PDA

View Full Version : What does 'M&M' stand for?

SirRah
21-12-04, 19:57
Right title says all.

What do both "M"s in M&M stand for? Anyone know?

I do mean this thread serious as i just had a debate about it with a mate and we couldnt come to a conclusion.

Ack wrong forum, move to off-topic please. :o

Lexxuk
21-12-04, 20:03
The idea for "M&M's"® Chocolate was born in the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War. Legend has it that on a trip to Spain, Forrest Mars Sr. encountered soldiers who were eating pellets of chocolate that were encased in a hard sugary coating to prevent them from melting. Inspired by this idea, Mr. Mars went back to his kitchen and invented the recipe for "M&M's"® Chocolate.

I would therefore assume that the M&M is in relation to Mars, possibly Mr and Mrs Mars (Mars and Mars), ergo, Mars and Mars Chocolate

Vithar
21-12-04, 20:10
Thread moved.

V

Spermy
21-12-04, 20:14
MY GOD!

He's right!

Xeno LARD
21-12-04, 20:29
http://uk.mms.com/mms/uk/about/history/default.htm

QuantumDelta
21-12-04, 21:16
nice copy/paste.

Darth Slayer
21-12-04, 21:45
I'm sure over clan chat I said they was chocolates in fact a fair few of us did.
Horrible icky chocolates but still chocolate.

Scorpius.

zii
21-12-04, 22:07
I'm sure over clan chat I said they was chocolates in fact a fair few of us did.
Horrible icky chocolates but still chocolate.

Scorpius.

M&Ms are not chocolate. The only conutry that sells chocolate is Belgium. The rest of the world's wares taste horrible, and this includes San Francisco's pride and joy, whose name escapes me for the moment. (Italian sounding I think.)

The reason for Belgium's good chocolate is for the same reason that Germanys beer is so good: Laws that ensure only high quality ingredients are used, and the removal of artificial chemicals.

This became obvious after I made a trip to the US recently, where I saw a Godiva shop. I love Godiva, and bought some choccies, which I promptly dumped in the nearest bin much to the horror of passers by. I read the back of the packet and noticed that they had not been made in Belgium.

Later I was in a mall where I saw a Neuhaus stall - the very best of Belgian chocolates. I tasted them and they tasted great. The lady told me that because the US Godiva choccies were made in the US they could use less coco solids and introduce artificial preservatives et al., which made them taste like plastic. However, Nauhaus had refused to have them made in the US for this reason, and therefore were imported. They were still, however, a simliar price as the US made Godiva, but tasted as good as ever.

Now, you know what to buy me for Chrissie.

Lexxuk
21-12-04, 22:56
meh, I dont like Belgian chocolate, tastes way to bland. And yes, it was a copy/paste, whats your point? Rah wanted to know, I found out :rolleyes:

Spermy
22-12-04, 00:02
Now, you know what to buy me for Chrissie.

A stomach pump? o_O

wombat74
22-12-04, 00:05
A stomach pump? o_O

Exercise Machine

*Dazz*
22-12-04, 00:22
I thought they were "W"'s.... :confused:

QuantumDelta
22-12-04, 00:43
meh, I dont like Belgian chocolate, tastes way to bland. And yes, it was a copy/paste, whats your point? Rah wanted to know, I found out :rolleyes:
Stop trying to look clever and try quoting your sources?
Ya know, giving people credit... giving your point credibility.
Rather than whoring it?

Dribble Joy
22-12-04, 00:48
The reason for Belgium's good chocolate is for the same reason that Germanys beer is so good:
ppppftt!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

Nvidia
22-12-04, 00:48
nice copy/paste.

At least Rah can be assured that the source is correct. :D

Lexxuk
22-12-04, 01:28
Rather than whoring it?

Yes, I'm so totally sure that any person would write like that, was pretty obvious it was a pasted source simply due to the fact I made a conclusion on it, if you dont have the intelligence to understand such a basic concept, then thats your problem, not mine.

jernau
22-12-04, 01:36
Let me get this straight - he saw something then went home and made EXACTLY the same thing and he "invented" it. O_o

Terayon
22-12-04, 01:47
I thought you ment the meat shops. Chocolate is so overated. Exept for maybe chocolate syrup... and icecream...

jini
22-12-04, 13:00
Rather than whoring it? He predicted what the m&m thing stands for, don't he?
Besides, copy/pasting is better than redirecting

Maui
22-12-04, 13:13
tbh german beer suxx

belgian beer, dutch beer >>uk//irish//scotish beer > german beer >>>>>>>>>>>(million >'s)>>>>>> US beer :P

Darth Slayer
22-12-04, 14:40
tbh german beer suxx

belgian beer, dutch beer >>uk//irish//scotish beer > german beer >>>>>>>>>>>(million >'s)>>>>>> US beer :P
Actually it's Guiness >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Or more appropiatly it's Irish Guiness>>>>>English Guiness>>>>>Everything else.

Scorpius.

Gotterdammerung
22-12-04, 17:13
I know it may be a stretch for, but please try to find constructive ways to NOT flame/troll against others in a thread as innocent as chocolates

Lexxuk
22-12-04, 18:31
I know it may be a stretch for, but please try to find constructive ways to NOT flame/troll against others in a thread as innocent as chocolates

you ever say that to a girl about chocolates, she will tear your hair out!! chocolate is a serious subject :p

jernau
22-12-04, 18:41
you ever say that to a girl about chocolates, she will tear your hair out!! chocolate is a serious subject :p
Or a Belgian it seems. ;)

Lexxuk
22-12-04, 18:44
Or a Belgian it seems. ;)

True, though i do recal the EU wanting to ban the use of chocolate unless it was produced inside Beligium (or swiss, i dunno) because it isnt really chocolate, its a buttermilk substitue or something, so M&M Chocolate would end up as M&M Buttermilk Substitute (With peanuts!!)

retr0n
22-12-04, 19:51
Let me get this straight - he saw something then went home and made EXACTLY the same thing and he "invented" it. O_o

rofl that cracked me up :p

Mr Kot
23-12-04, 14:23
I thought they were "W"'s.... :confused:

LOL, it's like the fable of the blonde who worked at the M&Ms factory in quality control. She was fired after rejecting all the Ws :lol:

Back on topic tho.. (no choccie pun intended :p ) .. M&M stands for Mars and Murrie. Bruce Murrie was a business partner of Forrest Mars. They co-operated on the first production of M&Ms.

RogerRamjet
25-12-04, 16:16
Give me a bar of Cadbury's Bournevill anyday tbh.

Or Old Jamaican

Spermy
25-12-04, 17:26
Actually it's Guiness >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Or more appropiatly it's Irish Guiness>>>>>English Guiness>>>>>Everything else.

Scorpius.

You sir - have the bestest taste - EVAR!

Y'know what - I actually got a shamrock on my last pint of guiness I got from the student union!

Only - it was kind of a let down, because she sunk that template thing in, rather than etching it...

=/

Cliffraiser
25-12-04, 17:39
Hertog Jan > rest, though there are some nice belgian beers that come close to HJ.

Spermy
25-12-04, 18:19
Hertog Jan > rest, though there are some nice belgian beers that come close to HJ.

Screw beer - give me guiness.

Pfft.

Or failing that, a pint of woodpecker.

jernau
25-12-04, 19:40
woodpeckero_O

Pikey!!

Spermy
25-12-04, 20:12
o_O

Pikey!!

Pfft...

Well - I don't really have a leg to stand on...

AT least I didn't asdk for a bottle of "sod"...

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 20:50
does drinking Wife Beater (Stella) make me a steriotypical Essex Boy? o_O

tbh i tend to drink Carling... as for Guiness? Filth of the Irish...

Ascension
25-12-04, 21:10
aww, Mmm Stella.. whats wrong with the odd bottle of lager? ;)

Freaky Fryd
25-12-04, 21:48
Bah...forget all this beer talk and just hand me a bottle of Southern Comfort...
:D

As for chocolate...meh, not much of an authority on it, but I probably wouldn't
enjoy the Belgian stuff, due to being subjected and accustomed to the Canadian stuff for so long.

At least in Canada, our Smarties are candy coated chocolate, and not "Rockets" with a different label...
:p

http://www.psycholights.com/freak/smarties-canadiansmarties.jpg

http://www.psycholights.com/freak/smarties-us-vs-canada-2003.jpg
(NOTE: The "Smarties" from the States were made in Canada, and are exactly the same in taste as the Rockets. They are just the same product, just with a different label.)

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 22:02
At least in Canada, our Smarties are candy coated chocolate, and not "Rockets" with a different label...

wtf...

thats what americans think smarties are?!

jernau
25-12-04, 22:04
wtf...

"rubbers" - nuff said.

LOST
25-12-04, 22:33
and they wonder why the world picks on them.

i believe they also have 'chocolate' that is infact a 'candy' bar that is flavoured. a subsitute of some Enumber variety. doesnt cadbury own like 90% of the cocoa plants in the world or something....earlier this year i believe they started buying the producing plants !?!?!? probably shit...ignore that....

as for stella....why ???? i dont get it ??? wierdo's :rolleyes:

THEY IS FOOKING REFRESHERS NOT SMARTIES !!!!!1111111111
ps. we like canadia and canadians.

Jesterthegreat
25-12-04, 22:36
and they wonder why the world picks on them.

i believe they also have 'chocolate' that is infact a 'candy' bar that is flavoured. a subsitute of some Enumber variety. doesnt cadbury own like 90% of the cocoa plants in the world or something....earlier this year i believe they started buying the producing plants !?!?!? probably shit...ignore that....

as for stella....why ???? i dont get it ??? wierdo's :rolleyes:

THEY IS FOOKING REFRESHERS NOT SMARTIES !!!!!1111111111
ps. we like canadia and canadians.

yeah they looked like refreshers to me (cheap crappy ones...)

Freaky Fryd
25-12-04, 22:43
wtf...

Yeah
*shakes head in despair*

They think they have beer there too!
They're even more disillusioned than us Canadians...at least ours had a good alcohol %...
;)

sanityislost
25-12-04, 22:50
Yeah
*shakes head in despair*

They think they have beer there too!
They're even more disillusioned than us Canadians...at least ours had a good alcohol %...
;)

Lol thats true, but least they gave the world one good think...mmmmm Jack D!

SiL ..:..

jernau
25-12-04, 22:55
yeah they looked like refreshers to me (cheap crappy ones...)
I have to agree - they are refreshers in even tackier packaging.

SiL - We already know you are a sicko, no need to go that far. :p

Cliffraiser
25-12-04, 23:51
[QUOTE=Freaky Fryd]Bah...forget all this beer talk and just hand me a bottle of Southern Comfort...
:D

As for chocolate...meh, not much of an authority on it, but I probably wouldn't
enjoy the Belgian stuff, due to being subjected and accustomed to the Canadian stuff for so long.

http://www.psycholights.com/freak/smarties-canadiansmarties.jpg

http://www.psycholights.com/freak/smarties-us-vs-canada-2003.jpg
(NOTE: The "Smarties" from the States were made in Canada, and are exactly the same in taste as the Rockets. They are just the same product, meep