PDA

View Full Version : Crazy question on XBox and HD.

Terayon
28-12-04, 00:41
So i have a spare computer lying around without a HD. I manage to barrow one from a friend thats an 8gig just so my bro can go on msn and not bug me. The only catch is the HD is formatted for XBox now. Originaly it was for pc though so ya. Anyone know if there are any tools out there or anything that let me format a HD from xbox to windows? Partition magic dousent seem to work. I havent been able to find anything yet.

Plight
28-12-04, 08:09
depends if its locked or not. If it is an original xbox hdd (which juding from the size it is), its locked. The only way to unlock it is to have the original modified xbox. There are some dos based apps that have helped some people, ive tried and its a huge hassle really.

Use google.

Xeno LARD
30-12-04, 00:10
How can they stop you formatting? That's fucking stupid.

Put it in, boot from a floppy fdisk, format! Sorted.

Obsidian X
30-12-04, 00:21

Yeah, I don't see how you can't just delete the partition(s) and start over...

NeoDriver
30-12-04, 00:22

its not as easy as that because each X-Box HD is completely locked with individual PW's

Omnituens
30-12-04, 00:23
how can it be PW if theres no partition to store it on?

eprodigy
30-12-04, 01:07
Just get a big magnet :)

Xeno LARD
30-12-04, 02:55
Get a low-level formatting tool then, write all the data to 1's on the HDD and there's nothing anyone can do at the software level to stop you.

Only hardware would be the way, but how can you ident if it's an XBox connected or something else through IDE where.. it's just not going to happen, ok?

Low level it is!

Obsidian X
30-12-04, 03:40
Get a low-level formatting tool then, write all the data to 1's on the HDD and there's nothing anyone can do at the software level to stop you.

Only hardware would be the way, but how can you ident if it's an XBox connected or something else through IDE where.. it's just not going to happen, ok?

Low level it is!

That, or microwave it. :D

As Xeno said, you can't protect a standard IDE hard drive, as that just wouldn't work. A proper low level formatting tool should fix the XBox's wagon. Failing that, you can always just throw it out of the window. :p

Azmodai
04-01-05, 00:24
As Xeno said, you can't protect a standard IDE hard drive, as that just wouldn't work. A proper low level formatting tool should fix the XBox's wagon. Failing that, you can always just throw it out of the window. :p

Damn I wish people would stop spamming forums with their ignorance..
Xeno/Obsidian X, try reading up a little on the ATA-3 standard or Google a bit on ATAPI password...

Basically you wont be able to low level format the disk if it's "xbox locked" AKA ATAPI password protected as the controller circuit on the drive wont allow the IDE host adapter on the motherboard to access any drive details without the proper password.

So if you dont have access to the Xbox that locked the drive, the original EPROM data from said xbox (the password is a hash of the EPROM data) or know how to reset the drive's firmware so it thinks it just came off the assembly line, the disk is nothing but a paperweight/doorstop.
Bruteforcing the password is possible in theory put would be a pain and very time consuming.

/Azmodai

NeoDriver
04-01-05, 01:28
Damn I wish people would stop spamming forums with their ignorance..
Xeno/Obsidian X, try reading up a little on the ATA-3 standard or Google a bit on ATAPI password...

Basically you wont be able to low level format the disk if it's "xbox locked" AKA ATAPI password protected as the controller circuit on the drive wont allow the IDE host adapter on the motherboard to access any drive details without the proper password.

So if you dont have access to the Xbox that locked the drive, the original EPROM data from said xbox (the password is a hash of the EPROM data) or know how to reset the drive's firmware so it thinks it just came off the assembly line, the disk is nothing but a paperweight/doorstop.
Bruteforcing the password is possible in theory put would be a pain and very time consuming.

/Azmodai

thank you thank you thank you. no-one believed me >.<

hinch
04-01-05, 15:12
put in pc use xbunlock should be available from www.xbconnect.com (think thats the url) will unlock the hd so it can be reformatted for pc usage.

theres also a trick with hot swapping drives onto a turned on pc but woah dodgy :)