PDA

View Full Version : Sudden character baldness on terra

Inchenzo
24-12-04, 13:09
As the title says, my characters on 2 accounts have lost their hairdo's, and they've lost their faces on the character selection screen, anyone else having this ?

I know this bug has been around before, needed a server rollaback to fix it though :/

Durandal|AI
24-12-04, 13:14
Same here ... beware teh r011b4ck :D

Nvidia
24-12-04, 13:15
Oh god... the last time that happened... we...had...a...

Fuck.

Well KK, if you do it, please take it back at least three days so my spy still has 96 SL instead of -34 plzkthx. :D

Inchenzo
24-12-04, 13:16
Same here ... beware teh r011b4ck :D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :eek:

well.. got nothing else to say so i'll just shut up...

mishkin
24-12-04, 13:16
It's not just the hair. We have people in TH logging into the same spot (zone-reset-spot) and people are having green PE models and floating torsos over their heads... The Judgement day is here!!! :D

Inchenzo
24-12-04, 13:18
It's not just the hair. We have people in TH logging into the same spot (zone-reset-spot) and people are having green PE models and floating torsos over their heads... The Judgement day is here!!! :D

Jeez, judgement day again in NC,.. seeing that alot these last couple of months (years)..

ladyattis
24-12-04, 13:26
Well I hope not. I wish KK would get some solid network coders and stop pretending that content on an unstable platform is acceptable... :P

-- Bridget

*Dazz*
24-12-04, 13:26
I've only logged in 2 chars that were mules just to check....every one of my friend's accounts that are still active, I chekced as well..I don't have one account that hasn't been affected by this. The two chars I logged in, one has a bat above his head (after zoning at least he was green when I first logged him on) the other has a complete pe skin in full green above his head. Last time i had a char catch a texture bug like that, I was basically told I was fucked...So if all my chars are "fucked"...it's bye time real soon. If they rollback, fine, I haven't been on much anyway lately as long as i can get my main char's skins back I'll be good ;)

ladyattis
24-12-04, 13:29
I don't see how skins should be effected. I mean it's a DB issue, I use to run a MU* so I know a bit about DB's and etc. And basically this smacks of someone NOT DOING A GOOD JOB CODING THE DB PARSER. I mean, duh, the db parser has to be coded exactly right or it won't work. I know this is a small company and etc, but come on it's simple C lang 101 with regard to pointers and strings. O_o And to fix it would be relatively easy, you just have to see what errors the parser did and make a parser to correct any overwrites and data shifts. :P

-- Bridget

mishkin
24-12-04, 13:31
Terra just went down :)

/edit: maybe not :P

hegemon
24-12-04, 13:31
Three of my chars have this problem.

Also, the whole morning there have been serious spikes of lag followed by periods when spells aren't working properly. This has accelerated in the past hour. A few minutes ago I was suddenly killed in chaos caves even though I had full health. The servers are ill.

Menome
24-12-04, 13:32
Every server has gone down.

mishkin
24-12-04, 13:36
I'm still on terra.... just got kicked off along with a bunch of people... appears it lagged out or something :D

Menome
24-12-04, 13:37
I'm just using two comps to try and figure out if any news has come from KK yet, in-game and forums.

Bugs Gunny
24-12-04, 14:17
C'mon, i'm sure they have now learned to check the backups so i wouldn't worry......... or should we? :-)

Hot-Salsa
24-12-04, 14:21
well i have seen alot of bald people running around in nc lol...for some reason my charaters hasnt been effected :) probly some radioactive ooze that lying around :p

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 14:25
its sad when people almost yell in joy that a bug is fixed without a rollback... (like last nights server down)

whats even sadder is we expect it.

out of curiosity... how many rollbacks have german servers had?

mishkin
24-12-04, 14:27
how many rollbacks have german servers had?

My guess is: None over the last 3 years :D

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 14:28
My guess is: None over the last 3 years :D

as apposed to terra... 3 in 3 weeks...

not that i'm implying anything...

how many times has mars gone down?

Bugs Gunny
24-12-04, 15:52
Mars server cluster = "made in germany"
Terra server cluster = "Bought some second hand chinese stuff as we were planning asian server cluster" - "We also put our corrupt saturn database structures on it, for general testing purposes"

trigger hurt
24-12-04, 16:14
This is fucking rediculous. How can you possibly claim that this server is on new equipment. Check your receipt. You got ripped off.

IceStorm
24-12-04, 16:29
This is fucking rediculous. How can you possibly claim that this server is on new equipment.If the software is broken badly enough, no amount of current-day hardware (within reason) will fix it.

I would be very interested to see the login/logout stats from Mars vs Terra. I get the feeling Terra has far more login/logout cycles per unit time than Mars does. I can't imagine the Martians don't have as much "stuff" as the Terrans.

Either that, or outside around 1500 mile radius, the whole server system starts to crap out due to latency...

Morpheous
24-12-04, 16:36
Can KK just post server details for each server cluster? As in tech specs, like RAM, Procs, units, drives, etc.... not too hard ^_^

I'm sure that would put many customers's minds at rest.

LiL T
24-12-04, 16:50
OMG I swear down they better not roll back, all that lvling on me constructer with the evil fusion drones has allmost made me blind. Hours and hours of BZZZT BZZT BZZZT with allmost nuclear like explosions on screen just to get a few dex and intel lvls.

:wtf: :(

TWOK
24-12-04, 16:54
:(
If theres a 4+ day rollback..I lose a str capped tank. Doesn't seem much point doing anything constructive with the likelyhood of a rollback.

Spermy
24-12-04, 17:03
Pfft - rollback or not - I pay to play - I'm playing :p

Rollback - tough luck - just redo

No rollback - one over on everyone who's terrified of a rollback that might never come.

Bleh - winds me up when people jump to rollback conclusions when the servers hiccup. No offence to anyone, but y'all worry too much.

Hot-Salsa
24-12-04, 17:06
i just logged on my tank...and he is Bald *cry* and i got a greenish shirt...and PINK pants...im not taking one step outside doy...ill get shot by doy bots for breaking dress codes..... :eek:

Hot-Salsa
24-12-04, 17:07
Pfft - rollback or not - I pay to play - I'm playing :p

Rollback - tough luck - just redo

No rollback - one over on everyone who's terrified of a rollback that might never come.

Bleh - winds me up when people jump to rollback conclusions when the servers hiccup. No offence to anyone, but y'all worry too much.

well what have Kk done mostly when something like that happens?...roll....back?hmmm..... o_O

mishkin
24-12-04, 17:08
The reason it crashes so often, is the error-log that logs all send/recieve errors gains critical mass and starts sucking in the database, bit by bit :p

LiL T
24-12-04, 17:11
This is one of my accounts now Poorbill is my ressers yes he is a spy but it says he is a male PE I have not logged in yet.

this could get intresting .... 8|

Spermy
24-12-04, 17:12
well what have Kk done mostly when something like that happens?...roll....back?hmmm..... o_O

Not really - I've seen a few rollbacks, but most of the time it's got nothing to do with our character data. After all, our chars still load up, still have thier gear and XP correct? So our chars are fine. It's just an issue with some people getting access to them, that's probably down to hiccups.

As for the random model replacement issues, again - hiccups in transmitting - server knows what your char should look like, client recieves slightly garbled data, hence the messyness, seeing as it's fixed after a zone or two, it says to me

"hey, I'm a transmission problem!"

It could be that the lines they transmit down are being tested/upgraded - hence the patchy transmit, it could be that somethings causing interference, or someone may have simply knocked something loose (More often than not! - accounts for almost 60% of my uni network downtime :p )

In the words of our pope John paul :

Chill Winstahn!

IceStorm
24-12-04, 17:14
After all, our chars still load up, still have thier gear and XP correct? So our chars are fine.No, money and items are going missing between syncs as are items phasing in and out of GGs.

Log off Terra. I doubt it'll be usable before Wednesday.

Hot-Salsa
24-12-04, 17:15
well atleast not much has changed since i was gone lol...i left nc in the end of nc1....and this bugg that we see here now....comes from nc1....it happend there also...once my tank looked like a spy with CS :eek:

Spermy
24-12-04, 17:17
The reason it crashes so often, is the error-log that logs all send/recieve errors gains critical mass and starts sucking in the database, bit by bit :p

Let me explain it in more technical terms to clear a few things up.

Spermy
24-12-04, 17:18
No, money and items are going missing between syncs as are items phasing in and out of GGs.

Log off Terra. I doubt it'll be usable before Wednesday.

Meh - To each there own - relogs fix the errors like that when I get them - annoying, but not as annoying as not playing. :)

edit:

SCHIESE! double post! sorry!

*Dazz*
24-12-04, 17:44
This is one of my accounts now Poorbill is my ressers yes he is a spy but it says he is a male PE I have not logged in yet.

this could get intresting .... 8|

I've logged into my account and 4 of my m8's accounts and they ALL look like that....shitteh...

LiL T
24-12-04, 17:54
I've logged into my account and 4 of my m8's accounts and they ALL look like that....shitteh...

was all green PE's but the ones with PA on were spared however they all have no hair now and my PE is now wearing shitty colours :\

*Dazz*
24-12-04, 17:56
was all green PE's but the ones with PA on were spared however they all have no hair now and my PE is now wearing shitty colours :\

Yea i logged onto two mules, and one has a bat for hair after zoning, the other has a green pe skin above him...I won't be logging any of my chars on till this one's fixed

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 20:27
no word on this yet?

Darth Slayer
24-12-04, 21:19
no word on this yet?
Yeah not fixed till possibly after christmas so 3-4 days most likely....... :eek:

Scorpius.

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 22:28
Yeah not fixed till possibly after christmas so 3-4 days most likely....... :eek:

Scorpius.

well at least kk will have fun over xmas then

poelzi
24-12-04, 22:30
I don't see how skins should be effected. I mean it's a DB issue, I use to run a MU* so I know a bit about DB's and etc. And basically this smacks of someone NOT DOING A GOOD JOB CODING THE DB PARSER.
-- Bridget

I think its a much harder thing to do than you say. I'm a programmer for myself.
It could be a simple wrong entry in the database, maybe related to the problem yesterday. Just for example, maybe you store the colors set by the outfitter in an table and assign them to the primary key of your character table. So you make your select query and expect one result due the depencies of the primary key. But somehow datacoruption selects a row with wrong entries that do accutally not belong to the character. Think its a clustered system so its more likly that corruption or wrong results from query can happen. Sure you can do more checks and fallbacks but there is a point that the overhead is not worth or the data can simply not be checked. When the results from the database query is a green shirt and a purple pants, why not, he could have activated them in the outfitter. Year outfitter a disabled, but the backend seems still to exist. I think there a some raceconditions in it, so its better to disable the frontend as long as they exist. Think how many posibilities you have in the game which are related and have to be tested. What would happen for example if i have a holo PA and would use the outfitter....

ladyattis
25-12-04, 03:42
I agree that can be complex but the underlying use of say SQL and etc, it's rather easy to make sure you don't get this problem. I'm betting it has nothing to do with the player files at all, probably a key db file somewhere chewed the pooch due to login and game servers being out of synch at times, which is my personal choice for the source of the problem since that occured just before these errors.

-- Bridget

Kuya
25-12-04, 03:49
tbh, i dont care how long they take to fix the prob, as long as they dont rollback, coz i just spend 4 hard days to cap my PE, so just dont. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 8|

eprodigy
25-12-04, 05:27
I just want some offical word on the problem, I just KNOW if I play now there going to come back on Monday and rollback the whole server to the 23rd or something. Normally not a big deal but im trying to cap 2 of my chars and i don't want my work to be wasted. Therefore I cannot play! Totally horrible I am paying money for this shit.

Its absolutly bs that theres no kind of SLA. What stops them from just shutting down the servers for a week to save money ? ? ?

Attachment: Logging in and seeing a guy with a plate of FOOD STUCK TO HIS FACE does not give me confidence.

Vithar
25-12-04, 05:44
I just want some offical word on the problemThe most official word you will get on it right now is in the Announcement Forums. ;)

No one wants to see a rollback, especially KK.

We will just have to be patient and see what happens. :)

V

*Disclaimer: I am in no way saying, one way or the other, whether or not a rollback is going to happen. I don't know what is going to happen.

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 09:32
ffs... i dropped all my stuffin a QB in a warxone... i (rather selfishley) support a rollback...

eprodigy
25-12-04, 10:16
ffs... i dropped all my stuffin a QB in a warxone... i (rather selfishley) support a rollback...

I support one now because, since now (for fear of a rollback) I can't play anyway - they might as well rollback :D iykwim

eprodigy
25-12-04, 10:20
The most official word you will get on it right now is in the Announcement Forums. ;)

Problem is, there should be MORE official word. I know thats the most im going to get. Hell, its a lot more then usual, but not as much as it should be.

Its Xmas Eve :) I cut KK some slack. party hard. i want my nc back to normal by monday or i kill myself.

LiL T
25-12-04, 12:07
well I'm not gonna be lvling till I find out KK just roll it back if needed

Bugs Gunny
25-12-04, 13:35
Give us the option to move to mars server :D

Cubico
25-12-04, 14:35
I am downloading Anarchy Online atm, the basic game is free now.
I will probably find out that its shitty, then I will be happy to come back to restored Terra ;)

Kuya
25-12-04, 15:32
The most official word you will get on it right now is in the Announcement Forums. ;)

No one wants to see a rollback, especially KK.

We will just have to be patient and see what happens. :)

V

*Disclaimer: I am in no way saying, one way or the other, whether or not a rollback is going to happen. I don't know what is going to happen.

All we can do now is wait, Merry Christmas V, Hope there not going back

tiikeri
25-12-04, 16:13
Meet bushmaster Uho!!!!

Made me laugh like soooooooooooooooooooooooo much :)

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 20:17
I am downloading Anarchy Online atm, the basic game is free now.
I will probably find out that its shitty, then I will be happy to come back to restored Terra ;)

really?

i hated the combat... but its free? i may find my old AO CD then...

:edit:

installing now... how do i make a free account? is it simple?

Nidhogg
25-12-04, 21:55
Fighting in AO...

TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,TAB,Q, etc.

N

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 21:57
Fighting in AO...

TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,Q,TAB,TAB,TAB,Q, etc.

N

why do you think i quit last time? :p

however its good til terras sorted... i can live without doin 2 days work that may get rolled back (3rd time this has happened... both other times we were rolled back).

beats wasting time in NC right now.

eprodigy
25-12-04, 22:37
i also downloaded AO last night to kill time since I cant play on terra safely ;)

i thought neocron had a bad start for noobs and was ugly as hell ;) I can see we are truely blessed now :D anyway i cant make myself learn a new game, especially one as rediculus as AO, hmm should I be a Bureaucrat or a Meta Physicist I just cant decide ;) at least neocron professions sound like there fun :D

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 22:40
i also downloaded AO last night to kill time since I cant play on terra safely ;)

i thought neocron had a bad start for noobs and was ugly as hell ;) I can see we are truely blessed now :D anyway i cant make myself learn a new game, especially one as rediculus as AO, hmm should I be a Bureaucrat or a Meta Physicist I just cant decide ;) at least neocron professions sound like there fun :D

AO looks ok and has an entire noob area...

AO has a mentor system...

the noob system is the best part of it :p

Obsidian X
25-12-04, 22:54
Looking at these bugs, I'm suprised the whole population of Terranians hasn't gone crazy and started killing each other, as there little else to do with the shadow of a rollback looming.. :wtf: