PDA

View Full Version : New Machine....Weeeee

QuantumDelta
13-12-04, 22:18
Been Saving for a month or two, finally put my order in, I have my reasons for everything on this list, so if you have a good point as to why not to include it, please have a good reasoned point.

A64, 3200, 939 Pin.
A8N-SLI Deluxe (Non-SLI Version, however I can't find it on their site atm :P)MotherBoard (http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm)
PCI-e X800 XT PE.
2GB 3200 DRR.
Aquagate cooling.
2x80 GB SATA + 120 GB IDE HDDs.
DVD RW +/- x16 Dual Layer.

Already gots me a nice iiyama MA203DT for it (as hinch would attest to).
7.1 sound system and card already acquired.
Keyboard fine.
Mouse:
the nice new LX 1000 from Logitech.

naimex
13-12-04, 22:21
its really nice...

only 1 downfall....

me no like amd...

Dribble Joy
13-12-04, 22:22
Only 2 gigs of ram?

//edit:
Thought you were leaving?

Xeno LARD
13-12-04, 22:24
Woah ho, nice. Good to see another AMD at the heart of a system.

naimex
13-12-04, 22:35
Woah ho, nice. Good to see another AMD at the heart of a system.

*traitor*

Xian
13-12-04, 23:26
Been Saving for a month or two, finally put my order in, I have my reasons for everything on this list, so if you have a good point as to why not to include it, please have a good reasoned point.

A64, 3200, 939 Pin.
A8N-SLI Deluxe (Non-SLI Version, however I can't find it on their site atm :P)MotherBoard (http://uk.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8nsli-d/overview.htm)
PCI-e X800 XT PE.
2GB 3200 DRR.
Aquagate cooling.

Already gots me a nice iiyama MA203DT for it (as hinch would attest to).
7.1 sound system and card already acquired.
Keyboard fine.
Mouse:
the nice new LX 1000 from Logitech.

I can't find any real reason for my comment but I'd like to hear yours - why not go for a meatier processor? You seem to be splashing out quite a bit already. :p

Even with the 3200+ that's a darn nice setup. The MA203DT is a nice monitor, I've been using it for graphics stuff a lot and it's nice and clear. Oh, and if the LX is the laser mouse - I would suggest just a corded mx400+ series mouse, they still rule the roost for gaming. (I've used them a lot for CS, they're a bit dodgy. 'tis RD by the way, so you know I do play it :p)

Terayon
14-12-04, 01:14
just wondering... what kind of machine are you running right now?

Xeno LARD
14-12-04, 02:32
*traitor*
I was never a intel whore. No traitoring here.

Intel sucks.. men

wombat74
14-12-04, 02:43

You mean the K8N4-E Deluxe? nForce 4 Chipset, Socket 754, yadda yadda... nice machine :)

Unless you've already bought the drives, why not go for a single 200GB SATA, or if you can afford it, get a pair of 120's or 160's and RAID them (stripe) - That motherboard happily supports RAID 0, 1, and 0+1

I got the LG dual layer burner - bloody nice little unit. I've also heard good things about the Sony DRE710A - a new firmware version came out yesterday with 12x DVD-R burning support and 4xDVD+R DL support (info can be found here (http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/product.jsp?selectedProd=DRU710A ))

One other question - what case is the whole kit & kaboodle going into? The water cooling kit you're getting looks mighty fine in a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream (that's what I have :P)

QuantumDelta
14-12-04, 03:57
Only 2 gigs of ram?

Budget.

1400 is really quite enough :p

just wondering... what kind of machine are you running right now?
(01:41:35) (QD|DotA) (CPU) 1-AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+, 2091MHz, 512KB (18% Load) .:. (RAM) usage: 368/1024MB (35.94%) .:. (GFX) RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary, (Display) 1600x1200/32bit/85Hz
(01:41:35) (QD|DotA) (OS) Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (5.1 - 2600), (installed for) 21w 5h 26m, (uptime) 1w 2d 6h 56m 4s .:. (HDDs) 58.1GB/228GB(25.4%) free

I can't find any real reason for my comment but I'd like to hear yours - why not go for a meatier processor?
That's the reason I'm RAID 0ing the HDDs, so that a 939 HyperTransport System will be enough to 'all round' it.
The thing is, the next Proc up from the 3200 is a £70 Jump and it's already hover around the £1400 Mark.

You seem to be splashing out quite a bit already. :p

Basically to buy a system to last me a few years.

Even with the 3200+ that's a darn nice setup. The MA203DT is a nice monitor, I've been using it for graphics stuff a lot and it's nice and clear. Oh, and if the LX is the laser mouse - I would suggest just a corded mx400+ series mouse, they still rule the roost for gaming. (I've used them a lot for CS, they're a bit dodgy. 'tis RD by the way, so you know I do play it :p)
I'm still considering the mouse, I think I have a MX400 atm. Great mouse.

You mean the K8N4-E Deluxe? nForce 4 Chipset, Socket 754, yadda yadda... nice machine :)

939, going for upgradability, if i'm forced, so that FX is there as an option.

Unless you've already bought the drives, why not go for a single 200GB SATA, or if you can afford it, get a pair of 120's or 160's and RAID them (stripe) - That motherboard happily supports RAID 0, 1, and 0+1
Basically, since i'll be having two machines (see above), I wont need "storage" space.
The 120 will basically be quick backup and restore, and other laziness functions :D
The reason the drives are small, is budget, since they're not going to be Raptors (Which I was SOOOOOOOOOO tempted to get), They're 8mb cache, and about 14% Performance loss on the 76GB Raptors ;)

I got the LG dual layer burner - bloody nice little unit. I've also heard good things about the Sony DRE710A - a new firmware version came out yesterday with 12x DVD-R burning support and 4xDVD+R DL support (info can be found here (http://www.sony.com.au/support/product/product.jsp?selectedProd=DRU710A ))

Cheers for the link.
Question:
Is that Multinational?
My current DVD R/W in this system is pissing me off, you only get five region changes before it says "FU I STICK TO THIS REGION FOREVA!" :|

One other question - what case is the whole kit & kaboodle going into? The water cooling kit you're getting looks mighty fine in a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream (that's what I have :P)
The case is the let down.
And also related to the reason for the AquaGate.
The case wont be seen unless I LAN.
See, it'll be tucked away in a Wooden IKEA Computer desk that actually fits a ATX width case like a glove (STUPID!! STUPID!! ....air.....flow........).
Therefore Heat wise, water is all I could have in my tiny room.

Casewise...
A Basic case, at least until I move out.

darkservent
14-12-04, 04:10
Ive wondered alot about water cooling and it being the most adopted nowadays. How reliable is it?? Will it explode on me and fuck my system up?? Is there any weaknesses to them as in the move to much and itll fuck up issue?

QuantumDelta
14-12-04, 04:18
Ive wondered alot about water cooling and it being the most adopted nowadays. How reliable is it?? Will it explode on me and fuck my system up?? Is there any weaknesses to them as in the move to much and itll fuck up issue?
Very, these days.
If you buy quality, anyway.

Do yourself a favour though with any water cooling system, run the solution through the system a few times, sealed, before you attatch it to the CPU.

Just to make sure.

wombat74
14-12-04, 04:52
939, going for upgradability, if i'm forced, so that FX is there as an option.

Hmm, I've got the December ASUS product catalogue beside me and there is no ASUS nForce4 board without the SLI stuff? Are you going for the VIA chipset instead? (still a nice chipset - actually my preferred one for the socket 735 boards - haven't played with the 939 yet)

Basically, since i'll be having two machines (see above), I wont need "storage" space.
The 120 will basically be quick backup and restore, and other laziness functions :D
The reason the drives are small, is budget, since they're not going to be Raptors (Which I was SOOOOOOOOOO tempted to get), They're 8mb cache, and about 14% Performance loss on the 76GB Raptors ;)

Sounds fair to me, I've got a Barracuda and a Caviar in mine (stupid WD - I had no choice with that one because the 200Gb Seagate I got died in 3 days, and I needed the space in a hurry). I recommended the striping (Raid 1? I can never remember heh) because it does increase read-through performance a lot. And it's just plain neat to say you have a RAID array in your system lol

Cheers for the link.
Question:
Is that Multinational?
My current DVD R/W in this system is pissing me off, you only get five region changes before it says "FU I STICK TO THIS REGION FOREVA!" :|

Not sure - I know my LG is a region-slut, but I haven't had a chance to play with the DRU710A yet to be able to tell if it cares or not?

The case is the let down.
And also related to the reason for the AquaGate.
The case wont be seen unless I LAN.
See, it'll be tucked away in a Wooden IKEA Computer desk that actually fits a ATX width case like a glove (STUPID!! STUPID!! ....air.....flow........).
Therefore Heat wise, water is all I could have in my tiny room.

D'oh, I actually got an Ikea desk a few months ago - the Mikael with the hutch and glasstop - plenty of space, and wide open milage for the computer underneath, but if space is limited I can understand what few choices you've got for the case. Just make sure you've got a front 8cm fan at least (preferably 12) as well as a rear fan (12cm). Sure you're putting water cooling on the CPU, but don't forget the GPU and the HDDs can put out plenty of heat, too (Zalman do a nice HDD cooler attachment for their water cooling kits, the downside it needs to go into a 5.25" slot, every man and his dog do a GPU water cooler)

triXter
14-12-04, 12:27
Basically to buy a system to last me a few years.

To achieve this, I would ditch the ATi gfx card and go for nVIDIA together with a SLI mb.
This way, you can buy a second 6800 card a year or so from now, when the prices are lower, and get a system that will still be able to compete with new systems for a relatively low cost.

Xeno LARD
14-12-04, 16:18
Main problem with watercooling is condensation I hear. I don't really like the sound of it, having said that i've never played with it.

Do you have to top it up every-so-often? What about maintenence, do you have to bleed it?

THE_TICK!!!!
14-12-04, 18:01
go AMD!!!! AMD ROCKS !!! that being said...as xeno said whats the deal with condensation ? does it happen..and if so whats the fix ? just wondering since ive been lookin toward water cooled for a bit..and have been wondering about condensation..but have found nothing about it anywhere.

Terayon
15-12-04, 05:15
condensation: The process by which a gas or vapor changes to a liquid. Since it occures when the temperature gets low and gas in the air must be forced to turn to liquid becouse it frees up more energy, which the surounding area wants. it shouldent happen in water cooling systems becouse the temperature is usaly 25C - 45C. Unless im a moron. Ive only taken science 14 and i skiped most of the classes.

THE_TICK!!!!
15-12-04, 18:06
well your right...but since i ALWAYS have to take one step further...i was goin to take the core and put it in my fridge :P behind the beer...to make it colder...and im wondering if the tempature difference would be to great..therefore causing the dreaded condensation...

Kozmos
15-12-04, 19:23
With that motherboard and cooling you should have no problems pushing your 3200 to a 3500.

Im on prettymuch same system, apart from a shite graphics card (fx5200 128mb, next thing to upgrade) and a audigy2 extigy with 3gb DDR3200, my graphicscard is the bottleneck atm as its a complete steaming pile of cheap shit i bought for 29 quid after my fx5600 fan died and toasted the card :(

Terayon
16-12-04, 05:21
Thats one massive bottleneck! i mean realy.... you should have just bought 512 ram and got a 6600gt. Even a 9800 pro would be great asuming you got your 5700 before the next gen stuff. Your performance would go up like times 3. Lets see what influences gaming most.

videocard----|----everything else

As you can see they are about the same. Why people will buy an incredable computer and get some middle range video card, i have no idea.

(when i say times 5 performance im comparing your 5700 with 2 gigs of ram to a 6600gt with 512)

Realy there is a celleron 1.3 gigs with 512 or 256 sdram with a 9600 pro. The card is overclocked slightly and becouse of that it matches my computer with my 9600 np. I have a barton 2800+ overclocked to hell along with my 512 ram running at 380.

anyways im done ranting. im just waiting for c2p to activate my account. i have no idea how long this takes. wish i could hit a button that says activate and just put in my card details again.

spongeb0b
21-12-04, 02:02
very nice setup there m8 if only i had the money :rolleyes: btw naim sry but AMD > intel anyday

jini
22-12-04, 07:28
condensation: The process by which a gas or vapor changes to a liquid. Since it occures when the temperature gets low and gas in the air must be forced to turn to liquid becouse it frees up more energy, which the surounding area wants. it shouldent happen in water cooling systems becouse the temperature is usaly 25C - 45C. Unless im a moron. Ive only taken science 14 and i skiped most of the classes. condensation is dependant on atmosphere humidity and occurs after a certain temperature level is reached, which is of course lower than current atmospheric temperature, but some times this deviation is very low especially if humidity is high.
Take a glass of cold water and watch how fast it accumulates moisture, especially when humidity is high. Get the same glass and put it near an airconditioned room and you ll see moisture dissapear (A/Cs dehydrate room)