PDA

View Full Version : Terra Server Problems

Firebob
17-12-04, 22:27
Just to state the the fact, I have a crappy comp.
Winxp
Radeon 9200
intel celeron 2.8ghz cpu
1.5 gigs of RAM
Running DircetX 7

I've been playing NC2 Since Open Beta, Ihavent had any real problems( just the same problems everyone has)

I had to reformat my computer because it was so clogged with spyware nothing worked. After I reformatted and got my comp running I reinstalled nc2, this is where the problems started.

At first nothing went wrong, then I noticed that when I was firing weapons that the user-side client would gothrough teh motions( gun firing sequence, wait, gun firing, wait) but only 1 or 2 of my bullets would actually get sent to the server and actually show up as doing damage.
I thought it might be DX installed wrong so I reinstalled it, but it kept happening. yesterday the problems got worse, I try to log onto the server and it takes forever and a day to do so( it either takes forever{more than 40 secondes}, or it lookes like it froze after "updating Data" then pops back to the logon screen. And when I actually do get on the game, I get unusual lag ( server doesnt respond to me trying to open a door or fire a wep) for like 3 min., I'll also get booted off quite regularly( game goes back to the logon screen). I dont know whats causing this problem, I've checked the file integrity; reintalled Nc2;and updated my dx to 9.0(noting changed) then reset it to 7.

I'm just getting tired of fighting the program so I'm asking for help here. And hoping somone has an answer. If I can figure it out by the end of next week I'm probably going to end up canceling my account :(

Darth Slayer
17-12-04, 22:37
Could it be your firewall or Virus checker ?

Scorpius.

Firebob
17-12-04, 23:14
I dont think it's my firewall( as in I dont have anthing but the nwb microsoft connection firewall going) I dont keep an anti-virus active whan I'm playing games. I usually close down all other apps to try and get good fps and crap.

I think I've deduced the problem to My Internet connection, I realized this as I just tried to Play CSS and I was jumping and skipping around the map without a good reason ( I was playing on a server less than 20 miles away I had 32ping and 42fps the whole time). But thats just a hunch. there are 3 other computers on the network so I'm going to run antivirus and adaware on all three after I get done writing this.

Firebob
17-12-04, 23:59
hopefully I'm fixing the problem, just ran adaware on my gf's little brothers computer and found 82 things on it. all of it was things like browser hijackers and those really nasty spyware things that slow donw your nternet conection( there was like 4 of the same one installed on the compute :eek: )

Odin
18-12-04, 00:29
When reinstalling Xp there is stuff that will infect your computer in the simple time of connecting to the net and downloading your firewall. MS does give away SP2 on disc for free though which is good for anyone who reinstalls pretty regularily:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Firebob
18-12-04, 01:06
thx odin, I'm dling it now .. . . had to dl like 30 other update from microcrap to get it to finaly let me dl it though 8|
hopefully this fixes it.

Firebob
18-12-04, 02:51
well that solved almost all the problems, I still get those periods of lag, but they last for only like 10-30 seconds. any way to fix that? I've reinstalled Dx 7 and 9 but it doesnt change anything. any suggestions?

thx for the help Odin, that eally shaved alot of time off the process.

LiL T
18-12-04, 06:40
Get a hold of that SP2 disk asap it will save you alot of problems I reformat once every 4 - 5 months or when ever it gets to much crap on it.

Firebob
18-12-04, 07:34
lol I just dl'd it off the site. I got a dvd burner so I can basicly hold my system files on it so I'm makng a backup disc :p but ya its made things better. The game is doing even better now but I still get that lag I ws talking about everyonce in a while.

Seven
18-12-04, 07:59
The game is doing even better now but I still get that lag I ws talking about everyonce in a while.

We all get it due to the memory leak in the game.
It's getting better with each patch though.

If you have 1.5 gig of ram or more the memory leak is barely noticable, so more ram is always a good thing if you are going to upgrade anyway.