PDA

View Full Version : [Brainport] An idea to solve the allied ganking...?

Obsidian X
10-12-04, 15:44
Ok this ones quite a long one so bare with me...

One word - NCPD. Make the NCPD a playable faction. Sound stupid? Hear me out for a second. It would require a mature and active FC to run the NCPD (thinking of the way Anarchy Breed is managed on Pandore). NCPD is not a faction you can start in, only rigorous testing and selection by the leaders of the NCPD faction will permit new members.

Heres where this idea might fall on its arse but I'll carry on anyway. Naturally, the NCPDs job is to police the city, ergo the NCPD faction has this same job. The NCPD building in Via 3 could be reopened, and permit entry based on faction (i.e. only NCPD members can enter).

The NCPD section of the citycom would need to be greatly enhanced. For example, instead of just showing Red SLers, it also has a "Report" button, where a complaint can be filed to the NCPD against a particular runner or clan. This report will arrive at the NCPD HQ, which will then be investigated by runners in the NCPD faction. NCPD runners will also have designated "patrol" duties, so if they spot anything suspicious, they can call for backup over their Faction chat. NCPD runners, if they believe a runner to be guilty of a crime, can caution, fine, or simply kill the runner. Persistent offenders can be manually added to the NCPD wanted list, irrelevant of SoulLight. This will help to combat the "Allied gank, run to CityAdmin and do Res Mission" strategy. Such additions to the wanted list are removed only at NCPD's discretion. In the case of one runner from a clan causing trouble, his clan can be fined, and warned about runner X's behaviour before the whole clan is penalised for his actions. Again, this might encourage clan leaders to keep a tighter leash on their runners. NCPD runners recieve little or no penalties for killing criminal runners, but as criminal in this case is subjective, here is where problems could arise. Corruption could be a serious problem, as could NCPD officers abusing their power, which is where the NCPD FC comes in. Reports against abusive officers could be filed, and if proven to be founded, said officers would be immediatly booted from the faction, with no chance of returning.

Now whats to stop criminals simply ganking the NCPD runners? Nothing in theory, NCPD runners are in real danger all the time just like other runners. Now heres where I can see flames incoming. NCPD runners could have two faction restricted items from their FSM - copbot rifles - the paraspam ones (boooo!) and Copbot armour, which doesn't give any signifcant bonuses over normal armour, except the look. There should also be class restrictions on the NCPD, for example, monks should not be allowed into the NCPD (in RP context because of their feud with Reeza, in reality becuase copbots casting Holy Lightning would look stupid). Melee stun-baton weapons could be introduced, or copbot pistols (no beam effect though) to give some kind of variety. NCPD are also in charge of providing Bounty rewards to runners.

Each zone in Neocron (well at least Plaza and Via zones) could have a panic button, which when pressed, works like an apartment doorbell, but in the NCPD HQ. An alarm is sounded, something like "Runner X has sounded the panic alarm in Plaza 1!".

These are just a few ideas I've had about it. There are obviously potential problems with it, as with any new system, I've not worked everything out yet. The problem I see with it myself, is that the NCPD is RP and PvP based. I'm not sure there are enough mature players on Terra to make NCPD a workable faction, and of course the choice of FC would be imperative to how well this system works. Also, a system like this would require far less 120/120 AI copbots and Screaming Horse guards. My dream is to have Neocron safe, but not through game mechanics or an army of 120/120 machines, but by runners themselves. Think copbots, with human intelligence. Unlike Neocron 1, where you couldnt break the law in the city, with this system in NC2, you could easily break the law, but you would give it serious consideration first.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions, criticisms? Keep it clean and constructive please :D

Dribble Joy
10-12-04, 16:23
No monks in NCPD would be cool if PvP wasn't so heavily reliant on them.

Much much MUCH harsher restrictions on allied killing needs to introduced. Like complete refusal to be served by vendors, more emphasis on faction sympathy, the removal of SL or at least heavily reducing/stopping entirely it's regeneration over time. Access to cirtain services, like NF/WZ, the clubs and the subway.
Clanwars to be introduced, which must be agreed by both sides before it takes effect. CA/DoY/faction councils should be able to void the clan wars if nessicary to keep order.

LiL T
10-12-04, 16:44
I had a more or less the same idea during NC1 it should be still floating in the forums I might have to dig it up and provide a link. Basicly its more or less the same but without the need of a FC to control who they let in.

/EDIT

nah its gone :\

It was like this too join NCPD you would have to do a qwest much like an epic at the end of it you would be rewarded a copbot rifle none of this PARRA crap. No the real deal instant ganking gun that people use to fear, it would let you respond with swift and deadly force. If someone has neg sl and is spotted by an NCPD faction member it is then that members dutie to give a propper and fair trial which is normaly Death ! Too stop people abusing there NCPD power to simply gank people they would lose there copbot rifle and membership upon killing any green soullight player . NCPD would be neutral to everyone and unable to take outposts but could still form clans.

I think my idea also inclued the complete removal of soullight belt drops