PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy reward.

hegemon
23-12-04, 10:08
Today I spent a few hours looking for all weapon smugglers and vendors, trying to find the Tangent Plasma Wave. Finally someone told me that I'm not blind, I just couldn't find it because it's somehow sold by CityAdmin and I was looking with my anti-city spy. Not only that, this weapon seems to be only usable by CA. First I wanted to get really pissed off and yell at someone that it's not fair that CA gets a useful weapon in that TL range (only H-C weapon I found that works on long range was the tl63 plasma wave and I was hoping that the tl81 plasma wave was as good). But then I started thinking and realized that this could be turned into something intresting. So here is my proposition on how to solve quite a few problems with faction-specific items.

Please don't scream before reading all 4 points, they are interconnected.

1. Make _everything_ sold by FSMs faction-specific. NEXT vehicles only usable by NEXT, lvl 3 implants only usable by biotech, etc.
2. Change faction-specific to mean "must have at least 60-80 sympathy to use the item".
3. Implement the possibility to hack items to remove the faction restriction.
4. Make the posession of a hacked item a criminal offence to the "owner" faction. (meaning that anyone carrying a hacked weapon, implant, etc. becomes automatically red to all runners and guard of the owner faction).

This would help to slow down ally ganking. Either people have to keep their sympathies up or they are red thus sending a clear warning to everyone around them. People who kill allies with the argument that they don't want to be forced to be friends with anyone would now have the option to choose who they are friends with. You would probably have to hack the items that belong to your enemies, but that's ok. They are enemies after all. Hacking would become a trade skill. One possible twist here would be to require the items to be rehacked every once in a while.

japata
23-12-04, 10:16
I nominate this for the best community idea of the year!

Man, that would make crahn the official ppu+apu team faction. :P

LiL T
23-12-04, 11:53
Well with the current attitude of this community it won't work cos I can sit there spamming trade for over 8 hours for a freaking zerk 3 :( so it would make people quit too many time sinks

Engelke
23-12-04, 11:56
Interessting, but i don't want to use all my game play making symp to use stuff. Monks in pro city will have a problem after each war. Its hard enough as it is to be a monk on pro city side so don't punish them more.

Btw i am not a monk so i could care less, but have to consider my fellow players who are.

Bugs Gunny
23-12-04, 12:04
Very creative idea.
I like some of it but let's not put in more timesinks.

Also, it would make all monks go to crahn, all hc tanks to ca or whatever.
etc.....

Kozmos
23-12-04, 12:15
Well with the current attitude of this community it won't work cos I can sit there spamming trade for over 8 hours for a freaking zerk 3 :( so it would make people quit too many time sinks

, & . are your friends lil t, oh wait... already introduced you 2 havent I :D *hides*

Anyway, wouldnt work, and tbh, your going on about the wrong weapon, your thinking about the SF Plasma Wave, TL 115, not the tangent plasma wave, dont know where to get those from tho.
TG have a faction only weapon aswell, the DOY RayGun cannon ( :lol: ) so its not only CA which do

LiL T
23-12-04, 12:20
, & . are your friends lil t, oh wait... already introduced you 2 havent I :D *hides*

Anyway, wouldnt work, and tbh, your going on about the wrong weapon, your thinking about the SF Plasma Wave, TL 115, not the tangent plasma wave, dont know where to get those from tho.
TG have a faction only weapon aswell, the DOY RayGun cannon (:lol:) so its not only CA which do

Its 10am lol I have been up all night I'm still awake now cos I need to do some shopping ugh I'm so fuking tired :(

Kozmos
23-12-04, 12:23
Its 10am lol I have been up all night I'm still awake now cos I need to do some shopping ugh I'm so fuking tired :(

Its 10am, lol. I have been up all night, I'm still awake now cos I need to do some shopping, ugh I'm so fuking tired. :(

*runs away before getting beaten with a spikey club*

Obsidian X
23-12-04, 16:38
Nice idea in principle, but I don't think you've really thought it through. For example:

Making lvl 3 imps usable only by biotech symp whores will probably gimp about 70% of setups out there. My Melee tank for example uses a Zerk 3 (almost capped), and will need that unless I can find a Herc to replace it. Same with monks, practically all pure monks use Defensiv 3 or Attack 3 and Exp 3 (which would be Crahn only with your plan). As someone said this would pretty much fuck Pro-City monks royally.

Anti-city can't get pro-city symps (or vice versa), or have to waste copious amounts of time doing so, and I think after you've killed so many reds, you're symps are so borked that theres no way of recovering them.

So you can use these items then, but you'll be a criminal, and red to all? Sounds pretty crap to me, I'm a criminal for using a zerk 3?

Then of course, you can hack the faction restriction off these items. In that case, why have it in the first place, as surely everyone will just take items to a hacker, thereby defeating the point in the faction restriction in the first place, ergo, another timesink thats not really necessary (though could make an interesting sub-tradeskill for hackers).

As I said, its not a terrible idea, but it does seem somewhat flawed.

Asurmen Spec Op
23-12-04, 18:48
Or just find a hacker friend to remove the REQ and dont go near biotech HQ.

hegemon
23-12-04, 19:39
So you can use these items then, but you'll be a criminal, and red to all? Sounds pretty crap to me, I'm a criminal for using a zerk 3?

No. Not criminal to everyone. Only criminal to Biotech. So pro-city monks would be criminal (aka. hostile) to Crahn, what else is new? lvl 3 imps could have some low requirement, like 40 symp or something like that, you can choose to waste an hour or two to be friendly to biotech, or just screw it and go hostile. Considering that it already takes many hours to reach the level you need to use lvl 3 implants, one more hour wouldn't make much difference if you really need to be friendly to all.

Another idea. Only allow hacked items if you're without an LE (you're breaking the law after all). LEd players need to pump their sympathies.

Getting sympathies to 50-ish, 60-ish doesn't take a long time. I've done almost all epics with a spy and the thing that took most time was trying to find targets for epic kills, not the tl10 research missions and agressor captain runs.

It could be even as simple as requiring just positive sympathy to be able to use an item. Or at least 10 or 20 or various requirements for various items. It's a small matter of balancing.

mishkin
23-12-04, 22:39
Great idea, although a bit rough...

My 5 cents:

You could get modified lvl 3 imps for instance, with a bit lowered stats, but no symp req. Could bring a normal imp to a hacker who modifies it by hacking it 1, 2 or 3 times with different difficulty. If he modifies it 1 or 2 times it reduces the req, and if he 3 times, it's gone alltogether. Let's say you need a hacker of the faction specific to the item to do the modification.

:cool:

Jesterthegreat
23-12-04, 22:43
1. Make _everything_ sold by FSMs faction-specific. NEXT vehicles only usable by NEXT, lvl 3 implants only usable by biotech, etc. see my sig

2. Change faction-specific to mean "must have at least 60-80 sympathy to use the item". not possible

3. Implement the possibility to hack items to remove the faction restriction. symp restriction not possible, this may not be possible either

4. Make the posession of a hacked item a criminal offence to the "owner" faction. (meaning that anyone carrying a hacked weapon, implant, etc. becomes automatically red to all runners and guard of the owner faction). i doubt copbots have the ability to scan your inv...

This would help to slow down ally ganking. Either people have to keep their sympathies up or they are red thus sending a clear warning to everyone around them. People who kill allies with the argument that they don't want to be forced to be friends with anyone would now have the option to choose who they are friends with. You would probably have to hack the items that belong to your enemies, but that's ok. They are enemies after all. Hacking would become a trade skill. One possible twist here would be to require the items to be rehacked every once in a while.

players should stop ally killing... dont expect KK to do everything for you.

Darkana
24-12-04, 04:21
TL 81 Tangent Plasma Wave can be aquired from the smuggler in VR3 and has no faction restriction. As Kozmos already said, the only Plasma Wave with faction restriction is the TL 110 Special Forces Plasma Wave (CA).

hegemon
24-12-04, 13:34
TL 81 Tangent Plasma Wave can be aquired from the smuggler in VR3 and has no faction restriction. As Kozmos already said, the only Plasma Wave with faction restriction is the TL 110 Special Forces Plasma Wave (CA).

Aha! Thank you. I was misinformed. It still doesn't change the idea though. :)

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 14:20
the idea is flawed as its not possible.

weapons / items cannot have a symp requirement.

i discussed this with snowcrash in the beta re: copbot plasma rifle / TG plasma wave (which changed to SF plasma wave and the crappy TG thing). i suggested having a symp req so it could be an alliance weapon... but was told its just not possible.

mishkin
24-12-04, 14:23
If you can have a symp requirement on traders (90 symp to trade with the FSM) then why the hell wouldn't that be applicable to weapons/items? 8|

Jesterthegreat
24-12-04, 14:27
If you can have a symp requirement on traders (90 symp to trade with the FSM) then why the hell wouldn't that be applicable to weapons/items? 8|

telling it how i know it.

snowcrash said it was not possible.