PDA

View Full Version : Curious Noob

Telekon
10-12-04, 20:17
I played Neocron for a few weeks at its US release in Fall (2002?) and loved the atmosphere but found the missions to be a repetative grind. I also thought the character generator had too few options, resulting in many 'clones.' I liked the fact that I could have an apartment but I couldn't decorate with loot/trophys on visible shelves like I could in Morrowind.

I now see that Neocron 2 is released and am curious. I've been playing City of Heroes and like it a lot, but I have to say that the darker sci-fi setting of Neocron has more potential appeal.

What's changed in Neocron 2 that would make me stay longer this time?

capt-o
10-12-04, 20:28
You can decorate your apt now, in fact there are stores dedicated to it. However no trophies or loot are available currently for this. See the apt decoration thread for a better idea.

The character selection screen is greatly improved with several options and models. The main drawback I've noticed is Spies and Private Eyes look alot alike.

The only change mission-wise has been to the res/con missions these are now done completely inside the faction HQ. They do not require you to buy the item or parts anymore

Nidhogg
10-12-04, 20:44
Someone's a Gary Numan fan. ;) There are also a bunch of new so-called epic runs that are far more complex than a simple runner mission. The upcoming HackNet patch will also add some functionality that can be used to improve the possibilities for all kinds of quests. ;)

N

Shadowbreed
10-12-04, 21:51
The upcoming HackNet patch will also add some functionality that can be used to improve the possibilities for all kinds of quests. ;)

N

oooh come on spill it!!! you know you want to tell us the details

Please? :(

Telekon
10-12-04, 23:31
Thanks for the replies. I think I want to make a Drone user, does that mean I'll be a Spy? How about a Privateer? I didn't see Privateer in the "Professions" forum -- is that because Privateer is a class and not a profession?

Do you get a Drone right off the bat, or do you have to buy one after spending time with a starter pistol? If so, what's the best way to get a Drone quickly?

As for hiding, does it help to create a cammo-type outfit to remain concealed? Are there stealth powers to help me remain concealed? Is the terrain typically conducive to finding hiding spots? Should I put anything into defense or just resign myself to being a glass cannon and focus on offensive ability?

Thanks in advance.

PS - as I continue to read the boards, I just remembered that hacking is similar to hacking in the game Paradroid. Are hacking and droning mutually exclusive, or could I do both?

Spermy
11-12-04, 00:21
Thanks for the replies. I think I want to make a Drone user, does that mean I'll be a Spy? How about a Privateer? I didn't see Privateer in the "Professions" forum -- is that because Privateer is a class and not a profession?

no. Spies or PEs make droners. Choose rigger to start off with a drone.

Do you get a Drone right off the bat,

yes - riggers do :)

or do you have to buy one after spending time with a starter pistol? If so, what's the best way to get a Drone quickly?

Boobs and guns - or the test vendors that are still about
As for hiding, does it help to create a cammo-type outfit to remain concealed?

No. But it looks bloody nice!

Are there stealth powers to help me remain concealed?

Stealth tools are good for spies to get into position, but effects wear off after a short time - use it to get to a hiding spot not FOR hiding

Is the terrain typically conducive to finding hiding spots? Should I put anything into defense or just resign myself to being a glass cannon and focus on offensive ability?

Well, You are as a droner - a glass cannon, but at OPs and certain drones... well, thats a f**king big cannon - drones are very useful if used correctly.

Thanks in advance.

PS - as I continue to read the boards, I just remembered that hacking is similar to hacking in the game Paradroid. Are hacking and droning mutually exclusive, or could I do both?

You can ideed excel at both.

HTH m8

Dribble Joy
11-12-04, 01:35
The only thing that the 'proffessions' currently affect regarding your character is the starting equipment. However only cirtain classes can select a particular proffession.

CoH has an insane char creation system, it's one of it's main selling points.
Comparing most MMORPGs to it will see it succeed by a great margin.
That said the NC one at initial creation could be improved. There are quite a few skins, but only two types of trouser/shirt models and only one head model.
Further options and char image alteration is planned, but in the open beta of NC2, there were a lot of graphical and other coding problems that cropped up and we are only just beginning to see that side of the game starting to be adressed.

NC is a niche game, it allways will be. It's heavy PvP orientation will take care of that, and it's adult nature and cyberpunk atmosphere.
That said, we need more people.
Just ignore the morons and gankers :p.