PDA

View Full Version : Can a PPU be effective with < 200 PSU?

Obsidian X
18-12-04, 22:54
Title says it all really. Once I've capped my APU, I'm planning to go pure PPU. I'm also working on a setup that will allow my PPU to poke TL 115 with the right combo of buffs/drugs/machina glove, and also allows him to hack belts (100 HCK), again with the correct buffs. The setup I have so far constructed leaves him with 195 PSU. Could a PPU cap all spells with 195 PSU, I'm not sure as I've never played a high level PPU before (only blessed/holy deflector sort of level).

Edit: I know, theres one glaring flaw in this plan - this setup is based on an INT 100 monk, which unless KK change INT gain on monks, that won't be happening any time soon :P

Kozmos
18-12-04, 23:02
Should be fine, Cya in 2 years when you cap your INT from daily grinding though

Obsidian X
18-12-04, 23:08
Should be fine, Cya in 2 years when you cap your INT from daily grinding though

Haha yeah sounds about right, I can't actually believe Monks get an INT WoC skill :lol: What kind of masochist would want to gain WoC levels of INT at the current rate? :wtf:

Dargeshaad
18-12-04, 23:24
Title says it all really. Once I've capped my APU, I'm planning to go pure PPU. I'm also working on a setup that will allow my PPU to poke TL 115 with the right combo of buffs/drugs/machina glove, and also allows him to hack belts (100 HCK), again with the correct buffs. The setup I have so far constructed leaves him with 195 PSU. Could a PPU cap all spells with 195 PSU, I'm not sure as I've never played a high level PPU before (only blessed/holy deflector sort of level).

Edit: I know, theres one glaring flaw in this plan - this setup is based on an INT 100 monk, which unless KK change INT gain on monks, that won't be happening any time soon :P

Don't LOM your apu to ppu.
And make NC a better place.
Thanks.

El Jimben
19-12-04, 01:45
My ppu had 180 ppu and 178ish psi use and nearly capped store bought lvl3 buffs :) But capping rodf and dmg on holy heal/s/d was fine with that setup. How much ppu u planning to have? My setup is with capped psi, ppu pa3 and 88 base int

Obsidian X
19-12-04, 02:00
My ppu had 180 ppu and 178ish psi use and nearly capped store bought lvl3 buffs. How much ppu u planning to have? My setup is with capped psi, ppu pa3 and 88 base int

I was thinking 180 PPU, but with that in mind, 198 PSI Use seems a tad overkill. If thats the case I can take some of those critical points away from PSU and chuck them into HCK. That said, the 198 PSI Use is dependant on the Crahn gauntlet, without which its 178 PSU.

Sloterdijk
19-12-04, 02:03
sure its absolutely no problem,
a ppu with pa can poke tl 115 (with drug, glove, buff), hack 110 to hack a layer of an outpost (with buff) and cap even the highest ppu spells.
needless to say that u need high quality spells to cap them with 175 psu or less, but its possible when u got enough points @ ppu.
and cause of the crahn epic glove u got more than enough mana (360 to 380) and dont even need int cap, its possible with like INT 93.

Sloterdijk

james_finn
19-12-04, 02:14
OK being an ex-old school PPU im going to have to disagree with the last post. If you want to be a fully combat orientated PPU then my recommendation is to put all your intel onto PSU. Not only does this increase the mana, but also decreases the chances of a failed cast, and increases the speed upon which you can runcast spells. Put it this way I used to know someone who could walk cast the holy rezz, or do a dance on top of th body he was ressing.

If you really want a trade skill it is possible, but only one, in no way would i recommend that 110 in hack and 115 poke would be viable, unless you dont want to runcast holy heals and holy shelters (which I found very useful...).

Delphi
-Retired PPU - Pandore - ex P.I.M.P. -

eprodigy
19-12-04, 03:20
it may be pushign it to have 2 int tradeskills tbh, although with capped int you could have;

hck- 110
psu-150
imp-114

with ds and no drugs - spy3 for hack and imp.

Obsidian X
19-12-04, 03:39
it may be pushign it to have 2 int tradeskills tbh, although with capped int you could have;

hck- 110
psu-150
imp-114

with ds and no drugs - spy3 for hack and imp.

Well my plan was to spec exactly 68 Base into imp - that would allow me to poke 115 using spy3/nightshade/imp glove. Taking INT capped as an example would allow me to spec 80 HCK (+ 20 Spy3 to make 100 - heard that will be sufficient for belts), leaving 196 PSU with my setup - this is an INT capped monk however, which I'm not sure many of them even exist these days O_o

SirRah
19-12-04, 03:50
Haha yeah sounds about right, I can't actually believe Monks get an INT WoC skill :lol: What kind of masochist would want to gain WoC levels of INT at the current rate? :wtf:

My PPU mate has capped int and like 50 million overcap in int. he's close to woc lvl 2 as well. so it is possible. it seems like KK raised the INT gain compared to NC1 as it used to be a lot slower.

as for the rest i agree with sloterdijk on this. ;)

Serpent
19-12-04, 11:46
Well my plan was to spec exactly 68 Base into imp - that would allow me to poke 115 using spy3/nightshade/imp glove. Taking INT capped as an example would allow me to spec 80 HCK (+ 20 Spy3 to make 100 - heard that will be sufficient for belts), leaving 196 PSU with my setup - this is an INT capped monk however, which I'm not sure many of them even exist these days O_otake a drug for HCK, and you dont need int cap.

japata
19-12-04, 12:02
Remember that with implant skill you can change one of your normal imps to a hacking imp pretty fast if you're hacking the first layer for example.

QuantumDelta
19-12-04, 17:14
Well, my PPU has had poke since time began.
Though I doubt there's many left that remember my antics in op wars..
Needless to say:
It helps, but I don't feel it's something you can't overcome with skill.

Mr Kot
19-12-04, 22:22
My apu was gimped when he had 69 in poke (still does) and the remainder in PSU. All that changed when he got the Gaya Tacholythium gauntlet. The extra 20 PSU ungimps him.

I was toying with the idea of lomming the 69 poke - which i was VERY reluctant to do - and i calculated that doing so would release enough skill points to add another glorious 17 to PSU. The glove was the answer to my prayers as i have more PSU than an ungimped apu with a regular glove.

I can have my cake and eat it now. ;)

For those monks without a Gaya glove.......GET ONE!!!

Argent
19-12-04, 22:33
Can't comment on PPU but my APU has 101 hack and 200 PSU, can't say it's bad since I cap all my rare spells just like that. Gaya glove rocks.

LiL T
19-12-04, 22:37
I making my monk full PSU will I benifit from this or is it a waste of points I'm wanting full PSU to run cast easly and think it effect rate of fire ?

sultana
20-12-04, 03:01
I making my monk full PSU will I benifit from this or is it a waste of points I'm wanting full PSU to run cast easly and think it effect rate of fire ?
Full PSU was good was good in nc1, though really only mattered when you were alone, psi 3 makes up more then enough in your int, unless you specced for melee 3.

Now the gaya glove is basically like constantly running around with a PSI 3, my ppu used to have 70 base implant (tl117 with buff, glove, drug and 86 with buff). And still 216 PSU, so well, kinda pointless to get anymore than that :lol: Put it this way, the gaya glove is like a free 100 points in intel.

eprodigy
20-12-04, 08:44
you also might considering just speccing for 85ish implant, for everything but MC5's.

Zeres
20-12-04, 11:42
I am going the same way (poke, hack, psu) on my PPU. How much hacking is needed to hack the hard mobs (no OPs, just mobs in Ceres Lab or Juggernauts)?

I am even thinking about skilling few points into apu to cast very low level off. spells. Pistol seems to be useless. Only other option would be m-c, but i am not sure if its a good way to go. Any input would be helpful.

thx

edit: i was planing on useing a smart cybereye 4 for int and hacking-bonus. Maybe even advanced nerves 3 for more int/hacking).

Zeres
20-12-04, 13:36
ok, forget smart cybereye 4, just noticed it need high dex to use it. :-/

Kopaka
20-12-04, 13:53

my PPU had intel woc...
i got 182 PSU and i cap all but holy para (34/min)
i got hmmm 140 hack with buffs, no drug.
but gonna tweak it a little, back to 189 / 190 PSU.
184 is enough to cap all spells i think, dunno bout group spells but u cap freq on Holy Para

Obsidian X
20-12-04, 15:16
take a drug for HCK, and you dont need int cap.

Thats an idea! Then I can skill 68 into hack, pop a Dolinskin when necessary to put me to +80 HCK, then a SPY3 to make it 100! Or thereabouts.

Dribble Joy
20-12-04, 18:25
you also might considering just speccing for 85ish implant, for everything but MC5's.
Get base 68 imp and with spy3/NS/glove you can poke 115.

Carinth
20-12-04, 19:51
A long time ago it mattered a whole lot, the difference between 170psu and 200psu was enormous. You're much slower casting your spells. To make up for it you'd hafta boost ppu, which means less for ppw and a crappy pool. Back then I always had fun showing tradeskill ppu's how much they were gimped. You get used to a slow casting speed and think that's just how it is, well try loming and see how insane a combat specced ppu could be.

But that's no longer the case, with drugs, tradeskiller gloves, and the epic crahn glove, there are plenty of ways to boost your otherwise gimp setup to something just as good as a combat setup. Especialy now since Holy Cath Sanct and Holy Antipoison Sanct are gone, there's no real high end spells worth aiming for. When was the last time anyone used Holy Group Shelter or Sanct?

Going for two tradeskills might be stretching it, you'd definitly have to take some performance hit. And speed is everything to a ppu, you want to be able to cast your spells as fast as possible.

Skill can make up for a gimp setup, but its adding extra burden to an already stressful class. Back in the day I was a researcher/poker/repairer/driver/ppu, gimped as hell. But I fought the very best combat specced ppu's, until I just had to follow suit. It was amazing how much your ability jumps once you take off the handicaps. I switched to a combat setup and was instantly a super ppu.

QuantumDelta
20-12-04, 21:16
Carinth:
Training with restrictions, be that weights in combat training, or speed restrictions in defencive training, or what have you, puts you at an advantage as soon as those restrictions are removed.

You, and your body or mind will adapt and strive to see itself equal to those around it, if not better, quite naturally.

With those added restrictions, it will still attempt to do so as long as they are not over the top.

Therefore leaving the actual state of your body and mind above that of those around you, once it's gone :D

Spermy
20-12-04, 21:21
I can have my cake and eat it now. ;)

For those monks without a Gaya glove.......GET ONE!!!

Ladies and gents - that is one fat, happy man.

Go get a glove and you too can soon scoff all the cakeypies you want!