of NC2 I made 1 tanget sniper
5slot

Engelke
03-01-05, 00:55
As a programmer myself,

Well then you can tell me why the char i created after the terra crash is normal in login screen? No shadow not a PE all is the way it should be. Even When i log in i have no funny stuff on my head (LOL i saw a Tank with APU in PA on his head today) and i am free of the trenty pink pants too. Oh yeah and my hair looks great. Well i am not a programmer just a electroniks technican but this smells as a database error.

Uho
03-01-05, 01:26
Once your on it fix the damn imp drop on gr out after death getting pissed on endless killing of those procity wannabees
at cycrow......

might stop them doing it when their imps start falling and getting damaged.

Seven
03-01-05, 01:44
Once your on it fix the damn imp drop on gr out after death getting pissed on endless killing of those procity wannabees
at cycrow......

might stop them doing it when their imps start falling and getting damaged.

While you're at it, please put the backpack feature back, as it doesn't seem to be helping anything. :rolleyes:

King_Boa
03-01-05, 07:17
hurry up and fix terra I like to play but have not been on sent dec 23 darn

this suck :confused: :( :mad: :rolleyes: 8|

eprodigy
03-01-05, 08:05
and while your at it- add player shops, and fix FRE

hurry up and fix terra I like to play but have not been on sent dec 23 darn

this suck :confused: :( :mad: :rolleyes: 8|

<---- Same :angel:

Darth Slayer
03-01-05, 12:57
Nope, I've been playing all Christmas, collecting rares and sniping enemies (some of whom turned out to be clan mates on epic runs :lol: ).

Athon Solo

Bitch........ :p

Scorpius.

athon
03-01-05, 13:49
Well then you can tell me why the char i created after the terra crash is normal in login screen? No shadow not a PE all is the way it should be. Even When i log in i have no funny stuff on my head (LOL i saw a Tank with APU in PA on his head today) and i am free of the trenty pink pants too. Oh yeah and my hair looks great. Well i am not a programmer just a electroniks technican but this smells as a database error.
And if it is a database error? Doesn't mean that a rollback is definite. They may be able to correct the error if it's minor enough. I don't profess to know how the code behind Neocron works, which is exactly why I don't believe that I (or any other players) can say that this is exactly the same problem that occurred previously.

Athon Solo

Nidhogg
03-01-05, 13:51
Just as a point of interest, my GM character picture disappeared from the login screen about a week after NC2 started - it doesn't have any impact on the character itself. In fact, all my characters were replaced with shadows back on NC1 about a year ago with no ill effects.

N

netster
03-01-05, 14:07
it seams sporadic to me, i can see 3 of 8 models in starting screen.

Dr Strange
03-01-05, 14:35
Just as a point of interest, my GM character picture disappeared from the login screen about a week after NC2 started - it doesn't have any impact on the character itself. In fact, all my characters were replaced with shadows back on NC1 about a year ago with no ill effects.

N

Just me reading too much into it but does that mean we might be stuck with this since it doesn't really affect gameplay aside from graphical glitches? (Not saying it cause you yourself have been stuck with it for a long while, but just the meer fact ya mentioned it just seems curious)

Nidhogg
03-01-05, 14:51
Not at all. People can't go round with trees on their heads and pink pants. ;)

As a matter of interest, can people post any issues they still have now? It's not entirely clear what went away when the servers came back online and what's still outstanding.

N

sanityislost
03-01-05, 14:54

As a matter of interest, can people post any issues they still have now? It's not entirely clear what went away when the servers came back online and what's still outstanding.

N

Right now the main bugs my chars have is

Apu: Crab on head
Tank: Wee crab on head
Spy1: Bald and pink jeans
Spy2: Bald and pink jeans

apart from that i cant see my chars on the log in, which is really better than
having them taking up the whole screen (DX7 bug)

SiL ..:..

trigger hurt

N

Nothing went away when the servers came back online.

People still have pink pants, purple shirts, no hair. Our characters are still shadows at the log in screen and people are still running around with stuff on their heads. Last night, a DoY bomber went through plaza 1 along with an apu who has an apu strapped to his head.

In other words...it appears that it didnt have diddly to do with the resources and kk just fed us another line.

Selendor
3 of my 4 characters are shadowed on login screen. That seems to be the only thing wrong (apart from 30% of logins my character has no items in quickbelt and I have to relog, suspect that is unrelated though).

-Edit oh yes my tank has purple clothing too.

Nidhogg
03-01-05, 15:03
In other words...it appears that it didnt have diddly to do with the resources and kk just fed us another line.
The corruption occurred due to low resources and bringing the missing servers back online was never going to resolve that. There were reports of gogo contents, inventory and skills phasing in and out and it's that kind of issue I'm particularly interested in right now. Are the only problems we have now character appearance related?

N

trigger hurt
03-01-05, 15:10
The corruption occurred due to low resources and bringing the missing servers back online was never going to resolve that. There were reports of gogo contents, inventory and skills phasing in and out and it's that kind of issue I'm particularly interested in right now. Are the only problems we have now character appearance related?

N

Well, I couldn't tell you about that. Since december 23rd, the only time I have logged on was for 10 minutes or so to figure out if they had rolled back or not yet. Didn't see anyone bitching on trade about a missing inventory, but hell, they might have quit the game already. Or maybe they are doing what I am and waiting on the rollback. Either way, because even kk doesn't know if they will rollback, I don't play my characters on terra.

Seven
03-01-05, 15:19
Well, I couldn't tell you about that. Since december 23rd, the only time I have logged on was for 10 minutes or so to figure out if they had rolled back or not yet. Didn't see anyone bitching on trade about a missing inventory, but hell, they might have quit the game already. Or maybe they are doing what I am and waiting on the rollback. Either way, because even kk doesn't know if they will rollback, I don't play my characters on terra.

Pretty much the same here, afraid to log on.

Terkantia
03-01-05, 15:43

N

I could be wrong, but I ahven't seen anyone ig or otherwise bitchin about havin' lsot gogu or apt contents. Doesn't mean it hasn't hapened, jsaut means no one has bitched aobut it that I've seen.

Still a plethoera of other issues as some have stated. Oh yeah, on the char screen, all my chars are private eyes. My spy-droner, gentank-street soldier and my monk-inquisiter don't seem ot fit that bill though. . .

Nikabolokov
03-01-05, 15:54
3 of my 4 chars on Terra cant be seen on the login screen.

My pe's face is there, but he has pink trousers and a bald head. Nothing else wrong with this char.

My other 3 chars dont have any bugs at all once im ingame, two of them are spies , when pa is taken off they have normal outfit.

Bugs Gunny
03-01-05, 16:10
It seems that the newly rolled characters are not affected by this.
They still show up on the logon screen and are fully functional in the graphics point of vieuw.

Older chars seem to have pink pants, and either bald heads (with a moustache on it), or world items instead of hair.

As far as items going missing etc.... i haven't heard people complain.... Except for that one guy who lost a lot of belts since he has a Grim on his head (can't hide that can you?).

Once a person puts on pa it turns normal.

Dr Strange
03-01-05, 16:14
I've got the standard shadow's on my character login screen, and all my characters have the green shirt/pink pants/bald heads. Nothing abnormal attached to my head, though it is damn funny to see some of the stuff (decayed horror was the best so far)

IceStorm
03-01-05, 17:00
My character login screens are still shadows.

My Crahn Spy is still wearing a green tunic and magenta pants with no hair. At least his face texture is correct. His Faction Sympathy is still 76, where I left it on the 24th.

I'll try to check the other characters today. One down, 15 to go...

StealthyAssassi
03-01-05, 17:28
Apu: Crab on head
Tank: Wee crab on head

Headcraps? o_O

Well anyway, I hope its soon fixed. I didnt lose any items, btw, I even got 2 new items in my gogu. :D

Ninjada
03-01-05, 17:31
Headcraps? o_O
i think its another game with headcraps ;)
well ya know what i mean

Serpent
03-01-05, 17:56
i like the bugs... my new tank (bald) looks sexier then the old one... and i can see, cause of the shadows, where my chars are :)

but i can understand you, if i would have a model instead of my hair ...

Epic-Q
03-01-05, 18:22
I have the following problems:

Tank
- everything normal (normal outfit, face, etc. and he was bald anyway; also he shows up during login); i think i was playing him while the corruption occured, and he was wearing PA at that time - seems that somehow prevented any corruption on this character :confused:

Spy 1
- clothing sometimes normal (mainly in my app.), sometimes the purple/pink outfit (basically everywhere else than my app.).
- face texture normal but he has a bald head (not normal ;) ).
- only shadow on login screen and it says he's a PE,... but when logging in, stats, etc. are the normal spy ones.

Spy 2
- basically exactly the same problems as with Spy 1.

Character 4
- not important, he's for testing stuff, haven't checked details.
- shows only shadow on login screen and say's he's a PE (currently Spy).

Apart from that everything is fine,... items, cash, stats, whatever ...

Ninjada
03-01-05, 19:12
thats the most ugly ive ever seen

Darth Slayer
03-01-05, 20:44
thats the most ugly ive ever seen
Now I know most ppl go about with PPU's strapped to there arses but thats going way way over the top........ :lol:

Scorpius.

tomparadox
03-01-05, 20:51
if i may ask, why the hell is this the only MMO iv played ( so far ) that has anual DB screw ups? seems to me every other week or once a month the DB is screwing up...

IceStorm
03-01-05, 20:59
if i may ask, why the hell is this the only MMO iv played ( so far ) that has anual DB screw ups? Because Germany goes on holiday for Xmas and doesn't get back to full staffing levels until mid-January?
seems to me every other week or once a month the DB is screwing up...Most of that is due to patches that kill the database. They usually just roll back to the pre-patch backup. That's a fairly recent issue. Saturn performing like ass, who knows? Real Men played Pluto during NC1. :-)

trigger hurt
04-01-05, 00:41
Because Germany goes on holiday for Xmas and doesn't get back to full staffing levels until mid-January?Most of that is due to patches that kill the database. They usually just roll back to the pre-patch backup. That's a fairly recent issue. Saturn performing like ass, who knows? Real Men played Pluto during NC1. :-)

I've moved to mars along with a few others. Since it's the only one slot server around. Would be really nice if KK would let me move one char over there, but oh well.

Was at an op fight the other day. Approximatly 30+ people in zone standing in the thick of it (not fighting though) and the fps and ping were, for the most part, smooth. Not to mention that, at 6am german time, it still has a higher player count than terra.

Menome
04-01-05, 01:02
Ok, I just have one question concerning Mars.

Are there enough English players to make it playable? When it comes to say, asking for an epic kill, I dont really want to be too held back.

If thats ok, then I see myself moving to Mars pretty soon.

hegemon
04-01-05, 01:16
As far as items going missing etc.... i haven't heard people complain.... Except for that one guy who lost a lot of belts since he has a Grim on his head (can't hide that can you?).

He was of great help in an op fight today. Without the Grim Chaser as a target marker I wouldn't have spotted a whole group of people hiding in the hills.

giga191
04-01-05, 02:01
We told people there was a new building next ot jeriko while we hid inside the bunker and sprang out to pk people when they came :p

best fun I've had in a while :lol: :lol:

trigger hurt
04-01-05, 04:20
Ok, I just have one question concerning Mars.

Are there enough English players to make it playable? When it comes to say, asking for an epic kill, I dont really want to be too held back.

If thats ok, then I see myself moving to Mars pretty soon.

Yes, but generally, as I understand it, people get their epic kills the old fashioned way. Shouldn't be hard either as most factions are very active.

Jesterthegreat
04-01-05, 23:47
As a programmer myself, I don't subscribe to this "it's exactly what happened last time" theory. The truth is that, unless you have some privilidged access to exact details of what happened last time and what has happened this time, along withthe source code, you can't possibly say that. I do however accept that to the players it may look similar to what happened last time.

It's the same way some people acribe all FRE's to being caused by the same one line of code that is easily fixable and that KK just "can't be bothered".

Athon Solo

so search for the many other times i have pointed this out to you... im sure you can find a better phrased one. and no... i cant see that its "exactly" the same thing... but i see that both then and now we saw:

1. baldness
2. green PE skin
3. random shit on hair
4. shadow on login screen

and are you sticking to whati quoted you saying (that there has been no database corruption that you are aware of) when the last time (that you just told me looks similar from a players point of view) they admitted to it?

now fair play... i dont have access to the code so i cant say its the same thing... and i have not said there will be a rollback... but you seem to be sugar coating it and trying to be condisending at the same time...

in fact i cant think of one issue that happened last time (when it was corrupt) that was different to one now... but once again i have no access to the code so im not stating its the same for fact.

Nidhogg
04-01-05, 23:51
Ok, I know this is a major PITA but arguing isn't going to solve it. Let's just see what happens - as ever, as soon as I have some information I'll pass it on.

N

epij
05-01-05, 00:20
what confuses me is the green-pink clothing combo...

because i brought exactly this one from my transferred NC1 char and was pretty much desperate that the outfitters were offline in NC2.

sorry folks, all my fault :|

Dr Strange
05-01-05, 01:48
another day, another no-fix non rollback day :( if you're bored, you can always bet in the calendar pool (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=121024&page=1&pp=15) on when or if we'll get a fix.

King_Boa
06-01-05, 00:10
still no word about terra yet its just plain :(

Seven
06-01-05, 01:16
Well supposedly they do a backup every 24 hours, so if they're letting it run and backing it up, there shouldn't be a rollback of more than 24 hours.

But, you know the deal.... :lol:

Jesterthegreat
06-01-05, 14:33
Well supposedly they do a backup every 24 hours, so if they're letting it run and backing it up, there shouldn't be a rollback of more than 24 hours.

But, you know the deal.... :lol:

unless the 24 hour backups backed up corrupted data...

in which case its a rollback to pre-christmas :p

Riddle
06-01-05, 15:10
Bit worried about this now :(

Been talking to people in game , some believe the rollback will happen just wonder whats taking so long to do it....

The longer KK leaves it the more pissed off people will be and i know if its a pre christmas backup a lot of people are gonna say to hell with it! :(

Watch the leaving threads increase O_o

Bugs Gunny
06-01-05, 15:29
The chances of this being anything other than a similar data coruption problem are minimal.
Now, i hope that THIS time, KK is actualy looking at another way to fix it instead of a rollback. It can't be that hard, just rewrite those tables with the same clothing for everyone, then make another startupscreen where you can pick new clothing for you char and new hair.

But......... from previous experience.... i fear that we'll have another rollback, way too late, and somewhere around the betarelease date of that other game.
I'm telling you someone from the competition bribed that damn hamster.

Working with an oracle database that runs our erp software i can tell you this:
If our database and software had the same performance record as KK's outsourced servercluster...... Everyone responsible would have been "replaced", before the company goes out of business due to losing most customers and tarnishing their reputation forever.

Actualy, i'm gonna use this as an example to reply to the management's request to look into outsourcing the servers to a datacenter.

Seven
06-01-05, 15:55
Bit worried about this now :(

Been talking to people in game , some believe the rollback will happen just wonder whats taking so long to do it....

The longer KK leaves it the more pissed off people will be and i know if its a pre christmas backup a lot of people are gonna say to hell with it! :(

Watch the leaving threads increase O_o

No doubt.

I guess the Asian customers are looking promising.

KK talk to us man.

Cubico
06-01-05, 16:30
Actualy, i'm gonna use this as an example to reply to the management's request to look into outsourcing the servers to a datacenter.

You: As an example, there is a german game company who has outsourced their datacenter to another company.
Management: Do you want to compare our business with gaming business?
You: Well, eh, no ...
Mangement: How do you know about this?
You: I am playing that game, its called a MMORPG. A massive multiplayer online role playing game.
Management: What? A role playing game? Are you some sort of nerd? Are you wearing mail shirts while sitting at your computer? Or having cyber sex with germans?!
You: Of course not! I ...
Management: For us it seems that you are not any longer a potential candidate for replacing your team manager next month. Now go away and get a real hobby.

Bugs Gunny
06-01-05, 16:40
LOOOOL

Good one.

I'm not gonna say it's a gaming company :-)
And it's not going to be the only argument or example, i have to make price comparisons, list the pro's and cons...

And they won't care since i'm a nerd wearing chainmail armor at work too.
Last time they sent me on leave was when i was in the parking lot, druggin up on "beast" to gun my suv cannon.
Drugflash made me shoot the CEO's Caddilac..... it did make a nice "BOOM", and got him pretty upset as he's still le'd. But that's another story for another day.

Latent Entropy
06-01-05, 16:50
I guess the Asian customers are looking promising.
Good Luck with breaking the Final Fantasy, WoW, Lineage2 grasp over the Asian customers.:lol:

Nidhogg
06-01-05, 19:34
Here's an update (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1730475#post1730475) on Terra - there will be no rollback. Please read the announcement for more details. Thanks.

N

Xeno LARD
06-01-05, 19:35
Upon closer investigation we've ascertained that the problems with the Terra server occurred during the period of downtime and are not ongoing. This means that a database rollback will not be required. We are currently investigating whether the character model issues can be fixed in a single operation, but if not our GM team now have the tools to fix them on an individual basis.

Yes, that's right! No rollback! w00t. Thanks for you time.

Social-Zero
06-01-05, 19:36
that was about time there ! But nice sollution. Well done if i may say so

Darth Slayer
06-01-05, 19:37
Here's an update (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?p=1730475#post1730475) on Terra - there will be no rollback. Please read the announcement for more details. Thanks.

N
Nice one Nid thanks for the update.
Now reconstructive surgery oh errr...... :lol:

Scorpius.

Menome
06-01-05, 19:38
YES!!!!!!!!

My Clan survives!!!!

Nidhogg
06-01-05, 19:41
Thread merged.

N

IceStorm
06-01-05, 19:41
So no rollback, but now we're waiting for a fix.

I have sixteen characters that need to be fixed. This should be fun...

Menome
06-01-05, 19:49
So? You'll just have to have more surgery than Cher.:lol:

Jesterthegreat
06-01-05, 22:11
So? You'll just have to have more surgery than Cher.:lol:

barely :p

and hurrah! :D

Engelke
07-01-05, 00:16
Can GM fix the logon screen bug too? Its anoying to be a shodow PE when you really are a spy

frkline
07-01-05, 01:27
<3 Niddy. thanks for the good news m8.

Brammers
07-01-05, 01:40
If we cannot resolve the character problems automatically we will ask you to report any corrupt character(s) you may have to the helpdesk so we can schedule a GM to visit you for reconstructive surgery.

That made me chuckle a little! Thanks for the update Niddy!

Dr Strange
07-01-05, 01:43

N

Not to flame or troll honest question here; theres a shit load of characters fucked up, just about all of them to be exact. Not to mention the guy's who have 4 accounts full of characters.... My question is, can we vote on a rollback? I'm sorry but at this point, while I give a huge congrats on not NEEDing a rollback fix, at the same time who wants to wait in line for probably weeks on end?

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 01:47
Not to flame or troll honest question here; theres a shit load of characters fucked up, just about all of them to be exact. Not to mention the guy's who have 4 accounts full of characters.... My question is, can we vote on a rollback? I'm sorry but at this point, while I give a huge congrats on not NEEDing a rollback fix, at the same time who wants to wait in line for probably weeks on end?

vote for a 2-3 week rollback?

fuck that.

having the game playable minus the hair for a little bit is better than whiping weeks of everyones gameplay.

Dr Strange
07-01-05, 01:56
vote for a 2-3 week rollback?

fuck that.

having the game playable minus the hair for a little bit is better than whiping weeks of everyones gameplay.

Hence why I asked Nidd if we could have a vote for what we want. You're a paying customer and you'd rather wait in what's going to be a long, long, long, long line. I'm a paying customer, I'd rather lose some experience and levels and have a fix in a matter of hours. A vote would be the most fair thing to do for us all.

Nidhogg
07-01-05, 02:07
As I stated in the announcement a few days ago, a rollback will only be considered as a last resort and there are clearly other options to pursue. We're keen to impress on everyone that rollbacks are not an easy option for us, nor are they to be expected now that we have finer control over the game world of Neocron 2. I realise that there are people who have not played during this time who would benefit from a simple rollback but we have a responsibility to all of our customers. There will be no rollback.

BTW, we're all hoping that CoDi will be able to fix things up quickly too. ;)

N

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 02:19
As I stated in the announcement a few days ago, a rollback will only be considered as a last resort and there are clearly other options to pursue. We're keen to impress on everyone that rollbacks are not an easy option for us, nor are they to be expected now that we have finer control over the game world of Neocron 2. I realise that there are people who have not played during this time who would benefit from a simple rollback but we have a responsibility to all of our customers. There will be no rollback.

BTW, we're all hoping that CoDi will be able to fix things up quickly too. ;)

N

good good.

people wanting a roll back...

what a world we live in?

lemee guess... went crazy, killed allies til you got -100 SL and hoped for a rollback? (j/k... i am not flaming you :p)

trigger hurt
07-01-05, 05:27
If we cannot resolve the character problems automatically we will ask you to report any corrupt character(s) you may have to the helpdesk so we can schedule a GM to visit you for reconstructive surgery.

So I submitted a trouble ticket using the ingame submission tool. I get a reply back from carbonite that they can't do diddly about it and I have to wait on a fix. So...why exactly do I have to contact the helpdesk?

Asurmen Spec Op
07-01-05, 06:22
So I submitted a trouble ticket using the ingame submission tool. I get a reply back from carbonite that they can't do diddly about it and I have to wait on a fix. So...why exactly do I have to contact the helpdesk? read the quote more closly sir.
it says IF we cant.
IF meaning if it failes then send em

trigger hurt
07-01-05, 07:14
read the quote more closly sir.
it says IF we cant.
IF meaning if it failes then send em

Try this.

I send in a support ticket because my char is still bugged. Carbonite tells me that they can't do anything about it. Also, if you read Nidd's post a bit more, he says "GM's now have the tools to fix this if the automatic fix does not work". In other words, they expect it to not work for everyone and know that GM's may have to do it manually. Now because they didnt give a date for when the automatic fix was going to be, I have to assume that they have "hopefully" already tried it, thus I send in a support ticket.

Do me a small favor. Don't comment on anything I say from this point forward. You are obviously being a dick to get attention because noone pays attention to you otherwise.

Asurmen Spec Op
07-01-05, 07:19
Do me a small favor. Don't comment on anything I say from this point forward. You are obviously being a dick to get attention because noone pays attention to you otherwise. tsk tsk and I tried to be nice, I even called you SIR
and plus its a smart thing to have the GM tools ready incase the auto fix failes, to minimize the time to fix it.
and to your request.
No

Ninjano2002uk
07-01-05, 07:38
[ edited ]

Seven
07-01-05, 08:07
GM full?

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 14:21
[ edited ]

was told i was limited to OOC as an english speaker by a GM.

logged off and havent been back to Mars since.

Nidhogg
07-01-05, 14:25
@Ninjano2002uk, you've made your point but now you're just spamming.

@Jesterthegreat, I'd be interested to know who said that as there are no rules prohibiting speaking in English. Only support is in German. Were you, perhaps, just speaking out of character?

N

Jesterthegreat
07-01-05, 14:35
@Ninjano2002uk, you've made your point but now you're just spamming.

@Jesterthegreat, I'd be interested to know who said that as there are no rules prohibiting speaking in English. Only support is in German. Were you, perhaps, just speaking out of character?

N

i already explined the situation to another GM (couldnt remember the "offender" GM's name unfortunatly) and i may have been off topic tbh... but the "if you are speaking english use OOC" or words to that effect (it was a while back now) kinda hinted the content of my chat was not the problem, just the language.

and support = german is the arguement i used (on OOC) howeve rthe GM then promptly ignored me

trigger hurt
07-01-05, 15:01
i already explined the situation to another GM (couldnt remember the "offender" GM's name unfortunatly) and i may have been off topic tbh... but the "if you are speaking english use OOC" or words to that effect (it was a while back now) kinda hinted the content of my chat was not the problem, just the language.

and support = german is the arguement i used (on OOC) howeve rthe GM then promptly ignored me

maybe he was never on then. Myself, DarkH and Devils Grace talked over Alliance, Trade, OOC and Faction in english all the time.

Matthew.v.smith
07-01-05, 18:54
Is anyone else getting big bandwidth lag like me?
I logged on a few time's this week and all was smove but then I logged on today and my badnwidth start's at 250 but goes up to like 650 to 700 sometimes 1000 causing rubber-banding and chat messages to stall me.
Shooting mobs and killing them also stalls me for a second.

It's down right annoying and I cant understand why it's happening i've changed my Rpos colour scheme but I cant see how that affects me.

So anyone else geddin it?

Matty. :angel:

athon
07-01-05, 18:56
Is anyone else getting big bandwidth lag like me?
I logged on a few time's this week and all was smove but then I logged on today and my badnwidth start's at 250 but goes up to like 650 to 700 sometimes 1000 causing rubber-banding and chat messages to stall me.
Shooting mobs and killing them also stalls me for a second.

It's down right annoying and I cant understand why it's happening i've changed my Rpos colour scheme but I cant see how that affects me.

So anyone else geddin it?

It's probably your sig image loading up. :angel:

Athon Solo

Matthew.v.smith
07-01-05, 19:34
It's probably your sig image loading up. :angel:

Athon Solo

Lol very helpfull :p
But yeah I never reolised that it was that big so thanx for pointing it out :D

King_Boa
07-01-05, 22:48
yea matt sexpot is misty she log on had real bad lag :( had to relog 2 times she had the log on bug ;( she say that bug suck :lol:

Ninjano2002uk
08-01-05, 19:27
Sorry Nid , just tryin so hard to get english to move to MARS ^^ :p

/wont happen again il keep it in Game forums instead ^^