PDA

View Full Version : Server Merge? Why not?

Archa Ic
20-12-04, 11:30
Ok, people! Don't all shout on me all at once asking what i am talking about, that all servers are well alone ect...
But think for a minute, 45% on Mars, 25% on Terra, 11% on Pandore, 13% on mercury... Thats close to 90-100% And that baby is 1000 players!
:D
I know it would lead to lots of technical problems, RolePlayers, Hardcore Gamers, French, English, Germans... Ect... SO language problems, but maybe such a better game quality! More players, More clans, Big wars, More people in the cities!

I would say maybe a 2 slot serv, so evry body is happy! (RPers wants 1, Hardecore wants 4)

So let's discuss it people! :)

Spermy
20-12-04, 11:39
I know it would lead to lots of technical problems, RolePlayers, Hardcore Gamers, French, English, Germans... Ect... SO language problems, but maybe such a better game quality! More players, More clans, Big wars, More people in the cities!

:)

I think those are the main probs really - BUT! if NC hits the shop's in europe and internationally as it should do with ataris backing - I can see a lot more people joining all servers.

Your best bet is to wait for a boxed release and see what happens.

*/set waiting_game 1
*/set Kill_self 1

x.x

athon
20-12-04, 11:44
1) 2 slots will NOT keep 4 slot players happy - I for one certainly don't want to lose 4 of my characters across my 2 accounts.

2) Who says that 100% is a good thing? Personally I'm happy with the current population levels on Terra - it's at just about the right level to have a good, fun server without it being too overcrowded.

3) The logisitics and technicalities on KK's side would be huge. Look at how much effort it took to snapshot us for DoY - and this time they'd need to deal with keys, apartments, epics, items, clans and cash too, otherwise it would totally piss off everyone who's worked so hard since the NC2 tansition wipe.

4) Pandore is run by a seperate company - that won't be touched.

5) Who says 100% is still 1000 players? That was a level that was announced as being set when the %age system was first introduced. It could easily have changed.

6) You have not taken into account that the peak times on different servers can be at slightly different times of the day. Terra, for example, peaks slightly higher than your figure at about 30%. This means your figures could actually add up to OVER 100% - people aren't going to be happy if we do all this mergining then the servers are overcrowded.

7) Boxed editions have not yet been released (in most regions). The introduction of the boxed editions of NC2 could increase server populatios further (I, and I'm sure KK too, hope it does).

8) PbC has not been completed yet. There are still people who are waiting for this payment method to transfer over, or those who have had problems trying to use C2P and have decided to wait until this payment method is available to try again. Again, this could increase populations further.

9) Who says that the servers can handle 100% capacity. For all we know this level of usage may never have been tested on the servers and to suddenyl force this number of people on the servers could cause major technical problems.

Hmmm... damn - 1 more and I'd have a nice round 10. Oh well.

Athon Solo

Bugs Gunny
20-12-04, 11:50
10. Most people won't understand half of OOC and HELP channels ;-)

Terayon
20-12-04, 12:01
I think a better solution would be to give players the ability to transfer chars to other servers. One server would naturaly have most of the people on it anyways like that. But a server merge would be great.

eLcHi
20-12-04, 12:39
* eLcHi points at his signature ...

And that`s without tradeskillers and only my Terra-Chars ... have some more on Mercury / Mars ;)

athon
20-12-04, 12:50
* eLcHi points at his signature ...

And that`s without tradeskillers and only my Terra-Chars ... have some more on Mercury / Mars ;)
That's a good point. The players who currently have characters on multiple servers will have even more to lose in a merge.

Athon Solo

[VP]Orion
20-12-04, 12:51
Besides, at around 600-700 people the servers are starting to lag. 1000 would be unplayable. Sure, I'd love to have some more players but its really not THAT bad. 500 people could be fun. But not more.

giga191
20-12-04, 12:58
The way that I see it is that we are getting a good deal with 4 character slot servers. If you have servers with one or two character slots then people just start having multiple acounts which then defeats the point of having less character slots

Vanten
20-12-04, 13:13
I say that why not merge mercury and terra. Why? because we allready have many germans on terra, witch chosed terra for some reason (maybe pop). And i don't see language as a problem really.

The problem then comes to the whole epic/key problem witch couldn't be solved during the NC/NC2 transfer.

Darth Slayer
20-12-04, 13:45
You do know that they increased the server side so 100 % don't mean 1000 players. Not sure how much they increased it by tho.

Scorpius.

LTA
20-12-04, 13:56
i say its plain n simply to late for a server merge, if they were gonna do it should've been done at retail start not now, to many chars built up across servers dont want them and all the work i put into them deleted.

8 chars on Terra, 4 on Pandore, 1 on mercury

Terayon
20-12-04, 14:03
darth slayer where did you get that from? anyone have any official word on that they can quote? or is it all just gueses?

Maui
20-12-04, 14:14
yaay, the more ppl the more ppl to kill =]

SorkZmok
20-12-04, 14:33
I got 8 active chars on terra, 2 on mars, 4 on mercury. And i think 5 more still not assigned to a server.
What should happen to those?

Lets wait for more retail versions and see.

Brammers
20-12-04, 14:41
No chance, and I've always seen Terra around the high 30's.

Us Pluto peeps have already been stealth merged to Terra with Saturn and Uranus. How many more ex-Pluto players you want to quit?

And also if you merged all servers together it would get way too crowded. Quanity != Quality.

Obsidian X
20-12-04, 16:06
The most I ever remember seeing Terra was at around 60-65% in Beta. With this many people on the server, certain zones lagged, and I got thrown out of my appartment about 5 or 6 times (into the middle of the wastes at times) becuase of synch bugs. Theres definitely a correlation between population and synchs. And of course, most Terranians have more than 2 characters, so we all stand to lose out there.

Sorry, but I'm totally against a server merge now.

Dribble Joy
20-12-04, 16:33
I think a better solution would be to give players the ability to transfer chars to other servers.
The only thing here I agree with.

Admitedly because I would want to move my char to a one slot int server if one was made.
There won't be one though.

Jesterthegreat
20-12-04, 22:18
1) 2 slots will NOT keep 4 slot players happy - I for one certainly don't want to lose 4 of my characters across my 2 accounts. i had to sacrifice 5 of my chars for non english servers as it is... had saturn full, uranus full and pluto... as well as a jupi char. so i agree with you

2) Who says that 100% is a good thing? Personally I'm happy with the current population levels on Terra - it's at just about the right level to have a good, fun server without it being too overcrowded. again agreed... a few more tradeskillers owuld make it easier, but all in all it seems good as it is

3) The logisitics and technicalities on KK's side would be huge. Look at how much effort it took to snapshot us for DoY - and this time they'd need to deal with keys, apartments, epics, items, clans and cash too, otherwise it would totally piss off everyone who's worked so hard since the NC2 tansition wipe.
theoretically it could all be xfered bar keys (apt's, vech's). we saw from the beta transfer that its capable of xfering epics.

4) Pandore is run by a seperate company - that won't be touched.
yup

5) Who says 100% is still 1000 players? That was a level that was announced as being set when the %age system was first introduced. It could easily have changed.
it doesnt matter how many it is as it has been stated the server will hold more than 100%. i dont know why they use %'s at all if thats the case though :p

6) You have not taken into account that the peak times on different servers can be at slightly different times of the day. Terra, for example, peaks slightly higher than your figure at about 30%. This means your figures could actually add up to OVER 100% - people aren't going to be happy if we do all this mergining then the servers are overcrowded.
this is a good reason for merging tbh... have all the peak times on one server means that server has lots of people on most times :D

7) Boxed editions have not yet been released (in most regions). The introduction of the boxed editions of NC2 could increase server populatios further (I, and I'm sure KK too, hope it does).
we all hope it does... but how many will have quit by then? and with the amount of people with knowledge of the game who will explain a pistol tank isnt a very viable pvp setup? who will tell them that resist psi is useless? who will tell them a silencer needs a slot? how long will they stay when they cant do anything they want? :p

8) PbC has not been completed yet. There are still people who are waiting for this payment method to transfer over, or those who have had problems trying to use C2P and have decided to wait until this payment method is available to try again. Again, this could increase populations further. again... how long will they wait before they cnap?

9) Who says that the servers can handle 100% capacity. For all we know this level of usage may never have been tested on the servers and to suddenyl force this number of people on the servers could cause major technical problems.
in open beta the server pops must have got close to 100%, even if they didnt hit it. and if kk made a server with a relative % (they have said it can hold more than 100%) then they should have made the % lower.

Hmmm... damn - 1 more and I'd have a nice round 10. Oh well.

Athon Solo

Jesterthegreat

Archa Ic
21-12-04, 03:06
There are a lot of good arguments in there... For the "More is not better" Well, more clans = More fights. More people = Cities with real populations... Guess what?! More fights! :p Areas overcrowded? Oh Gosh! More fights :D... And out of a 1000 players (let's say average) i am sure we can get a decent 100 players RP community ^^... I agree it would be a big mess between germans, Frenchies, english and soon enough asians! But hey! So what? Isn't Neocron supposed to be a big vity with lots of different tribes, ect... Different languages would fight... U would have the French Tsunamies, Fighting against the German Black Dragons... Ok i am wrong here, they are both on the same side since DOY i now :P :rolleyes: But anyways...

Also, well i mean, you have 12 chars, ect... I mean u have the time to play all of them? To capp all of them? ^^ Gooood! What a lot of time u have ^^... :D

And also that many character common! Let the economy run a little bet... What i like about 1 slot servs is that you only have one choice... Limits a bit the numbers of PPUs, ect... And improves the game economy, but true, but one is very very little... So well 2 i like... But it both have balanced arguments...

The boxed editions might bring more people in, but will neocron 2, with very little commericials stand against the other more advertised MMOs???

For the money, well just run different zones on different servers, might not be that difficult... I mean orher MMOs do that ^^...

But as i said its only an idea... Doubt it will be applyed, but would add some taste to the game!

More More More ^^...