PDA

View Full Version : Is....

Dribble Joy
22-12-04, 10:51
Damage calculated client or server side?

Just wondering after getting some rather odd info.

Terayon
22-12-04, 11:01
server side. they had some client side damage a long time ago. worked realy well in that a mob would always get damaged and register much faster. but they changed it to server side becouse of some bug or exploiting or somthin.

LiL T
22-12-04, 11:02
I read somewhere its estimated client side then the server sends the real ammount so the estimated is there to show your taking damage. While the client waits for the server to send the real damage ammount

Selendor
22-12-04, 13:02
Seems to be server side now much more than in Neocron 1. This explains how you can get insta death in an OP fight when things start to lag (kills my PPU all time)

[VP]Orion
22-12-04, 13:26
I read somewhere its estimated client side then the server sends the real ammount so the estimated is there to show your taking damage. While the client waits for the server to send the real damage ammount
This is exactly how it works. And this is the reason we have "jojo health". For some strange reason cant the client simply calculate the damage correctly so it first looks like you take 100 damage but then the server corrects it to 20 damage. The effect seems to be bigger when you are buffed than when your not.

You used to be able to be killed both from the client and the server. That meant that if the client calculated that you had 0 health left (even though the server said you had 50 left), the client would kill you. Nowadays its only the server than can kill you. Good change. This is the reason you dont always die even though you are at 0 health.

My first thought states: "How hard can it be to just copy the formula from the server and use it in the client?" Then I think abit more and realizes that it could of coz be due to the client not having all info. For example random damage weapons, could be that the server does the "real randomization" (theres no real random numbers in computers...) and the client just takes some standard number and calculates. Could also be that the client guesses that some attacks from a burst hits but that the server says only half of them hit. Who knows? I hope KK someday finds a way to more or less eliminate the jojohealth though.